Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 am 

Storming Hate... they might not have been out to reinvent the wheel but they struck a chord with me... Finnish NSBM project that only released a 3 song demo in 2010 but it was enough to get me excited... I was really hanging out for some new material and looking forward to hearing more from them but unfortunately they called it quits a month ago...

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sto ... 3540311521

Anyone who knows the true status of Abyssic Hate or Svartedauen (Russia) let me know too... been like 12 years now since anything new from Abyssic Hate and Svartedauen's offering on their one and only (split) release with Moloch back in 2010 really blew me away, really hope I haven't heard the last of them...

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sva ... 3540301546

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 am 

..and Det Hedenske Folk... they only did that split with Abyssic Hate as far as I know... well they only had three songs anyway... seemed to release them a few times over... they showed some real promise in my opinion... was a bugger they didn't keep it going...

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Det ... _Folk/1262

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 am 

Schaliach, melodic death/doom, only one release :( ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOP4KnTm3Yk

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Your opinion does not equal truth. Only Onward To Golgotha is real etc blah blah blah...

I think Bestial Warlust ended too soon. Would have liked a third album. I also would have liked to have seen a Zyklon - B full length, in the same destructive vein as the ep.

That's 'Onward To Arktoga'... and it alone is not a great song but I think it's a perfect way to end the album...

Another Bestial Warlsut album would have been great... but had they kept going we may not have Abominator... Subversives For Lucifer is better than both Bestial Warlust albums combined in my opinion...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 am 

DARKZSOU7 wrote:
Demilich of course.

This.

Timeghoul are in the same boat, but they've probably already been mentioned.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Veracs wrote:
They're average run of the mill black/thrash with no redeemable qualities, which is a shame considering they come from the same place as Bestial Warlust and Destroyer 666.

Really? Defiance was better you think?

Not a shame in any way. Satan's Cross continues the tradition of savage Aussie metal, had great riffage all over the place! I'd put it next to Cruel Force and Ketzer releases which are pretty much the best in recent times.

Ketzer are in the same boat as Nokturnal Graves... both just ok... nothing special for me... didn't have the same substance as the greats of the genre... I did really like Hunter's Moon tho... hope I haven't heard the last of that project...

...and Defiance was much better than satan's cross... just a matter of opinion tho...

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 am 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
Rippikoulu (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rippikoulu/18921)

Musta Seremonia is one of my favorite metal releases of all time. Just a crushingly heavy atmospheric doom/death masterpiece

It's a great piece of dark music! Does someone know, has there been any talk about re-releasing their first demo?

Also agree on Reverend Bizarre, Type O Negative and Bathory. Someone mentioned Nidhoggr's Ravens Over the Road of Kings -demo. I'd like to own that.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 am 

Vaneigens wrote:
LifeDemise wrote:
Excretion, Depravity and Vinterland :(

Dutch interview with Excretion, 17 years after "Voice of harmony".

-> http://addergebroed.wordpress.com/2012/ ... laat-komt/

Awesome, thanks!

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am 

Celtic Frost. Not because I feel they didn't accomplish enough in their fairly lengthy careers as they most certainly did, I just really wanted to hear what they would do in the wake of Monotheist. Its my favorite CF release and I just wanted to see where it would take them.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
THE band that ended too early? FUCKING DISEMBOWELMENT (There's Inverloch, but it's not exactly the same and how many albums could have been released to these days as Disembowelment?

Exactly what I came in here to write.

Also Dissection both times they ended actually. If Jon hadn't gone to prison I'm sure they could've made at least 1 or 2 more albums in the vein of SOTLB and then obviously he killed himself after making one album during the 'rebirth' era.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 am 

syx wrote:
There's a few bands I wish that would have carried on:

Thorr's Hammer
Lifelover
Life is Pain
Weakling
Carpathian Forest
Make A Change... Kill Yourself
Lyrinx

It's ashame when there is so many crap bands that don't know when to stop!

Make A Change... Kill Yourself comes with a new album this year entitled "Fri" (or "Free") and will play live as well :)

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am 

Dismember
Zyklon
Strapping Young Lad
God Dethroned
Ignominious Incarceration
Animosity
Burning Skies

and ofcourse the obviously:

Death
Pantera
Type O Negative

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 am 

SladeCraven wrote:
Celtic Frost. Not because I feel they didn't accomplish enough in their fairly lengthy careers as they most certainly did, I just really wanted to hear what they would do in the wake of Monotheist. Its my favorite CF release and I just wanted to see where it would take them.

you never heard of Triptykon's 'Eparistera Daimones' album??? Thats pretty much the follow up to Monotheist.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am 

Strange, I was just mentioning yesterday about how The Agony Scene ended way too soon (don't worry, most of these guys were out of the emo fashions by their final year). Their 2003 debut wasn't half bad either.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
Strange, I was just mentioning yesterday about how The Agony Scene ended way too soon (don't worry, most of these guys were out of the emo fashions by their final year). Their 2003 debut wasn't half bad either.

I think the exact same thing. For a metalcore band, they were pretty fucking good on that first album.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
GuardAwakening wrote:

I think the exact same thing. For a metalcore band, they were pretty fucking good on that first album.

I'd say it's a deathcore album, but they dropped some of the death metal influence later in their career; making them a metalcore band overall. But yeah that band had so much potential for themselves and to this day are really underrated.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 pm 

For more recent and yet unnamed bands I would have liked to see more output from both Splatterhouse and Frightmare.

Splatterhouse has easily been the best Carcass/Exhumed worship band since the originals and with only one full length and a couple splits I think they could have gone a lot further and probably gained some more of the well deserved notariety they never got. Quality song writing allowing them to sound unique from their influences while still carrying the torch of their predecessors. The House that Dead Built is a beast of an album.

Frightmare was a very unique creature. Pulling influence across genres of metal as well as smatterings of punk. Maniac Neil has a great ear for song writing and it shows as both of their 2 albums are riff fests from front to back.

On the Maniac Neil note... I would have liked to see Blood Freak continue in the vein of "Live Fast..." and "Multiplex Massacre" instead of whatever "Mindscraper" was too.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:34 pm 

Lethargy, great technical metal band with spastic riffing. Only released one album but the riffs in each song werre sweet.

The guitarist and bassist did go on to be in Mastodon. But I still would have loved another lethargy album.

IMO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm 

Mayhem... I mean if Dead had gone on to record DMDS and Euronymous to create more albums, it's a shame that they both ended up kicking the bucket so early, such promise! Necrovore is another band that ended way to damn early, only one demo! If they would have made a full length I know they would have dominated the scene and get the recognition they deserve.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:38 pm 

I'm not 100% sure about it, but Conception perhaps. They just released 4 albums - due to the their mediocre swansong I'm not sure what they would have become had they contiued but who knows.

I disagree as far as Death goes. TSoP is pretty damn bad. I think Chuck really tried to hard to sound technical and whatsnot on that one.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 am 

Obliveon - Would have loved to see further experimentation in the dark cyber post-thrash in vein of Technocarnivore....

Mindrot - crushin doom death / post-goth metal ...pretty ahead of its time...the followup band (Eyes on Fire) just sounds too gay and modern

HHIG - Why is Tragedy no good if its got most of HHIG in the line up ? what made HHIG so special ?...a couple of of more records sould have been fukin awesome but alas

Red Harvest - why o why ???? i know they have a big discog, but they could have made sooo many more albums full of new and intersting ideas as thye kept morphing continously

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 am 

Two African bands come to mind: Arcana XXII and Voice of Destruction.

Arcana XXII’s third album was worse than the second, but it was still good. I wished they had released one or two more albums before splitting up. And VoD, well, they never released as much stuff as they deserved to.

And yeah, Reverend Bizarre.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm 

Amesoeurs...

Boozie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 am 

Codeon: Great technical Death/Thrash band. Sami of Necrophagist played in this. They released one EP and one album, thats it.

KromleK: Weird Folk Metal band. They released 2 folk albums, their third one was an intense mix of black/death/pagan/folk stuff, they used up to 5 languages in their music. After that they split up.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:15 am 

Dio :( Ronnie died way too early.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:46 pm 

Does anyone know what happened to Immanifest?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Immanifest/3540300591

New songs go up on their MySpace & YouTube, and a full length album is promised, but... nothing.

Also, Anterior (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Anterior/93368) had a stellar debut album and a slightly disappointing second one, then called it quits. They should've stuck it out. Anyone can shake off a mediocre sophomore release, eventually.

stillborn_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 pm 

Godless Rising
Baphomet/Banished
Luciferion

All great. Sad they were ended.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm 

With the amount of obscure music I listen to, there are too many one demo wonders to count.

Techno Viper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 pm 

Violent Playground. Most people thought they were a joke, but their thrash metal was unique and fun.

Oliver Magnum-their self-titled debut album from 1989 is one of the best US power metal albums ever.

I didn't see anyone mention deadhorse. Really hard to describe. Very strange death/punk/thrash.

Angkor Wat's first album is not bad. I wonder what happened to them.

Totally agree with the Slaughter Lord and Warlord mentions.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 pm 

Woods of Ypres? I do think so... real shame on that one...

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

I agree with Baphomet/Banished. I'm from Buffalo and i know the drummer owns a catering company now there, maybe I could make the trip and ask him to get the old band back together :P haha. But really, they released The Dead Shall Inherit in 1992 then Deliver Me Unto Pain 1993, so they were right in the thick of the osdm scene. I wish they at least stuck around through the rest of the 90's releasing a couple more albums. As much as TDSI is my favorite OSDM album, I can only imagine what else they could of released had they stuck around.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 am 

For one, Toxik. They released a classic in Think This before disappearing. I'm glad they're back together now. I want a follow up to Think This, dammit!

One other is Demolition Hammer. They released one of the heaviest, most aggressive albums I've ever heard in Epidemic of Violence, and I would have loved to see where that lineup would have gone after that. Just imagine an album that could top that one! Sadly, the follow-up we got was Time Bomb, which wasn't even supposed to be DH anyway, so we'll just ignore that one.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm 

I agree with Acid Bath and Reverend Bizarre ending too early (Both among my favorite bands0.

I am surprised no one brought up Nocturnus, seriously even though I am not a huge death metal fan, I really enjoyed their stuff. The Key was a rather excellent album.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:14 pm 

In wrote:
With the amount of obscure music I listen to, there are too many one demo wonders to count.

Cool. You have fun with that.

On topic; Usurper for sure. Starting out as Celtic Frost worship but slowly evolved into something altogether more deadly. Band was on the top of their game in every area when they released Cryptobeast, which in my humble opinion, is one of the most underrated and overlooked masterpieces ever. Every song is perfect. Theier previous material was great too, everything they did was done well, just wished they'd made more of it!

tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:23 pm 

xpsychoblissx wrote:
Amesoeurs...

This.

& I also realized the other day that Woods of Infinity was over? I didn't know that!...
I'm late in news I guess

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:49 am 

Thrasher4life wrote:
In wrote:

Cool. You have fun with that.

On topic; Usurper for sure. Starting out as Celtic Frost worship but slowly evolved into something altogether more deadly. Band was on the top of their game in every area when they released Cryptobeast, which in my humble opinion, is one of the most underrated and overlooked masterpieces ever. Every song is perfect. Theier previous material was great too, everything they did was done well, just wished they'd made more of it!

This is killer stuff. Thanks for the Usurper/Cryptobeast rec. despite me just reading through. Ah, the things we get to find here on MA. :)

BlackMetalMilitia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:12 am 

Many other bands too but I have to say, definately Sacramentum. Their debut "Far away from the sun" is masterpiece.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:42 am 

lupin99 wrote:
I am surprised no one brought up Nocturnus, seriously even though I am not a huge death metal fan, I really enjoyed their stuff. The Key was a rather excellent album.

BlackMetalMilitia wrote:
Many other bands too but I have to say, definitely Sacramentum. Their debut "Far away from the sun" is masterpiece.

Do you people think before you write? These are good examples of bands that ended way too late rather than too early. You name their debuts, completely ignoring the fact that both bands went on to do two more releases (and Nocturnus more when they re-united) and no one ever admits to liking them or finding anything memorable about them. So obviously these are bands that should've called it quits after their first full-length rather than when they did.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 am 

MacMoney wrote:
lupin99 wrote:

BlackMetalMilitia wrote:
Many other bands too but I have to say, definitely Sacramentum. Their debut "Far away from the sun" is masterpiece.

Do you people think before you write? These are good examples of bands that ended way too late rather than too early. You name their debuts, completely ignoring the fact that both bands went on to do two more releases (and Nocturnus more when they re-united) and no one ever admits to liking them or finding anything memorable about them. So obviously these are bands that should've called it quits after their first full-length rather than when they did.

I actually prefer Ethereal Tomb to Thresholds, but it seems a number of people still think the latter album is good. I think even The Key was a bit of a fluke...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

Exodo from Spain, they released a single called Jezebell,1 of the finest traditional metal/speed metal albums ever then they broke up after one of their members passed, I think it was either the bassist or drummer. Damn shame, such an amazing album, awesome vocals, great guitar playing drumming and bassing, the works, everything you would ever want from that style.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next