Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 pm 

I agree with the common opinion that Radiohead is a great band- a modern legend and one of the few examples I can say with pride to one of my teachers when he asks, "What lasting bands has this generation of pseudo-artistic garbage given us?"

But does anyone else agree? I wanted more opinions beyond rabid hipster "Coldplay stoll frum Radiohead, an Radiohead is lik an arrt pop Tool omgsqueeeeel" for once.
After all, critics sawder Radiohead, calling them everything from a modern day Pink Floyd to even comparing them to Revolver-Yellow Submarine era Beatles.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:38 pm 

Just plain boring. They're one of those bands that lacks musical ideas and makes up for it with repetition and atmosphere. There is a place for that, but most people don't like that in their rock music. Sure, it's different, but also really boring. There have been hundreds of bands able to copy their sound, because their sound is very accessible and simple. That's the only way they've been able to survive as long as they had. And they're nowhere near Beatles level. At least the Beatles had hooks, and the odd key modulation, and catchy songs that you wanted to sing along with. Radiohead doesn't have any of that. Just drone drone drone and musical exhaustion. Two or three decent songs tops.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm 

^ Seconded, except for the part about how most people don't like repetition and atmosphere in their rock music. I think Radiohead's popularity is a testament to the contrary.
I have put serious effort into understanding what all the hype is about, but they just bore me to bits. The apparent genius of OK Computer just eludes me.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm 

If you want to get nitty gritty on how they write their music, and how it compares to the norm, well then yes, repetition has always been an important part of rock music. But classically, bands have always written in a "call and answer" style of writing. I'm watching this video where Greg Howe describes it very well. Of course, he's talking about improvisational soloing, but he also mentions how every area of music can benefit from adding discreet dynamics to different qualities of music, one piece at a time. Radiohead more or less takes a good musical idea and doesn't really bounce around with it. They just drag it on the ground and people soak it up or something.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 pm 

OK Computer keeps showing up on my recommended page on RYM. For being first on their charts... It's pretty bland.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Just plain boring.

Exactly. I don't get the appeal at all but everyone really likes them for some reason that I apparently don't see. And everybody listens to them or at least namedrops them like they were some super obscure band no one has heard of. Putting Radiohead under your favorite music on Facebook is like putting "hanging out" or "sleeping" under your activities

Caleb9000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:15 pm 

Personally, I see them as brilliant. I feel like in the 2000s, they were at their most inventive. An album such as Kid A showcases that they are able to experiment with different soundscapes, along with inventive structures. Their music is difficult to get into, as some bash them for lack of catchiness or aggression, but I have always greatly enjoyed their music. I also love to dissect their lyrics. "OK Computer" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Their new album, "A Moon Shaped Pool" is very appealing as well.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:20 pm 

Creep is the only song ive ever enjoyed by em, guess thats a pretty generic answer

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:28 pm 

I really wanted to like this band for quite a long time. There's some interesting guitar stuff and layers of cool keyboard parts in some of their songs. The vocals are so often terrible though and they're enough to basically put me off the band. Can't even listen to Ok Computer, which many seem to think is still their best album.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 am 

The Bends is just straight up amazing. All the techno bleepity bloop stuff seems pretentious and needlessly experimental but I definitely give them credit for not rehashing the same poppy stuff over and over. Radiohead is a challenging band that still manages to be massively successfully and I think they deserve it. My only issues is Radiohead fans seem to suffer from the Tool fan syndrome of insisting something is absurdly genius when it's just ahead of it's time.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 pm 

It seems like they're a special band for people who "haven't heard anything like that before"... because they haven't. People who tend have a bit more musical experience - or a deeper musical experience, if you will, for lack of a better term - tend to be less impressed. Despite having some interesting lush textures a lot of their stuff is really, really boring and they were never particularly interesting as a rock band. I hate Yorke's vocals but to give them some credit Kid A has some cool stuff on it... but isn't that impressive to me because I've heard similar stuff done in the 1970s with better vocals and more interesting arrangements. For instance:

But I guess a lot of their fans are blown away by the fact that a rock band could flirt with *gasp* electronic music... somewhat successfully!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:18 pm 

OK Computer is a pretty stellar album. Perfect soundscape for driving around a metropolitan area. Lots of malaise and uncertainty, and I like the evocative, odd lyrics. There are a ton of great melodies and surprising songwriting turns. "Paranoid Android," "Subterranean Homesick Alien" and "Karma Police" are inimitable songs, wonderfully written and played, very emotional. I like some of the other songs I've heard, too, but I haven't heard much of their full albums otherwise.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:05 pm 

I tried to get into this band when I was turning to metal, and kept telling myself that they were a great band. I was basically fooling myself with all that stuff. The first time I heard a song by them was when I was playing FIFA 2004, and "Myxomatosis" was part of the soundtrack. That's an awesome song, but the band's style completely changed after OK Computer, and I guess that's when they really became who they are, and became even more overrated. The only album from them that I can listen to is The Bends because it's their last truly guitar-heavy album with memorable songwriting. Also, Thom Yorke's singing absolutely blows. He's atrocious. I'm glad I stopped forcing myself to like them and now I stopped caring about them completely. New album? Fuck it.

LadyNyx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:03 pm 

I love Creep, enough to confidently call it one of my favorite songs of all time, but it's the only Radiohead song I've ever been able to enjoy.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 am 

Here's a band I should of put in the 'don't care about anymore' thread. I used to have a keen interest in the music, it was serviceable moody alt rock with just enough mild weirdness to retain interest, but basically Muse came along overtook them, Muse had more variety, more hooks and I didn't feel awful after listening to them. Radiohead became bland whiny background music and Thom Yorke a broken record.

Their latest single is so pompously vapid and ineptly self servicing I'd greatly prefer to listen to Ghosts by NIN a hundred times over! And don't get me started on those pathetic stunts to market their albums.. Deleting all social media accounts because so edgy and profound. Delete your band, please.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:10 am 

I've got OK Computer and while I like it (imho very similar to In Absentia by Porcupine Tree), I don't feel like being completely drawn into it. It's some sort of easy listening prog rock to me. There is just a big difference in musical quality compared to, say, A Social Grace by Psychotic Waltz.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 am 

Radiohead bores me to death. Sentenced's cover of Creep is way better. Any random modern rock band like The Killers or Editors or even The National are way less boring than Radiohead.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 pm 

The first album's ok, but everything from The Bends through Hail to the Thief is great to amazing IMO. I haven't really been able to get into In Rainbows at all and never even listened to The King of Limbs. Basically I feel like Kid A/Amnesiac were about the limit of the band as a really weird, progressive, creative force because Hail to the Thief definitely felt regressive, which is a bad sign for a band like Radiohead. Normally things like "progression" don't really do much for me at all, but it seems to be the driving force of what made their good material worthwhile and without that spark they are just kind of dull.

Maybe sometime soon I'll re-listen to In Rainbows since I honestly remember absolutely nothing from that album and will give the two new ones a shot as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:41 am 

way more Radiohead hate than expected here!

batman's got good taste, so that doesn't surprise me :p

Radiohead is a legitimately classic band that gets hyped by the most annoying people you knew in high school/first year year of uni. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that they completely turned post-grunge and experimental rock on its head at the time. Taking the arena rock style delivery and creating these quiet, powerfully emotional moments. Hell, even the newer stuff is actually really good - there's a streak of good to amazing songs one after another for albums on end - I think that you just gotta spend time with the whole album, rather than listening to single songs.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:08 pm 

Batman's taste in music outside of metal is awful... almost as bad as yours! :P

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:01 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
It seems like they're a special band for people who "haven't heard anything like that before"... because they haven't. People who tend have a bit more musical experience - or a deeper musical experience, if you will, for lack of a better term - tend to be less impressed. Despite having some interesting lush textures a lot of their stuff is really, really boring and they were never particularly interesting as a rock band. I hate Yorke's vocals but to give them some credit Kid A has some cool stuff on it... but isn't that impressive to me because I've heard similar stuff done in the 1970s with better vocals and more interesting arrangements. For instance:

But I guess a lot of their fans are blown away by the fact that a rock band could flirt with *gasp* electronic music... somewhat successfully!

I'd also suggest they're a seminal band for people's development where they hear this sort of thing for the first time and it leads them in other directions, so there's an emotional bond there. For me, getting into Kid A when I already was listening to Amon Duul, Hawkwind, Sonic Youth, PiL...it was like choosing to have some overcooked flank steak when there was also a medium rare ribeye on the table. I didn't get it then, I don't get it now, I probably never will get it.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:32 pm 

Love Radiohead, have done for almost 20 years now. Always supposed they were just a British thing, though; I knew they have always been hyped by the UK press. However, when it was when I started visiting Reddit about 3 years ago that I realised that they were one of those bands: the type of band, like Pink Floyd, Led Zep and the Beatles, that kids the world over spend all their time furiously masturbating over and arguing about their greatness on the internet ("No, they are objectively better than the music you like and here's why..."). So that was pretty distasteful to me. I just ignore all that stuff.

First album is trash, and The Bends is unquestionably one of the most overrated albums of all time. From OK Computer on, though, it's just brilliance. My personal favourites are Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows. Not heard the new one yet.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:00 am 

Radiohead is one of the only bands to completely sell out, and then say "we're gonna do ourselves" after making it big. The sentiments I share were already stated- OK computer and onward are fucking masterpieces of art, and can be appreciated by any and all music fans. One of the few bands called "great" from the most mainstream music listeners to the least.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 am 

I haven't listened to anything beyond The Bends. I thought it was cool. Especially Just.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:48 pm 

From the 3 songs I've heard in Metantoine's basement, they sounded like they had some really cool ideas for the instrumentation, but holy shit was the singer annoying.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:14 pm 

Radiohead is one of the most overrated piles of shit to ever exist. They're like the pseudo-experimental, less messianic-complexed little brothers of U2.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:23 pm 

I liked them for a week at one point in my life. They got old fast.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:31 pm 

Oh, should mention I gave In Rainbows (the two-disc version) a spin and actually did find a fair bit to like about it. I"m gonna give it a few more listens before checking out the two newer ones.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:36 am 

Radiohead are a good band and I appreciate that they do their own thing. Out of their music, from what I've heard I have to say I find The Bends to be their best album. OK Computer and Amnesiac are good as well. Kid A has some great songs on it but also a fair bit of somewhat directionless avant-garde stuff, and also has Idioteque which is just rubbish. Not really heard any of their post 2001 work properly to judge it.

However.... Radiohead are one of those bands with an incredibly annoying fanbase, as pointed out above, who worship them in a somewhat righteous way. When growing up and getting into music, I would often be put off by their more obsessive fans a bit.

But on the other hand the worship they received from their fans was nothing, but nothing, compared to the sheer scale of the arse-kissing that they received from the music press, and especially Q magazine in the UK. I used to read Q when I was about 15, and I have to say that literally every journalist writing for them seemed desperate to hype the band to high heaven. It REALLY irritated me to such a degree that it completely put me off the band, and to this day I just have an interest in their music rather than a full-blown love for it. Normally I try and look past journalist and media hype about bands, but in Radiohead's case I've just never been able to do so.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:40 am 

Boring and overrated, and I find it fairly entertaining that Muse was originally marginalized as a Radiohead clone and went on to take what makes Radiohead "click" and actually do it well. If Radiohead were good, they'd be Muse.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:44 am 

Huh, wow, I think "Idioteque" might be my second favorite Kid A track, after "How to Disappear Completely."

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 am 

I've always thought they were awful. I hear all the hip people revere them but the music I've heard was shit. I listen to a lot of stuff that isn't metal and they didn't impress me at all.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:57 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Boring and overrated, and I find it fairly entertaining that Muse was originally marginalized as a Radiohead clone and went on to take what makes Radiohead "click" and actually do it well. If Radiohead were good, they'd be Muse.

Yes, this to an extent. When Muse came out in about 1999 or so with their debut album so many people just dismissed them as "Oh, they're just ripping off Radiohead". Firstly, apart from some vocal likeness, I could never really understand that viewpoint at all, and Muse from their second album onwards have sounded quite different to Radiohead in all honesty. Secondly, they are a better band - great live show, more flamboyance, just more exciting songs, for the most part.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:16 pm 

Literally the first time I've heard of them. Sampled 'Creep' and a few tracks from OK Computer - monstrously boring stuff. Might just be me not getting it but it just fails to engage completely.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:35 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh, should mention I gave In Rainbows (the two-disc version) a spin and actually did find a fair bit to like about it. I"m gonna give it a few more listens before checking out the two newer ones.

I would say that In Rainbows was the only album I listened from beginning to end. I had their best of album and it didnt stick to me. There are many popular bands that dont appeal to me though - NIN, RHCP, GodspeedYBE, U2.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Literally the first time I've heard of them. Sampled 'Creep' and a few tracks from OK Computer - monstrously boring stuff. Might just be me not getting it but it just fails to engage completely.

Napalm_Satan lives under a rock. How about that Beatles band? I've heard they're going to be pretty big...

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

Creep is the only song of theirs I've ever heard on the radio. But I don't listen to a lot of alt/modern rock stations.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Creep is the only song of theirs I've ever heard on the radio. But I don't listen to a lot of alt/modern rock stations.

They play their more popular songs like "Fake Plastic Trees", "Karma Police", "No Surprises, etc come up on modern rock radio quite a bit where I live. But, "Creep" seems to be everywhere you go.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:57 pm 

Apart from a very few select tracks, Radiohead is the most boring, pretentious, and overrated band of their generation. I'm genuinely confused as to how they are so fucking huge. It's not like they make hit after hit. Their past few albums have been pretty weird and anything BUT radio-friendly. I saw them live in 2012 cause I was being a good friend, and I have to say it was hands down the worst live experience of my life.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:45 pm 

Pablo Honey was always a guilty pleasure, very catchy songs if you ask me. They sounded like a mix between the Pixies, Catherine Wheel and U2. All bands I wasn't very fond of on their own.

Took 3 more years for the Bends to came out so I stopped paying attention. plus it was like $25 bucks because it was only available as a British Import and didn't want to shell out the cash. 25 bucks was insane for a CD in 1995.

I slept on the band since. From what I heard te songs are super minimalist, quiet and boring. What is it that I'm missing?? Where is the brilliance?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next