Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 pm 

I agree with the common opinion that Radiohead is a great band- a modern legend and one of the few examples I can say with pride to one of my teachers when he asks, "What lasting bands has this generation of pseudo-artistic garbage given us?"

But does anyone else agree? I wanted more opinions beyond rabid hipster "Coldplay stoll frum Radiohead, an Radiohead is lik an arrt pop Tool omgsqueeeeel" for once.
After all, critics sawder Radiohead, calling them everything from a modern day Pink Floyd to even comparing them to Revolver-Yellow Submarine era Beatles.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:38 pm 

Just plain boring. They're one of those bands that lacks musical ideas and makes up for it with repetition and atmosphere. There is a place for that, but most people don't like that in their rock music. Sure, it's different, but also really boring. There have been hundreds of bands able to copy their sound, because their sound is very accessible and simple. That's the only way they've been able to survive as long as they had. And they're nowhere near Beatles level. At least the Beatles had hooks, and the odd key modulation, and catchy songs that you wanted to sing along with. Radiohead doesn't have any of that. Just drone drone drone and musical exhaustion. Two or three decent songs tops.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm 

^ Seconded, except for the part about how most people don't like repetition and atmosphere in their rock music. I think Radiohead's popularity is a testament to the contrary.
I have put serious effort into understanding what all the hype is about, but they just bore me to bits. The apparent genius of OK Computer just eludes me.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm 

If you want to get nitty gritty on how they write their music, and how it compares to the norm, well then yes, repetition has always been an important part of rock music. But classically, bands have always written in a "call and answer" style of writing. I'm watching this video where Greg Howe describes it very well. Of course, he's talking about improvisational soloing, but he also mentions how every area of music can benefit from adding discreet dynamics to different qualities of music, one piece at a time. Radiohead more or less takes a good musical idea and doesn't really bounce around with it. They just drag it on the ground and people soak it up or something.

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 pm 

OK Computer keeps showing up on my recommended page on RYM. For being first on their charts... It's pretty bland.

I hate music

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Just plain boring.

Exactly. I don't get the appeal at all but everyone really likes them for some reason that I apparently don't see. And everybody listens to them or at least namedrops them like they were some super obscure band no one has heard of. Putting Radiohead under your favorite music on Facebook is like putting "hanging out" or "sleeping" under your activities

Reply to topic