Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 pm 

Yeah, the title of the thread say all. I don't know much about the great Canadian Thrash Metal scene, but the bands from there are among my favorites and were a serious contender to the scenes from Germany or the United States. I want to know more bands, what are your favorites bands/album from Canada, and what you think about them in comparison with the scenes from USA and Germany.

For me, all from the mighty Voivod, Sacrifice, Razor, Infernal Majesty and Slaughter is essential. Other bands i can remeber are Voor, Dissection, Aggression, Soothsayer.

Please, share your opinion.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm 

From This Day Forward from Obliveon is one of the best metal records I've ever heard.

None Shall Defy is also a big favourite. A good example of thrash doesnt have to be fast to sound brutal.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm 

Aaattaack wrote:
From This Day Forward from Obliveon is one of the best metal records I've ever heard.

None Shall Defy is also a big favourite. A good example of thrash doesnt have to be fast to sound brutal.

Yeah, "None Shall Defy" slays. Obliveon is a hell of a band, i really dig their demo material and their first album.

Voivod - "Rrröööaaarr", Sacrifice - "Torment In Fire" , Slaughter - "Strappado" and Razor "Violent Restitution" are among the most brutal Thrash Metal ever made.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 pm 

I really like Ultimatum's The Iron Age. Mostly mid paced, slightly proggy thrash.

Sacrifice are the kings of Canadian thrash. Soldiers of Misfortune is a masterpiece.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm 

People should familiarize themselves with Disciples of Power.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:11 pm 

I would add the Aggression album, "The Full Treatment." That album stands up to just about any of the great thrash/death metal albums from that period (mid/late 1980s) in terms of both quality, intensity, and heaviness. Frickin' "Green Goblin" was one of the fastest most manic songs out at the time. Probably one of the most essential thrash albums of the era from ANY country.

Didn't get into Infernal Majesty as much; they were good, heavy, and all, but the songs didn't quite "flow" as well for me for some reason.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm 

I have to give props to Annihilator personally. I know a lot of people don't like them, but their first three albums and the stuff with Joe Comeau are absolutely amazing.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 pm 

I love Canadian thrash metal. I have been listening to a ton of Voivod the last few days. On top of that I listen to Sacrifice, Slaughter, and Razor a lot too.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 pm 

I love Canadian thrash metal. I have been listening to a ton of Voivod the last few days. On top of that I listen to Sacrifice, Slaughter, and Razor a lot too.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 pm 

Just want to drop in to quickly mention my second favorite band from Montreal: DBC !

Their 1987 debut LP was very impressive, killer stuff when it came out, and they continued branching out and expanding their sound on Universe. Too bad they didn't keep it going.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rHU_0a_tE

I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for Canadian thrash bands and the unique sounds/styles they so often have.

EDIT: Just remembered another great one: Malhavoc

Already incorporating industrial metal elements in the late eighties-early nineties, I thought they were very different and great sounding and would play this song all the time after first hearing it on a compilation of Canadian metal bands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDJHpXStadE
(this is a somewhat different, and not quite as good version from the one on the comp)

I am surprised to see no one reviewed any of their stuff here yet. They were practically my favorite band for about a minute there in the early nineties.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 am 

Voivod and Annihilator (both among my favourite metal bands of all time) aside my favourites are these:

Obliveon

Although every one of their albums has it's highs and lows they are a pretty cool band. My favourite might actually be the more "groove"-oriented Cybervoid.

Dyoxen

Like Obliveon these guys played technical thrash metal which is my kink. I'm pretty new to this band but their only proper album is really growing on me.

Sacrifice

Classic band for many. I'm not that into Slayer-clones but Sacrifice is an intense band who could also handle their instruments. I like what they did on Soldiers of Misfortune the most.

Razor

Fun and honest band. My favourites are Evil Invaders or Violent Restitution. Really gets your blood pumping.

Infernäl Mäjesty

There was a time when I prefered their debut to any SLAYER record. To be honest I kind of grew apart from the band but I still listen to them sometimes. Dark yet catchy as hell.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Kuranes Trevor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 am 

Maybe not quite thrash, but it's just really, really essential that everyone gives Exciter a listen!

Morbideath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 am 

RAZOR - Shotgun Justice :bow:

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 am 

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned, so here's an underrated album...

ENTROPY - Ashen Existence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY178IEUUG0

Really cool technical thrash/death metal. I haven't heard their other albums, but Ashen Existence is a killer album.

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 am 

Piledriver fuckheads, c'mon. I for one deeply appreciate Canadian thrash scene stance on homosexual: no room for faggots! Get lost fatty!

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 am 

None Shall DEfy is prob my fav thrash album that come to mind. The lyrics make me want to drive a transport truck into a flash mob.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 am 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:
Piledriver fuckheads, c'mon. I for one deeply appreciate Canadian thrash scene stance on homosexual: no room for faggots! Get lost fatty!

Yeah surely all canuck thrashes shared this motion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q70EANtQ1Bg
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am 

What about more underrated demo bands?

Yog Sothots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UwcaZE0G7M
Witcher Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXb2qDJH1wM
Voor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9IunKLuirU

Seconding Exciter and Annihilator, the first material of both bands is killer shit. "Heavy Metal Maniac" and "Alice In Hell" were some of the first canadian albums i listened.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:
None Shall DEfy is prob my fav thrash album that come to mind. The lyrics make me want to drive a transport truck into a flash mob.

Haha, agreed! Fucking perfect album. It's heavy and evil, but not evil in a way that takes itself so seriously, more of in a Rigor Mortis sort of way. Good fun.

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:15 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I have to give props to Annihilator personally. I know a lot of people don't like them, but their first three albums and the stuff with Joe Comeau are absolutely amazing.

Agreed! Jeff Waters is one of the most talented riffmeisters in my book. Also the ability to throw in lots of melody without losing the aggression is amazing (makes anthrax sound like poprock). Apart from the albums listed above I personally also love Criteria for a Black Widow.
Awaiting our reign

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:12 pm 

Don't forget Watchtower!

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm 

the american god wrote:
Don't forget Watchtower!

Watchtower?

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:16 pm 

Von Jugel wrote:

Watchtower?

They're not Canadian. My bad.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

MeTaLhEaD78943
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 pm 

Exciter is a great band. Their singer Dan Behleer plays drums and sings but he isnt in the band anymore sadly. Razor is also a great band their best album is their first in my opinion. Infernal Majesty is also great None Shall Defy is a classic. Unholier Than Thou is good too but not as good as None Shall Defy.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 am 

Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy is my favorite thrash album ever pretty much. I say pretty much because early Slayer often times gives them a run for their money.

Thumbs up for DBC.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

I agree with all this, I'll even pretend Watchtower are Canadian. I listen to None Shall Defy every week, Strappado is in my top 10, Razor is as well. I am bummed I don't own all of Razor's stuff I should get on that.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:14 pm 

I don't understand why so many people worship Annihilator, especially in Europe. Their discography is all over the place stylistically and their "classic era" stuff is average at best. They've had way too many different vocalists and Jeff Waters seems to think he's the greatest guitarist ever. I saw them live once and figured maybe they would impress me, but it was rather boring. They do have a few catchy songs though, and Waters IS a good guitarist, but the band is way overrated.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 pm 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
I don't understand why so many people worship Annihilator, especially in Europe. Their discography is all over the place stylistically and their "classic era" stuff is average at best. They've had way too many different vocalists and Jeff Waters seems to think he's the greatest guitarist ever. I saw them live once and figured maybe they would impress me, but it was rather boring. They do have a few catchy songs though, and Waters IS a good guitarist, but the band is way overrated.

Alice In Hell is a great album. I bought it right when it came out and I think it still holds up. But it starts and ends there for me, unfortunately.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm 

didnt the band Witches Hammer actually release an EP? I remember hearing it at Vibrations of Doom and liking it- good stuff, raw, fast technical death metal that was almost ahead of it's time.

I never really dug Annihilator too much, I mean they were decent, I didn't hate them or anything. But my opinion of them was always that they were a bit too watered down and average- they just never really had enough to rise above the other great bands of the era. Kind of like some of their contemporary bands like Defiance from San Francisco, or Mortal Sin from Australia- they were good, heavy thrash, good for what they were but just not very memorable or catchy; i.e. too run o the mill.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm 

My first metal show was DBC in Montreal (in 1988). They had quite the crossover appeal back then with a decent amount of punks with lumberjack shirts tied around their wastes mingling with the metal dudes, some who were obviously part of Quebec biker gangs. Good times. The band that came on before them, Cremains, I remember being pretty good. I never checked out DBC's second album...I had moved and stopped following them. I still have their debut on LP though.

As for Sacrifice (my second metal show!), my favorite of theirs is still Forward To Termination. When I got Soldiers Of Misfortune, I remember being disappointed at the time and don't remember why. I'll have to revisit it someday.

Voivod were friggin' kings back then in Montreal. Loved War And Pain and Killing Technology.

Last edited by Liquid_Braino on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:56 pm 

Came to say Dead Brain Cells! Awesome band. Intelligent lyrics on the second album!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:52 pm 

Sacrifice will always be one of my absolute favorite thrash metal bands. Loved them since Torment In Fire.

HeavyAsHell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 pm 

Aaattaack wrote:

I'll second that. Best bass lines in thrash metal, great vocals (which is rare), great riffs, great solos. Although I think that a couple of songs aren't very good and could have been better. Sadly their later albums aren't even half as good as the debut.
Aeonblade wrote:
I really like Ultimatum's The Iron Age. Mostly mid paced, slightly proggy thrash.

Sacrifice are the kings of Canadian thrash. Soldiers of Misfortune is a masterpiece.

Ultimatum is worth a listen for a "Siege of Caffa" song alone. One of best thrash songs I've ever heard - and I've heard a lot (I'm familiar with ~80% of thrash metal albums listed at MA from 1983 to 1997). It starts very good, then gets even better, and then makes you headbanging like a maniac at the end.

Soldiers of Misfortune, again, is one of my favorite thrash metal albums, but it is a tricky one. It is filled with a huge amount of excellent riffs and solos, but it requires carefull listening for a full appreciation. It is not as good as Book of Covetous Souls @ Ravenous, but it is better then Coma of Souls or Time Does Not Heal (or Victims of Deception, or By Inheritance, or "I Hate Therefore I Am" for that matter - all albums are similar).
The_Erlking wrote:
Dyoxen

Like Obliveon these guys played technical thrash metal which is my kink. I'm pretty new to this band but their only proper album is really growing on me.

This is the only group I know that tried and succeeded at emulation of Megadeth sound. Musically I think that First Among Equals is what So Far, So Good...So What! should have been but never was. And it has better vocalist (you can't possibly sing worse than Mustaine :) )
Von Jugel wrote:
Alice In Hell is a great album. I bought it right when it came out and I think it still holds up. But it starts and ends there for me, unfortunately.

Agree. Alice is the only good album from Annihilator, but again, it needs carefull listening for a full appreciation.

Among other canadian albums that has not been mentioned yet, I would like to add 1990 - Chronical Disturbance - Foggy Creek, a great semi-technical thrash.

~Guest 290352
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 pm 

a couple that were not mentioned yet...

Overthrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsKYRWs3hp0

Deranged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGzHdQU0JHA

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm 

Not breaking any new ground in saying so, but I fucking love Razor. Shotgun Justice and Violent Restitution are two of my favorite albums of all time.

Reply to topic