Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 pm 

I thought they were finished, or this another one of their weird jokes? Either way, whether it's new material, old material, or stolen material, I'm a bit excited. But seriously, anybody know what's up with the band? I've literally only seen the album here and on blogs that put up music downloads, so there's not much information.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... ir/349169#

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 pm 

I find that I can't get into Velvet Cocoon, even if I wanted to, just because of what they did. It's a shame really, because I do quite like what I heard of their actual material.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:48 pm 

I guess Josh got upset that nobody was paying any attention to him anymore after he started that other project, so he went and put together another VC album.

I actually kind of like most VC stuff, especially Genevieve and the P aa Opal album (Northsuite is pretty good, too), but I dislike pretty much everything else about the "band" including "their" pretentious song titles, interviews, and statements. That being said, I would like to hear samples from the new album but all I can find are illegal downloads which I'm not going to bother with. Is it even for sale anywhere?

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm 

Genevieve and Northsuite are great, I'm hyped to check this out when I get home

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm 

samekh wrote:
I guess Josh got upset that nobody was paying any attention to him anymore after he started that other project, so he went and put together another VC album.

I actually kind of like most VC stuff, especially Genevieve and the P aa Opal album (Northsuite is pretty good, too), but I dislike pretty much everything else about the "band" including "their" pretentious song titles, interviews, and statements. That being said, I would like to hear samples from the new album but all I can find are illegal downloads which I'm not going to bother with. Is it even for sale anywhere?

I don't think there is any way to buy the new album so you might as well 'illegally' download it...

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:02 pm 

I have been looking all over the web for some official statements from their supposed label Khrysanthoney for this release, but there is no news or any links from bloggers on where to get physical copies either. So for now their album has been posted and like said above, an illegal download is the only way to get it.

Cyberwave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 pm 

Supposedly, it's a collection of live tracks recorded from last summer as well as a few new tracks. I downloaded it but have not listened yet, but I'm still glad it's out.

LoDebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 pm 

Wait, live tracks? Where are you getting that from?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 pm 

This whole thing is really weird. They're releasing a new album, but the page says they're still split up (unless that's just because there's not enough info to verify a reformation). It would seem rather pointless to start up again seeing that they have Clair Cassis which has the same lineup as Velvet Cacoon plus a drummer (I've always disliked that VC uses a drum machine). Although Clair Cassis's EPs are lacking, the album is fucking great.

I absolutely love Northsuite and P aa Opal.... is really good. Like Genevieve but I think it is somewhat overrated. Overall a really good band, I'd say. If they really are releasing this, I guess that's cool, though again I don't see the point when they have Clair Cassis going.

Michelle Massacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:51 pm 

Actually, they released new material under a new project name: Clair Cassis (that's the only one as far as I know)

It's not bad really, but it's no "Genvieve" for sure... I should listen to it a few more times before I can really give an opinion with any sort of detail. But one thing I did notice was that it pretty much sounds like all of the blandest parts of "Genvieve" played repetitively.
Something about it makes it less memorable, the riffing/tunes.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Clair_Cassis/3540303819

-Morla, from "The Neverending Story"

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm 

new album is very impressed im not aware if it is early songs compilation, live or new recordings but all very flows in the typical velvet cacoon style of ethereal blackened noisegaze

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm 

Michelle Massacre wrote:
Actually, they released new material under a new project name: Clair Cassis (that's the only one as far as I know)

It's not bad really, but it's no "Genvieve" for sure... I should listen to it a few more times before I can really give an opinion with any sort of detail. But one thing I did notice was that it pretty much sounds like all of the blandest parts of "Genvieve" played repetitively.

:nono:
Everyone here is familiar with Clair Cassis and their connection with V.C.. This thread is about a new Velvet Cacoon album.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Velvet_Cacoon/Eliquexnoir/349169

Michelle Massacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am 

Malthus wrote:
Michelle Massacre wrote:

:nono:
Everyone here is familiar with Clair Cassis and their connection with V.C.. This thread is about a new Velvet Cacoon album.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Velvet_Cacoon/Eliquexnoir/349169

Sorry, I got excited and posted too quick.

An actual Velvet Cacoon album...??

Excuse me while I freak out and celebrate with Dextromethorphan :drool:

-Morla, from "The Neverending Story"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:52 am 

So there's truly nothing concrete about this? I was excited got a second.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 am 

the newest album 'eliquexnoir' is of legitimate existance on many file sharing community

chelsea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

clair cassis muxtape page reads: "fake vc is fake".

source: http://claircassis.muxtape.com

the vocals should've been the first clue this is clearly not vc. khoney site has no mention of it either. fake.

Eelpop
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am 

Quote from http://www.last.fm/user/athousandsuns:

Quote:
The new Velvet Cacoon album you all had seen was made by me, and is actually my new Black Metal album under the moniker Queen of Heathens. But why go through all the trouble to say it’s a VC album?! Simple, to show just exactly how loyal of a fan I truly am. After helping to leak Luxury Absolute as well as supply the mp3s for the Dextronaut vinyl I was beyond distraught after being heavily lied to last year about two new VC albums. What caused an issue to me was how the info was presented to “test the loyalty of the fans to Josh’s art.” If someone doesn’t think I’m dedicated, why not show them by doing the very thing Josh has done and give a community a little buzz. Furthermore, why not prove my worth in the Velvet Cacoon world by attempting to be VC? If anything, I think my loyalty is proven simply for how much debate and ire this whole experiment has caused everyone and how so many people seem to have been really happy over such a lie. Thanks for playing along ladies and gents.

Quote:
i apologize for any frustration or hatred i may have generated for what i did, but i think we can all agree we had a fun past couple of days wondering just what was going on. if you'd like to see and hear the album that Eliquexnoir truly is, http://queenofheathens.bandcamp.com/album/ethereality is where you want to go. physical release will be an option in the future too.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:30 am 

Eelpop wrote:
Quote from http://www.last.fm/user/athousandsuns:

Quote:
The new Velvet Cacoon album you all had seen was made by me, and is actually my new Black Metal album under the moniker Queen of Heathens. But why go through all the trouble to say it’s a VC album?! Simple, to show just exactly how loyal of a fan I truly am. After helping to leak Luxury Absolute as well as supply the mp3s for the Dextronaut vinyl I was beyond distraught after being heavily lied to last year about two new VC albums. What caused an issue to me was how the info was presented to “test the loyalty of the fans to Josh’s art.” If someone doesn’t think I’m dedicated, why not show them by doing the very thing Josh has done and give a community a little buzz. Furthermore, why not prove my worth in the Velvet Cacoon world by attempting to be VC? If anything, I think my loyalty is proven simply for how much debate and ire this whole experiment has caused everyone and how so many people seem to have been really happy over such a lie. Thanks for playing along ladies and gents.

Quote:
i apologize for any frustration or hatred i may have generated for what i did, but i think we can all agree we had a fun past couple of days wondering just what was going on. if you'd like to see and hear the album that Eliquexnoir truly is, http://queenofheathens.bandcamp.com/album/ethereality is where you want to go. physical release will be an option in the future too.

what the fuck?

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm 

Wait, is this guy really claiming that the proof of his loyalty to VC is:

a) "leaking" (pirating) Velvet Cacoon and related material

and

b) passing off his own music as Velvet Cacoon in an act of self-promotion

???

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 pm 

Man, there's a lot of weird unnecessary drama that goes on with this band...and man, does it ever do a good job of stirring up hype over some really lame and unremarkable music. At the very least, these guys know how to market black metal.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:59 pm 

Is there a thread or an article someone can link me to explaining the "DRAMA" in detail... I don't really follow this band and didn't know about this until I saw some vague mention of it somewhere else on here less than a month ago...

So I'm curious.

Also, is VC a bunch of Dex junkies or something? This kinda-sorta-almost piques my interest, if only because I've had some profound experiences with DXM. Is this shit "designed to be played under the influence" or what?

LoDebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm 

samekh wrote:
Wait, is this guy really claiming that the proof of his loyalty to VC is:

a) "leaking" (pirating) Velvet Cacoon and related material

You misunderstand. He literally supplied the band with the mp3s that were used as masters for the pressing of the vinyl edition, and he was the first to recieve one of the CC EPs from the band to leak on their behalf.

Or so the story goes.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 pm 

they literally pressed mp3 files to vinyl?
You sure of this?

I mean, not all digital recordings = MP3, but then they wouldn't be the first to press lossy digital files saved as the master recordings either...

MrGonzo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm 

They were 128 kbps mp3s used in the dextronaut Khrysanthoney pressing. Neither the label nor Josh had the original unmastered version. This is what he gave the label.

Red_Beard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 pm 

Cyberwave wrote:
I thought they were finished, or this another one of their weird jokes? Either way, whether it's new material, old material, or stolen material, I'm a bit excited. But seriously, anybody know what's up with the band? I've literally only seen the album here and on blogs that put up music downloads, so there's not much information.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... ir/349169#

This is proof that Velvet Cacoon doesn't partake in the drama, they just start it and the fans and haters do the rest.

<3

Red_Beard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 pm 

MrGonzo wrote:
They were 128 kbps mp3s used in the dextronaut Khrysanthoney pressing. Neither the label nor Josh had the original unmastered version. This is what he gave the label.

Quite correct. The original wav tracks were destroyed in a fire which ripped through Josh's apparent shortly after the recording of "Dextronaut" (up in smoke went the famed Sterres and Pumkiva albums, too). Luckily, Josh had leaked a 128 bit version of the album before hand which is today contained on the "Dextronaut" CD and LP released by Khrysanthoney.

Reply to topic