Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 410
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
 

On Monday, the US Supreme Court takes up a case regarding whether or not a student was allowed to resell textbooks that he purchased overseas. While that is technically against the law, because of the overseas part, the ruling may also affect the First Sale Doctrine. Do you actually own items that you purchase?

Granted, this is textbooks, but this can also be a problem for music. When you buy a CD that was manufactured overseas, according to US law technically you are never allowed to resell it without permission. Not on eBay, not at a used record shop, not at a garage sale, not anywhere. And since many of us US buyers buy a lot of CDs that are simply not available in the US, that would pose an issue.

Which takes precedence - the law that says you can't resell items purchased outside the US, or the law that says once you buy an item it's yours and you can do with it what you want?

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8437
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:08 pm 
 

This one needs some links to make any sense. Provide them, please.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2124
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm 
 

How Supap Kirtsaeng’s Textbooks Idea Led to Supreme Court

What the Association of American Publishers has to say about it

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:00 pm 
 

GTog wrote:
Which takes precedence - the law that says you can't resell items purchased outside the US, or the law that says once you buy an item it's yours and you can do with it what you want?


what's the law in the US on this when it comes to guns?
if I don't want a waiting period or a licence or anything, can I just get a second-hand gun somewhere anonymously (ebay, pawn shop, etc.)? or are there laws comparable to 'not to be exported' telling you what you can and can't do with your own gun?
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
FlaPack
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:18 am 
 

Erotetic wrote:
GTog wrote:
Which takes precedence - the law that says you can't resell items purchased outside the US, or the law that says once you buy an item it's yours and you can do with it what you want?


what's the law in the US on this when it comes to guns?
if I don't want a waiting period or a licence or anything, can I just get a second-hand gun somewhere anonymously (ebay, pawn shop, etc.)? or are there laws comparable to 'not to be exported' telling you what you can and can't do with your own gun?


You can't buy guns on eBay and a pawn shop will perform a background check. Only second hand guns sold by private individuals who are not in the business of selling guns can sell one without a background check and they are prohibited from selling to you if they have reason to believe you may be prohibited from owning a firearm (say you happen to tell him you just got out of prison for murder). Check out the gunshow "loophole".

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 am 
 

FlaPack wrote:
You can't buy guns on eBay and a pawn shop will perform a background check...


Check out the gunshow "loophole".


cheers.

google suggests that the loophole may be a myth?
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group