Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 pm 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I don't listen to much brutal death, but I'm a big fan of Defeated Sanity, particularly Chapters of Repugnance. Can someone hook me up with some BDM like that with good production? (I consider Chapters to have good production)

Check out Realms of the Ungodly by Condemned.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 am 

^ Good album.

Not particularly memorable but man those sludgy downtuned parts were heavvyy

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

BabySchraiberJesus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Deadly Remains - Severing Humanity (2012)

Brutal Death in the mold of Defeated Sanity, Abnormality, and Pathology with really good production. Filthy sounding guitars, well-mixed drums, and overall quality musicianship with some unique leads and clean guitar passages mixed in on occasion, but mostly pounding BDM done at a high level. Instantly grabbed me. Rare to have such solid production among all instruments for a BDM band in this style. Loving it.

Fuck, I kept seeing this at the record store, thinking it looked bad ass, but forgetting to check it out. Now that I finally have I am kicking myself for not picking it up. This is ridiculously good.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm 

BabySchraiberJesus wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Deadly Remains - Severing Humanity (2012)

Fuck, I kept seeing this at the record store, thinking it looked bad ass, but forgetting to check it out. Now that I finally have I am kicking myself for not picking it up. This is ridiculously good.

Certainly among my most favorite albums this year. :)

Though I occasionally listen to Condemned's most recent one, it doesn't match the level of many others in the genre - except for it's fantastic artwork. Upon several re-visits, I really thought it would be better than it actually is.

I keep listening and keep loving the new Pathology. Not super-technical, but a constantly pounding, brutal machine of a band. So cohesive and tight. The solos are an excellent melodic diversion from the meat and potatoes chugging and tremolo-picked riffs. They creatively use many tempo changes and riff patterns that also keeps it interesting. Can't really get enough of this album. It rules.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:17 pm 

Check out:

Unfathomable Ruination - Misshapen Congenital Entropy (2012)

Spastic, ripping technical brutal death in the vein of Disgorge, Defeated Sanity, Dying Fetus, Visceral Throne, etc. etc. with very complex, technical guitars. Sick.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm 

^ Literally just posted that on the last page, man. Even had the same Visceral Throne comparison. But it's all good, if it gets some more people to check it. Really fucking good album. You should post the bandcamp link though.

I feel the opposite about Condemned though, its one of the better brutal releases in the last couple of years personally.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 am 

GravityLapse wrote:
^ Literally just posted that on the last page, man. Even had the same Visceral Throne comparison. But it's all good, if it gets some more people to check it. Really fucking good album. You should post the bandcamp link though.

I feel the opposite about Condemned though, its one of the better brutal releases in the last couple of years personally.

Haha! Damn! I read this thread all the time and somehow missed your Unfathomable Ruination post. Sorry about that. :durr:

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm 

Omnihility - Biogenesis (2012)

Blisteringly fast technical brutal death. Amazing stuff.

Spoiler: show

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 pm 

^^^
I'd totally forgotten about them. I have their demo, good to know they put out a full length. Definitely will be picking that up.

This was my introduction to them. Kind of amusing:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63303

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:55 pm 

I have been really enjoying the new Pathology. Much like their previous album, they present completely gratuitous riffs, guitar tones and productions. This usually goes badly for most bands, but Pathology somehow does it just right. I was never much of a fan until I saw them live and they won me over. It feels like guilty pleasure BDM, but I don't feel guilty about it at all!

Fuck, fuck, fuck, Deadly Remains! Thank you for that one! This kills. Very Defeated Sanity-esue indeed. Unfathomable Ruination is really good too. technical and brutal, just what one would hope to hear. Good picks!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Check out:

Unfathomable Ruination - Misshapen Congenital Entropy (2012)

Spastic, ripping technical brutal death in the vein of Disgorge, Defeated Sanity, Dying Fetus, Visceral Throne, etc. etc. with very complex, technical guitars. Sick.

Wow, that cover art looks like total shit.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 pm 

I see foreskin. Literally, it's a bunch of foreskin in my face. Thanks for being blunt, cover artist.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 am 

Phlegeton of Wormed did the artwork. Yeah... most of his work is pretty corny CG gore stuff actually.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:01 am 

I see sweet potatos.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm 

the album is good the art not so much.. i was wondering how does pathology stack up to stuff like decaying purity and defeated sanity...

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:59 am 

primitivevoid wrote:
the album is good the art not so much.. i was wondering how does pathology stack up to stuff like decaying purity and defeated sanity...

I think that all depends on your taste or preference. Both DS and DP are that grimy, distant, maelstrom of brutal death while Pathology is more of a pounding, chugging, crunchy discernible riff formulas. The production of Pathology is much better but the music is largely simpler sounding even if complex with timing changes and such. Pathology is more riff-based and not overly chaotic like the other two. I prefer to pound Pathology in the car with my sub, while with my system it's better for me to listen to DS (or DP) with headphones due to the somewhat distant production, chaos, and complexity of those two. Defeated Sanity might be a more intricate band, but I find myself listening to Pathology much more often. Pathology (at least newer stuff with Schwartz on guitar) has some cool solos added in, which provide a nice melodic contrast and they are done very competently. I also really enjoy Pathology's vocals (new and old) a ton, which is rare for me to say about a BDM or slam band. I actually love them both, and Decaying Purity is firmly in third place of those three in the discussion here.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
primitivevoid wrote:

I think that all depends on your taste or preference. Both DS and DP are that grimy, distant, maelstrom of brutal death while Pathology is more of a pounding, chugging, crunchy discernible riff formulas. The production of Pathology is much better but the music is largely simpler sounding even if complex with timing changes and such. Pathology is more riff-based and not overly chaotic like the other two. I prefer to pound Pathology in the car with my sub, while with my system it's better for me to listen to DS (or DP) with headphones due to the somewhat distant production, chaos, and complexity of those two. Defeated Sanity might be a more intricate band, but I find myself listening to Pathology much more often. Pathology (at least newer stuff with Schwartz on guitar) has some cool solos added in, which provide a nice melodic contrast and they are done very competently. I also really enjoy Pathology's vocals (new and old) a ton, which is rare for me to say about a BDM or slam band. I actually love them both, and Decaying Purity is firmly in third place of those three in the discussion here.

I basically agree with everything you've said here. Though, I'd like to make a slightly nit pick-y distinction regarding the production. I'd certainly say that Pathology's production, especially in guitar tone is much cleaner, even with its heavily distorted tones, and perhaps louder, but "better" is a subjective thing. A big reason that I enjoy Defeated Sanity's latest is because of the production. It's quite bass heavy, which means a lot of guitars get somewhat buried in the mix. However, unlike most instances, I found it to add to the overall sound since there is intricate riffing to be found after multiple listens.

I view DS - Chapters of Repugnance as a bludgeoning/pummeling, yet complex, album that can initially take some mental power to digest, whereas Pathology's two latest releases are much more gratuitous in their styles. Loud thick clean, yet heavily distorted, chugging guitars that instantly have one banging their head (or rejecting, depending on the person!). I've already retreaded some of what has been said, so I'll stop there, since Misfit74 already nailed it.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 am 

thanks for the input, i am relatively new to the bdm/slam sub genre,

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 pm 

Check out Dawn of Demise. really Groove/Slammy death metal with some pretty deep gutturals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-VMDMZVsk

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:54 am 

I guess many of you will laugh at me,but i always considered Sinisters "Cross the Styx" as one of the most brutal DM albums.
The energy and raw production sound so much more brutal than all those later overtriggered,mechanical "brutal" death bands with
most vocalists not that great either. I grew up with late 80's/early '90's DM so i guess i can't get in to these more "modern" bands.
Though i can appreciate a band like Hour Of Penance or such.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 am 

AuditaTremendi wrote:
I guess many of you will laugh at me,but i always considered Sinisters "Cross the Styx" as one of the most brutal DM albums.
The energy and raw production sound so much more brutal than all those later overtriggered,mechanical "brutal" death bands with
most vocalists not that great either. I grew up with late 80's/early '90's DM so i guess i can't get in to these more "modern" bands.
Though i can appreciate a band like Hour Of Penance or such.

The thread title is referring to bands who play the subgenre of "brutal death metal", not death metal albums that you think are particularly brutal.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 am 

Yeah, Diabolical summoning isn't brutal death metal. :roll:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 am 

but hour of penance is.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 pm 

They wouldn't be all that different if you took away the fancy production job Hour of Penance needs to make their music sound br00tal. Hour of Penance just has weaker songwriting, they both have plenty of intense blasting passages throughout their music and Sinister were very brutal for their time much more intense than Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and a lot of the American bands of the time.

Under_Starmere wrote:

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am 

anything good out recently ?

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:38 pm 

In order:

Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies - 2007 - Amputated Vein Records

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh - 1994 - Invasion Records

Kraanium - Post Mortal Coital Fixation - 2012 - Comatose Music

Viraemia - Viraemia - 2009 - Unsigned/independent

Vulvectomy - Putrescent Clitoral Fermentation - 2007 - Amputated Vein Records

Coprophiliac - Whining Bitch Treatment - 2012 - Sevared Records

Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated - 1999 - United Guttural Records

Abominable Putridity - The Anomalies of Artificial Origin - 2012 - Brutal Bands

Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony - 2005 - Gore and Blood Productions

Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting - 2008 - Unsigned/independent

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 pm 

Unfathomable Ruination debut definitely an excellent release, perhaps representative of brutal death metal this year. Not something 'refreshing' but highly addictive.

ThatzNOTmetaL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:13 pm 

Devourment-Butcher The Weak-2005-Brutal Bands

Amputated-Wading Through Rancid Offal-2009-Sevared Records

Kraanium-The Art Of Female Sodomy-2009-Pathologically Explicit Recodings

Cerebral Bore-Maniacal Miscreation-2010-Grindscene Records

Guttural Secrete-Reek Of Pubescent Despoilment-2006-Brutal Bands

Lividity-Til Only The Sick Remain-2002-Morbid Records

I could literally go on forever fucking love BDM but I shall stop there if anyone hasn't heard any of these releases I highly recommend them

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm 

Just stopping by to say that this album is excellent start to finish. Boils the blood yet so precise and tight. Really nice piece of work.

Aeon - Aeon's Black (2012)

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:53 pm 

I guess I don't like anything considered Brutal DM besides the forefather BDM bands that thought they were just doing death metal. I got over gargling pussy lip putridy-vocation type imagery in my mid teens, does nothing for me, the "shocking" bits of it are yawn inducing, I don't consider it death metal.

Now that's not negative criticism, like what you will cause you will, I'm just saying I find it boring. Diabolic is as close as I get to something new, is that BDM?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 am 

deicidefan wrote:
anything good out recently ?

I've been digging this heaps.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ma ... ics/347065

Their best material since Motivated By Hunger EP i reckon.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 am 

Thanks a lot for posting in this thread, there are so many great posts here that it makes finding new BDM so easy.

I know this one has been posted, but I had to put it in the thread again, just because it's that good.

Very good oldschool BDM, but with a specific melodic twist that is just amazing in some parts, such as the opening section of the title track, and the following riffs thereafter, it all just flows together very well. I find that one of the best parts of this album, aside from the quality of the riffs, are the harmonies and lead sections that really are just great. I wish I could find a copy for a fair price..

Anyone have one that their willing to part with for a decent price? pm

edit: Sorry for the overly large picture. It's good quality though.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 am 

LiberXul wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting in this thread, there are so many great posts here that it makes finding new BDM so easy.

I know this one has been posted, but I had to put it in the thread again, just because it's that good.

Very good oldschool BDM, but with a specific melodic twist that is just amazing in some parts, such as the opening section of the title track, and the following riffs thereafter, it all just flows together very well. I find that one of the best parts of this album, aside from the quality of the riffs, are the harmonies and lead sections that really are just great. I wish I could find a copy for a fair price..

Anyone have one that their willing to part with for a decent price? pm

edit: Sorry for the overly large picture. It's good quality though.

Great band. All their albums are really good.

Frozen Hearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm 

Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting.

Though, some may argue that Brain Drill is terrible, but I rather like them, so fuck you.

Gives me a headache whenever I listen to this album.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm 

Dehumanized - The Controlled Elite (2012) is worth checking out. Cover is lame so I'm not posting it. ;)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Dehumanized - The Controlled Elite (2012) is worth checking out. Cover is lame so I'm not posting it. ;)

listening now, I thought their first album was much better personally so far.

EDIT: The vocalist bores the hell out of me

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Spoiler: show
Abominable Putridity - The Anomalies of Artificial Origin - 2012 - Brutal Bands

Haven't heard the band, but I gotta say that that's probably some of the coolest artwork I've ever seen. It's almost captivating. :o

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 am 

Origin Discography, but thats just me :)
everything about it : production, vocals, guiatrs, the sweeps oh the sweeps, the dark atmopshere, the songs, the art, the lyrics

dont find gore particluarly interesting or exciting now
though i still spin symphonies of sickness and even some exhumed and impaled once in a while..

but still dig some opf the art themes / concepts in the labums posted here

is anyone here into brutal death metal that avoids the super low subhuman gurgling or at least mixes it up with other vocal styles ?

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:36 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Origin Discography, but thats just me :)
everything about it : production, vocals, guiatrs, the sweeps oh the sweeps, the dark atmopshere, the songs, the art, the lyrics

dont find gore particluarly interesting or exciting now
though i still spin symphonies of sickness and even some exhumed and impaled once in a while..

but still dig some opf the art themes / concepts in the labums posted here

is anyone here into brutal death metal that avoids the super low subhuman gurgling or at least mixes it up with other vocal styles ?

Funny you mention them because I'm listening to them now haha. I have only heard Antithesis a few times, but I loved it. Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas is seeming good thus far, too; reminds me a little of early-Ulcerate.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 am 

I haven't gotten through the whole thing, yet, but I can tell you that the new Splattered Entrails is fucking excellent. Wow. I dig the artwork a lot, too.

Splattered Entrails - Depths Of Obscurity (2012)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next