Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 am 

Ok, my mini system packs lots of power, 560 watts........by Sony.......5 CD changer, MP3 playback, Game Sync, iPod dock..........
My 5.1 home theatre is also by Sony, but will upgrade to Blu-Ray.........
My home computer is pretty basic, ACER. 320 GB, 2 GB Memory........cheap speakers.......will be taking the tower to Future Shop for upgrades (more space and faster downloads), and better computer speakers, most likely Bose.........

What about you? :beer:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 am 

2gb memory, sheesh. Why waste money on upgrades, may as well bin the relic.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am 

AMB Phenom II 1065t six-core processor, 16 gb ram, Radeon hd 6850 card, 1 tb hard drive, 2 tb external, hdmi out.
50" Panasonic plasma 1080p tv. 7.1 Sony receiver

I might eventually buy a new graphics card, but Im going to wait till I can get a better one at a good price. Mine can play all games fine, usually at high settings. The framerate gets kinda chopping on highest.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:19 am 

My home stereo is:
Marantz CD5004 - cd player
Marantz PM5004 - amp
Rega RP1 - record deck
Q acoustics 2010i - speakers

No idea what my laptop specs are. I know it's 4gb and 200gb Harddrive, but other than that I don't know or really care.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am 

CheekSuck9 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70053

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:27 am 

I live in an apartment complex so it defeats the purpose of having an upscale sound system. I've got a nice enough sound card which can handle a large speaker set up if I ever decide to, but I'll stick with my cheap-o Logitech speakers for now.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am 

Two Pioneer CS-G304, run through an old Stromberg Carlson AMP when I'm feeling particularly badass. Otherwise, it's a Bose speaker system out of my computer, a tiny little Acer netbook or my iMac.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm 

iAm wrote:
I live in an apartment complex so it defeats the purpose of having an upscale sound system. I've got a nice enough sound card which can handle a large speaker set up if I ever decide to, but I'll stick with my cheap-o Logitech speakers for now.

Good sound is not just about loudness. There are plenty of small "bookshelf" speakers that are built for clarity rather than volume. But if you're happy having your music sound like shit on some rinky-dink toy speakers, fair enough I guess.

Anyway, I'm running:

Denon AVR-900 amp
NAD c541i cd player
Technics SL-B2 turntable
A Sharp tape deck the model number of which escapes me
A pair of hand-made speakers an engineer friend of mine built as a prototype he was considering going into production with but decided against (so they are the only pair like it in the world)
15 inch sub

PC is an i7 quadcore, 16 gig ram,4 terrabytes of storage, 24 inch monitor, Mbox2 protools interface.

It's a decent setup.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 am 

I'm pretty sure the only audio equipment I didn't get from the thrift store/yard sales/trash or as free hand-me-down junk was my current turntable.
everything else I own is cheap shit from the thrift store, stuff I got for free/stole, or got because someone died.

I use stolen Gateway computer speakers plugged into the headphone out of a deceased individual's Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer as monitors in my recording "rig".

I keep it fucking ghetto, see.
In other words, basically none of my home entertainment/audio equipment is even worth mentioning except the turntable, and that's only because I got it new for Xmas a year or two ago.

It's an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB that I don't even use lately because of how direly it needs a new stylus/cart, which I can't afford. It's a nice turntable for my needs, and it even has a few bells and whistles I don't use too frequently like playing in reverse/USB out/3-speed playback* (seems geared towards DJ's, hobby-level "archivists" and old people... sometimes it's fun to be able to play dirty, beat up Tangerine Dream records backwards or listen to random thrift store shellacs though). I like it... Everything else I own is shit. Broken shit, at that.

*why the hell haven't they made one that will play 16RPM though?! It seems like this was designed to "cover all the bases", yet it won't do 16RPM... that's basically the one missing feature that keeps it from being perfect in my eyes.

PS: I also want to mention my totally awesome Realistic SCT-14 tape transcriber that I got for two fucking dollars. Thing is a really workhorse kind of recorder... built super-solid, and it's awesome for dubbing.

PPS: I don't know anything about this crappy laptop I'm using. I keep it hooked up to the stereo anyway... it's a real POS though. and there seems to be no remedy for blocking out harddrive noise/interference. It's some POS Gateway that my mother is letting me use. It overheats and shuts down constantly, and it's clearly not designed for anyone who cares about decent sound, because there is seemingly no way to make the interference shut the fuck up (it's not like I haven't tried all the obvious stuff).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 am 

CheekSuck9 wrote:
Ok, my mini system packs lots of power, 560 watts........by Sony.......5 CD changer, MP3 playback, Game Sync, iPod dock..........
My 5.1 home theatre is also by Sony, but will upgrade to Blu-Ray.........
My home computer is pretty basic, ACER. 320 GB, 2 GB Memory........cheap speakers.......will be taking the tower to Future Shop for upgrades (more space and faster downloads), and better computer speakers, most likely Bose.........

bose gear isn't really considered to be that good mate, they may have been 'innovative' in the 70's but now it's cheaply mass manufactured in china blah blah blah
you could probably get a lot more bang for your buck with another brand is what i mean :nods:
the comment about faster downloads after upgrading your computer system sounds a bit off, do you mean you're upgrading your internet connection?
or did i just take the bait.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 am 

My home stereo is either my computer speakers (Logitech 2.1 that I got at Future Shop) or my monitors (a pair of Yamaha HS50M's).

My computer is built by me, but I can't remember all the details. Ah fuck it, I went and looked at the details via Windows. It's an Intel i7-860, 8gb RAM, sound card is a Tascam US-122MkII, graphics card is a Radeon HD 6800 something or other. Runs Windows 7 Pro; won't be updating to Windows 8 because it looks like shit.

My "home theatre" is just my TV. It does the trick though.

I usually listen to music through the Logitech speakers. If I'm monitoring, obviously I'll use the monitors, and if I'm listening to vinyl, I'll plug in one or both of the monitors, depending on whether it's mono or stereo.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:38 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
iAm wrote:

Good sound is not just about loudness. There are plenty of small "bookshelf" speakers that are built for clarity rather than volume. But if you're happy having your music sound like shit on some rinky-dink toy speakers, fair enough I guess.
As far as clarity goes they get the job done(unless it's super deep Dark Ambient or something), they were in the $40 price range so they aren't utter shit anyways. I have a nice pair of Bose headphones that I pretty much only use for gaming and music if I want superb quality.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am 

without trying to sound like a dick, the level of "gets the job done" you can pull off with the DAC conversion in a PC soundcard going out to a $40 set of speakers is more on the level of "it makes a noise sorta like what the album sounds like". Maybe I'm just old at 34, but I'm reading the laptop/speakers setup as also being symptomatic of listening to everything on mp3, which carries a whole lot of baggage aside from the "sounds like dogs balls" angle.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 am 

dreadmeat wrote:

bose gear isn't really considered to be that good mate, they may have been 'innovative' in the 70's but now it's cheaply mass manufactured in china blah blah blah
you could probably get a lot more bang for your buck with another brand is what i mean

Care to elaborate on that?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 am 

My Bose ipod dock has a very awesome sound for such a little thing. I'm not an audio nerd or anything though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:20 am 

^ aye. that's what I have, and it has a jack for regular audio input and sounds really nice.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm 

$125 Teac receiver. Starting to show it's age but I likely won't replace it until I move into a larger place. $90 sony box speakers, excellent quality for the price. 32" panasonic viera 1080p, digital audio out - > toslink/RCA converter box - > receiver. It will be complete when I finally build a mid-ATX PC and hook it up to the TV via HDMI. I have a new aux cable coming in the mail so I can play my laptop thru the speakers again (damn those cables wear out fast), but in the meantime I've been streaming media from my comp, onto my xbox 360 and then through the speakers. I also love putting videos on a USB stick and playing things on the TV through that.

Oh and a PS3 for Bluray.

Reply to topic