Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm 

I don't know if this is allowed to be here or if it should be in the tavern so feel free to move/lock. I bought an album a while back on eBay and the payment methods were PayPal, credit card, and some other stuff. I don't have a PayPal account but I do have a credit card so the seller sent a PayPal payment request to my email and I paid with my card as a guest I think. Can I do the same thing with a Discogs seller that only accepts PayPal or a Distro? The distro also has this picture on their page Image
To be honest I'm not really sure of the mechanics of PayPal but still. Will I have to make an account to buy stuff? Has anyone ever done it that way?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm 

it's so much easier to just create a paypal account, then you needn't fill in your info every time and you can then confirm your address, some sellers only allow confirmed addresses.
as far as i can remember discogs is the same, you just click on "pay the seller" [or whatever the specific wording is] and you get sent to paypal.
paying directly with a credit card isn't something i'd do if it was a small distro, also i think when they say "paypal only" you can still pay as a guest, they just mean no bank deposits or western union etc which by the way BOTH of them cost about $30 for me to do, so paypal wins big time

was that at all helpful? i'm in new zealand and things may be different here

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:22 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
it's so much easier to just create a paypal account, then you needn't fill in your info every time and you can then confirm your address, some sellers only allow confirmed addresses.
as far as i can remember discogs is the same, you just click on "pay the seller" [or whatever the specific wording is] and you get sent to paypal.
paying directly with a credit card isn't something i'd do if it was a small distro, also i think when they say "paypal only" you can still pay as a guest, they just mean no bank deposits or western union etc which by the way BOTH of them cost about $30 for me to do, so paypal wins big time

was that at all helpful? i'm in new zealand and things may be different here

Yeah that helps, I might as well just make an account. Will there be any PayPal fees when buying stuff with an account or just standard shipping costs?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm 

no fees for buying man, the seller pays the fees.
depending on where you buy from whether the shipping is charged separately or combined, ebay charge the fee on the cost of the goods including the shipping but discogs only charge a fee for the cost of the goods [actually i should double check that, discogs updated their fees etc recently]
it's up to the seller to pay the fees or to ask you to pay them or whatever arrangement you agree to.

check out the paypal FAQ/help etc it's quite detailed.

do you have a specific item you're looking at or a distro etc?
[if so] maybe put up a link so we can see any specifics, it can get a bit curly if you've not used it before.
also some sites don't allow the seller to pass the fees on to the buyer

Last edited by dreadmeat on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
no fees for buying man, the seller pays the fees.
depending on where you buy from whether the shipping is charged separately or combined, ebay charge the fee on the cost of the goods including the shipping but discogs only charge a fee for the cost of the goods.
it's up to the seller to pay the fees or to ask you to pay them or whatever arrangement you agree to.

check out the paypal FAQ/help etc it's quite detailed.

Alright cool, thanks for the help. Issue resolved so any mods can feel free to lock this thread or whatever.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm 

ok cool, enjoy! :metal:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm 

are you really 16 years old?

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
are you really 16 years old?

Erm, yes?

kyzanar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:39 am 

Reviving this thread for random question/rant...

Is there any way on discogs to block a seller? As in a way to no longer see any items that they are selling, or at least not have their items included in my daily wantlist e-mail? I am getting rather annoyed when every 3 days I get my wantlist e-mail and it is just snake.plissken taking down and re-posting all of his items for 2-4x their realistic value :fuck: . There are a couple others that do this as well but not quite as often...

Anybody know a solution?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:22 am 

Nope, enjoy your spam :grin:
There's a pretty good thread in their forums about it, I have regular serial relisters to deal with CD-DVD-LP is one...
He's actually offline right now so says his profile I see.

Reply to topic