Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am 

New My Dying Bride song leaked onto YouTube, entitled "Hail Odysseus".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y6dQep285c
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am 

That sounded pretty good! at least it has a more 'classic' MDB feeling.

amitoz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm 

new song is pretty good!

Line 6 Spider 4

http://www.last.fm/user/amitoj84

"died for me well too bad i dont believe"

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:58 pm 

Entire album leaked!

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm 

Downloaded it, loved it, buying it as soon as it hits the record store
Not hearsay but the will of man

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 am 

Holy fucking legitimate return to form batman. Got the promo's awhile ago and I gotta say I can't think of a better return to doom, doom/death form than this. Paradise Lost and Tiamat take note!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 am 

I've only heard that "Kneel Till Doomsday" song and it sucked ass. Awful vocals (including growls) and lazy riffs. Like a shittier Paradise Lost. I dig the older stuff but these guys seriously lost it somewhere. Believe me, I want MDB to succeed, but I always considered them the worst of the UK doom-three.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 am 

New album fucking slays. Its the album of the year for me. Awesome vocals and great riffs. I wasn't expecting the album to be this good especially after Evinta and Barghest being huge letdowns. Far better than whay the other pioneers of the genre has done this year.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 am 

Got my copy in the post today. I won't have a chance to listen to it until later or maybe even tomorrow though. Excited for it, though!

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPh1yeoFB5c

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 pm 

The whole album is kinda good; better than For Lies and Deathless for sure, but still far from the glory of the doom/death they've done before. The album lacks aggression IMO, too many clean vocals that sound decent, but feel kinda weak. They seriously need to put more death into the mix.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 pm 

I'm curious from whence comes what seems to be the almost universal dislike of For Lies I Sire.
Granted, it did venture a few steps outside of the Doom/Death genre than MDB ever had in the past (37.whatever notwithstanding), but I thought that gave it a dynamic quality that a lot of the band's earlier work -- The Angel and the Dark River, in particular -- lacked. True, Aaron's harsh vocals were just a hair's breadth on the right side of pathetic, but his cleans were never better; Gloomy and hook-laden, delivering his as per usual melodramatic lyrics in that uniquely Aaron Stainthorpe way of his.

As for this new one, it's definitely not as instant as FLIS, but it's starting to settle on me, and I am enjoying it more with every repeated spin. One thing that irks me is that Aaron's enunciation isn't as clear this time around, so a couple of cursory read alongs are necessary to understand whatever the fudge is making the man sad nowadays. A minor quibble, overall I'm quite pleased.
It's also worth noting that, for all the little that their very sparse use makes it matter, the harsh vocals on AMOAOF are leagues better than they were on FLIS.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
Paradise Lost and Tiamat take note!

Even though Tragic Idol puts this snorefest to shame. :)

Anyway, yeah, better than For Lies, but that really doesn't say much. Pretty inconsistent and does a lot of plodding but there were a few, dare I say, great tracks. "The Poorest Waltz", beautiful melodies and very solid riffs. Also, Aaron's vocals are probably at their best here. The other being "The Perpetual Funeral", more nice sadguy melodies, sombre atmosphere, and a very nice, emotional chorus. The cleans as a whole were pretty good, but fuck, Aaron's monotonous spoken word parts are just downright laughable. Didn't care much for the growls, especially the more layered sound on a few of the tracks. Overall, it comes down to the same problem I've had with these guys over the last few releases and that's keeping my attention for more than two or three tracks.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm 

I like some of what I've listened to, but the album as a whole verges too much on funeral doom for my liking. Too slow.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:07 pm 

I thought the album was alright. I was excited after I found out Shaun-Taylor Steels was back, but this album let me down. The first few tracks are pretty good. The guitar parts seem recycled though, which i am not too fond of. The album is like a damn snail. That is how slow it is.

Maybe I will like it over time.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 pm 

A good friend of mine exclaimed this album on a FaceBook post and I decided to check it out; I was never really into MDB prior to this album. It was because of this album that made me look into more of their other stuff and I wound up being on a massive MDB kick for an entire five days-straight.

Like a Perpetual Funeral is my favorite track off of this album.

And my favorite albums in general are As the Flower Withers, The Dreadful Hours and then this album. For Lies I Sire and A Line of Deathless Kings I enjoyed as well.

Something I also noticed was the vocalist sounded just like the one from Ved Buens Ende.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

StalUlv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm 

It actually doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds matured but also has a sense of their original stuff. I wouldn't say that they went back to their roots though.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:45 pm 

I like the album a lot its got a great flow, it feels like an album should all the songs are diverse but yet they all share the same vibe. Def in my top 3 of 2012!

ElsaMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 pm 

Willing to hear it! :)
Awesome Band

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2