Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:19 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Psychrist. This is from 1999, and Australian (again), but this monstrous album reminds me of (later) Immolation to a point, and whilst not overly raw, it still contains a fair chunk of grit and grime.

Yummy! :)

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:52 pm 

Can you recommend some death/brutal death/grindcore albums with low guitars and easy to get?

Man, those were the days.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:49 am 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
brain hammer wrote:
I'm looking for stuff very much like Spawn Of Possession's "Incurso." Fast, brutal, technical, but also horrifying and strange. Long songs and conceptual albums are also a plus.

The songs are not long but I definitely get a ''horrifying'' feel from Chapters Of Repugnance by Defeated Sanity. Especialy if you read the lyrics while listening. There is some what of a conceptual idea to the album as well. Extremely technical and beyond brutal.

I am LOVING Chapters Of Repugnance. Killer stuff. Thanks for mentioning it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:49 pm 

Many thanks again Crushed_Revelation, I knew I could count on you. ;)

Lantern is a band I've meant to check out for years. I acquired the EP, and it does sound excellent. One could hope for better snare presence, though.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 am 

can someone rec me some heavy, wall-of-sound production, thick guitar-ed tech death?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
can someone rec me some heavy, wall-of-sound production, thick guitar-ed tech death?

Malignancy - Eugenics (2012)
Visceral Throne - Omnipotent Asperity (2012)
Vengeful - Vengeful (2011)
Recueil Morbide - Only Hate Left (2011)

Hate Eternal (too obvious?)

Perhaps more technical-based Slam/BDM, but you might want to check out: Bodysnatch - Insights Of A Rotten Theatre (2011)

gcb1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 am 

I was looking through dark descent records new releases and finding it slow and laborious to go through and find the stuff I like and thought - surely there must be a better way. I'm looking for recommendations for new "old school death and death/thrash" or significant (but possibly obscure) re-releases.

Some of the bands I have purchased of late (and liked):

Horrendous - The Chill
Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust
Depravity - Silence of the Centuries
Timeghoul - Complete Discography
Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors of Death
Toxaemia - Buried To Rise

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 am 

gcb1000 just browse through this thread. It is exactly what you need.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87429&hilit=miasmal

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Many thanks again Crushed_Revelation, I knew I could count on you. ;)

Lantern is a band I've meant to check out for years. I acquired the EP, and it does sound excellent. One could hope for better snare presence, though.

You're welcome, glad to help. Lantern are great, and I still would love copies of the demos, and am very keen to hear a full length album. I'm not actually put off by the snare presence, as it works as a whole rather well I feel.

My collection

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

brain hammer wrote:
TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
The songs are not long but I definitely get a ''horrifying'' feel from Chapters Of Repugnance by Defeated Sanity. Especialy if you read the lyrics while listening. There is some what of a conceptual idea to the album as well. Extremely technical and beyond brutal.

Glad to hear you liked it. :thumbsup: For my taste, I think Chapters of Repugnance is their best yet. However Psalms Of The Moribund is awesome as well. A lot of the buzz on the internet pertaining to Defeated Sanity tends to praise that album. Check it out too.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:51 pm 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
brain hammer wrote:

Glad to hear you liked it. :thumbsup: For my taste, I think Chapters of Repugnance is their best yet. However Psalms Of The Moribund is awesome as well. A lot of the buzz on the internet pertaining to Defeated Sanity tends to praise that album. Check it out too.

I'm not sure which one I like better, though I might lean Psalms. Both are brutal death 'must-haves'. Both are excellent.

If you like those, you might want to check out Sepsism, Decaying Purity, Devourment, and Disgorge (US) if you haven't already.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 am 

Chapters Of Repugnance is the only album of theirs I can actually listen to, so that one is naturally my favourite.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 am 

Is there any band that sounds like Intestine Baalism? Lots of beautiful leads, mid to fastpaced, occasional blastbeats, even kinda depressive sounding too sometimes, like these tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MysAqzKxFM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVaugamW_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6NHFKXdvk
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Is there any band that sounds like Intestine Baalism? Lots of beautiful leads, mid to fastpaced, occasional blastbeats, even kinda depressive sounding too sometimes, like these tracks:

Maybe early Neuraxis could be of your liking, I'm thinking A Passage Into Forlorn.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am 

CrushedRevelation: Psychrist is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome shit!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:41 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation: Psychrist is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome shit!

:thumbsup:

Good to hear. The ep and both albums are well worth having. Solid Aussie death.

My collection

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:15 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:

Any song from Cryptopsy's Once Was Not: In the Kingdom Where Everything Dies, Angelskingarden, Carrionshine, etc.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:15 pm 

Can anyone find something similar sounding to Cryptopsy's Once Was Not album?!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 am 

PillarofModern wrote:
Can anyone find something similar sounding to Cryptopsy's Once Was Not album?!

In what way? Death metal with plenty of melodies and experimentation, or death metal with extremely shitty mix? If it's stuff like Carrionshine, I want to hear some recs aswell.

Some Czech bands like Opitz/Contrastic are strange like Once Was Not, occasionally better, occassionally rather ridiculous. !T.O.O.H.! is also relentless and crazy like the Cryptopsy album.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am 

Can anyone recommend some death or thrash/death in the style of sepulturas bestial devastation? I'm specially looking for the barking vocal style, ?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:

Not to toot my own horn but my own band was recently reviewed by MA's own autothrall, who compared us to IB in his review of our latest single. Guess it's worth a look at if you dig that(i know I do).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdGomBTGsc

And from our previous full-length: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmkOCHGEI3U

I'd recommend Absence Of The Sacred as well, since you mentioned the bit about beautiful leads and occasional blasts.

http://absenceofthesacred.bandcamp.com/ ... y-of-flesh

And

http://absenceofthesacred.bandcamp.com/track/oracle

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:35 pm 

I'm getting into death metal pretty much for the first time, as in the past it could never really hold my interest, so recommend me some OSDM and/or progressive death - obvious recs are good, barring the glaringly obvious (Death, Bolt Thrower, Atheist, Cynic). Also I just checked out Pestilence, but pretty much anything else is fair game. Pestilence's Consuming Impulse and Death's Symbolic have clicked with me the most thus far.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I'm getting into death metal pretty much for the first time, as in the past it could never really hold my interest, so recommend me some OSDM and/or progressive death - obvious recs are good, barring the glaringly obvious (Death, Bolt Thrower, Atheist, Cynic). Also I just checked out Pestilence, but pretty much anything else is fair game. Pestilence's Consuming Impulse and Death's Symbolic have clicked with me the most thus far.

I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious but the "similar artists" tabs on those bands are your best recommendations really. This could seem simplistic on my end but they really are at this point, and considering the fact that most of them will be new to you.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm 

Yeah, I was planning on checking out most of those, I just wanted to see if there was anything in particular that I should be checking out first. Thanks anyway, I guess I can post again when I have some more specifics.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:58 pm 

Sure thing. As I said, at this point anything can be recommended to you since you're beginning to listen to the genre. So the best thing right now is to explore the similar surroundings of the bands you already appreciate, at least in my opinion. That will give you a larger understanding of what it is really that you appreciate in the genre and then recommendations can be more specific. ;)

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:25 pm 

Anyone know of anything that sounds dark and filthy like Incantation's "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" or Dead Congregation's "Graves of the Archangels"?

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Last edited by NJMike on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:29 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Anyone know of anything that sounds dark and filth like Incantation's "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" or Dead Congregation's "Graves of the Archangels"?

Check out Dragged And Quartered and Azarath.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm 

I'll add Grave Miasma to those.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:38 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
NJMike wrote:
Anyone know of anything that sounds dark and filth like Incantation's "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" or Dead Congregation's "Graves of the Archangels"?

Check out Dragged And Quartered and Azarath.

Dragged and Quartered? I got nothing in the MA search, though I did have "Drawn" and Quartered. That it?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:55 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Dragged and Quartered? I got nothing in the MA search, though I did have "Drawn" and Quartered. That it?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dra ... tered/3545
Yes sir.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 pm 

oogboog wrote:
NJMike wrote:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dra ... tered/3545
Yes sir.

Ahhh okay heh. Thanks; going to try them and the others mentioned.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 am 

Hahah, sorry. I was just listening to Dragged Into Sunlight. Check that out too if you like, it's quite different from Drawn, Incantation and such. Their songs carry a strong doom vibe in that they're monumental and absolutely crushing. There's some grind influence aswell.

The new Drawn And Quartered album is rather good, by the way. If you were disappointed with Merciless Hammer, you will probably enjoy it. If you liked the occult vibe on Merciless, you'll find some of that there, but it's mostly in the style of Return. As a starting point I recommend the debut, but if you instantly want something Incantation-esque, you could skip ahead to Return of the Black Death or Hail Infernal Darkness.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm 

D & Q!! and maybe check out Disciples of Mockery

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Hahah, sorry. I was just listening to Dragged Into Sunlight. Check that out too if you like, it's quite different from Drawn, Incantation and such. Their songs carry a strong doom vibe in that they're monumental and absolutely crushing. There's some grind influence aswell.

The new Drawn And Quartered album is rather good, by the way. If you were disappointed with Merciless Hammer, you will probably enjoy it. If you liked the occult vibe on Merciless, you'll find some of that there, but it's mostly in the style of Return. As a starting point I recommend the debut, but if you instantly want something Incantation-esque, you could skip ahead to Return of the Black Death or Hail Infernal Darkness.

I already tried Hail Infernal Darkness and liked it :3 Thank you for the reccomendation. Perhaps I'll look into Dragged into Sunlight (which I found already while looking for D&Q XD) and perhaps the other D&Q albums, and Grave Miasma and Disciples of Mockery.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:11 am 

Glad to be of help.

Disciples of Mockery is definitely some morbid, sick death metal, but it's perhaps not quite as "rifftastic" as Drawn And Quartered.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

Hi! I'm looking for some obscure old school death metal in the vein of gorement, wombbath, rippikoulu, demilich, funereal, deteriorate, (early) cemetery, carnage, electrocution, demigod, molested, rottrevore, early morta skuld. You know, any kick ass old school death metal albums. I'm kind of looking for hidden jems (some of those aren't very hidden but you get the picture). I'D APPRECIATE IT!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Hi! I'm looking for some obscure old school death metal in the vein of gorement, wombbath, rippikoulu, demilich, funereal, deteriorate, (early) cemetery, carnage, electrocution, demigod, molested, rottrevore, early morta skuld. You know, any kick ass old school death metal albums. I'm kind of looking for hidden jems (some of those aren't very hidden but you get the picture). I'D APPRECIATE IT!

That's pretty much across the board of OSDM. You have examples of the Finnish school, the NY/Chicago school, the Swedish school, and with Electrocution I'd say a bit of Florida. So you basically have all the bigger schools on demand. May I suggest a look at the "Old school death metal gems" thread on the Metal Discussion board? It has a lot of pages of OSDM for you to check out.

In the meantime this is my chance to whore Ataraxy again. Think of Convulse/Depravity/Slugathor clashing with Asphyx and Bolt Thrower. Beastly! ;)

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

God Macabre- The Winterlong
Necrony- Pathological Performances
Agonized- Gods...
Mythic- Mourning in the Winter Solstice
Timeghoul
Cancer- To the Gory End
Sarcasm- A Touch of the Burning Red Sunset
Carbonized- For the Security
Atrocity- Todessehnsucht
Adramelech- Psychostasia
Fallen Christ- Abduction Ritual
Ceremony- Tyranny From Above
Resurrection- Embalmed Existence

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:52 am 

Can anyone recommend anything in the same vein as Desolate Shrine? I have usually got Sonne Adam and Necros Christos as recommendations, which I already know of, and I'm not particularly keen on either. Anything else I'm missing?

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:57 am 

kapala wrote:
Can anyone recommend anything in the same vein as Desolate Shrine? I have usually got Sonne Adam and Necros Christos as recommendations, which I already know of, and I'm not particularly keen on either. Anything else I'm missing?

First of all, thank you for the indirect recommendation of Desolate Shrine, they play, indeed, rather well-done death metal. I quite enjoy it!

Apparently, you're requesting death metal of the so-called atmospheric variant: dark, heavy, varied, and (but not overtly) melodic. While I haven't heard Sonne Adam, after a few samples of Desolate Shrine's music, I can see why you're not too fond of Necros Christos as a allegedly similar act. I'll give it a try!

First of all (again), I recommend to you three other acts from Finnland, namely Demigod, Purtenance and Sentenced, of which especially the former is one of the most lasting influences on death metal's takes on the creation of a foreboding, somber atmosphere (I am referring to their 1992 debut album, "Slumber of Sullen Eyes"; they've since reformed in the early 2000's and have released two further albums, but I haven't listened to either of them). Purtenance and Sentenced (again, I am referring only to both bands' debut albums, "Member of Immortal Damnation" resp. "Shadows of Past", especially Sentenced have changed style drastically over the years) are similar to Demigod in their emphasis on melody and mood, although both lean far more towards typical Scandinavian death metal stylistically; but they retain the less aggressive, more atmospheric feel and varied song-structure.

Demigod - "Slumber of Sullen Eyes": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BefcpGAJsHQ

Purtenance - "Black Vision": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oHAeLGR4w

Sentenced - "When the Moment of Death Arrives": www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4Xs34R3mk

Then there's Impetuous Ritual from Australia, who do quite remind me of Desolate Shrine, although they have none of the yearning atmosphere of Desolate Shrine's music, instead opting for a darker, more "occult" and "ritualistic" approach to their death metal (this probably puts them closer to Sonne Adam and Necros Christos, but do give them a try).

Impetuous Ritual - "Ritual of the Crypt": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3o0kPvFFlI

Mythic from the US are more of a traditional death metal outfit, less musically refined and complex, more primitive and bludgeoning, but they definitely create an eerie, dark atmosphere totally unique to their sound.

Mythic - "Winter Solstice": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF9M0vetBB0

Excoriate from Germany have a strong, but balanced (traditional) black metal influence to their style which shows most prominently in their sense of melody.

Excoriate - "Voice of Damnation / On Pestilent Winds ...": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLK1QneyJ8

Also, again in reference to the Sonne Adam and Necros Christos recommendations you've mentioned, give Mefitic from Italy a try, you might enjoy them more than the aforementioned bands: http://mefitic.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 289  Next