Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:48 am 

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a girl that I am developing a fancy for. We got to talking about music and she showed me that she liked Trivium a bit, but preferred other 'metal' bands and such. I was thinking about giving her some music that she might like. I'm not going to give her something ridiculously extreme like fucking Marduk or Anaal Nathrakh, but extreme metal that's sort of accessible, but still extreme metal (and good, btw). I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me some ideas as well. . .
Here are some ideas of some songs I have in mind:
Kissing the Shadows- Children of Bodom
The Night Masquerade- Dimmu Borgir
Song of the Damned- Soilwork (yeah, I know not the most metal thing but I still think it's a sexy song)
Where Dead Angels Lie- Dissection
Battle Against Time- Wintersun
A Dead Poem- Rotting Christ
Axiom- Akercocke (too extreme? the ending parts are pretty much when they go all DsO on us)
Moonshield- In Flames
Where Dragons Dwell- Gojira

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm 

Just show her some Nyogthaeblisz. If she isn't in to it then she's obviously way too false.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:20 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Just show her some Nyogthaeblisz. If she isn't in to it then she's obviously way too false.

-_-
some serious responses, please?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:40 pm 

Kalmah- They Will Return (album)

Insomnium- In the halls of awaiting (album)

Agalloch- anything really

and for my not serious request

Spermswamp- Fermented Anal Nectar

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Kalmah- They Will Return (album)

Insomnium- In the halls of awaiting (album)

Agalloch- anything really

and for my not serious request

Spermswamp- Fermented Anal Nectar

heh, well that was actually slightly humorous. . . thanks for the recs!

BastardHead wrote:

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:00 pm 

Be'lakor - From Scythe to Sceptre

Amon Amarth - Guardian of Asgaard

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:27 pm 

Opeth! I don't know how used she is to metal, but Opeth should also have enough breakes and mellow parts to make it a bit easier to get into.

Seconding Kalmah and Insomnium.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:29 pm 

right, thanks guys!

BastardHead wrote:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

I completely forgot about old school Cradle of Filth, but would the vocals be offputting?

BastardHead wrote:

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:51 pm 

Persefone, Kalisia, The Haunted, Dimension Zero, Dismember, Netherbird, Chthonic, etc

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm 

I'm pretty sure she probably won't like Like An Everflowing Stream, but I will include one song by them just to test the water.

BastardHead wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:27 pm 

Try to seduce a girl yourself without asking for our help!

Also, I linked you the wikipedia article about ellipsis the other day, right?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Try to seduce a girl yourself without asking for our help!

Also, I linked you the wikipedia article about ellipsis the other day, right?

thanks so much for your help. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
really, thanks. . . . . . . . .

EDIT: Also, I'm not really just trying to get up in her guts, I'm thinking about making her my girlfriend to be honest.

BastardHead wrote:

Last edited by MalignantTyrant on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 pm 

Generally-speaking, unless it's an act that veers more toward brutality or speed (Neaera, Arsis), you can't really go wrong with most melodic death metal.

In Flames is the most obviously accessible choice that still plays in the style despite their more alternative tendencies.

Disarmonia Mundi is also a very agreeable choice and Words of Farewell play an Insomnium-influenced form of melodeath with scant electronic breaks.

Ne Obliviscaris would be a risky choice considering how long and fast they drive, but if she appreciates the beauty of the violin and a clean vocalist to match, then it might be worth it.

If she really likes techno or trance, play her some Blood Stain Child.

I'm not too sure about Dark Tranquillity overall, but she may enjoy Projector.

Loch Vostok would also be an... interesting, but promising choice.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
Generally-speaking, unless it's an act that veers more toward brutality or speed (Neaera, Arsis), you can't really go wrong with most melodic death metal.

In Flames is the most obviously accessible choice that still plays in the style despite their more alternative tendencies.

Disarmonia Mundi is also a very agreeable choice and Words of Farewell play an Insomnium-influenced form of melodeath with scant electronic breaks.

Ne Obliviscaris would be a risky choice considering how long and fast they drive, but if she appreciates the beauty of the violin and a clean vocalist to match, then it might be worth it.

If she really likes techno or trance, play her some Blood Stain Child.

I'm not too sure about Dark Tranquillity overall, but she may enjoy Projector.

Loch Vostok would also be an... interesting, but promising choice.

thanks, very helpful. I hadn't thought of DT, either.

BastardHead wrote:

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:51 pm 

Also, seconding Agalloch, but stick more to their recordings prior to Marrow of the Spirit.

I would not give her any pure black metal or anything that uses it as a primary influence, much less any straight blackened doom. Try post-rock-influence back metal or other atmospheric stuff, such as Alcest and maybe Thy Catafalque.

Also, if it's groovey without being too bombastic, it could work. Lots of djent acts could serve you well, though I'd avoid Vildhjarta, Meshuggah themselves, and anything influenced by deathcore. The best one that comes to mind is Uneven Structure. They're more of a post-metal outfit with djent tendencies, rather than vice-versa.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:52 pm 

man, you guys are giving me some good shit. It's too bad there isn't a reputation system because you'd all get good rep from me.

EDIT: I will include The Face of Melinda by Opeth 100%, I've already figured that she'd like it a bit.

BastardHead wrote:

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm 

Oh! I forgot Katatonia! I don't know how, but definitely Katatonia! Discouraged Ones onward, I'd say, though your chances are better with The Great Cold Distance and beyond.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:57 pm 

Why play it safe and boring when you can be daring and show her some Last Days of Humanity?

Anyway I think In Mourning might be a good choice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4ioEQ7okM

You can try showing Katatonia's Brave too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tW9fekzJo, I think it is pretty acessible but what do I know

Slumber, same as above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VG_KkELmlE

Other choices would Amesoeurs, Sacramentum, At The Gates(With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness in particular), aaand I'm out of ideas, sorry

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:00 pm 

I hate these kind of threads . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.