Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:28 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm kinda disappointed in Netflix. I had heard lots of great things about it.

Yesterday it became available in Denmark, and I just got me an account some 45 minutes ago, and I have literally found nothing of what I have searched for. They don't even have Silence of the Lambs on there. I don't know how it works, if movies are added all the time or whatever, but as of now, I'm disappointed.

Here in the States they add movies and other content very regularly (not every day, but at least once a week). Granted there is a lot of stuff that isn't on there that should be, but the sheer amount of stuff on it over here means you'll never run out of things to watch on it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am 

I've had Netflix for about 6 months now, and I mostly love it. I don't understand their logic sometimes though. "It's Halloween time. Let's take off all the classic, great horror movies to make room for every season of Man vs. Wild and Billy the Exterminator. People will like that. And for all the horror fanatics who will bitch about it, we'll put on all the latest direct-to-video Paranormal Activity rip-offs. That should hold them over."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm 

Most of those old classic horror films are easily viewable on Youtube anyway.

psilokan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:47 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
The European version of netflix is terrible compared to the American version. My friend masked his IP so was getting the American one. Way more shows with complete series and all that. Defo not getting the european one till they make it as good as the US version.

The Canadian version is very much the same. Just not enough good content to keep me there. You can get around that though, there' s a few free options like tunlr but I've had no luck with it. I've been using Unblock-us for a bit now with absolutely no issues, but I've also heard good things about unotelly.

Anyways, this is the guide I used, it should work in the europe too:
www.fettesps.com/how-to-use-netflix-usa-in-canada/

CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 am 

I watch it once in awhile. Depends on what is new and what is popular. I am more into horror and action. Mainly 18A movies.............

:p

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 am 

My room mate just got Netflix and I wanted to put this PSA out there:

Look up Black Sabbath, then watch the 50~ minute documentary about Paranoid. Incredibly in-depth, with interviews and anecdotes from all four members. Plus they throw in some really neat stuff for the obsessive fan, like Tom Allom (engineer during the recordings) in the studio playing/toying with the master tapes. I really got a huge kick out of hearing some of Ozzy's "guide vocals", where he know's HOW he's going to sing, but doesn't have the lyrics yet, so he's essentially freestyling over the music.

Plus Henry Rollins gives the greatest critical analysis of the song Iron Man I've ever heard. He really brings to light how many subtle change-ups were going on with that track. It's certainly not the one-note bruiser it often gets labelled as.

Naturespawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 am 

Just arrived to Finland couple of weeks ago. Gotta say it is pretty fucking great. Amount of content is pretty small but i guess it will grow soon. I'd just love to get "Friends", and then i'd be happy.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 am 

I just drove by Blockbuster and saw that theyre closing soon. Not surprised in the least.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm 

chrislyles15 wrote:
I've had Netflix for about 6 months now, and I mostly love it. I don't understand their logic sometimes though. "It's Halloween time. Let's take off all the classic, great horror movies to make room for every season of Man vs. Wild and Billy the Exterminator. People will like that. And for all the horror fanatics who will bitch about it, we'll put on all the latest direct-to-video Paranormal Activity rip-offs. That should hold them over."
I have been watching that happen for years. The same thing happens at Christmas time. I've complained to multiple times over the years, and every year the same thing happens.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm 

Anyone else watch the Netflix exclusive House of Cards? Saw the first episode and I was amazed. The show has a ton of style and the political intrigue is... intriguing.

Also, Kevin Spacey.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 am 

I used Netflix for many years and liked it. I'm still a member, but I cut down the membership to bare bones.

More & more, content is available from other sources online. I think Netflix needs to begin expanding their streaming service with the goal of eventually phasing out rental hard-media.

In the next 5-10 years there just won't be very much physical media at all, for film & TV. It's all going to be streaming/online.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:29 am 

They still have Until The Light Takes Us available on instant for those interested.

I generally find Netflix instant to be disappointing. I usually end up watching the same movies or television reruns over and over.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 pm 

Anybody know if they'll get higher quality streams up on Netflix? My family only recently got it and I watched Last of the Mohicans and the quality had to be the same as downloading a 700 mb movie off the internet.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:08 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Anybody know if they'll get higher quality streams up on Netflix? My family only recently got it and I watched Last of the Mohicans and the quality had to be the same as downloading a 700 mb movie off the internet.

Doubtful(or at least not with present technology readily available). Most people won't be able to tell you what 1080pi is, or how the encoding process even works when streaming movies from Netflix.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 pm 

Does anyone here use Amazon Prime? I've heard the streaming service you get along with it is close in quality to Netflix. Had no idea the service existed. A flat $80 a year for Amazon Prime, free two day shipping (no weight limit) on Amazon approved sellers, and you get the streaming service which is available on a lot of TV's, the PS3 and 360, etc. I might try it out this year since I buy a lot from amazon.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Does anyone here use Amazon Prime? I've heard the streaming service you get along with it is close in quality to Netflix. Had no idea the service existed. A flat $80 a year for Amazon Prime, free two day shipping (no weight limit) on Amazon approved sellers, and you get the streaming service which is available on a lot of TV's, the PS3 and 360, etc. I might try it out this year since I buy a lot from amazon.

Yes, I have Amazon Prime as an app on my HDTV. Since I'm a Prime member, I get a lot of content for free. I have an Amazon credit card, so I'm basically "all in" with Amazon -- like it or not :)

It's a nice service, especially if you use it in conjunction with Netflix. Between the two, you have a better chance of finding something.

The streaming/quality seems similar to me as Netflix. Not bad, as long as you have a decent bandwidth connection. The "HD" offerings are definitely not HD, if you are used to blu ray or some other true HD playback. But it's watchable, absolutely.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 am 

Megan is Missing popped up on my front page yesterday and I watched it. Damn. Just watch it.

Last edited by Subrick on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Log on your account on Netflix.com, go to "Your Account" in the top right corner, then click on "Manage Video Quality." You might already be set to the highest option but it's worth checking.

Netflix rolled out something called "SuperHD", but it's only available to ISPs like Cablevision and Google Fiber. Most other ISPs have this stupid bandwidth limit or relatively low speeds.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 am 

Netflix Streaming is most appealing to watch numerous network television shows and a myriad of foreign films( though I'm disappointed that they've taken off some of the more obscure ones they showed). As far as feature films go, I always find it disappointing that they never have what I most feel like seeing i.e. the Rambo movies or Kubrick films. The really cool classic shit. Plus a substantial fraction of their former streaming library is unavailable since the company's well publicized falling out with Starz which held the rights to many of those films.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm 

I have Netflix Instant on the TV. What pisses me off is that the damn thing likes to only work like every other day. But otherwise it's great; get to watch South Park, King of the Hill, and I was psyched when I found out they were showing I Saw The Devil.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm 

We don't get Netflix in Australia unless you use a bypass American proxy but I'm too lazy for that.
Our other option here is Foxtel and while it has next to no underground films besides the subtitled ones in the Wold Movies channels, it's a solid cable/dish service which well makes up for it with things like new, fast tracked TV shows from the US like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad etc.

The price is pretty hefty though, they ask for about $120/month for the platinum package but in my eyes it's worth it because they've got a free movies/tv show on demand library which has hundreds of content and also bought out apps for iPhone and iPad which if you have a subscription, you can use it for free and just live stream.

I work for the company so I get it for free (just paying $10/month for HD box rental) but it's pretty great and would try my best to cough up the asking price if I didn't work for the company.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Log on your account on Netflix.com, go to "Your Account" in the top right corner, then click on "Manage Video Quality." You might already be set to the highest option but it's worth checking.

Netflix rolled out something called "SuperHD", but it's only available to ISPs like Cablevision and Google Fiber. Most other ISPs have this stupid bandwidth limit or relatively low speeds.

Cool. Next time I have it open I'll check that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm 

Anyone who has Netflix and has not checked it out yet should watch House of Cards. Very intriguing political drama!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 am 

American Netflix got rid of most of the exploitation films I wanted to watch. Huge bummer.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

psilokan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:04 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Anyone who has Netflix and has not checked it out yet should watch House of Cards. Very intriguing political drama!

Everyone's been raving about that show but it didn't really do much for me. The new season of Arrested Development was kinda meh too :(

Definitely support them producing their own content though, and will keep paying my dues in hopes that it shifts the balance of power away from the cable/satellite companies :)

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 am 

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime now.

I'm liking Prime more these days. Usually anything free I can find on Netflix I can also get free on Prime, plus there is everything else you can pay for on Prime if you want. Can't do that on Netflix. Also, Prime has free & purchased books. Another great feature is the persistence of purchases. Anything you purchase on prime sticks around in the cloud. You can then download it to a Kindle, or view it on your computer, or just leave it in the cloud. You don't lose stuff. Netflix doesn't do that.

Frankly, I think Netflix is in trouble of becoming obsolete. They haven't added the content that they need to in order to stay on top. I have slimmed down my subscription to the bare minimum. Unless something changes, I'll cancel soon.

As for Blu-ray & DVD rentals: those are just a pain. More trouble than they're worth. The era of physical media is ending.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 am 

Yeah, I do feel like Netflix has gone down the shitter a bit. The movie selection seems to be a pale imitation of what they used to have available for streaming, and too few new, wide-theatrical-release movies actually make it onto the service. I use it for TV shows more than anything else anymore, but even that seems sort of risky as they'll just yank stuff without any warning. I remember they used to tell you when something was going to be pulled from streaming service, but I haven't seen anything like that in forever now. It seems like they're trying to make up for it with their exclusive TV series, but none of these have really been good enough to count for much.

Amazon Prime seemed pretty competitive when I looked into it last year, but it kind of sucks that you have to pay the $80 up front. I had a trial for a little bit and it was sort of clunky trying to search content out of the free stuff only. Maybe come Christmas I'll see how it's comparing to Netflix and give it a shot.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 am 

I think most complaints about Netflix exist because people don't understand how their business model works anymore. Netflix isn't really a rental company anymore, they are more like a television station. Purchasing the syndication rights for films and television shows is extremely expensive, so they are having to make these purchases more carefully and get rid of the stuff that isn't being viewed. And it's a two way street; not all studios want to sell the rights to Netflix immediately, if ever.

Be thankful Netflix is around for now, where you can get a ton of stuff in one place at one low price. There are a bunch of television channels and film companies that are starting to wise up and just create their own services. HBO, Starz, and Time Warner have already have done that. And Hulu is actually a joint venture between Disney, Universal, and Fox. In a few years, you might have to sign up for ten different services just to get all yours shows (just like cable!)

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:14 pm 

Well at least they've put up Braveheart. I enjoyed seeing The Warriors again when it was up there too. Great film.

I need to re-check out Prime.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 am 

Errebuss wrote:
I think most complaints about Netflix exist because people don't understand how their business model works anymore. Netflix isn't really a rental company anymore, they are more like a television station. Purchasing the syndication rights for films and television shows is extremely expensive, so they are having to make these purchases more carefully and get rid of the stuff that isn't being viewed. And it's a two way street; not all studios want to sell the rights to Netflix immediately, if ever.

Be thankful Netflix is around for now, where you can get a ton of stuff in one place at one low price. There are a bunch of television channels and film companies that are starting to wise up and just create their own services. HBO, Starz, and Time Warner have already have done that. And Hulu is actually a joint venture between Disney, Universal, and Fox. In a few years, you might have to sign up for ten different services just to get all yours shows (just like cable!)

I hope not. I find it unlikely the public is going to go for that kind of model, FWIW. But we'll see.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
sadly not available in Australia. We still have old-school rental shops.

We've got Foxtel, it has a decent selection.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm 

Naturespawn wrote:
Just arrived to Finland couple of weeks ago. Gotta say it is pretty fucking great. Amount of content is pretty small but i guess it will grow soon. I'd just love to get "Friends", and then i'd be happy.

Do Euro's like Friends and Seinfeld a lot?

theCr0w
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 am 

"Metal in Baghdad" is so good. Hits on all the feels and makes me sad that Acrassicauda never released a full-length. Right now I'm looking for an outstanding TV show or anime or horror for that matter. Been watching the Walking Dead and is pretty slow so far.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:22 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Canadian Netflix is pretty shit.

Not all is well in the great humanitarian paradise to the north?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 am 

Like most people on Netflix, I spend more time searching for stuff I want to watch than actually watching. It's the licensing that has limited the availability of content. I really, really miss brick and mortar video rentals right now. If you want to check out a movie on the big tv in the living room (and one that is not available on Netflix or Prime), it's a very hard thing to do nowadays. And I don't feel like paying extra and waiting a couple days for it to arrive in the mail. The days of buying a hard copy from retail may be on the decline as well and sooner than we think.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2