Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:33 pm 

I don't feel like arguing it any further, so why don't we agree to disagree. You throw in some valid points, although when it comes down to it I would argue that what they believe on major issues is pretty significant. Even if it doesn't end up affecting policy, which it may or may not, I'd rather have a president who's pro-choice and pro-gay marriage than one who's militantly opposed to both. Not to mention personality; Mitt annoys me a lot more than Obama does. These things may not be significant to you, but they are to a lot of people. I believe that their views will affect some policymaking as well, of course, but it's hard to really prove such a thing most of the time.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:15 pm 

Man, I hate when people say that the two candidates in America are exactly the same. Sure they are the same (or at least similar) on many issues, but they also diverge greatly in their opinions on many issues. They have different tax plans, different stances on healthcare, different stances on abortion, different stances on gay marriage as well as many other things. In some ways you're screwed no matter who wins, but if you're not upper class, Romney sure as hell is going to screw you a lot harder.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Barack ... itt_Romney

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Man, I hate when people say that the two candidates in America are exactly the same. Sure they are the same (or at least similar) on many issues, but they also diverge greatly in their opinions on many issues. They have different tax plans, different stances on healthcare, different stances on abortion, different stances on gay marriage as well as many other things. In some ways you're screwed no matter who wins, but if you're not upper class, Romney sure as hell is going to screw you a lot harder.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Barack ... itt_Romney

But social issues don't fuck the lives over of millions of people as policies such as the NDAA, the healthcare scam, and of course the bailouts which both candidates favor. How exactly does Romney fuck over anyone in other classes anymore than Obama, Obama actively promotes class warfare by taxing the higher income brackets where Romney favors lower taxes for all (nominally at least).

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 pm 

Obama isn't waging "class warfare", he wants to tax the rich more because they can afford to pay more. Lowering taxes for all would actually be a bad idea, because that money is needed for social programs, infrastructure and whatnot. It's sure to get a few votes, though.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm 

Obama and Romney represent different sections of the ruling class, both of which are waging class warfare against the poor, working and middle classes. The section backing Obama feels the current level of intensity in their class warfare efforts is sufficient, the Romney camp believes that a new offensive campaign should be mounted immediately.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm 

Just because they can afford to pay more doesn't give the mobs of Democratic loyalists and left minded individuals the moral authority to steal money from them or anyone especially when the federal government doesn't have any of the major programs in order. What else can you call it he is specifically singling them out because the government can't generate any wealth of its own.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 pm 

All these posts about politics and the 2012 election makes me feel glad that I don't have worry about politics or voting for president until I turn 18. :-D

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
All these posts about politics and the 2012 election makes me feel glad that I don't have worry about politics or voting for president until I turn 18. :-D

Of course, if you wait until then to take a stance you'll most likely enter the voting booth for the first time with no idea what the fuck you're doing...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

Yes, don't care about it and vote for whoever your parents like when you'll turn 18. For me, your post is the same thing as "hey, I don't have to care about alcoholism since I'm not 21". You're never too young to learn and to inform yourself.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm 

Funny, I was a complete politics nerd when I was 15 and was eager to be able to go out and vote, but now that I finally can vote, I don't really care.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 pm 

I voted for the first time one week ago(municipal elections) and all my votes were blank
spare me the lecture please

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Metalfuckingrules wrote:

Yes, don't care about it and vote for whoever your parents like when you'll turn 18. For me, your post is the same thing as "hey, I don't have to care about alcoholism since I'm not 21". You're never too young to learn and to inform yourself.

Well at least "I don't care" is a better response than what I hear from most children. "Daddy says Obama is the devil" or "hurrr my friend is voting for obermuh" aren't necessarily logical attitudes towards politics.

Oh and the ever famous: "lolol ANARCHY!!!!1!"

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:35 pm 

You forgot RON PAUL OMG.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:36 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
You forgot RON PAUL OMG.

Legalize drugs for AMERICA <3333 DRUGS!

I registered under a third party this year and thus I can't vote in the election. Hooray for a flawed two party system. Honestly though I'd rather take away votes from both the candidates than have to pick one of the two. They're both awful.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
You forgot RON PAUL OMG.

He's better than either candidate, even if I personally don't agree with the lunacy of returning to the gold standard. At least his policies with regards to economics are grounded in reality, and not the pipe dream that taxing the rich will somehow make untenable government spending solvent.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:13 pm 

It would be nice if a candidate would support both higher taxes on the wealthy and cutting government spending, but there's no way that guy would get elected.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 pm 

Veracs wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:
You forgot RON PAUL OMG.

He's better than either candidate, even if I personally don't agree with the lunacy of returning to the gold standard. At least his policies with regards to economics are grounded in reality, and not the pipe dream that taxing the rich will somehow make untenable government spending solvent.

He has said some weird things about blacks(especially in DC- calling them all criminals or something to that extent), the gay community and gun control in the past. If he chose to be much more moderate on a few issues, he would have my vote.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 pm 

I don't know why people think that raising taxes on the wealthy is the solution, just look at France whose wealthy are fleeing the country thanks to the looming new supertax.

I personally am of the opinion that America would fare much better with a more Minarchistic government and a freer market, but that is far from being a majority sentiment.

last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:32 pm 

iAm wrote:
I registered under a third party this year and thus I can't vote in the election.

WTF??

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
iAm wrote:
I registered under a third party this year and thus I can't vote in the election.

WTF??

Or in the primaries, I should say.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 am 

I had my first time voting some weeks ago... As I mentioned before in this thread, my candidate lost. :c

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 am 

iAm wrote:
iAm wrote:

Or in the primaries, I should say.

You realize the primaries have been over for months, right?

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 am 

I voted too for my candidate but it was very hard, if not impossible to him to win. But i feel very good, nonetheless. It was the only good option, the others are very mediocre, and immensely cowards.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:34 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Funny, I was a complete politics nerd when I was 15 and was eager to be able to go out and vote, but now that I finally can vote, I don't really care.

Same here, except replace 15 with 17, I was disappointed back then that I turned 18 7 days after the vote for the president took place, now that I can vote I don't care anymore.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Obama and Romney represent different sections of the ruling class, both of which are waging class warfare against the poor, working and middle classes. The section backing Obama feels the current level of intensity in their class warfare efforts is sufficient, the Romney camp believes that a new offensive campaign should be mounted immediately.

Quoted for truth.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am 

failsafeman wrote:
iAm wrote:

You realize the primaries have been over for months, right?

Did I really say that? :oh shit: Posting under the influence of alcohol should be a ban-able offense.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am 

The first time I voted in an election, Stephen Harper won a majority :ugh:. Although in the end it wouldn't have mattered who I voted for because the NDP always win in my riding.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

Well, then.
I heard a bit of an awesome demo from Verminous. The album was limited to 500 copies, the only Youtube video I heard yesterday was taken down later that same day, and there are no more download links for it. It was actually better than the full-length they released after.

It feels like it's been erased from existence... :(

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm 

Marag wrote:
I voted for the first time one week ago(municipal elections) and all my votes were blank
spare me the lecture please

I'd say you're excused.

Man, American politics sure are a hoot, aren't they?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm 

@Marag: You didn't vote for Wolverine???

Nah man, there is nothing wrong with invalid votes.
Especially since you probably couldn't even vote for Wolverine in municipal...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:45 pm 

I didn't man, he wasn't running for prefect in my city ):
There was one candidate named Salame(the sausage) and another one from a city nearby called Cyborg, but otherwise I didn't found any other wacky amusing politicians this year

I swear though, if Wolverine was in charge around here, things would be different

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

You'll have plenty of time to figure it out then, as there will be no jobs and college will be too expensive when pell grants are defunded.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 pm 

I do not care about the current conversation, nor I read it before posting. I'm just testing my new sig, courtesy of everyone's favourite Italian.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
I do not care about the current conversation, nor I read it before posting. I'm just testing my new sig, courtesy of everyone's favourite Italian.

:lol:

Well, work got canceled tonight so it looks like I'll be seeing Krisiun, Melechesh and Inquisition!

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Metalfuckingrules wrote:

You'll have plenty of time to figure it out then, as there will be no jobs and college will be too expensive when pell grants are defunded.

Politics affects many people, even to those that are ignorant to it. And even then, paying attention now many help understand things more clearly later in life.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:00 pm 

...What?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
...What?

He means "may", not "many". But still, oogboog, no duh that's true. It's so commonly accepted as fact that there's a reason no one bothered to mention it before you did.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm 

And he was the one making fun of my English.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 pm 

I feel insulted for not having my English made fun of, it hurts my pride as a brazilian

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:07 pm 

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649 ... 827  Next