Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
six7six
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:51 pm 

Why does a physical release determine if a band is "worthy" of your site? I refuse to release a physical album because it opposes what I stand for. How does a physical release make a band more metal than one that doesn't have one? This isn't a true metal site if it discriminates because of something so trivial. I want my music to be freely available to anyone who wants to listen, and a physical copy hinders that. I want YOU to prove to me how a physical release is more worthy than someone who puts their heart and soul into what they write and refuses to release a physical copy that is worth some arbitrary monetary value. If you can't then I guess this isn't a real metal Encyclopedia...

Not intending to be rude but I am rather shocked that this is a stipulation. I thought the metal community was better than this.

jbw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
jbw wrote:
Also, even though there is a lot of ambient noise, I can tell it's coming from a guitar. Maybe whoever blacklisted it didn't recognize that and thought it was electronic noise.

Use of a guitar doesn't automatically imply metal.

I remember that this was blacklisted after some mod consideration for being too heavy on the noisy ambient side.

I know, I was just trying to differentiate it from other ambient noise groups that use electronics. If the mods have already considered that then that's fine.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm 

six7six wrote:
Why does a physical release determine if a band is "worthy" of your site? I refuse to release a physical album because it opposes what I stand for. How does a physical release make a band more metal than one that doesn't have one? This isn't a true metal site if it discriminates because of something so trivial. I want my music to be freely available to anyone who wants to listen, and a physical copy hinders that. I want YOU to prove to me how a physical release is more worthy than someone who puts their heart and soul into what they write and refuses to release a physical copy that is worth some arbitrary monetary value. If you can't then I guess this isn't a real metal Encyclopedia...

Not intending to be rude but I am rather shocked that this is a stipulation. I thought the metal community was better than this.

You're putting words into our mouths. It doesn't make a band more or less "metal". Nor is this strictly about monetary value, loads of bands in the database give or gave their stuff away for free. The key issue is that, when working the band queue on a daily basis, we need some kind of way to gauge whether a band is serious and "tangible" or not. Serious in the sense of "are these guys serious enough about their band to put out some kind of release?". We acknowledge that many bands decide to go download-only and are in many cases not any less dedicated to their work as bands with physical CDs, but as a general rule and way of keeping out a flood of Myspace black metal and any other dayflies with one or two rehearsal tracks on Facebook it serves this site pretty well. Download-only stuff is still often too vague in whether it's just a bunch of songs thrown together in a .zip file or a proper, semi-coherent release. It's about having a good, consistent rule. A physical copy still remains a pretty good way of judging a band in that sense, although it is of course not without drawbacks in this day and age. Believe me, this has been the topic of quite some internal discussion.

The physical release rule may change in the future, or it may not, this is for the staff to discuss and the owners to judge and approve. For now it is firmly in place.

Vautour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Well based on those four samples they definitely sound more melodeath than -core (which is the reason given for their blacklisting). I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of the full length and give a more official opinion later. I like to consider myself the metalcore/deathcore expert of the staff but some second opinions would be welcomed as well.

EDIT: Okay after a listen of the full length, I am 100% in favor of unblacklisting Fuck Your Shadow From Behind. Most definitely based more in melodeath than any form of -core. That said, I will await the judgment of a second mod before doing so, because this was blacklisted in the first place. My football/hockey analogy from before still comes in to play. I'm just one ref.

I honestly don't understand why they were blacklisted in the first place. They're considerably more metal than many deathcore bands that are on here, at least in my opinion.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:35 pm 

six7six wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. I just felt that there are more factors than whether or not a band released a physical copy. Determination can't solely be judged on a physical release, there is way more to the equation. While I understand that you guys don't want to get spammed by kids who write 1 song and think they are a band, a physical copy doesn't make a metal band.

As I said, we don't deny the fact that there are bands with digital releases out there that are "real" or honest about their work. There is indeed more to this equation if one wants to be as fair as possible. But imagine going through every band submission and trying to consider every angle, every aspect (even if we did, that's not always possible by means of the internet). We get around 500 new additions a month (sometimes more, sometimes less). That's approved bands. Not all submissions. The amount of rejected stuff is many times higher, and non-metal only makes up a comparably small part of it. If we had to investigate every submission and judge the band's "determination" ad hoc, with an ever-changing, subjective, ambiguous swirl of parameters in each mod's head, the queue would explode quickly. Not only that, but people would soon start to complain about why this and that band has been rejected, while another one has been approved. Obviously, this happens now too, but with no set-in-stone rule of what constitutes an acceptable band and what doesn't, those complaints would increase in frequency (and probably intensity) soon and we would have no consistent, compact way of countering it. Without an equally consistent framework as the PR rule we would get buried, tangled up in contradictions. And the point is, until now, no one has been able to come up with a sensible, comparably simple rule as elegant as the PR rule that encompasses "serious" download-only bands.

six7six wrote:
Sorry if I came off rather harsh in my previous post, I just don't see the reason for having this particular stipulation considering that people are going to try and spam it anyways, I don't feel it would thin out what gets submitted and what doesn't.

It doesn't particularly thin out what gets submitted. But it certainly filters out and prevents a lot of crap from getting approved. Trust me on this.

EDIT: Eh, you've deleted the post I quoted... Still, I'll keep this, if only to copy-paste it for future such inquiries. :)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 pm 

Vautour wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Well based on those four samples they definitely sound more melodeath than -core (which is the reason given for their blacklisting). I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of the full length and give a more official opinion later. I like to consider myself the metalcore/deathcore expert of the staff but some second opinions would be welcomed as well.

EDIT: Okay after a listen of the full length, I am 100% in favor of unblacklisting Fuck Your Shadow From Behind. Most definitely based more in melodeath than any form of -core. That said, I will await the judgment of a second mod before doing so, because this was blacklisted in the first place. My football/hockey analogy from before still comes in to play. I'm just one ref.

I honestly don't understand why they were blacklisted in the first place. They're considerably more metal than many deathcore bands that are on here, at least in my opinion.

It seemed pretty unambiguously metal to me, and I have the backing of at least one other mod, so I've unblacklisted them. Have at it, our little apologist friend.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kingmincer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm 

UndeadIdiot wrote:
kingmincer wrote:
Hello. The band "Methuselah" was rejected because there wasn't proof of a physical release. This is the black metal band from Cleveland.

I have photos of the cassette here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88772810@N ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88772810@N ... otostream/

It's a new/very small independent release, so it's not being distributed online. Hope this helps!

How is it being distributed?

It's currently being distributed by the band. And it will soon be distributed by a startup black metal/noise label in Cleveland, once everything is organized. But I assure you that there is most certainly a physical release that is in circulation.

Vautour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:55 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

It seemed pretty unambiguously metal to me, and I have the backing of at least one other mod, so I've unblacklisted them. Have at it, our little apologist friend.

Done, thank you! :-)

xynobys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
xynobys wrote:
PLEASE approve the band ABSTRACTER, this is reasoning for the SECOND and unappealable rejection:

"Psychadelic Rock. Not a metal band; does not belong on Encyclopaedia Metallum. Please read our rules next time to see what qualifies as metal."

This is ridiculous! all it takes is a quick listen to the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgzA7PoyvI

This band is AS METAL AS IT GETS! this is an extremely heavy Doom metal band with psychedelic elements to the music, it never said "Psychedelic Rock" ANYWHERE! Only "Psychedelic" hence the genre tag. The genre was amended, PLEASE approve it!

And PLEASE don't ask me to resubmit it, it took me hours to do so the first time, please approve this ASAP, this was a mistake on your end, please approve!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Abs ... 3540351699

thanks!

It appears to be digital only, I think the music would qualify though, but you REALLY need to change your tone ASAP.

Please approve this band, it is not digital only, here's the tape they have out: http://abstracter.bigcartel.com/product ... sette-tape and here: http://abstracter.bandcamp.com/merch

this band is METAL as they come and with an album out, please approve! thanks!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:52 pm 

xynobys wrote:
Please approve this band, it is not digital only, here's the tape they have out: http://abstracter.bigcartel.com/product ... sette-tape and here: http://abstracter.bandcamp.com/merch

Resubmit.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm 

kingmincer wrote:
It's currently being distributed by the band. And it will soon be distributed by a startup black metal/noise label in Cleveland, once everything is organized. But I assure you that there is most certainly a physical release that is in circulation.

Alright, you can resubmit.

kingmincer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:19 pm 

UndeadIdiot wrote:
kingmincer wrote:

Alright, you can resubmit.

Thanks a ton! Appreciate it.

xynobys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:20 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
xynobys wrote:

Resubmit.

done thank, you!

Ruptured_Souls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:02 am 

Hey,
Tried to put up Dark Revenance (a band i used to play bass in a while back).
It involved members of Eastern Front (Candlelight recs) The Furious Horde and Corpse Fauna.

I tried to put the band up while it was still active - but it was rejected and i didn't bother to put forward a case.
However, i was talking to the vocalist recently, and we spoke of getting the album recorded (2 years after we were put on hold!), so i thought it was time to try again.
The singer had some of the physical releases (i never bothered to keep any) so he gave me a few copies of each demo and the single.

I tried to put the band up yesterday, but it was rejected due to 'lack of evidence of physical release'.

I had put a link to Discogs Marketplace:
http://www.discogs.com/Dark-Revenance-T ... se/3957729
which had scans of the single we made.
(Also the bands old myspace Bio states that there was at least one demo and a single sold at shows.)

that obviously wasn't enough, so i've taken a photo of one of my cds:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3957729

Also, you may want to check discogs again, as there is one for sale (right hand side of the screen):
http://www.discogs.com/Dark-Revenance-T ... se/3957729

Hope this clears up any problems!

Regards,
Ruptured Souls

Ruptured_Souls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 am 

Dark Revenance Demo now on discogs, and for sale:

http://www.discogs.com/Dark-Revenance-D ... se/3959292

:)

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am 

So I tried adding Avenged Sevenfold to he MA. It let me edit it and everything a couple days ago, but I tried submiting it and it said that it was blacklisted. Is this some kind of an error or what?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am 

You can bet your arse that's no error. Avenged Sevenfold are pure -core, not metal.

Interestingly enough though, you *shouldn't* have been able to add a draft for them in the first place... :rolleyes:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am 

Yes, we have mistakenly blacklisted this obscure underground gem called Avenged Sevenfold. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, it clearly is metal enough now that I listened to it for the first time ever.

:|

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am 

But, but, but they have solos!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:49 am 

Alhadis wrote:
You can bet your arse that's no error. Avenged Sevenfold are pure -core, not metal.

Interestingly enough though, you *shouldn't* have been able to add a draft for them in the first place... :rolleyes:

I still find it weird that MA allowed me to add a draft for them. That's what confused me.

Azmodes wrote:
Yes, we have mistakenly blacklisted this obscure underground gem called Avenged Sevenfold. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, it clearly is metal enough now that I listened to it for the first time ever.

:|
Metantoine wrote:
But, but, but they have solos!

Okay, you guys don't have to be sarcastic, I realize that they aren't metal enough to be in the MA. But I am confused on why Deep Purple is in the archives. To me, they shouldn't belong there IMO.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

Well, okay, that draft thing is weird and should be looked into (although I just tested it and it doesn't let me create a draft for A7F, maybe you misspelled the name or changed the country for the draft and then corrected it when you tried to submit it to the queue).

Anyway, sorry, but sarcasm is what you're going to get when you inquire about a band that popular and imply it's an "error". A simple forum search would have given you this.

Deep Purple are here because of their historical significance, it's even mentioned in the rules. Lurk around a bit more and get better acquainted with the site and the rules before posting next time. That's not an insult, it's honest advice.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:54 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Well, okay, that draft thing is weird and should be looked into (although I just tested it and it doesn't let me create a draft for A7F, maybe you misspelled the name or changed the country for the draft and then corrected it when you tried to submit it to the queue).

Wait, I see the issue now. You made a typo here; the name was misspelt "Avenge Sevenfold" in your original submission.

In either case, if a band that famous isn't on the site, it should be obvious they're not here for a damn good reason. :p

Alexx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 am 

Aeterna Nox physical CD proof:
http://cs303804.userapi.com/v303804886/ ... G1jzzo.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0762247767

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aet ... 3540353773

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:53 am 

Resubmit with those links included in the submission notes... no need to post about it here, mate. :)

s05717475
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:10 am 

Quote:
Sorry s05717475, Encyclopaedia Metallum was forced to reject your submission for the band Kroll (Germany), for the following reason:
Can you provide more samples than one song for us to listen to?
If you want to object to this rejection, please do so in the appropriate thread in the Suggestions and Complaints sub-forum. Do not e-mail moderators directly about this.
Sincerely,
- Azmodes, Encyclopaedia Metallum

Yes I can:
This is the track "Erlöser" from the same album:

http://www.abartigkeit.com/kroll.mp3

Would you now please accept the band?

Thanks

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 pm 

Please unblacklist this band (Poemisia from tally), they are obviously metal and i have the phsyical release, i contacted them personally, probably it's a band blacklisted for physical release reasons, here samples:
- http://www.reverbnation.com/poemisia

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 pm 

No, they were blacklisted for being soft faggothic rock with delusions of metal.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm 

You're not even posting the physical release proof anyway. Only 2 tracks on 4 track on their reverbnation are borderline metal.

Smurphy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm 

Why were Lets Play God blacklisted?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 pm 

Bands usually get blacklisted for 2 reasons.
1) no physical release
2) it's not considered metal by our staff

It's the 2nd option here.

Smurphy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm 

I can't agree with that at all, physical release and their music is clearly metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 pm 

They were blacklisted by Morrigan, so we can safely say they don't fit our standards, haven't heard the band myself.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 pm 

Smurphy wrote:
I can't agree with that at all, physical release and their music is clearly metal.

Nobody's expecting you to agree whatsoever. But arguing and protesting about it here isn't going to affect anything but our patience.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 am 

Why Vestiges from United States was blacklisted?? it's normal USBM in the vein of Skagos and Addaura...
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRkjWhqA0wM

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 am 

It's mostly just crusty punk/post-rock with black metal overtones...

Or at least that's what the blacklist note tells me. That song sounds acceptable, but I'm assuming the rest of the band's music sounds a lot less acceptable.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:32 am 

All their songs are here
- http://www.myspace.com/wearevestiges

Ruptured_Souls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 am 

Hi again,

Resubmitted Dark Revanance and got this:

Quote:
Yeah, okay, putting a single copy of a demo up for sale on a site proves absolutely nothing about the release's authenticity. Do any of the band members have an e-mail address or contact details that one of us can get in touch with them over? Because I don't trust you, sorry... especially not after those Discogs entries were added for sale in time since your original submission attempt. Am I to believe this was just a matter of convenient timing? Alhadis

I've stated earlier on this forum that i am the bassist. So if you want to contact a band member - here i am :). If you look up the bands old myspace - http://www.myspace.com/darkrevenance You will find the members and their emails, and you'll find ruptured_souls and his email. If you really don't trust me, you can message the singer - Chris- Nagant EasternFront on facebook ([email protected]). I'm sure he'll confirm the demo and single as being released by the band and sold/given out at shows. He may be more 'reliable' than me in your eyes as he is now singing in a singed band with worldwide distribution.

Also, yes. I thought it was clear that you wanted more proof of the existence of the physical releases - so i put some of my spare copies up for sale on discogs, so that there was evidence online of them for sale. (it's difficult to prove that they were given out at shows on here you see. Also with the band being on hold the last 2-3 years, we don't have an active facebook or bigcartel store etc.). So that was no trickery from me or trying to pull the wool over your eyes. You asked for proof of sale and photos, so i put some up. Not 'convenient timing' as you put it. Just me showing you the evidence you asked for. ;)

As i said earlier on the forum - it was the singer who had all the spare copies we didn't get to sell before we went on hold. I recently saw him, and we spoke of getting the album we never finished recorded one day soon. We spoke of finally putting the band on metal-archives as it was an official project (we have numerous other sideprojects and old bands i wouldn't dream of submitting! :D haha), and he gave me a handful of the old releases.
I set about putting them on M-A, and was rejected, so i decided to put some copies up for sale, both as proof to your good selves, and just to put them up for sale somewhere. I have more than just the one copy of each, but on discogs i put them on one at a time.

I hope this clears up the problems! :)
p.s. sorry for the long ass messages! I get carried away!

Regards,
Matt.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 am 

Alright, you can submit, but I WILL be contacting Christopher for a second story. Sorry for the Schindler's list, but we've had people go to absurd lengths to get their bogus projects onto the site. When people offer us shady proof of something that used to exist, as well as state that they're a member of said project, we need to be cautious.

Ruptured_Souls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:36 am 

No worries guys,

I fully understand. Sorry i only have the facebook email for him. Most of the time i keep in touch with friends over facebook rather than email these days! But that email should work.
Any problems, you can throw me an email and i'll try to find more contacts - e.g i can ask Chris for his daily email address.

Anyways, cheers, and keep up the good work!

p.s., should i resubmit now, or wait till you've had confirmation from him?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 am 

You can resubmit... and should Chris get back to me and confirm your story is bullshit (which I trust it isn't ;)), I can always delete your band. :p But for now, I suppose there's nothing I can do to DISPROVE the project, since you're an ex-member and all...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 541  Next