Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:02 pm 

Well, you're certainly more accurate than some of our regulars.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. :)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 pm 

Well, that was insulting. I'll remember that. At least I'm not a slow dummy like you.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Well, that was insulting. I'll remember that. At least I'm not a slow dummy like you.

You call that insulting?? What about me and computer screenshots?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm 

Haaa, you wanted to avenge this? I see, well taking a screenshot with a "camera" was very funny.

Eazu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 pm 

@oogboog
Thanks man.

@Metantoine
Someone actually took a desktop screenshot with a camera?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 pm 

Eazu wrote:

Never. Forget.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:30 pm 

Eazu wrote:
@Metantoine

Oogboog did, you know the one laughing at my English skills.

Eazu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm 

Ah, I see. Don't worry Metantoine, I would have wrote the same thing as you did there. It took me a long time to recognized your mistake in that post.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 am 

Eazu wrote:
Ah, I see. Don't worry Metantoine, I would have writed the same thing as you did there. It took me a long time to recognized your mistake in that post.

FTFY. :-D

I mean, welcome to the forums!

Eazu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Eazu wrote:
Ah, I see. Don't worry Metantoine, I would have writed the same thing as you did there. It took me a long time to recognized your mistake in that post.

FTFY. :-D

I mean, welcome to the forums!

Haha, thanks for pointing out my error. I didn't even see that until you point it out.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Ah, I see. Don't worry Metantoine, I would have writed the same thing as you did there. It took me a long time to :nazi: recognized :nazi: your mistake in that post.

Going easy on the new guy and instead poking at the guy poking at the new guy. Baaaad inhumanist!

Don't worry folks, we generally aren't this anal, this is all OOGBOOG's fault (things usually are OOGBOOG's fault, common practice.) Welcome!

optimusjamie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm 

Hey. New guy here.
I s'pose I just like metal. I'll listen to anything short of NSBM, but my music library mostly consists of European Power/Symphonic/Neoclassical metal. I especially like Blind Guardian and early Rhapsody of Fire, but recently I've taken a bit of a liking to Sabaton.
I'm into a lot of things besides metal, but that really should be obvious. I'm a massive gamer- my favourites are Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim. I will readily admit to being a Brony- not that I'll make a big deal of it.
So, that's me.

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 am 

Hello everyone.

Should have posted here first but decided to post on other sections of the forum first.

21. Riverside,CA

Blackened Death
Black Metal
Shoegaze
Crust
D-Beat
Death Metal
Ambient
Depressive Black Metal (If you want to put that into it's own list)
Hardcore (very selective)

Top Bands Right Now:
The Haunting Presence
Planning For Burial
Disma
Archgoat
Nocturnal Blood
Xibalba (US)
Black SS
Crass
Airs

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 am 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Ah, I see. Don't worry Metantoine, I would have writed the same thing as you did there. It took me a long time to :nazi: recognized :nazi: your mistake in that post.

Going easy on the new guy and instead poking at the guy poking at the new guy. Baaaad inhumanist!

Don't worry folks, we generally aren't this anal, this is all OOGBOOG's fault (things usually are OOGBOOG's fault, common practice.) Welcome!

You messed up the quote tags, just sayin'.
The second error could be a mere typo, therefore I didn't feel the need to mention it :-P

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 am 

Oh, no, trust me, that was on purpose... ;)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 am 

Okay...
I hope you don't think I wrote "writed" because I thought that was correct.
I had a feeling it would escape some people what I did there...
I worry too much about crap like this :boo:

SpiritxCrusher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am 

So, yeah, I'm from Jordan (AKA the middle of nowhere >.>), I'm 18 years old, I play bass, occasionally I do a vocal cover of some death metal song (still working on improving), I hate politics and religion, I love physics and science in general, and a bit bi-polar.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 am 

SpiritxCrusher wrote:
So, yeah, I'm from Jordan (AKA the middle of nowhere >.>), I'm 18 years old, I play bass, occasionally I do a vocal cover of some death metal song (still working on improving), I hate politics and religion, I love physics and science in general, and a bit bi-polar.

Welcome, dude. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

redzicdany
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:18 pm 

Hi guys! I'm new here and a little help about few things could be nice...

First, I'm from Croatia and here in our crap country metal does exists. It's not so great so friends and I are trying to form a bend that will rock out Europe stage. Most of croatian bands are punk or rock bands, altough they are registered as heavy metal. So we need here some good concerts. About our band; we'll play some mixture of power, death and melodic metal, but we can't find good, easily to remember name. We just tought we found it and then we found here in archive that name is took. Any suggestions? :)

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 am 

Oh this is a thing.

Uh, hey, I'm TAG. Or Cam.

I like black metal. And writing. My favorite band is Coheed and Cambria. I have a LastFM if you're into that sort of thing.

I also have a blog, which is as much about fine-tuning my writing as it is a forum for my opinions. I welcome criticisms on my writing. Especially when it comes to terminology and music theory, because I'm not a musician and I have no idea what to call most things when I talk about metal (which has made my metal reviews very difficult to write). Of course grammar and syntax are important too so that as well.

I'm also a complete clownshoe, but I've already told Asmodes that I'd reel it in (because I got in trouble with Napero).

So that's me in a nutshell.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

I'm 15. Over the last year my musical tastes have changed dramatically from -core genres to music that has some redeeming value (Rise Above or Freezing Moon? Not that hard is it!).

My favourite genre is black, melodic death or folk metal. My favourite metal albums are Burzum's Filosofem because it shows off Varg's musicianship, Mayhem's DMDS because it crystallizes my view of Norwegian black metal, Ruins of Beverast's Rain Upon the Impure because it's dark and amazingly done, Sodb's Demo (if you can count that), Primordial's To The Nameless Dead because it really drew me in to proper metal, Eluveitie's Spirit because whilst it is by no means the best folk metal album it is fun and Bathory's Nordland II (I prefer it to the first one for some reason).

There's no metal scene where I live and I envy all those who live in countries that actually have local bands that play in their country. Or have good bands that play in the country. Most of the bands I know of are pretty well known because it's hard to hear of small bands that don't play in your country. Or anywhere near it for that matter.

Holy Diver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 am 

I'm 18 and I live in Oregon.

Black Sabbath is my favorite band, they're the reason I got into metal. Classic heavy metal is by far my favorite subgenre, but I'm open to recommendations from others.

Rock hard, ride free. :metal:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:41 am 

ExNoctemNacimur wrote:
I'm 15. Over the last year my musical tastes have changed dramatically from -core genres to music that has some redeeming value (Rise Above or Freezing Moon? Not that hard is it!).

Listening to deathcore and metalcore doesn't make you an outcast or a loser or a poser or whatever. I wish people would realise that!

Anyway, welcome.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm 

It's not so much that I think it makes me look like a poser or whatever because I do enjoy some music that may be considered "poserish" or called "the enemy of metal" (ie bands such as Minor Threat or old-style AFI). Instead I just grew out of the -core music, which I was only listening to for about 2 months anyway (prior to that I was a horror punk fan for about 3 years, I guess death metal or some black metal could be considered natural progression). I consider the -core music a sort of "stepping stone", if you like, into the realms of more extreme stuff. It was for me at least.

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 am 

I don't know how I've gone nearly four months without making a "HEY LOOK AT ME" post, so I'll go ahead and do it now.

I'm just a dude. I listen to metal. I've written some reviews, and they aren't very good. I don't know why I'm still a Mallcore Kid when I have 66 points, but whatever. Maybe I didn't see something in the FAQ or rules.

Hit me up if you want, I've got potato chips and beer over here. Good beer.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 am 

Site points =/= forum status. You can have 10,000 points and still be a mallcore kid in the forum because you have 10 posts. Still, people who are frustrated because of this title are silly, post more and it's gonna be removed soon.

Can I have a beer anyway?

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 am 

Darn, and all this time I thought it was a points thing, not a postcount thing.

And sure thing, you can have a beer.
Heck, you can even have a good beer.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

ExNoctemNacimur wrote:
It's not so much that I think it makes me look like a poser or whatever because I do enjoy some music that may be considered "poserish" or called "the enemy of metal" (ie bands such as Minor Threat or old-style AFI). Instead I just grew out of the -core music, which I was only listening to for about 2 months anyway (prior to that I was a horror punk fan for about 3 years, I guess death metal or some black metal could be considered natural progression). I consider the -core music a sort of "stepping stone", if you like, into the realms of more extreme stuff. It was for me at least.

Anyone that would call Minor Threat, Black Flag, or any of the punk/hardcore bands from that era "poserish" is a fucking idiot anyway!

Welcome to the board dude!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 pm 

Uh, my name is Patrick. I like metal and I write books. My tastes in metal are all over the place; trad, power, thrash, death, black, doom...whatever. Depends on my mood. Only bands with names that begin with the letter "M," though. Everything else can go to hell. I particularly dislike "J" bands. I like stuff like Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel, Marduk, Megadeth, Motorhead, Metal Church, Morbid Saint, and Melissa Etheridge, the most brutal of them all.

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:40 pm 

ExNoctemNacimur wrote:

I would define "poser" as someone who pretends to be something he or she is not. I don't think being open and honest about musical tastes makes one a poser. I've been listening to metal since I was 13, which was around 1989, and I know all about all the "right" bands that these so-called guardians of good taste tell you that you are supposed to like, and which ones you aren't. Ultimately, I give about two shits and one half of a fuck. If I hear a Disturbed song that I like (And it's happened), I'll listen and enjoy it, rather than turn it off because, "OMG, it's not TROOOO." So you go ahead and listen to whatever you want. Personally, I think Prince is a genius. Who cares?

CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:06 pm 

:np: Hello from BC Canada, I like 80s thrash and death.
First metal group was Judas Priest.
Current fave metal is Kreator and Nevermore.
Horror movies and some adult movies.

I also have facebook! Have a nice day!

Frozen Hearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm 

CheekSuck9 wrote:
:np: Hello from BC Canada, I like 80s thrash and death.
First metal group was Judas Priest.
Current fave metal is Kreator and Nevermore.
Horror movies and some adult movies.

I also have facebook! Have a nice day!

Ha, nice.

I live in British Columbia also, mate!

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:38 pm 

Noob speakin'. Noob to the forums...
but not a noob to metal!
Yeah, my ass is so grass.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 pm 

I've actually been using the Metal Archives for a year or so now, but didn't decide to sign up on the forums (mostly because I was a bit shy) until this week.

I'm Mike, 20 years-old living in New Jersey, US.

A few things I can say about myself are I'm very, nice, reserved, brutally honest, down to earth and a loyal friend. Honesty and loyalty are also some things I value most in my friends. I also like to help out when I can.

I don't do much in my life but sit around on my laptop all day everyday, only socializing online, as I have a hard time with IRL socialization due to my Asperger's Syndrome, but I am getting better as I am trying to push through it.

I'm extremely eclectic; into just about any music, as long as it's: Atmospheric, catchy, emotional, dark, evil, angry, aggressive, fast, heavy, unique and/or weird. If any music has any of those attributes, I most likely will take liking to it, regardless of if it's some super girly pop song or something. Though, I have a very strong preference towards black metal and its many ridiculous sub-genres. I like a lot of death metal and doom as well, but not as much as black. I also go wherever my mood takes me; there have been times were I went straight from dark and heavy Incantation to happy and upbeat Furries in a Blender.

Currently listening to: The Faceless
Favorite bands: The Ruins of Beverast, Lifelover, Blut aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Xasthur, Shining, Rotting Christ, Akercocke, ChthoniC, etc.

You can also check out this collage I made of all my favorite artists' logos: http://i.imgur.com/FuBD9.jpg

Also, I'm an avid Last.FM user: http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Rael Taxt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:15 pm 

Hey Everyone, I decided to sign up here to expand my knowledge of metal music. As of now, the (metal) bands I'm into most are Sabbat. Type O Negative, Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, and King Diamond.
Thanks everyone, I hope to have a great time here!

-Cale

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 am 

Hey everyone!

Decided to join to discover new bands thanks to this cool community and share my thoughts. I'm a 41 years old metalhead. I try to be open-minded but I definitely have old school tendencies! I tend to like metal from all the spectrum, the different genres but am mostly a traditionalist. I am of the school of thought that too many bands stick themselves into sub genre straightjackets and as a result, fail to produce something worthwhile and interesting. I like most genres of metal but not really into "core" stuff. I usually prefer clean singing but am game for anything if it's well done. Well-done, heartfelt, original and powerful vocals will usually be the thing that draws me most to a band.

I'm an amateur singer. I started singing again recently after a 10-year hiatus and have formed a garage band. We do it purely for fun. If I have ever "flash" this fact in a thread, be sure that it is only to inform you of where I am coming from, my perspective, bias and experience and not some form of "credentials". But I am passionate about singing and music in general.

Some of my favorite bands are: Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, Manowar, Paradise Lost, Slayer, The Gathering
A pretty conventional list for most of you, I presume.

Stuff I am listening a lot to right now: Tool, Avichi, Devin Townsend, Jag Panzer

I listen to a lot of non-metal stuff as well. Post-rock, 60s-70s hard rock, classical, folk, prog, alt-rock. The list could go on.

See you around!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 am 

Welcome, mate. Always cool to have more Montrealers. I'm surprised no one has used your username before.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Welcome, mate. Always cool to have more Montrealers. I'm surprised no one has used your username before.

You from around too?

BTW, I've tried to search for forum rules but couldn't find any. Are there any guidelines written somewhere?

Naturespawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 am 

Greetings from Finland. I'm 19 years old, and my name is Joni.
I enjoy listening to good music, mostly metal but also some country (Johnny Cash) etc.
I don't do drugs, i love beer and i'm a computer enthusiast.
Well, i think that's briefly it.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 am 

Naturespawn wrote:
Greetings from Finland. I'm 19 years old, and my name is Joni.
I enjoy listening to good music, mostly metal but also some country (Johnny Cash) etc.
I don't do drugs, i love beer and i'm a computer enthusiast.
Well, i think that's briefly it.

Hi Joni, steer clear of the vegan thread and you shouldn't be scared away too quickly :lol:

Don't do drugs? Me neither but I think most of the others do, judging by their posts :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 156  Next