Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm 

I think Playground of the Damned is actually the best post-reformation Manilla Road album. I certainly like it a lot more than Voyager, which just never grabbed me all that much.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

It took me awhile but I can now say, without question, Spiral Castle is my favorite of the newer stuff. It might have something to do with it being the least "new" sounding, but I don't really think that's the whole reason. It doesn't just sound older, it sounds kind of timeless to me. None of the other albums since the reformation have even a tenth of the atmosphere for my money. Everything is so BAND oriented on that album, as opposed to just one awesome riff after another. Part of me wants to lament how short-lived this quirky lineup was but I know in my rotten heart they wouldn't have been able to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

It's one of those albums that mean so much to me I hardly listen to it unless conditions are perfect and I know I can listen to the whole thing front to back undisturbed.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm 

That one is indeed off the hook. It's dense but catchy.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:11 pm 

I'm inclined to agree at this point. It took me longer to get into than any other Manilla Road album (I still haven't gotten into the newest Hellwell, heh) - over a year, I think, but it finally paid off. Every track is classic, excluding the instrumental and the bonus track, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Voyager would be my 2nd favorite of the new stuff, then Playground. All three are good, but Spiral Castle is just something else.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm 

No love for Atlantis Rising? Such a cool album. I can see the pillars of Atlanis rising from the sea when I listen to it. Voyager and Spiral Castle are badass too. Gates of Fire is drawn out like crazy, and the songs on Playground just aren't up to par.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:09 pm 

I'm going to echo that Spiral Castle is certainly my favorite of the post-reunion albums, too. All of the tracks are great (barring the instrumental, which I just tend to skip since instrumental tracks tend to bore the shit out of me) and as mentioned already, the atmosphere is wonderful. I think that I tried to get into that one immediately after checking out Crystal Logic as my first Manilla Road album, and I just remember that not happening, hahaha. I know that I gave it another try in early 2010 and fell in love, though. Hell, Spiral Castle is probably my favorite Manilla Road album along with Mark of the Beast. Hard to pick between those two, though I usually have to go with the latter.

I share the same 2nd and 3rd spots as you do, Jophelerx. Voyager isn't something that I listen to in full often, but it's a good album. Certainly has a fair deal of variation, it's just a lot to listen to. Playground has the more song-based approach of the older albums, so it's really the opposite of Voyager. Has a few great tracks (Grindhouse, Abattoir de la Mort and Art of War) and then the rest are just decent. Gates of Fire (which would be my 4th favorite of the post-reunion albums) is really hit or miss. The first three songs are all fairly great, but after that, a lot of them go on far too long or just aren't that good (or both). Epitaph to the King is beautiful, though. I haven't really listened to Atlantis Rising enough to say much about it, but I don't really have a huge desire to listen to it more from what listening I've done. Megalodon is a cool song, though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:18 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
No love for Atlantis Rising? Such a cool album. I can see the pillars of Atlanis rising from the sea when I listen to it. Voyager and Spiral Castle are badass too. Gates of Fire is drawn out like crazy, and the songs on Playground just aren't up to par.

IMO
1. Spiral Castle
2. Atlantis Rising
3. Playground
4. Voyager
5. Gates of Fire

I think Atlantis Rising was the first MR album I heard, got it for cheap in an used store, not quite a fan of the production but the songwriting is awesome.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:58 pm 

I don't particularly have a favorite post-reformation MR album. I like 'em all, though I might give the nod to Gates of Fire.

As for older albums, there's no contest. The Deluge is the winner.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 pm 

Woah, I'm surprised I didn't write that post, Solstafir. That pretty much describes my feelings about the post-reunion albums word for word. Except for Megalodon - that song is terrible. The only songs I like from AR are Sea Witch, Resurrection, and March of the Gods.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:20 am 

Spiral Castle and Voyager are my favorites of the newer stuff and actually my favorite Shelton releases in general along with the Hellwell album...all the other reunion stuff is good solid metal but not really blowing me away, though I'd never say something bad about those albums either really.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:46 pm 

I really liked the song from the new band RavenLord. Sounds to me like a mixture of Accept and Evergrey. Catchy traditional heavy/power metal with gruff (?) vocals and a modern edge.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=180771

By the way, has anyone here been able to hear the new Dark At Dawn EP? Their reformation was some of the best news I had heard lately!

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Woah, I'm surprised I didn't write that post, Solstafir. That pretty much describes my feelings about the post-reunion albums word for word. Except for Megalodon - that song is terrible. The only songs I like from AR are Sea Witch, Resurrection, and March of the Gods.

hahaha :P Well, like I said, I've hardly listened to Atlantis Rising, so keep that in mind regarding anything I say about it. I remember Megalodon having cool verses... now I'm thinking about it more and not particularly remembering anything besides those - and it's not exactly a short song, is it? One day I'll get around to really listening to the whole album, I swear.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:01 pm 

Holy crap!
I'm listening to the new release from Persian Risk and it is quite awesome. 4 songs in and very impressed.
Does anybody know who's in the band now?

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:00 am 

What´s the name of that speed metal album which has the airlplane with shark teeth (or something) cover?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 am 

Milo wrote:
What´s the name of that speed metal album which has the airlplane with shark teeth (or something) cover?

Fatal Violence - Ashes Tell No Tales

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Milo wrote:

Fatal Violence - Ashes Tell No Tales

Thanks man :)

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 pm 

I know this should go in the "recent purchases" thread, but I figured you guys would appreciate it a little more. I just got a haul of cassette tapes in the mail and they are not used, but brand new still in the original plastic. Except Bronz which I unwrapped to listen to. These were all either 99 cents or $1.98!

I'll reveal my source in a PM if anyone is interested.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:00 am 

New Brainstorm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIN4hucspc

Possibly the best working-mans/4-star power metal band ever. They don't do anything jaw-dropping but are so consistently entertaining in their blue-collar songwriting and performances that it almost becomes a spectacle in and of itself. Loved all of their recent stuff I've heard. They seem to have their style and sound down pat.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am 

All those are originals? *drools over Angus and Tyrant* Pretty cool shit, man.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
All those are originals? *drools over Angus and Tyrant* Pretty cool shit, man.

Yep. It looks like they still have some in stock. They also have some vinyl available:

http://www.oldies.com/collection-view/H ... nge_5.html

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm 

Damn, they have Helstar and Liege Lord too? I might have to make an order soon. That's too good to pass up.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 pm 

HAMMER OF DOOM VII (WUERZBURG-GERMANY)
Friday November 9th: Epic Metal

DEMON (UK)
DARK QUARTERER (IT)
DARK AT DAWN (GER)
DESOLATION ANGELS (UK)
WRATHBLADE (GR)

Aftershow: MERCYFUL DIAMOND (doors: 4€)

Saturday November 10th: Doom Metal

PENTAGRAM (USA) (special ‘Relentless’ Set)
THE SKULL (USA)

(feat. Orig. TROUBLE Members)
SOLSTICE (UK)
NECROS CHRISTOS (GER)
HORISONT (SWE)
NAEVUS (GER)
ZODIAC (GER)
COVEN 13 (USA)
ORCUS CHYLDE (GER)

wish I could go. :(
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm 

Cool haul, Fred, Deaf Dealer is awesome!

I wish I could go to that fest, Dark Quarterer is one of my favorite bands :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 am 

I'm kinda puzzled why Demon are headlining. Do people really like their boring AOR-infected hard rock crap? They have like 4 good songs on those first two albums, though, but a whole lot of filler. Maybe HeavyMetalBackwards is gonna go. :D

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 am 

Nahsil wrote:
HAMMER OF DOOM VII (WUERZBURG-GERMANY)
Friday November 9th: Epic Metal

DEMON (UK)
DARK QUARTERER (IT)
DARK AT DAWN (GER)
DESOLATION ANGELS (UK)
WRATHBLADE (GR)

Aftershow: MERCYFUL DIAMOND (doors: 4€)

Saturday November 10th: Doom Metal

PENTAGRAM (USA) (special ‘Relentless’ Set)
THE SKULL (USA)

(feat. Orig. TROUBLE Members)
SOLSTICE (UK)
NECROS CHRISTOS (GER)
HORISONT (SWE)
NAEVUS (GER)
ZODIAC (GER)
COVEN 13 (USA)
ORCUS CHYLDE (GER)

wish I could go. :(

Dark At Dawn are still together?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am 

I didn't know Coven/Coven 13 were touring again, they better do a US show at some point! Dark Quarterer and Desolation Angels are excellent as well.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I'm kinda puzzled why Demon are headlining. Do people really like their boring AOR-infected hard rock crap? They have like 4 good songs on those first two albums, though, but a whole lot of filler. Maybe HeavyMetalBackwards is gonna go. :D

They're not headlining, that list is just alphabetical. Here's the poster:

I guess they're sorta headlining "epic night", but the other bands there are hardly that big (Desolation Angels are way better, though). Apparently Exxplorer canceled and was replaced by Dark Quarterer and Dark at Dawn though, which is awesome because either band would be better than Exxplorer on their own.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 pm 

Boo. Again we go with the Exxplorer-hate :ugh:

Dark Quarterer > Exxplorer > Dark at Dawn
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 pm 

Since when does saying I like Dark at Dawn and Dark Quarterer better than Exxplorer constitute 'hate'? I don't even hate Exxplorer, I just find them pretty mediocre, and after seeing them live a few months ago my opinion didn't change. I haven't heard everything Dark at Dawn have done, but what I have is quite solid and pretty distinctive as far as German power metal goes. Not so much the individual building blocks of the songs, as there's obviously quite a bit of the typical influences in the riffs and leads and vocal melodies, but the way they put them together sounds quite different from their peers. For one they're a lot heavier, more aggressive, and more riff-based than Helloween-derived power metal, which you'd think would put them closer to the Wizard/Paragon/modern Grave Digger camp, but they're a lot darker, slicker, more modern, and less 'epic' than those bands usually are too. Early Manticora with gruffer vocals is probably a good comparison. Anyway, I like 'em.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 pm 

Dark At Dawn are great, at least the first two albums anyway. Checked out that new EP they did since reforming, not sure if it sounds like their last two albums, but I didn't really like it. Not straight up hard rock or anything, but it sounds like they're more simplified now. Not what I wanna hear from them.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:51 am 

Not sure how I missed this, but Crimson Glory posted a demo of a new song a month and a half ago.

What do you guys think?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:35 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Not sure how I missed this, but Crimson Glory posted a demo of a new song a month and a half ago.

What do you guys think?

Hm, sounds pretty good. At first I was rather nonplussed, but after another listen or two I was on board for sure. It's a weird pick for the first one we get to hear, considering it's a rather dreamy, laid-back, drawn-out track. While "Garden of Shadows" was good, a faster, heavier, more succinct track would've made for a better preview. Of course there's no way Todd La Torre Crimson Glory is going to equal the first two albums, but it sounds like we'll get a solidly enjoyable power metal album.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 pm 

So Bloodlust's (US) only album from 85, and follow up demo don't hold a candle to their 1988 EP Terminal Velocity. This is speedy power thrash with excellent riffs, and a very fitting vocalist. I know most of you will get a kick out of this stuff for sure.

Listen or die! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QySUZLU2SI

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

I was looking through the reviews and I saw all the hate for the cover of Wolf's debut, so I'm curious to know what everyone else's reaction is. Personally, I think it's easily their coolest album cover; the old, rugged, strange look of the wolf combined with some badass vultures for fingers is just fantastic; way better than the slick, polished approach they take on most of their covers. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Anyway, I've definitely been digging myself some Wolf lately, it took me awhile to get into them but now I can't get enough. Ironically, though, I find their debut to be my least favorite album of theirs, which sort of gives me the opposite perspective from most of the reviewers. Regardless, though, a damn fun band.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm 

Ehhh, the wolf on the first Wolf album cover just looks goofy. And not even in the good way.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:45 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Ehhh, the wolf on the first Wolf album cover just looks goofy. And not even in the good way.

I agree, it just looks amateurish rather than an odd ball personal drawing style.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 am 

That cover art looks awesome. All their other covers suck, but that one's just great... it looks like some 1970s hard rock artefact.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 am 

It's more reminiscent of a chimp than a wolf.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 pm 

That cover is the best thing ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm 

I'd like to listen to some Slough Feg, I've heard some songs on youtube and I would like an album recommendation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 624  Next