Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 am 

What are some albums with brilliant, epic choruses AND awesome riffs like early Fates Warning?

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
I finally got around to hearing English Dogs (I had avoided them before as I thought they would be rather punkish), and damn, I definitely didn't know what I was missing. Forward into Battle has some of the best riffing I've heard in PM and a fantastic raspy vocalist, along the lines of the guy from Witchgrave. I haven't heard anything about Where Legend Began, but I checked that one out too, and it sounds just as good, if not better! Nerdy fantasy lyrics, very progressive, killer songwriting...where have these guys been all my life?! Excellent stuff, anyway. I guess I'm a bit surprised to hear something this good that I didn't know before. Anyone heard their '90's albums? If so, are they any good? I plan to check them out eventually, but I'm more wary, given how few good 90s PM albums there are.

In a similar vein, how about some good bands with similar vocals to English Dogs and Witchgrave? (I know Venom, Motorhead, and most of their copycats already.)

It may be a bit off the mark, but you might want to check out G.I.S.M.'s second album. Their debut was hardcore punk, but this second album has heavy metal style guitarwork while retaining the punk vocal style. Here's the opening track, Good as It Is. Great album.

Milo wrote:
What are some albums with brilliant, epic choruses AND awesome riffs like early Fates Warning?

Cauldron Born - ...and Rome Shall Fall immediately comes to mind. While I prefer the debut, this album certainly has more in the way of the choruses you're speaking of. Check out Finder of the Black Stone, By This Axe I Rule and Blood Bath in the Arena.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am 

Milo wrote:

I would recommend checking out:

"Salt" by Wuthering Heights, "The Black Flame" by Wolf, "Suffer Our Pleasures" by Tarot, "As Darkness Reigns" by Oracle/Prodigy, "Collision Course" by Paradox, "Condition Red" by Iron Savior, and that's all I got for now.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Fuuuuck, Wolf's Edge Of The World still slays me every time I listen to it. Any other heavy metal out there with such superb atmospherics?
I've frequently touted this as one of the best NWOBHM LPs in existence. It's just so great: melodic, emotive, classic NWOBHM style. Love it. I believe i verbally fellated it in an review some time ago. Not sure what you're after, but some similar-ish NWOBHM might include Bronz or Trespass? Perhaps Marquis de Sade?

Will definitely look into those bands, thanks.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am 

Well, it seems I fulfilled my own request to an extent, albeit with an album that's not particularly obscure. I've always liked the guitarwork on the first two Cirith Ungol albums, but Tim Baker's just not for me. I checked out Paradise Lost though, and his performance is much more traditional and enjoyable for me. And listening this album just confirms to me how much Skullview sound like them! Excellent stuff.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm 

Graven Rite demo is awesome.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Graven Rite demo is awesome.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm 

Graven Image are pretty cool too.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm 

Milo wrote:

DEADLY BLESSING - "Ascend from the Cauldron"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677rorZtnKQ

TALISPHERE - demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwPnBEC ... ure=relmfu

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Will definitely look into those bands, thanks.

Add Mendes Prey

Anyways, i dunno how you guys can suggest apt recs based on someone's rather ambiguous request about rifts AND choruses, but good work. If anyone can do it, it's us elitist snobs!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 am 

It was simple really, as Solstafir demonstrated the correct recommendation is always Cauldron Born.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am 

New Manilla Road album cover. A lot better than that mess of a cover Metal turned out to be.

Spoiler: show

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am 

Pretty fucking sweet.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am 

Holy crap that is awesome! I may not be trusted on the issue though, because I thought that Metal reworking looked pretty sweet actually. Really comic-booky but somehow it just worked for me. This one is above and beyond though. I love how its the complete antithesis of the "Playground..." cover. That one was very slick, this is raw and unpolished, just like it should be.

Super excited.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Pretty fucking sweet.

Pretty much this.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm 

Shit, that does look good. Obviously I'd be picking it up as soon as it came out regardless, but now I feel better about it. We're certainly hearing a lot from Shelton these days!

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm 

Loving the MR art.

Thoughts on the new Icarus Witch, "Rise"?

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
New Manilla Road album cover. A lot better than that mess of a cover Metal turned out to be.

Spoiler: show

The fact that the image is hosted at a site that is blocked by my work and I can't find it elsewhere is slowly killing me right now.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm 

That new cover artwork is great and I'm stoked about how Shark and co. have been so active lately. The Metal reissue artwork was cheesy, for sure, but that's the charm and intent - certainly a superior version of the original.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:40 pm 

Bah. The original Metal cover in all of it's simplicity is way better than the new cartoony one. :nono:
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 pm 

Christ that's ugly. I've seen much better from year-1 graphic design students. What was stopping them from getting a proper painter like they had for a lot of their older albums?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 pm 

It's anything but ugly. You're ugly!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
It was simple really, as Solstafir demonstrated the correct recommendation is always Cauldron Born.

So true!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 pm 

I'd like to see a Manilla Road album with Lionel Baker cover art.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 am 

The new Satan's Host approaches!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:08 am 

October 29th, not too far away. I'm psyched for sure, it seems like this lineup can do no wrong.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:43 am 

I drunkenly demanded a song leak from the album on their facebook page and they said "Closest thing to a song leak from the New album is the video of "Island of the Giant Ants" from our Aug. 30 performance. Should have something from the actually studio sessions up soon. ;-)" So I'm hoping for a little taste before the album comes out. Also no word on pre-orders yet so hopefully they can make that date fine.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 am 

I'd like a new Titan Force album, instead! :P

English Dogs are alright. I think I like their UK hardcore meets epic metal sound better on paper. Certainly, they're not bad, though... it's a cool style, certainly, it would have been cooler if more English bands went in that direction rather than just copying Metallica/Anthrax (I'm looking at you, Xentrix!).

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Christ that's ugly. I've seen much better from year-1 graphic design students. What was stopping them from getting a proper painter like they had for a lot of their older albums?

What, like the amateur jobs on Crystal Logic and Metal? Don't get me wrong, I like those old, slightly goofy covers... but this one is fucking awesome. Up there with The Deluge/Open the Gates.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:32 am 

We'll have to agree to disagree. Deluge had some incredible detail (Open The Gates too) and the artist really seemed to know what he was doing. The horse on the new one looks like one of those horse costumes worn by two people, like he had a vague idea of what a horse looks like, and instead of referencing it, just took a shot in the dark, Hell, the whole thing looks like a nixer. Looking through his other work, it really seems hit-or-miss, with some decent album covers and concept designs, but I definitely think this was one of his "off-days".

Metantoine wrote:
It's nothing but ugly. You're ugly!

Nuh-uh, your a ugly!

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 am 

ICARUS. WITCH.
Why won't anyone talk about them? :grumble: I asked for your thoughts about their new album guys.
I mean I love Manilla Road but we currently have three (plus this one) threads discussing them now.

Icarus Witch on the other hand keeps getting ignored. "Capture The Magic" (Frank Aresti played on that record! OK guested but still...) and "Draw Down The Moon" are both decent albums.

Their new one is called "Rise" and is quite a significant change in sound. I like it (not to a great extent) and I am curious to what the rest of you make of it.
A few samples;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3siRzjhsEA
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... se/343636/

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am 

They used to be a good band. Songs for the Lost is commercial but also really awesome and contains some excellent songwriting, and Draw Down the Moon is really short but also has some awesome tunes with great riffs. The new one is pretty much crap. Really bland.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:18 am 

Wow that Icarus Witch song was terrible.
It sounds very modern and commercial and I thought this band was supposed to be more of a roots and trad band.
The first two records were good, not great. Overall, they have been a pretty decent band but nothing overwhelming and if they continue with this new sound they will soon be forgettable.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 am 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
ICARUS. WITCH.
Why won't anyone talk about them?

Because they suck. A lot.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
ICARUS. WITCH.
Why won't anyone talk about them?

Because they suck. A lot.

This is pretty good;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSgVnixu5-A

That album had some incredible riffing but clearly they have moved on.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am 

That wasn't too bad. I might give that song a 7/10, which admittedly is a lot better than most of their stuff. Fairly underwhelming, though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 am 

I tried to give a couple songs from Rise a chance on youtube recently because for whatever reason I REALLY love the new album cover (I think it strikes a balance between occult and sexy, which isn't something I see very often). It's just really really bad though. I think the title track was ignorable at best, the other two I heard were aggravatingly bad. The guitar sound is an instant turn-off for me, and then there's those shockingly generic "hard rock" vocals. Even if the riffing was incredible I'd struggle with it, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Not for nothin', but "professional" is the last thing I'm looking for in a heavy metal album cover. Battle Cry is my shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 pm 

Hm, based on that track I think I might actually have to go back and give Draw Down the Moon a chance, I think I based my dismissal of the band based on their other stuff. "Black Candles" was pretty solid, though. Also I agree Jonpo, the newest one sounds like a really second-rate version of Iommi's material with Glenn Hughes, with a bad production and mediocre songwriting.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm 

I guess i'll check out that new MR once it drops. I never really got into Playground of the Damned to be honest. Is it just me or is the production kinda weird/shitty?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 pm 

It was painfully average all round, for a Manilla Road album.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:11 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
I guess i'll check out that new MR once it drops. I never really got into Playground of the Damned to be honest. Is it just me or is the production kinda weird/shitty?

Maybe you downloaded the dodgy vinyl rip that was circulating before it was actually released? The CD sounds fine, to me, really appropriate for what they were going for. The drum sound is still kinda weird, though. I think the album's great, myself.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 624  Next