Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
New Threshold is really, really frigging good, you guys. Anybody else heard it yet?

I've been obsessing over Dead Reckoning these past few days, so I'll probably get March of Progress as soon as I can. How does it compare?

Dead Reckoning rules. What the hell is wrong with ConorFynes? Flat out calling it a pop album?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 pm 

I like Mac McDermott's warmer and more varied tone better than Damian Wilson's soaring, cerebral sort of croon, but that's just a personal preference and both singers are equally amazing in different ways. And there are no songs as good as "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" or "Slipstream" on the new one. But it is a more consistent album overall, even though opener "Ashes" is probably the best song on it. I really like the detail in the songwriting and how articulate everything is. It's a very mellow album, but the melodies are breathtakingly gorgeous and when the band finally does heavy up a bit, it has that much more of an impact on you. I'm only on my third listen though so who knows how it'll stack up in time.

Also Dead Reckoning is pretty much the only good Threshold album I heard before this. Didn't like Subsurface or Hypothetical much at all.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:52 pm 

Cool, #1 on my check-out list.

And yeah, that ConorFynes review annoyed me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I like Mac McDermott's warmer and more varied tone better than Damian Wilson's soaring, cerebral sort of croon, but that's just a personal preference and both singers are equally amazing in different ways. And there are no songs as good as "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" or "Slipstream" on the new one. But it is a more consistent album overall, even though opener "Ashes" is probably the best song on it. I really like the detail in the songwriting and how articulate everything is. It's a very mellow album, but the melodies are breathtakingly gorgeous and when the band finally does heavy up a bit, it has that much more of an impact on you. I'm only on my third listen though so who knows how it'll stack up in time.

Also Dead Reckoning is pretty much the only good Threshold album I heard before this. Didn't like Subsurface or Hypothetical much at all.

I definitely liked Hypothetical, but Clone is clearly the better MacDermott album. I actually like pretty much everything they've done to some degree, but actually what I've heard of the latest has left me cold. Wayyy poppier and a lot less substance than the older stuff. Nothing compares to this.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 am 

All ConorFynes reviews should just be deleted from the archives.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:15 am 

There are worse reviewers on here. Kluseba, for one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:53 am 

Fuck man, I've got such a mad craving for Star Wars episodes 4-6 it's killing me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKwHOfd2dk

:lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 am 

I wonder if it's as easy as he makes it look.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Shit, 0:33 is the best thing ever, my sides are hurting. :lol:

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 am 

I actually own some of the weapons he has. I don't know how I should feel about this. :ugh:

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 am 

darkeningday wrote:

this guy has some mad samurai skills
truly the Miyamoto Musashi of the 21th century

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:32 am 

Halloween's in 20 days! :hyper: I'm going as the templar again. Turns out, people go nuts if you wear chainmail around them. I got my great helm in the mail a few weeks ago, and I am set. Anyone have any Halloween plans yet?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 am 

Working. )-: But I am visiting lots of the haunted houses around my area with friends, and watching some cool horror movies no doubt, on the other days this month. So it'll still be cool.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am 

Fuck. I ordered Om's Adviatic Songs on vinyl last week, and found it lying on my doorstep after work yesterday. Giddy, I tore through the packaging and put both of the LPs on my turntables. So I'm totally in the zone upon listening to the first record, just loving this crazy shit - on the verge of a trance-like state, and when I switch to the second record, I find it's the same fucking one. They put two disc 1s in there instead of 1 and 2. I'm pissed! Pissed! I contacted the seller and have asked them to correct that shit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am 

Current Thin Lizzy reincarnation decide not to release new album under that name "out of respect to Phil Lynott".

Wise decision.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am 

inhumanist wrote:

If they really respected the man and his legacy they would have laid the band to rest with him. There is no Thin Lizzy without Lynott.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am 

Dude, don't come at me with that shit. I've seen them twice and they have every right as a live band to call themselves Thin Lizzy as long as they perform Thin Lizzy songs, as believably as they do, and for prices that are more than reasonable (/as support for fucking Judas Priest). There's also one of the original members among them, something that can't be said for Napalm Death and people still buy their crap...

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:45 am 

Halloween? I hope you Satan worshipers aren't celebrating that PAGAN HOLIDAY dedicated to debauchery, gluttony and sin!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 am 

iAm wrote:
Halloween? I hope you Satan worshipers aren't celebrating that PAGAN HOLIDAY dedicated to debauchery, gluttony and sin!

Mmm...dah botchery...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 am 

iAm wrote:

Or Christmas, that pagan holiday celebrating winter solstice. God forbid!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:40 am 

I plan on going as Ned Flanders this year. Can't wait to drunkenly slur a bunch of DOODLY-OODLIES at people.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:04 am 

Few dutch people celebrate Halloween.... I COULD dress up and roam the streets, but I'm afraid that people would mistake me for a actual baddy and call the police. :/

Or I could dress up as Flanders to, but I don't want to be mistaken for a christian either....

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am 

Marag wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

this guy has some mad samurai skills
truly the Miyamoto Musashi of the 21th century

This is way more impressive, disabling an assailant weilding fresh fruit

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Dude, don't come at me with that shit. I've seen them twice and they have every right as a live band to call themselves Thin Lizzy as long as they perform Thin Lizzy songs, as believably as they do, and for prices that are more than reasonable (/as support for fucking Judas Priest). There's also one of the original members among them, something that can't be said for Napalm Death and people still buy their crap...

Well... I wouldn't buy anything from ND past FETO so that analogy isn't exactly apt in my case and ND doesn't have anywhere near the notoriety of TL nor did any one member in ND play as important a role in the band as Lynott played in TL. It's all personal opinion... but personally I wouldn't see this new "Thin Lizzy" for free as I feel that Phil's position and importance to the band was on a level that the band should not continue without him.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:34 pm 

If you'd make that point for Bathory, I'd agree, but this way I see mostly prejudice based on misguided worship. Unlike Bathory, Thin Lizzy was a band in which not just one member did truly matter. You haven't seen them live, yet you conclude that it's worse than not seeing them live. That means you can't even accept them as a tribute band just because they attempt to at the same time continue the brand. :nono:

The "analogy" was a comparison by the way.

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:37 pm 

Halloween here mostly involves themed drinks at local bars and nightclub silliness along with the occasional costume. Maybe some trick-or-treaters here and there, but those can fuck off.

Oh, and they showed Braindead in its entirety at that one metal/rock bar around the corner last year.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 pm 

My buddy who normally throws the Halloween parties moved to Texas, so I've got no plans this year. After my drunken friend nearly breaking my toe last year and then passing out in a pool of my ass sweat, I think it's totally okay to skip a year.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:54 pm 

Halloween ideas:

1. Macho Man Randy Savage, but from various time periods. This is best done with a group of three or four dudes. All of you dress the period you chose (dystopian future, Victorian era, Russian Revolution, Nazi Germany w/e) and pad your outfit so you look huge (unless you already are huge). Also, needed: black wig, and bandana around the head. If you can find ridiculous sunglasses, get them. BUT THE REST MUST BE A PERIOD COSTUME. Then speak in the "OH YEAH" Macho Man voice the whole night - but exclusively about things in your time period. Par exemple:

"OH YEAH BROTHER, IF THERE WAS ONE THING THAT REALLY GOT MY BLOOD BOILING IT'S THE INTERCLASS MARRIAGES PROMOTED BY THESE SO-CALLED AUTHORS, WHAT NONSENSE AND DRIVEL, WE ARE A BETTER BREEEEED! [flex as you say the last part]" (says the early 19th Century English Macho Man Randy Savage)

"I TELL YA WHAT, IF YOU, JUST FOR ONE SECOND THINK YOU'LL GET THE LAST OF OUR STOCK, YOU'LL HAVE A WORLD OF HURT COMING YOUR WAY BROTHER, DON'T PUSH ME! THESE PIRATES WILL GET NOTHING. HER MAJESTY WILL BE SERVED!" (says 17th Century East-India Trading Company Macho Man Randy Savage)

Endless combinations, really.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 pm 

theposega wrote:
I plan on going as Ned Flanders this year. Can't wait to drunkenly slur a bunch of DOODLY-OODLIES at people.

Sounds just darn right ding-dongdiddlyightful!

I don't have any plans yet. It depends on where I'm at since I could very well be going out of town.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

That is a fantastic idea Frog!

Not sure what I’m doing this year, but I love costumes that I can play a role with. Last year I went as a creepy fundamentalist christian and wandered around the party giving out chick tracks and touching strangers uncomfortably while asking if they had been saved. Good times, I should really get on my costume for this year.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm 

Frog <3333 As a future history teacher, I love you.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

Bizzarro-World not-so-macho man Randy Savage would be a fun one.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 pm 

theposega wrote:

Imagining Jeffrey Dahmer dressed as Ned Flanders made me shiver.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
If you'd make that point for Bathory, I'd agree, but this way I see mostly prejudice based on misguided worship. Unlike Bathory, Thin Lizzy was a band in which not just one member did truly matter. You haven't seen them live, yet you conclude that it's worse than not seeing them live. That means you can't even accept them as a tribute band just because they attempt to at the same time continue the brand. :nono:

The "analogy" was a comparison by the way.

Yeah, analogy was definitely the wrong word haha

I in no way believe that Lynott was the only member of the band that mattered, and sure Downey is an original member and Gorham played on some of their best works and has writing credits on some of my favorite TL songs... but when I go back and look at who wrote the majority of those songs, especially the best of the bunch, it's Lynott and, to me, it's not Thin Lizzy without him... it's some of the same guys playing the songs that Phil (mostly) wrote... without him. Lynott died when I was 5 years old, realisticaly speaking I never had a chance to see one of my favorite bands of all time and one of the greatest rock bands in history... and I'm ok with that and would MUCH rather never see them in all their glory then see a tribute band without the pivotal member.

Like I said, it's all a matter of opinion, I'm not faulting you for seeing them but it's not something I would do.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Halloween's in 20 days! :hyper: I'm going as the templar again. Turns out, people go nuts if you wear chainmail around them. I got my great helm in the mail a few weeks ago, and I am set. Anyone have any Halloween plans yet?

I've wanted to do fancy dress as old gregg from the mighty boosh for ages. Will depend on if I can do a costume for fairly cheap if I do that or not.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:42 pm 

If I can find anything to do on Halloween, I'll be going as Dissector from Ghoul. All I need is a potato sack, a red flannel and a bullet belt.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Old Gregg would be awesome. I'm going to be lame again and just go as a dirty hippy again.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:30 pm 

This is what I'm currently watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... FC9QgEDXYc
What's wrong with Japan? Something must've gone terribly wrong since Super Mario World...

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm 

For years I've been wanting to go with somebody else as Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, but I never have a partner nor any good costumes. I was Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. one year, so maybe I could scrap together a quick Lie Bot costume and do an Achewood thing again. None of my friends read it so I'd be the only person getting the joke, but I wouldn't care.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642 ... 827  Next