Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am 

I'm a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity series, so you can bet I'll be there for the midnight screening of #4.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm a horror freak too and I completely agree that this decade hasn't really had too many great ones, but Cabin is one of my favourites. Though, in all honesty, it's not really a horror movie.
I thought the horror was pretty full on. I was expecting it to be goofy and ridiculous like Buffy but most of it is genuinely intense, no banana slipping or kazoo sounds to be heard. I would still call it horror despite the clash of genres..

It was mostly just goofy, man...I mean the whole premise, really. Cabin in the Woods is so silly you barely even notice. Not a whole lot of intensity or scares to be found. :p Though there were a few parts.

Looper - 3.75/5

The comparisons to 12 Monkeys are pretty apt, but that movie was way better than this one. Looper's strengths involve its great atmosphere and big, ambitious scope, but perhaps the scope was a little TOO big for what director Rian Johnson could handle. Last time we saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Rian Johnson together they made the superb Brick, which is still my favorite Levitt film. This one just doesn't hold up to either 12 Monkeys as a science fiction time travel movie or to Brick as a Rian Johnson movie. I really like the idea behind this, and it's clear everyone involved is really into it. Some of the individual moments are beautiful and stunning, and the directing, while rather pretentious and showy, does work to create some very memorable scenes. But as a movie, it just drags, and the pacing is pretty disjointed, with some parts feeling like they last an eternity and others having an oddly rushed feel to them (witness Bruce Willis's "future" life). It seems like this was an idea for a TV series that got crammed into a two hour movie, as a lot of these ideas just feel like disjointed sections that should have been broken up by episode breaks. Not for lack of trying, but Looper is pretty flawed.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity series, so you can bet I'll be there for the midnight screening of #4.

Stop proving you have shit taste, god!

I'm at the univ, so it means "MOVIE DOWNLOADING TIME"
Got some things I missed this summer and some others, including:
-Prometheus
-Moonrise Kingdom
-The Cabin in the Woods

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:30 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just watched the new Paranormal Activity 4 trailer and it's really looking recycled.

Holy shit. Alert the internet, we've got a genius!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am 

Metantoine wrote:
-Prometheus
-Moonrise Kingdom
-The Cabin in the Woods

I'll save you the time and "hipster" out by saying: They're all garbage.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:42 am 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, bla bla bla.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm 

WHAT. Moonrise Kingdom was a blast and it was dope. It was definitely the most Wes Anderson-y Wes Anderson movie, but he's still a lot of fun.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 pm 

Hitchcock Trailer looks like shit. I'd expect nothing less (more?) from the writer of "Man of the House" and the director of nothing.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm 

I definitely wanna watch Moonrise Kingdom. Rushmore has to be one of my all time fav high school movies and The Darjeeling Limited wasn't bad either. Hotel Chevalier sucked though. Still its hard to believe a movie directed by Wes Anderson will be garbage

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, bla bla bla.

Well, he has a point about at least one of them, Cabin in the Woods. The only "praise" I have for it is that it's better and funnier than other movies of this genre, which are generally worse than shit, so the praise doesn't mean much as you can tell.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:50 am 

Carrie remake starring Julianne Moore as bible thumping bitch mother.
Psyched? Yessir! :)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm 

ugh... fuck off with these remakes. Carrie doesn't need to be re-made... the original is still fresh in the minds of most people and any young-uns that aren't familiar need to see the original not some hollow "modern" interpretation.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 pm 

I maintain that we need to remake bad movies and make them good as opposed to the constant redundancy of remaking things we already like. I mean, I understand why studios do it, but artistically it would be really cool to try to make something lame cool.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 pm 

Have you read the Cracked article making that exact point? Anyway: Dredd.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 pm 

Surprisingly I haven't, I think I really bought into that idea in one of Yahtzee's written columns after he reviewed the new Monkey Island game.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
WHAT. Moonrise Kingdom was a blast and it was dope. It was definitely the most Wes Anderson-y Wes Anderson movie, but he's still a lot of fun.

It was very great indeed, the themes were great and the cast was quite cool (Bruce Willis with Bill Murray, Norton and Harvey Keitel!)

Gonna watch The Usual Suspects and Caligula soon, thanks to ortab for these recs.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 pm 

I loved Moonrise Kingdom. Definitely one of the best movies this year. Exceptional child acting and some really hilarious scenes.

You haven't seen The Usual Suspects? Mindblowing classic.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm 

One of the only twists I never saw coming.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Gonna watch Caligula soon

Just as long as you don't expect it to be in any form a high-quality film, you should be fine. Plop down on the couch with a couple fistfuls of vaseline and a bottle of wine, it'll be an evening.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:04 am 

I finally saw a movie that was almost as unfunny as Bridesmaids: Macgruber. I'm not even going to dignify it with a review. There isn't a single ''joke'' that doesn't fall flat. 1/5.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:14 am 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind isn't as good as it's cracked up to be. Maybe I have to watch it again.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:54 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I maintain that we need to remake bad movies and make them good as opposed to the constant redundancy of remaking things we already like. I mean, I understand why studios do it, but artistically it would be really cool to try to make something lame cool.

This is very true. There are, for instance, a share of sketchy older horror films that could have had a different creative spin. I guess this is all in an ideal world though, ha.

inhumanist wrote:
Have you read the Cracked article making that exact point?

Reading that, it just hit me how hilarious it would be to dress up as Connery in Zardoz (well, except when no one gets it, ha).

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:50 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I finally saw a movie that was almost as unfunny as Bridesmaids: Macgruber. I'm not even going to dignify it with a review. There isn't a single ''joke'' that doesn't fall flat. 1/5.

I'm surprised you made it through the whole thing. I think I turned it off 20 minutes in... maybe less :nono:

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 am 

Thor- 7.5/10 The ending sucked.

Raiders of the Lost Ark in theaters: 10/10 That goes without saying.

Star Trek Nemesis: 9/10 Good story, well put together and thought out.

Star Trek Insurrection: 7/10 Could have done better, but still better than Generations.

Cars 2: 9/10 Took my 6 year old to see it. Love it. Very nicely done. Can't wait for "Planes" to come out.

The Boy in The Striped Pajamas: 9/10 Am emotional movie that gets you thinking from the other side's point of view (Nazi pov, not American or Jew).

I don't go to see new movies that often.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:17 pm 

Shadow of the Vampire - I thought this was very good, and an interesting take on vampire movies. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it, but basically it's about this guy who will stop at nothing to make his vampire movie, although there's rather more than that going on behind the scenes.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:21 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
I'm surprised you made it through the whole thing. I think I turned it off 20 minutes in... maybe less :nono:

I rarely stop movies before reaching the end, even if they're atrocious. I'm not really sure why, I like to think they could redeem themselves. The only think that was even REMOTELY funny to me about that movie was fat Val Kilmer. Not anything he did, not anything he said. Just seeing fat Val Kilmer always makes me laugh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:26 pm 

After seeing The Traveler I have almost an aversion to watching anything Val Kilmer related anymore. God what an atrocious, heinous film that was...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 pm 

I saw that because my friend had assured me it was one of the worst movies he'd ever seen. Even that warning could not prepare me. Though I did find his whole whistling thing gut bustingly funny. I wonder who thought that was going to be eerie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm 

Rarely do films actually fill me with real hate and vitriolic spite, but that one just pissed me off deeply to the core with how exploitative and tasteless it was. If your main character is more hateable than your villain then something is really wrong. In fact all the good guys were just as bad as him - fuck that movie.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:43 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Gonna watch Caligula soon

Just as long as you don't expect it to be in any form a high-quality film, you should be fine. Plop down on the couch with a couple fistfuls of vaseline and a bottle of wine, it'll be an evening.

Yeah, I checked the video quality after the download, lots of tits, my kind of movie!

I watched Prometheus yesterday, it was very good, great acting by Rapace and Fassbender (aka Razakel). My best friend told me to check the extra scenes though. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece like some others so I was able to enjoy it as a good sci fi blockbuster.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

I rarely stop movies before reaching the end, even if they're atrocious. I'm not really sure why, I like to think they could redeem themselves. The only think that was even REMOTELY funny to me about that movie was fat Val Kilmer. Not anything he did, not anything he said. Just seeing fat Val Kilmer always makes me laugh.

Haha I usually stick it out through movies that appear to be bad initially but I couldn't even begin to hang with McGruber. One of, if not THE worst movie I've ever seen.

I walked out of that first Hulk movie in the theaters... which is actually the only movie I've gone to a theater to see that I didn't sit through. Fucking awful.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

I went and saw Sinister last night. It's definitely one of the best horror movies I've seen in a while, so I was pleasently suprised. If you've wondered about it, I'd recomend seeing it. Ethan Hawke delivers yet again.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm 

The only movie I ever walked out on was Speed Racer, but in my defense I didn't want to go in the first place. Women n' shizz.

In other news, I'm gonna try to see Sinister tomorrow, I'm super stoked for that movie.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 pm 

I just got back from Sinister, myself. It's creepy as hell, man. They just don't make atmospheric horror movies like this anymore.

Well, except for Insidious and Paranormal Activity. But other than that, they don't make atmospheric horror movies anymore.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:29 pm 

Well, if it's similar to those two, consider me not interested.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Not similar per se. Just saying it's atmospheric, and aside from those, it's a rare species.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 pm 

Kevin Spacey played Keyser Soze and John Doe. Two awesomely memorable villains in the same year. How cool is that? He sucked as Lex Luthor though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 pm 

Urhm, just saying, you might have just spoiled The Usual Suspects for Metantoine.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:17 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

What exactly is wrong with Insidious?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:06 am 

It wasn't that bad, surely better than stuff like Paranormal Activity, but I mostly just found it very boring.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 818  Next