Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 am 

I've been listening to a lot of these guys over the last few months. There's something about them that just seems right, like this is what black metal should base itself off musically, particularly with Halmstad as that I think is just an excellent album. The suicide shit I don't really pay attention to, although knowing that that's a big part of the band's mystique gives them a morbidness that a lot of other black metal bands don't have (plus a lot of other DSBM bands kinda ruin it with REALLY terrible vocals, I.E. Silencer).

So yeah, what's everyone else gotta say about them?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:21 am 

I think a lot of other DSBM bands ruin it with really terrible music. That is one genre i just cannot get my head around. No redeeming qualities whatsoever (for me at least).

I've never heard shining and i saw some trailer for their new album where the guy was drunk , naked in a bathtub, bleeding and eating fake puss. Now i definitely have no intention of hearing them. Ever. They strike me about the same as watain, in which the music could be neat but i wouldnt know because i just cannot get past the whole 'we're too evil and pretentious to have fun ' schtick.

But whatever you're into mate.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 am 

I'm a huge fan of IV and after with Halmsted being my favorite. I don't give a flying fuck about any of the extracurricular activities of Kvarforth all I care about is the actual music itself.

I'm glad they've been incorporating more cleans as those tracks tend to be my favorite. I'd love if they, at least for an album at least, dropped the black metal altogether and made a straight-up depressive rock album à la Katatonia.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:20 am 

HydroDrone wrote:
I think a lot of other DSBM bands ruin it with really terrible music. That is one genre i just cannot get my head around. No redeeming qualities whatsoever (for me at least).

I've never heard shining and i saw some trailer for their new album where the guy was drunk , naked in a bathtub, bleeding and eating fake puss. Now i definitely have no intention of hearing them. Ever. They strike me about the same as watain, in which the music could be neat but i wouldnt know because i just cannot get past the whole 'we're too evil and pretentious to have fun ' schtick.

But whatever you're into mate.

Having played with Watain before I can definitely say that the whole evil and Satanic schtick with them is for the most part an act. Outside of the environment of being on stage or in interviews they're pretty much normal, Swedish people, only they play black metal and have a bunch of tattoos (plus their bassist gave everyone in my band the flu, so take that for what you will).

As for Shining, Niklas Kvarforth (their lead singer and the guy in that bathtub video) is at the very least not all there mentally, to the point that he at one time made everyone believe he killed himself and turned out to be Shining's "new" singer in disguise, and I think that helps give Shining a uniqueness to them. At least he's not like Nattramn in that he's never, to my knowledge at least, seriously harmed anyone but himself (plus I read that Nattramn was at one point committed to a loony bin. Not sure if that's true or not).

DonHoorn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:35 am 

As far as I know most (if not all) weird rumors about Nattram are made up.

With Kvarforth I'm never sure if he is for real or if everything is just part of an act. Eitherway he's still a douce. Seriously though I like Shinig. IV, V and VI are really good albums. A great mix of depressive rock and black metal. As fsr as them still being dsbm. Well in lyrics yes, but music there is no dsbm anymore in their sound. With some new songs calling it black metal is already stretching it.

Offtopic: Subrick, you the same Subrick as on the TSE forums?
Mtalcore Scene: "Yeah!"
*Metalcore scene rapes death metal*

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:31 am 

Absolutely love Shining. Think they're a brilliant band, don't really care for the first two albums but III onwards are awesome, the only one I haven't paid too much attention to is VII which I will probably have another listen to later. I am looking forward to Redefining Darkness.

On stage I think he is a great frontman and a very good showman. Whether his antics are part of an elaborate act or due to him being mentally ill I doubt we will know, nor do I really care.

As for Nattram, I understand he is/was in a psychiatric hospital. However I believe he never killed a child with an axe and am sure he still has real hands ;)

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 am 

Great band. The forth album and everything after is some of the best albums made in the genre. Halmstad is one of my favorite albums, and it never gets old.

I don't see how some in this thread compare them to Watain, as watain is a "retro"-act. While Shining is probably the only original band in Black Metal now-a-days.

I'm looking forward to the new album, but I'm worried which direction it will take. Considering Kvarforth's sudden urge to show his appreciation for the Devil.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 am 

693 wrote:
Shining is probably the only original band in Black Metal now-a-days.

I beg your pardon? How many black metal bands have you heard? More than five?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 am 

Subrick wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of these guys over the last few months. There's something about them that just seems right, like this is what black metal should base itself off musically, particularly with Halmstad as that I think is just an excellent album. The suicide shit I don't really pay attention to, although knowing that that's a big part of the band's mystique gives them a morbidness that a lot of other black metal bands don't have (plus a lot of other DSBM bands kinda ruin it with REALLY terrible vocals, I.E. Silencer).
So yeah, what's everyone else gotta say about them?

I will tell you how I discovered them.
We were at Hellfest (some years ago), entered the Discovery Stage and saw this singer cutting himself while singing and bandaging his arms. We where like WTF?!?
As songs went by, we realized the music was AMAZING.
Give their music some credit and listen from (2005) Shining - IV - The Eerie Cold on.
You won't regret.

droneriot wrote:
693 wrote:

Yeah! They are original but... no FUCKING way the only one!

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 am 

droneriot wrote:
693 wrote:

Name some you think are original. There are probably a lot that are "original" in some sense, just to be weird and "different", but the music often is bad, so if you're going there we will be discussing something completely different.
Also a lot of the other bands that are so called "original", do things that have been done, or there are multiple bands doing the same thing. I agree that bands like DSO or BAN, were original, but not anymore, as there are tons of bands who mimic their sound now. On the other hand I can't keep track of every band that pops up. But of the current bands in the limelight, I think Shining is one of the only doing their completely own thing. That's why the potential direction of their new album worries me, as it seems it will be more "traditional".

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:39 am 

693 wrote:
I agree that bands like DSO or BAN, were original, but not anymore, as there are tons of bands who mimic their sound now. On the other hand I can't keep track of every band that pops up.

If I can interject real quick...
The fact that there are a good number of bands that imitate DSO and BAN (I'd like some examples too, while I'm here) doesn't make the originals any less original. That's a really lame argument. Also, if you're not going to bother doing the research and at least try to find some new and unique BM bands, then don't say anything, dude. It makes you look like a wank.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:17 pm 

Wow, you are really out there. I didn't say they were less original. I said, that a lot of bands got that sound now, so there are more bands that sound alike. It doesn't matter who did what first. If there are more bands playing similar stuff, it isn't original anymore.

Research? I don't even know what you are trying to point out here. You just come out of nowhere and try to imply that I don't look up new bands. and then you end you're whole nonsense rant with calling me a wank.

the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:05 pm 

syx wrote:
Absolutely love Shining. Think they're a brilliant band, don't really care for the first two albums but III onwards are awesome, the only one I haven't paid too much attention to is VII which I will probably have another listen to later. I am looking forward to Redefining Darkness.

On stage I think he is a great frontman and a very good showman. Whether his antics are part of an elaborate act or due to him being mentally ill I doubt we will know, nor do I really care.

As for Nattram, I understand he is/was in a psychiatric hospital. However I believe he never killed a child with an axe and am sure he still has real hands ;)

Kvarforth is a fucking tosser and acted like a complete throbber onstage when I saw them. He got so drunk he could hardly stand up and proceeded to make out with a load of jailbait little slags onstage instead of fronting the band . I was backstage at that show in around 09/10 and backstage he was just a meek , mild mannered little pussy so I recon its all just an act. Throw in the fact that he faked his own death to gain attention for the band and other stupid publicity stunts he has pulled through the years just make me realise what a little dweeb the guy is.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:18 pm 

The few times I've seen them they've been great, one of the things I hate is when bands are too fucked up to perform. I have been lucky I suppose when I've seen them.

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 pm 

Shining II through VII are all amazing, with V: Halmstad being the pinnacle of metal perfection. One of the greatest metal albums ever created, in my opinion. The new EP, Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt, on the other hand absolutely SUCKS! Hopefully the new album doesn't follow in the style of this EP. Commercial, boring drivel. And as for Niklas Kvarforth, I believe he is a serious mental case. The insane scars he has up and down his arms and on his chest are proof. A normal, sane, together person doesn't do that to themselves unless there is something seriously wrong with them psychologically.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:54 am 

DonHoorn wrote:
Offtopic: Subrick, you the same Subrick as on the TSE forums?

Yes, although a few days ago I got permabanned from there.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 am 

693 wrote:
Wow, you are really out there. I didn't say they were less original. I said, that a lot of bands got that sound now, so there are more bands that sound alike. It doesn't matter who did what first. If there are more bands playing similar stuff, it isn't original anymore.

Research? I don't even know what you are trying to point out here. You just come out of nowhere and try to imply that I don't look up new bands. and then you end you're whole nonsense rant with calling me a wank.

Wow, that still sounds retarded. Like the man said, other bands imitating or borrowing from pioneer bands do not make the said pioneer band any less original.. fuck I can't believe that has to be stated.

Sidenote: I do not think you understand what the word original means. If you mean other bands playing similar stuff makes the sound less unique or not as "new" then yes that's true. Originality exists within the band that pioneers that sound, it certainly does matter who came first and someone who usually isn't an utter tool can differentiate the quality of a band who pioneers a sound to the hanger's on.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:03 am 

I've loved Shining since I first heard IV - The Eeerie Cold. VI - Klagopsalmer was kind of a let down after V - Halmstad which is my personal favorite (I actually used to live in Halmstad so I guess I can relate to some of the feelings in the album). The band really redeemed themselves with VII - Född Förlorare though. It's an awesome album with really strong songs and awesome guest performances by Nordman and Erik Danielsson.

I'm really pumped about Redefining Darkness. Just hope it still has that great Shining atmosphere even if Niklas says that it's supposedly more black metal than the last couple of releases.

the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 am 

adrenalin wrote:
. The insane scars he has up and down his arms and on his chest are proof. A normal, sane, together person doesn't do that to themselves unless there is something seriously wrong with them psychologically.

Many people cut/burn themselves for many different reasons. I think he has done it for attention, none of them I saw when I met him were particularly deep, I't doesn't take a big hard man to cut your wrist from wrist to elbow so the vein/artery cannot be repaired. If he were seriously suicidal he would have fucking commited suicide by now instead of chicken scratching his arms / chest for attention. His biggest problem mentally seems to be alcoholism + a rather juvenile attitude.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 am 

Complete and utter rubbish after the debut album, which was a promising and very enjoyable album. Kvarforth's antics and posturing is quite repulsive, and I have absolutely no interest in the band musically apart from the debut.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 am 

Oddeye wrote:
The band really redeemed themselves with VII - Född Förlorare though. It's an awesome album with really strong songs and awesome guest performances by Nordman and Erik Danielsson.

Uhm... I see:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sh ... bers_guest
Thanks!

the_empyreal_lexicon wrote:
Many people cut/burn themselves for many different reasons. I think he has done it for attention, none of them I saw when I met him were particularly deep, I't doesn't take a big hard man to cut your wrist from wrist to elbow so the vein/artery cannot be repaired. If he were seriously suicidal he would have fucking commited suicide by now instead of chicken scratching his arms / chest for attention.

Really?!? C'mon!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm 

adrenalin wrote:
The new EP, Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt, on the other hand absolutely SUCKS! Hopefully the new album doesn't follow in the style of this EP. Commercial, boring drivel.

Holy shit! It DOES suck!
WTF?!? This seems like a bad taste joke after (2011) Shining - VII - Fodd Forlorare (Born Loser)!

P.S: http://www.terrorizer.com/blog1.php/201 ... xual-bands

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 am 

uh just new to black metal,just to give an outsiders perspective.. i watched an interview with the singer and he seemed like a complete fuckwit,and then when i listened a few songs (a girl crying,a dude lying in a room banging his head against the wall) and some others,it sounded alright but nothing like the other bands the got me interested in the genre

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 am 

The crying girl one is most likely Lat Oss Ta Allt Fran Varandra from Halmstad; that album has a couple samples from Prozac Nation (which actually wasn't that bad of a movie, mostly because pretty much everyone in it gave a great performance). The guy banging his head on the door one I have yet to hear, however.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:57 am 

I fucking love Shining..
Niklas is a friggin dork though.
if it was anyone else it'd bug me.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:32 am 

Subrick wrote:
The crying girl one is most likely Lat Oss Ta Allt Fran Varandra from Halmstad; that album has a couple samples from Prozac Nation (which actually wasn't that bad of a movie, mostly because pretty much everyone in it gave a great performance). The guy banging his head on the door one I have yet to hear, however.

i meant they are the same song(he starts smashing his head on the wall at the end).shit song anyway,after some more listening i dont like these guys at all actually.

the stuff talked about a few posts back with vocals guy cutting himself and stuff reminds me of drunk teenagers crying out for help

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 am 

The posts demeaning the "Lots Of Girls..." EP, particularly calling it "commercial" kind of make me roll my eyes. Although I get why a Shining fan, much less a black metal fan, would but put-off by it. However, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Possibly because I'm a Katatonia and Kent fan.

Nonetheless, I'm a huge Shining fan. Everything they've done from III onwards has been absolute audible ecstasy. Particularly V, VI, and VII, with V easily being my favorite. I do hope, however, that they move away from the sound of VII in favor of something "darker", I guess you could say. More in the vein of III and V. But I did enjoy VII substantially. But as a standalone release; not the usual Shining outing.

As for Kvarforth and his antics, I don't mind, really. I got into Shining at a young age, so I practically marveled at his edgy-ness, especially being new to the black metal scene as a whole. I doubt I'd withhold the same opinion now, but it's something I've learned to love. It's just Kvarforth doing what he does best. As someone previously mentioned, if it wasn't Kvarforth, I wouldn't accept his acts quite as warmly. I don't think his mental instability is fabricated, but maybe exaggerated. He definitely has quite a few demons to say the least.

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed he seems far more level-headed these days? Namely in the interviews taking place during, and preceding, VII. Although if his recent interviews are to be of any inclination, it seems that side of him was short-lived.

All this being said, the music will always be in the forefront. At the end of the day, Kvarforth has made some of my favorite metal albums to date and for that reason, if only that reason solely, I will always look up to him. Simply as an extremely expressive, versatile, and imaginative musician.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 am 

I liked their first five albums more or less, Klagopsamler had a few good songs, but the production annoyed me. Only heard one or two songs from Född Förlorare and didn't like it.. probably won't be following this band as hard as I once did, ever again.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:55 am 

I heard I-III and V. It started bad and got progressively worse. I don't think I dare to ever touch anything that came after V, if it continued in the same direction it was heading up to that point.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm 

i got my shinings confused. the depressive black metal shining is good for what they are but if i am going to listen to depressive black metal i will usually go for bethlehem instead.. the norway black jazz shining is a lot more interesting although they may not be "true" enough for many here

miran___
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm 

anyone remembers how kvarforth took pre-orders for some kind of shining box-set which was bought mostly by their loyal fans? and how he never released anything nor returned them their money? how this band still has any fans is totally mind boggling

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm 

I couldn't care less for their old material.

I really like the stuff since IV: The Eerie Cold though ... They finally distinguished themselves from the crappy generic DSBM "scene" and managed to come into their own. Halmstad, IMO, is awesome on every musical level. Gloomy, insidious and scarred all-through, but at the same time really good-looking, almost charming. I am instantly reminded of how flashy some things can appear when you first get to know them, but once you get familiar with their content, you realize they are pretty much rotten on the inside.

I know most people don't like Kvarforth. But he is what he is, and if anything, he is damn good at stirring the pot. The "purists" won't like him for that, but I guess that's exactly what he would want to accomplish if he actually gave two fucks about what everyone thinks.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 pm 

I really, really like Fodd forlorare, particularly Tiden laker inga sarr and Tillsammans ar vi allt. That album and Halmstad are my favorites by them.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm 

I have seen them many many times. Kvarforth is a brilliant composer and a great singer, just like everyone else he has his "character" on stage.

From IV - The Eerie Cold onwards they have developed their personal style in a unique way. VII: Född Förlorare is one of the best full-lengths of the last five years, in my opinion. And Huss is a truly astonishing guitarist (even if you don't like Shining that much, you will love his style for sure). That's it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm 

I really want them to use Hakan Hemlin more. His parts on Tillsammans ar vi allt really did make that song.

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:16 pm 

Not to derail, but we're doing a split Shining/MonumentuM 7", coming in November :)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 pm 

Seems kind of odd for a band to release two new things so close to each other, which in Shining's case are Redefining Darkness and this split release.

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:19 pm 

This was actually due a few months ago, but the original label who was releasing it (Avantgarde) was looking for a partner, and we stumbled upon each other. This will be ultra-limited to 300 copies only. I believe we'll each have 125 of them only.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 pm 

Defiantly checking that out, if the price is reasonable.

Hope they release a taster from the album soon. Weird they haven't yet!

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 pm 

693 wrote:
Defiantly checking that out, if the price is reasonable.

Spoiler: show

I actually really enjoy Shining, I could really care less about the way the lead singer cuts himself. I think they are one of the most unique bm bands to have existed because of their "suicidal" and depressive element. I wouldn't say they are the forefront of a new subgenre or the like, but I find it difficult to compare them to many notable bands I know of who share similar traits, other than perhaps Forgotten Tomb. I was very disappointed with their last ep that consisted of covers, though. I wonder what future material will bring, but I wonder if it will be of the same caliber of their earlier albums.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next