Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

Choose your favorite old school death metal band!
Poll ended at Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm
1) Immolation! 61%  61%  [ 126 ]
2) Incantation! 39%  39%  [ 79 ]
Total votes : 205
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm 

A lot of people wanted this one, so here it is!!! Choose between these two monuments of American death metal! Take your time and vote for your true favorite!
VS

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 pm 

Impossible to pick. They are too different for me to do so. Love them both equally.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:08 pm 

Immolation, easy. These guys win me over on the albums and live.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 pm 

Immolation by a long shot for me. Incantation are very cool and have some of the most crushing, oppressive stuff ever in Death Metal but Immolation just have way more interesting songs. I really prefer the unique riffing style of Vigna and the diversity of their catalog. I know I need to explore Incantations catalog further and look at them more closely, but they generally seem a lot more "samey" sounding, really sticking to their guns on most releases, whereas I feel each Immolation album has an identity of its own. They stick to what they know as well, but Vigna is just a mastermind. I never listen to one Immolation album and find myself thinking it sounds samey in any way, its always a breath of fresh air.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:14 pm 

Immolation are one of the coolest bands in death metal, and Rob is one of the most unique players in the genre. Can't say the same for Incantation.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:28 pm 

Incantation is exactly how I like my death metal - slow, menacing, and evil. Like the soundtrack of a primordial abomination rising out of the abyss and casting the world in darkness.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 pm 

this is a really hard question as i really enjoy both bands. If i was going to vote on being consistently fresh sounding on each album i would have to go with immolation. I feel the first three albums by both bands are must haves, but i listen to the first three incantation albums more often than Immolation's first three. That being said Otg by incantation is one of my all time favorite metal albums of any genre so i will vote Incantation on this one.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 pm 

Tough one. I think I will pick Immolation for their larger body of work, but Onward to Golgotha is the best album from either band.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:36 pm 

12 to 6... I fucking knew it! Incantation do deserve more though. Anyway, I voted for Immolation. I saw them live this very night and needless to say, they totally crushed. Oh and Marduk headlined or something. They were alright too I guess. Fucking Immolation though! I best like my death metal fast, twisted and furious, yet melodically competent. Incantation are brilliant in a different way, but my vote is clear.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
Tough one. I think I will pick Immolation for their larger body of work, but Onward to Golgotha is the best album from either band.

Exactly what this guy said, though I kind of impulsively chose Incantation instead...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 pm 

Even though both bands got their own unique take on DM, I'd go with Immolation unpredictable guitar-riffs/drum work (especially on DoP and CtaWB). Though I'm not taking anything away from Incantation's bludgeoning guitar-tone and pretty much developing a musically atmospheric Hell on OtG and MToN.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm 

I love both bands, I think I'd go for Incantation because the first three albums are better than any of Immolation's (great) albums, and I don't like Immo's middle period much. Immo is probably putting out a higher standard right now though, although Incant have never been anything below very good.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 pm 

I really hope these polls don't become a trend on here. Facebook is littered with these pointless games, and I for one really don't want this to be another Facebook metal page. X vs Y threads were always disapproved here, and I don't see how polls are any different.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 pm 

Huh, out of these two bands the only release I'm very familiar with is Incantation's debut, which I love. Guess I can't vote. I should check out more from each.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:30 pm 

Seeing as how I have nearly everything by Immolation (including Steppng On Angels) and nothing by Incantation as yet, I'm locking in 'A'.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 pm 

Stop making these polls where it's hard to choose between the two options, you jerk.

I've always found it really interesting that both bands are different styles, yet they both leave the same overall impression once you reach the end of a song/album.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm 

Immolation, for sure. I don't want to start a flame war because of my musical preference, but I find Incantation's lesser known albums to be a bit monotonous at times! Also, even though I am looking forward to the new Incantation record, Immolation's I expect to be one of my favourite albums of theirs, as I felt they got back to their "evil" side with their last ep, Providence. That being said, Onward to Golgotha was one of the first albums that got me into the genre, so they definitely have some of the best dm records ever made going for them. Rob Vigna is definitely one of my favourite guitarists ever though. It's really hard to say! Both amazing bands from NY/ The States.

Last edited by SingLoco on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 pm 

Close to a world below is on par with Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne combined, though it is a pain in the ass to choose but Immolation for me. Vigna is one of the best guitarists in death metal and very few have ever replicated his style, Incantation are the masters of darkme death metal bar none, but lack the powerful songwriting that defines all of Immolation post-Here in after. Both are among the best bands in death metal, and its annoying to have to pick one over the other.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm 

Incantation all the way.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 pm 

I gotta vote for Immolation. I enjoy a much bigger part of their catalogue, not to mention that I'm always in the mood for some of their music, while Incantation receive more of an occasional listen. They're still great, but don't hook me up nearly as much as Vigna's band.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 pm 

Went with Immolation. Both bands are amazing, but I enjoy Immolation just a little but more. 'Dawn of Possession' (song) has that neck-snapping last part, 'Here in After' is twisted and wicked, and 'Close to a World Below' is just an amazing death metal album. But again, both bands are total winners, and Incantation knocked it out of the park with 'Diabolical Conquest' and 'Onward to Golgotha'.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 am 

Immolation are an undeniably great death metal band. Very unique, certainly, with Vigna's ungodly riffing and Dolan's consistently deep yet intelligible growls. They have some truly classic albums in the genre and are an essential band.

However, Incantation, to me, are the definitive death metal band. Every thing the band does is what death metal should be: crushing, brutal, and fucking evil. The faster and more midpaced sections are noteworthy alone, but when the band goes into dirge country is when they truly shine. John just writes the best kind of riffs. Maybe their catalog isn't as consistent as Immolation's, but I'll be damned if there's a better death metal album than Onward to Golgotha.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 am 

Far too difficult to choose. Both bands are really cool.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 am 

theposega wrote:
However, Incantation, to me, are the definitive death metal band. Every thing the band does is what death metal should be: crushing, brutal, and fucking evil. The faster and more midpaced sections are noteworthy alone, but when the band goes into dirge country is when they truly shine. John just writes the best kind of riffs. Maybe their catalog isn't as consistent as Immolation's, but I'll be damned if there's a better death metal album than Onward to Golgotha.

Well put. Onward to Golgotha is one of the few albums I own :D

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:42 am 

Incantation. The first two albums alone cement their quality for me. I love the blasty fast parts with the solos, combined with the doomy sections. And the mood of total blasphemy and evil is just perfect.

(also, Jap Sabbat destroys UK Sabbat)

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 am 

Both bands suck major ass...

GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:25 am 

One of the toughest decisions I have ever done in my life.. but I went with Incantation. Love em both equally though! 2 of my favourites death metal bands.

amitoz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:29 am 

unfair poll :( but have to go with immolation, every single song on every single album has value. absolutely amazing live too.

Line 6 Spider 4

http://www.last.fm/user/amitoj84

"died for me well too bad i dont believe"

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:29 am 

Incantation. Both bands have unbelievably awesome releases, but I heavily favour Incantation's recent stuff to Immolation's.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 am 

I'm completely unable to decide. They are such different bands that cater for entirely different needs. I generally listen to Immolation more, and perhaps I do enjoy the music more.

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Incantation. Both bands have unbelievably awesome releases, but I heavily favour Incantation's recent stuff to Immolation's.

What recent Incantation stuff? Surely you realise that Primordial Domination and Decimate Christendom were released around the same time as Harnessing Ruin.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 am 

I love both bands, but in the long run Immolation tops Incantation without much dispute for me. For one, their distinct style is their own, and though Incantation are unique too it's not in the same way.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 am 

Of course it's not an easy choice, but Incantation is my fav from the two. While I love both bands, Incantation's crawling crushingness and oppressive atmosphere are more of my liking. Also, Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne of Nazarene are untouchable milestones of death metal which not even Dawn of Possession can stand against them.

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:19 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
Incantation is exactly how I like my death metal - slow, menacing, and evil. Like the soundtrack of a primordial abomination rising out of the abyss and casting the world in darkness.

Yeah, this. Incantation all the way.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am 

Immolation all the way.

More diverse catalog, better sense of flow within the music and especially, a far better live band.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 am 

Oh dear, so this poll actually happened. What now?
Both bands are behemoths when it comes to talent and musicianship, so I'm going to have to make a decision based on stupid little nitpicking (e.g. Incantation never released a production flop like "Failures for Gods").
I think I'll go with Incantation. Their crushing style just has a heavier impact on me, they capture evil in music in ways no one else can. This is really really hard for me to say, but I think I'd take "Diabolical Conquest" and "Onward..." over "CTAWB" and "Unholy Cult" any day. Incantation wins for me, but by very very little.
(P.S. I am one of those that loved "Majsty and Decay")

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm 

As much as I love both, I'd have to give the slight edge to Immolation. More consistent throughout the years and I've always preferred their more aggressive approach as opposed to Incantation's dirty, atmospheric style. Also, Ross Dolan's vocals are just absolutely fucking awesome.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:51 pm 

Can I choose the option "both bands are pretty damn good but I don't find myself listening to them all that much because there is such a thing as Vader"?

Anyway, if I have make a choice..... Immolation.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:52 pm 

My vote goes to Immolation, I seem to enjoy them a bit more.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 pm 

Immolation, no contest. Everything about Incantation just rubs me the wrong way.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:30 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
Shadoeking wrote:

Exactly what this guy said, though I kind of impulsively chose Incantation instead...

Yup.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next