Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm 

I merged the new "general" thread with this older (but not quite old) thread, discuss the band and the new album here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:03 pm 

They just released another track "We All Rage In Gold":
http://noisey.vice.com/read/stream-the- ... ge-in-gold

It's pretty cool, the vocals are a bit, well, different, but still good I think. They keyboard is really cool, doing more than just background ambiance. I know its coming out in just under a month, but damn I wish it would come out sooner. My predictions are that it will be my album of the year.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm 

Wow, what a great song! And I agree the vocals were a bit different at some parts than people have used to hear from Neurosis, but I liked them. I'm sure this will my top album of 2012 alongside the new Converge album.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:48 pm 

Even better than 'At The Well'... The keyboard melody over the acoustic part is a little weird, but the rest of the song is great!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:08 pm 

693 wrote:
Even better than 'At The Well'... The keyboard melody over the acoustic part is a little weird, but the rest of the song is great!

Honestly man, that was one of my favourite parts. It sounded real exotic and I can't recall another song that had a part like that, and I've heard all their albums quite a few times.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm 

I said it was weird, musically. As in unusual. It will probably grow on me after a few more listens. Think I will really dig this song. :)

I like how the synth in the intro just floats around the riff!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm 

For whoever doesn't mind spoilers here's an early review of the album with an in-depth examination of each song:
http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/09/2 ... ay-review/

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 pm 

Can't wait for this shit. I would have predicted album of the year even beforehand, but after hearing the 2 songs, I'm more than sold. Masterful as always.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
For whoever doesn't mind spoilers here's an early review of the album with an in-depth examination of each song:
http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/09/2 ... ay-review/

Nice, but I don't think it actually spoiled anything. Feeling that I am really anxious to hear this album. But I am trying to not have to high of expectations as I fear I might expect a little to much.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 pm 

Anyone that's heard the album in full, what do you think? Does it live up to your expectations?

Edit: Wow, "My Heart For Deliverance" is just a monster of melodies. Instant classic for me.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Anyone that's heard the album in full, what do you think? Does it live up to your expectations?

Edit: Wow, "My Heart For Deliverance" is just a monster of melodies. Instant classic for me.

Yes it does... is a more melodic and calmer album like Eye of Every Storm instead of the heavy riffing style of Given to the Rising, but there are moments when it goes very violent ("All is found... in time" for example and that dissonant/tribal/whatever outburst it has at the end). Another amazing ouput... too bad it ends too quickly!

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm 

I just found out that the album will have a limited edition. Anyone knows what does it contain?

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
I just found out that the album will have a limited edition. Anyone knows what does it contain?

It says this on the Neurot webstore:

"Limited-edition CD version is packaged in a Stoughton chipboard gatefold CD jacket. There is no difference in the CD audio between standard and limited versions."

It is annoying that the vinyl won't be on sale till late 2012/early 2013.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm 

There's also a t-shirt & CD combo, in limited or standard.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:41 pm 

The limited edition CD version also has a 16-page booklet according to the record shop I ordered it from.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:19 am 

How's the album sounding? Don't want to listen to it till I get it in the post. All Rage In Gold gew on me after a few listens. I've seen mixed views on the album in the last.fm shoutbox and on forums,

Bit worried.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 am 

Most of the compaints I read about seem to be people wanting another "Through Silver In Blood", and they are disappointed that the new one isn't as heavy as that.

I'll say this, the new album has a LOT of melody. And it's awesome. And the first track, "All Rage In Gold", is the weakest off the album for me, and I love that song too.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 pm 

I really like this album. This is seriously the only Neurosis album I've heard that I've liked beyond select tracks, it's far more interesting than their usual sort of thing, much more going on compared to the dreary sludge of the earlier works, or more ambient tribalism of later ones, this is a nice mix of everything with as MARSDUDE said, a lot of melody. Bleeding the Pigs is the only song that bored me, so, way to go Neurosis.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:08 am 

Weird, I thought Bleeding the Pigs was one of the more interesting tracks. The album is sounding great so far, which is to be expected from these guys. The songwriting seems more accessible for sure. I'm really digging the clean singing on this one. This needs some time to sink in, but right away I can tell it's great.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:16 am 

Yeah well as I said I don't like what Neurosis has gotten popular doing, that song is the most in line with the last album from my vague recollection of it.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 pm 

Not their best but not a bad album either. I would've liked more faster and heavier parts in the songs but still I don't see any bad or boring song in the album. The album is very well written and has a great atmosphere. It did not blew me away but it didn't disappoint me either

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm 

I got my pre-order yesterday, and I must say I'm really digging this. I don't know if it's their best, but man I think it's close.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:31 am 

Pretty good album. Their weakness was always not much going on too often resulting in me tuning out, and that still happens here but there are some magnificent bits to make it worthwhile. I've found that cranking it loud helps. Would love to see what they can do live.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 am 

Well new Neurosis then. I have to say that after all the talk about some slight return I'm kind of surprised on how mellow the new album is, but in all honesty I really shouldn't be. The band has always been pushing forward instead of backwards or sideways so it's only bound to go in this direction. The album seems to have a much more lighthearted feel, a more subtle and gentle atmosphere that's not nearly as oppressive as they were until a recent past. I think that much of what Scott and Steve have been doing solo has crept in and turned this into a more solemn record that's still very evocative of landscapes, but when hearing it I can't think about nuclear fallout as before. Instead I have a vivid image of the Grand Canyon on sunset while an old man is contemplating it in sheer serenity while smoking his pipe. I don't know why that image arises in me but that's what grows in my brain when I listen to the album, a sense of serenity and growth, maybe fullness in a sense.

With that being said, is this the last Neurosis album? It does have a fabric that could indicate such a feeling, a closing of a circle so to speak. On the other hand how many times have we said that they couldn't push it any further and they have? The question remains.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:07 pm 

androdion wrote:
Well new Neurosis then. I have to say that after all the talk about some slight return I'm kind of surprised on how mellow the new album is, but in all honesty I really shouldn't be. The band has always been pushing forward instead of backwards or sideways so it's only bound to go in this direction. The album seems to have a much more lighthearted feel, a more subtle and gentle atmosphere that's not nearly as oppressive as they were until a recent past. I think that much of what Scott and Steve have been doing solo has crept in and turned this into a more solemn record that's still very evocative of landscapes, but when hearing it I can't think about nuclear fallout as before. Instead I have a vivid image of the Grand Canyon on sunset while an old man is contemplating it in sheer serenity while smoking his pipe. I don't know why that image arises in me but that's what grows in my brain when I listen to the album, a sense of serenity and growth, maybe fullness in a sense.

With that being said, is this the last Neurosis album? It does have a fabric that could indicate such a feeling, a closing of a circle so to speak. On the other hand how many times have we said that they couldn't push it any further and they have? The question remains.

Yes, I definitely agree that Steve and Scott's solo material has had a huge influence on this release. I definitely detect a subtle Americana vibe. This shouldn't come as a surprise as they are huge fans of old country. While this album is generally more mellow, it is crushing when it needs to be. I remember hearing in interviews that they felt their biggest strength was jamming on a huge riff and they wanted to explore different avenues.

Unless Steve or Scott dies or something, I highly doubt this will be the end of Neurosis. In interviews they have said that they consider Neurosis a lifelong commitment. They have also said that they want to speed up how fast the next album gets put out, so it doesn't look like they are calling it quits. I get what you mean, though.

Does anyone else think it's cool they used samples in this record? They haven't done that since Enemy of the Sun.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 pm 

The use of samples is indeed cool, and yes it's been a while. I think they complement the music and give more depth and texture to the layers of sound they use. I still have to fully absorb the entire album but my impression on first listens was good. I don't think this is an album that's going to be on the list of Neurosis' best but it does have an immense quality level as they've accustomed us to. I also think that this may be an easier gateway into the band than any other album they've made before, which in a way is great because it can bring more people into Neurosis' turf.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm 

androdion wrote:
The use of samples is indeed cool, and yes it's been a while. I think they complement the music and give more depth and texture to the layers of sound they use. I still have to fully absorb the entire album but my impression on first listens was good. I don't think this is an album that's going to be on the list of Neurosis' best but it does have an immense quality level as they've accustomed us to. I also think that this may be an easier gateway into the band than any other album they've made before, which in a way is great because it can bring more people into Neurosis' turf.

I'm happy they bought back samples, use to love those on the old Neurosis albums. I definitely believe that this would be a perfect gateway album.

Loving the album. Glad I bought the t-shirt as well!

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Does anyone else think it's cool they used samples in this record? They haven't done that since Enemy of the Sun.

There are quite a bit of samples on Through Silver in Blood. I agree though that it's good to hear them again.

Like all Neurosis albums, this one occupies a certain mood. I can't ever really just "put on" a Neurosis record; I have to be in a pretty specific mood. Luckily, Honor Found in Decay hits exactly what I'm in the mood for right now. Really awesome piece of music.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

Yeah I was just listening to TSiB yesterday and realized I made a mistake when I said they haven't done it since Enemy of the Sun. Rehumanize is basically just samples backed by dark ambiance.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 pm 

They also used samples on the Sovereign EP.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm 

I think that EP is the only Neurosis release (excluding live albums) I haven't listened to. I've heard it was a bit sub-par in comparison to their albums.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:30 pm 

It's pretty awesome, actually. The title track alone is worth the purchase/listen, I'd say.

A few of the songs are reworkings of Times Of Grace and A Sun That Never Sets songs, so it plays a nice role as an intermediary-companion piece to those two albums.

All in all, I think it does a pretty good job at emulating the ebb and flow of a full-length Neurosis album, but in a nice compact 39 minute EP.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm 

Yeah that EP is really good.

Another comment on the new one, I actually found it to be much less mellow than I was expecting after reading comments from people here. I also think it is very much the next logical step forward. Really digging it, probably my top from 2012.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:58 pm 

I personally think that EP is shit compared to their other work, and best avoided if you're not a completist!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:10 pm 

Ribos wrote:
You know, honestly, I've tried. I've tried listening to Neurosis. Hell, I own both The Eye Of Every Storm and Through Silver In Blood. But I just don't like this band. I don't hear the experimentation everyone raves about. There are occasionally interesting moments but for the most part, it's just painfully boring, slow, dull, and trying-way-too-hard-to-be-emotional metal of a nondescript variety.

And yet, this band is beloved by most metalheads I know, both IRL and online. What is it about this band that makes everyone's panties moist? I've tried reading the reviews, but I'm not even sure I'm listening to the same albums they are. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Someone, please show me how to do Neurosis right so I can stop feeling like such a loser!

Neurosis isn't the type of band you can just sit down and listen to in order to hear them. You really have to just put the record on, lie back, close your eyes and relax as you listen to it. Let the music immerse you. I know it takes a while for their songs to get into it sometimes but perseverance is the key. They really like to build their songs up to a climax, and then either break it down (not breakdown, break it down in intensity) or go out with a bang, but it's the journey that leads up to that bang that makes it all the more special. In that way it's kind of like listening to classical music because the same compositional ideas of building a song and bringing it down are very similar. The song lengths can also be a bit tiring, but as you get used to them you enjoy them much more, and the repetitiveness of their songs will start to be easier on the ears, and it'll start to click that they like to play these parts for a long time because of how strong they actually are; they milk them for what they're worth, but it won't be apparent at first because of how they write their songs. It takes a while for their hooks to sink in, but once they're in they're in deep, and you can't really pull them out. But for that to happen you have to really give it your time, and you have to let it immerse you; you have to give in to it. It's not the type of thing you play in the background at a party, for example.

That being said, this new album is fucking rad. Why hasn't anyone reviewed it yet?

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

Yeah, I remember the first time I heard them, I didn't really get it. I'm not sure what it was, but some time later, Through Silver in Blood clicked with me big time, and now I consider them to be probably my all time favorite band. And did I mention the new one is awesome? I don't know that I have any tips, other than, maybe going back to them at some point in the future. That's worked for me several times with bands, actually.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:18 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
That being said, this new album is fucking rad. Why hasn't anyone reviewed it yet?

I assume it's probably for the same reason someone like me hasn't reviewed Souls At Zero yet - I can't do it justice.

(or laziness)
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 pm 

Being unable to do justice hasn't really prevented many people from reviewing. Neurosis probably isn't at the top of their popularity. It has been five years since the last album, and the post-metal boom is dying - even though grouping Neurosis with said movement is unfair in terms of music, the fact that their listenership consisted in a very large part of post-metallers is undeniable. Their influence to bands like Isis and Cult of Luna is considerable.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 pm 

All things considered Neurosis isn't one of those bands with 15+ reviews, hell not even 10+, here on the Archives. I for one find that there are bands to which I can't make justice, i.e. separate myself from the gushing fanboy inside and just review the damn thing. I can't, for instance, find the momentum to review albums made by Gorguts or Arcturus. I mean, every time I try I end up with nothing. I assume this feeling gets "bigger" with Neurosis as they're a band that gets much more under the skin and is more emotional than those cited before. I'd probably be able to review COL or Isis, but Neurosis? I think I wouldn't.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I assume it's probably for the same reason someone like me hasn't reviewed Souls At Zero yet - I can't do it justice.

(or laziness)

I've had the same thing with Souls at Zero, it's one of my favourite albums of all time and I want the review to be really good and I want to really get in depth so I've been putting off reviewing the album (and therefore their discography since I'm going to do them chronologically). That said, you should get around to it, that album deserves more reviews than it has.

I get what Androdion is saying about reviewing them. When I finally get around to reviewing all their albums, I'll probably come off as a fan boy. I consider Souls at Zero, Through Silver in Blood, A Sun that Never Sets and The Eye of Every Storm to all be just about perfect. I'd give all their post hardcore punk albums in the 90 ranges, in fact the only one I think I'd put bellow 95 is Times of Grace (and possibly Enemy of the Sun). For me, their pretty much the only metal band that has retained an extremely high level of quality over that long a span while always moving forward.

Also, I agree that someone should review the new album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next