Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm 

Rage are good, but yeah, their albums are all kind of overlong, except their early stuff. They have so many songs in their library, it can get a bit overwhelming. I got Strings to a Web, it's good, it's definitely a talented band, albeit hard to get into. The Missing Link and Perfect Man are good starting points.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:55 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
How'd you liked the guys I told you about, Empyreal?

I was so freaked out when that pop up came up on my homepage screen that I didn't check it out yet.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 am 

Thanks to whomever recommend Realm to that one user, fucking hell that band is intense and still can remain musically cohesive. They are like Holy Terror if Holy Terror ever progressed to a third album.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm 

I'm looking for something like Cirith Ungol's King of the Dead instrumentally, but with more standard heavy metal vocals. Musically, heavy metal with excellent, tasteful riffing, a touch of epicness (it shouldn't be excessively bombastic/cheesy), and if the lyrical themes are interesting, even better. It's not that I don't like Tim Baker, but I'm looking for similar stuff with a more traditional approach to vocals. Production must absolutely not be overdone/excessively polished!

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

Bands like After Forever would be so much better if they dropped the bad harsh growls, faux operatic vocals and pointless symphonics. Floor Jansen for example has a great "rock" voice and it'd be great to see hear her in something more straightforward.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for something like Cirith Ungol's King of the Dead instrumentally, but with more standard heavy metal vocals. Musically, heavy metal with excellent, tasteful riffing, a touch of epicness (it shouldn't be excessively bombastic/cheesy), and if the lyrical themes are interesting, even better. It's not that I don't like Tim Baker, but I'm looking for similar stuff with a more traditional approach to vocals. Production must absolutely not be overdone/excessively polished!

I know I've been promoting them a lot lately, but Skullview definitely fit the bill here, especially the debut. And how about Cauldron Born's debut? I get a similar feeling when listening to the two; neither have completely standard vocals, but much closer than Tim Baker, for sure.

I found a rip of Oblivion's "Rebirth" at strappado the other day, and I've been blasting that thing pretty often. Damn excellent stuff, top-of-the-line demo-only band. Probably the best demo-only USPM out there, along with the mighty Enchanter. If only they had done more.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:24 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Bands like After Forever would be so much better if they dropped the bad harsh growls, faux operatic vocals and pointless symphonics.

First one, maybe. The other two are awesome and you know it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 pm 

After Forever's Remagine is basically what you said, Wayward, though it's got like one or two songs with growls. I don't think the growls are bad though...the self titled is also very much a straightforward and hook-filled album. Good stuff. Their earlier stuff doesn't really do it for me.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
After Forever's Remagine is basically what you said, Wayward, though it's got like one or two songs with growls. I don't think the growls are bad though...the self titled is also very much a straightforward and hook-filled album. Good stuff. Their earlier stuff doesn't really do it for me.

I actually quite like After Forever's material, especially their later material without Mark Jansen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 pm 

They're one of my favorite female fronted bands around. They're really dense and hard to get into though, despite the poppiness of some songs. They have a rather erudite and layered sound, especially on Remagine.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
They're one of my favorite female fronted bands around. They're really dense and hard to get into though, despite the poppiness of some songs. They have a rather erudite and layered sound, especially on Remagine.

Really, aside from Prison of Desire sounding like a lame Epica B-side, the only problem I've ever had with After Forever is the really awkward and poorly-acted spoken scenes on Invisible Circles. They tarnish what is otherwise a very enjoyable album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 am 

Remagine is really the only AF I can stand to listen to nowadays. Catchy PM riffs with some excellent vocals (obviously) - standout tracks are "Boundaries are Open", "Free of Doubt", and "Only Everything". Unfortunately, I paid a hefty price for an original copy of Decipher, and now that I want to sell it I found out that they finally reprinted it and the original isn't worth nearly as much. There are a couple of good songs on that album though, I remember "Intrinsic" and "The Key" being decent stuff. And at least Mark Jansen can growl - the growler on Remagine is one of the most painful things I've had to listen to. I'm not really a fan of any of their other albums. Floor is one of the best female vocalists in PM though, if not the best.

I thought Wyvern (Ita)'s debut would be good after hearing the fantastic title track, but it turned out to be the only good song on the album. Meh. I wish there were still rips of Moon of Steel's debut, Battle Ram's demo, or the first two Glory Hunter demos floating around on the internet, I've had a craving for some good Italian shit. If anyone has those, hit me up with a PM. :)

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 pm 

Fuuuuck, Wolf's Edge Of The World still slays me every time I listen to it. Any other heavy metal out there with such superb atmospherics?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:20 am 

I'm looking for some 90s power metal in the vein of early Helloween and the like. Something that does have that 90s euro pm sound but is still very much riff-based and shows the speed metal roots. I'm thinking something like Abraxas - The Liaison here. I'm already familiar with Heavens Gate, Lightmare, Seventh Avenue, Rage, Not Fragile, Chroming Rose and several others perhaps more 80s sounding german 90s power metal bands but keep them names coming. Mind you that stuff like Stratovarius and the like is not what I'm looking for (even though I really like the first few Sonata Arctica albums) and bands like Scanner are slightly too "80s" for this particular sound I'm after now.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:51 am 

New Tad Morose song played live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41TP9egqoU

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:33 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
I'm looking for some 90s power metal in the vein of early Helloween and the like. Something that does have that 90s euro pm sound but is still very much riff-based and shows the speed metal roots. I'm thinking something like Abraxas - The Liaison here. I'm already familiar with Heavens Gate, Lightmare, Seventh Avenue, Rage, Not Fragile, Chroming Rose and several others perhaps more 80s sounding german 90s power metal bands but keep them names coming. Mind you that stuff like Stratovarius and the like is not what I'm looking for (even though I really like the first few Sonata Arctica albums) and bands like Scanner are slightly too "80s" for this particular sound I'm after now.

You're missing the big one: Gamma Ray.

Funnily enough, Seventh Avenue is pretty obviously a Gamma Ray worship band.

optimusjamie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 am 

Looking for some power metal in a similar vein to 90s Blind Guardian and early Rhapsody of Fire, or possibly like Manowar.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 pm 

Does anyone have any recommendations for albums similar to stuff by Helstar, old Blind Guardian, Agent Steel, Nevermore, Shatter Messiah, and Angel Dust?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm 

colin040 wrote:
New Tad Morose song played live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41TP9egqoU

Sounds wicked, and even more aggressive than usual Tad Morose. Also, I gotta say I'm intrigued by the new singer. He, in a way, retains some of Urban Breed's essence, while still being definitely different (I also liked the couple of death growls he added). If this means a new album's on the way, then I'm all for it.

And yes, I finally got hooked on Tad Morose.
BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for albums similar to stuff by Helstar, old Blind Guardian, Agent Steel, Nevermore, Shatter Messiah, and Angel Dust?

Perhaps you'll enjoy The Burden of God by the French Nightmare? It's pretty cool dark, riffy power metal with somewhat Dio-esque vocals. Also, I'm right now listening to their Cosmovision album, which I also heartily recommend.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 pm 

I came across a new epic heavy metal band from Texas (in Shadow Kingdom's distro) called Graven Rite, and they're pretty fucking great. I love stuff like this so much. Some of you will dig it, I'm sure: http://gravenrite.bandcamp.com/

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 pm 

Good find, they rock pretty hard in the vein of Borrowed Time. Will be keeping an eye on them for sure.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm 

Borrowed Time's music is cool. The production on their stuff is goofy though. Sounds like they put a lot of effort into sounding dated.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 pm 

However much effort it took I'm glad they did it. One of my favorite sounds, the demo is claustrophobic and the 7" is almost airy.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 pm 

I just want to say Rawhead Rexx are amazing. I've been listening to them for about 6 years now but hadn't had the time really since 08. So today I was reminded of them and have been cranking the debut and 2nd release all day in my hotel room loudly I may add. I travel with a pair Bowers & Wilkins so there loud and fortunately no guests have complained yet.
So I was wondering what the Archives think of the Swiss gods.
If you don't know who they are I highly suggest you seek them out as soon as possible!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
You're missing the big one: Gamma Ray.

Funnily enough, Seventh Avenue is pretty obviously a Gamma Ray worship band.

I know the band ofcourse but cannot get into them. I like about every third of Land of the Free but there's something about the lyrics and the feel of the music that is off-putting for me. It's like Kai Hansen is doing exactly what his fans are expecting of him without really expressing anything. The music feels too self-informed to me. Also it gets too "anthemic" to my likes very often.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 am 

hunglikemouse wrote:
I just want to say Rawhead Rexx are amazing. I've been listening to them for about 6 years now but hadn't had the time really since 08. So today I was reminded of them and have been cranking the debut and 2nd release all day in my hotel room loudly I may add. I travel with a pair Bowers & Wilkins so there loud and fortunately no guests have complained yet.
So I was wondering what the Archives think of the Swiss gods.
If you don't know who they are I highly suggest you seek them out as soon as possible!

I guess I'll take a listen since it's so highly recommended but I do have some serious problems with listening to a band named Rawhead Rexx :lol:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:00 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Fuuuuck, Wolf's Edge Of The World still slays me every time I listen to it. Any other heavy metal out there with such superb atmospherics?
I've frequently touted this as one of the best NWOBHM LPs in existence. It's just so great: melodic, emotive, classic NWOBHM style. Love it. I believe i verbally fellated it in an review some time ago. Not sure what you're after, but some similar-ish NWOBHM might include Bronz or Trespass? Perhaps Marquis de Sade?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 am 

I've always wanted to like that Wolf album more because of some cool lyrical themes but I just don't find the band able to keep my interest for a full song let alone a full album. Maybe it's a bit too simple or light-weight for my taste. As for melodic, emotive and relatively light NWOBHM I rather go for Ritual myself.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:28 am 

For some reason it instantly clicked with me and has remained a favourite. I guess some people don't do the more 70s rock based, melodic type NWOBHM. I mean i enjoy the speedier, more aggressive side but dig those really traditional sounding bands that have class at what they do. Jameson Raid is another decent melodic NWOBHM band. Not sure if i'm familiar with that particular Ritual or not.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 am 

I mean this Ritual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkRtticrRfE

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I came across a new epic heavy metal band from Texas (in Shadow Kingdom's distro) called Graven Rite, and they're pretty fucking great. I love stuff like this so much. Some of you will dig it, I'm sure: http://gravenrite.bandcamp.com/

This is rad, and I'll co-sign on being glad they made it sound old, atmosphere is pretty critical to stuff in that vein.

Also seconding Jameson Raid's goodness, "Just as the Dust had Settled" is a pretty sweet record.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I've frequently touted this as one of the best NWOBHM LPs in existence. It's just so great: melodic, emotive, classic NWOBHM style. Love it. I believe i verbally fellated it in an review some time ago. Not sure what you're after, but some similar-ish NWOBHM might include Bronz or Trespass? Perhaps Marquis de Sade?

It is, indeed, a classic. It's such a shame it didn't get them any recognition at the time.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am 

Digital Dictator finally got its futuristic hooks in me. My only conceivable explanation for initial lukewarmness has to be because of the title track leading off things, which is still my least favorite by far. At this point I'm digging every song to some extent, but the whole second half of the album takes on a much darker/more interesting tone for me. Worlds and Machines is so damn good it's silly. I also love the way they do the speedier numbers like RLH and Minute to Kill, they really knew how to work up a sense of dystopian future-urgency.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:12 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
I've always wanted to like that Wolf album more because of some cool lyrical themes but I just don't find the band able to keep my interest for a full song let alone a full album. Maybe it's a bit too simple or light-weight for my taste.

Agreed. Never liked Wolf for much the same reasons.

Wolf on the other hand rock super hard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm 

failsafeman knows what's up. Great tune for Halloween season, too...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:55 pm 

Both Wolfs are awesome, and we'll just leave it at that.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:
I've always wanted to like that Wolf album more because of some cool lyrical themes but I just don't find the band able to keep my interest for a full song let alone a full album. Maybe it's a bit too simple or light-weight for my taste.

Agreed. Never liked Wolf for much the same reasons.

Wolf on the other hand rock super hard.
Empyreal wrote:
failsafeman knows what's up. Great tune for Halloween season, too...

Their songs make me think of ye olde horror films of times gone by (ie, the 80's).

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 pm 

I finally got around to hearing English Dogs (I had avoided them before as I thought they would be rather punkish), and damn, I definitely didn't know what I was missing. Forward into Battle has some of the best riffing I've heard in PM and a fantastic raspy vocalist, along the lines of the guy from Witchgrave. I haven't heard anything about Where Legend Began, but I checked that one out too, and it sounds just as good, if not better! Nerdy fantasy lyrics, very progressive, killer songwriting...where have these guys been all my life?! Excellent stuff, anyway. I guess I'm a bit surprised to hear something this good that I didn't know before. Anyone heard their '90's albums? If so, are they any good? I plan to check them out eventually, but I'm more wary, given how few good 90s PM albums there are.

In a similar vein, how about some good bands with similar vocals to English Dogs and Witchgrave? (I know Venom, Motorhead, and most of their copycats already.)

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 pm 

Their 90s stuff is punk again. The power/thrash disappeared after WLB. It's alright if a bit poppish (namely their 1995 album.)

Here's a song from 1995.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:48 am 

The_Erlking wrote:

Hell yes, this ripts. Haven't heard the band before. I NEED some more obscure NWOBHM now. Any of you guys know some stuff i might not have heard? Haven't been hunting down any NWOBHM for ages, actually.

Forward into Battle and Metalmorphosis are the only two English Dogs i've ever listened to. Very seldom put them on over the last few years. Always a pretty interesting listen though.

We've been over this before, but NWOBHM Wolf > modern Wolf any day.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 624  Next