Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:16 am 

What movies have you guys seen what movies actually stuck with you -

Id have to say the Dark Knight Rises, i thought was horrible, bad endings and horrible plot twists and huge plot holes for shame Nolan ...

anyway i thought Prometheus on the other hand was great and gave the viewer alot to think about as most movies do not

so id prolly pick that as my favorite of the year

what do you guys think?

whats the best movie this year? =)

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 am 

My friend gave a compelling argument after we watched FDR: American Badass! why he thought it was the best film of the year. Personally, however, I'm more leaning towards Prometheus.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 am 

Off the top of my head, my favorites have been Avengers, Dark knight rises, Battleship, and Raid. Unfortunately, there have been more bad than good, namely, Devil Inside and Silent House. Expendables 2 just wasnt as good as it should have been(the chuck norris bullshit didnt help).

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 am 

I thought Prometheus sucked. My favorite was probably TDKR, I wasn't entirely happy with it but it was better than everything else that came out this year.

Also, A Few Best Men was one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a while. It's a 2011 film so it technically shouldn't count, but it was released in the theaters in Greece last month.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am 

this thread made me realize how very few movies I watch (despite working at a place that predominantly sells movies and shit), I don't think I've seen a single movie that's come out this year, they just all seem so forcibly shat out by the big movie companies that no one involved actually cares about writing an interesting or unique storyline anymore... with that being said, that new Argo movie about the Iranian hostage crisis looks kinda interesting, I think it comes out in a few weeks, but I'm contemplating seeing it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 pm 

Hmm...I think this topic should be more specific if you want it to stick around! So, people, if you do contribute, maybe you ought to just stick to why you liked one movie the most, otherwise, all discussion can be moved to the movie thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39103

I hope this doesn't count as mini-modding.

But, that being said, to keep it specific to the one movie I thought was absolutely the best this year, it has to be The Master. It took a subject that could've been messed up extremely easily (the cult, "Scientology" thing, which could have come off as dated and almost slanderous) and managed to turn it into a beautiful film about power dynamics and the relationship between two men who have very different lives, but similar problems. The story was incredibly paced (I disagree with any sentiments that it was "drawn out") and had a wonderful sense of placement (the scenery was incredible, i.e starting the movie off with the sea, the themes of the boat versus the land) as well as imaginative directing.

Plus, unlike all these huge blockbuster/3D joints, it was INCREDIBLY BRIGHT! I could actually see the movie! Hah! Imagine that! A movie where the scenery is highlighted and brightly lit and you can take in the various period pieces and awesome camera angles, as opposed to the dark and gritty trend going on in every single movie these days. It's like Paul T. Anderson actually wanted you to see what was going on and highlight the actors' features and the fact that they are incredibly talented. Seriously, Joaquin Phoenix was terrific, as was Phil Hoffman (honorably mention for Amy Adams). It was a gloriously told story that was at both times woefully intense (the interview scenes, the prison scenes, the ending songs) and joyously funny (Freddy's language, fart jokes, boobs!) without ever coming off as stiff or forced.

Couple all of this with a really great soundtrack, and you've got a hell of a movie.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm 

Nah, I agree, Frog, let's use the Movie Thread.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

rryanhall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm 

Quote:
Off the top of my head, my favorites have been Avengers, Dark knight rises, Battleship, and Raid. Unfortunately, there have been more bad than good, namely, Devil Inside and Silent House. Expendables 2 just wasnt as good as it should have been(the chuck norris bullshit didnt help)

This year is going totally blast me from the movies point view and i may be ask it for me a movies year because of the movies Avengers , One for the Money, Ghost Rider 2, Hunger Games, Wrath of the Titans, Men In Black 3 etc. etc.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:47 pm 

^^ :???: :???: :???:

Eileen Jones deftly outlines why PTA's glacially dull The Master is the most overrated film released so far this year.

And Hard Eight and Punch Drunk Love (hello, sig) are two of my favorite films.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am 

Best movie so far for me is Chronicle. I don't think there's been anything perfect yet (that I've seen...haven't really been up on my 2012 movies lately either), but Chronicle's blend of sci fi and a sort of troubled coming-of-age/family story thing was really striking and quite compelling at times. I liked the more human, personal parts of it better and the main character's arc and subsequent decline, more than the sci fi shit, and the action scenes at the end weren't really as interesting as the development in the first half. But overall I really liked it.

The Hunger Games is the other one. Raw, powerful, massive movie that just pulls you in and keeps you enthralled for the whole 2.5 hours - and the next two books were even better, so I can't wait for the sequels now if they can keep this kind of quality going. A movie so big and epic that you can feel it way down in your bones.

Worst of the year are Silent House, The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus - the first because it was a stupid and vapid waste of time, the latter two for being big ole disappointments, one from a previously amazing director and the other from a director that hasn't really done anything good in many many years...

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Best movie so far for me is Chronicle. I don't think there's been anything perfect yet (that I've seen...haven't really been up on my 2012 movies lately either), but Chronicle's blend of sci fi and a sort of troubled coming-of-age/family story thing was really striking and quite compelling at times. I liked the more human, personal parts of it better and the main character's arc and subsequent decline, more than the sci fi shit, and the action scenes at the end weren't really as interesting as the development in the first half. But overall I really liked it.

The Hunger Games is the other one. Raw, powerful, massive movie that just pulls you in and keeps you enthralled for the whole 2.5 hours - and the next two books were even better, so I can't wait for the sequels now if they can keep this kind of quality going. A movie so big and epic that you can feel it way down in your bones.

Worst of the year are Silent House, The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus - the first because it was a stupid and vapid waste of time, the latter two for being big ole disappointments, one from a previously amazing director and the other from a director that hasn't really done anything good in many many years...

Its nearly laughable how some teens and well, idiots, were screaming and shocked during parts of Silent House, when I nearly fell asleep from it. Same with Devil Inside, except all the "shocking" stuff was done 40 years ago. Im surprised there wasnt a riot at the end.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 am 

Surprisingly it was Moonrise Kingdom. I say that because I'm at best indifferent towards and at worst irritated by Wes Anderson's previous films. By far his best. But I haven't seen many this year. I expect to rate highly the new ones from Haneke and Lanthimos because I enjoyed their previous stuff. Should also be seeing Cosmopolis sometime soon but I'm skeptical about that Pattinson guy being in it, unless his acting has dramatically improved recently. Cronenberg is generally solid though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:50 am 

darkeningday wrote:
^^ :???: :???: :???:

Eileen Jones deftly outlines why PTA's glacially dull The Master is the most overrated film released so far this year.

And Hard Eight and Punch Drunk Love (hello, sig) are two of my favorite films.

Huh....that was a really well done article. I don't know if it quite dismantles my enamoring of the movie, as I saw it then read the article...whereas the other way around may have definitely been a huge blow to it. But, perhaps another watch will be in order.

Also, Punch Drunk Love is quite excellent....probably one of my favorites as well.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Best movies Chronicle and Hunger Games, worst movies TDKR....hmmmm....
Were you one of the people in the movie thread shitting on Aliens?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 am 

:lol: Chronicle was a dope movie, bro.

I actually enjoyed the Hunger Games books on a long-ass bustrip. So, I can see why he digs it. I love Jennifer Lawrence too...so...yeah. But, I didn't think anything of the movie itself.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 pm 

Wasn't punch drunk love a joke title for a non-existent movie in a south park episode? Anyway, Eileen's takedowns are always brutal and the truth. Anyanyway, I'm presumptively declaring Paranormal Activity 4 the best movie of 2012 and Argo the worst movie of 2012.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Best movies Chronicle and Hunger Games, worst movies TDKR....hmmmm....
Were you one of the people in the movie thread shitting on Aliens?

Yup, Aliens wasn't that great and TDKR was a big bloated sell-out - since I constantly praised The Dark Knight for years you know I mean that. That's about what it comes down to, man.

Ridley Scott is pretty suspect anyway...aside from the awesome Blade Runner and Alien, you also have Hannibal, and anyone who makes a movie like that is nobody I'd blindly watch without some skepticism.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ridley Scott is pretty suspect anyway...aside from the awesome Blade Runner and Alien, you also have Hannibal, and anyone who makes a movie like that is nobody I'd blindly watch without some skepticism.

Hannibal is a very strange case. It has some brilliantly suspenseful scenes, but then it has the infamous dumb scenes.

The Italian detective? Awesome.
His encounter with Hannibal at the university? Awesome.
Hannibal creep-talking to Clarice via walky-talky on a carousel? What the fuck.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 pm 

I think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The pacing is just so incredibly bad and uneven, the characters are godawful and the script is pretty much a bunch of cliched shit.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 pm 

TDKR was okay, kinda blue-balled me, but it wasn't horrible...I enjoyed Prometheus, but I'll probably never feel like watching it again. I actually just got back from seeing Looper tonight, that movie was also pretty good aside from two scenes in particular. I can't remember any other movie I saw that came out this year.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 pm 

I liked Prometheus and TDKR, but I don't think either really lived up to their potential. Both films were actually very similar in that they had amazing first halves and then kind of went downhill when it came time for the payoffs to start coming, though I think Prometheus was better in that it left a lot of stuff ambiguous, whereas TDKR was unambiguously lame. I mean c'mon, the ending scene was so hokey; it would've been so much stronger we'd just seen Alfred's expression of surprise and recognition, rather than ham-handedly cutting to Bruce Wayne with Selina Kyle and showing us for sure that he's not dead.

Dredd was actually surprisingly awesome; I'm not really knowledgeable about the comics, but regardless it was an excellent action movie. Simple premise, fantastic and exciting execution. Definitely the best action movie I've seen from the last few years.

For a less mainstream example, I think Beasts of the Southern Wild was excellent. It's the story of a southern Louisiana bayou community as told through the eyes of a 6 year old girl; everyone there is pretty much dirt poor, but they're largely self-sufficient and get on quite well. Unfortunately (probably) due to global warming, there's a huge storm and flood on the way. Prior to its arrival, most of the community pulls up stakes, except for a few holdouts - including the young girl and her alcoholic father, with whom she has a troubled relationship. As you might expect, things go from bad to worse pretty quickly. It's exciting, and the girl never gets irritating - very tough for her age, yet never seems unrealistically adult. It has aspects of magical realism, in that sometimes elements of her imagination bleed over into her reality, but not to the degree of, say, Pan's Labyrinth. Nothing supernatural ever happens. One of the main thrusts of the story is cultural identity, and how it can be very important to people even when it means living in circumstances that would seem awful to others. Anyway, I'd recommend it.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:44 am 

To be honest 2012 has been pretty dull for anything relating cinema.
The only 2012 movie I've seen this year has been Men In Black 3 and even though the 3D effects were cool, the storyline was fair stale.

kaoswar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Off the top of my head, my favorites have been Avengers, Dark knight rises, Battleship, and Raid. Unfortunately, there have been more bad than good, namely, Devil Inside and Silent House. Expendables 2 just wasnt as good as it should have been(the chuck norris bullshit didnt help).

Battleship????? seriously??? this is at the bottom of my worst movie list .... Dark Knight Rises was excellent though

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 am 

When talking about great narrative and characters I'd say it would be Intouchables, Cinematography and effects I'd choose The Dark Knight Rises. However, when talking about the sheer entertainment value, great effects, screenplay and simple fun, my film of the year is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 am 

What is the best looking films of 2012? I love cinematography.

I'm guessing Prometheus and TDKR? Possibly Lawless too.

None of which i've seen yet.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm 

Best looking film I can remember is the new Spider-Man. Damn did that look amazing. So many vivid colors and great, dramatic shots and everything - I'm no expert on cinematography but I really thought that one did a smashing job.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 pm 

Yeah Hunger Games was surprisingly non hateworthy. I mean, yeah, it's an extremely standard deathmatch movie with a pretty ridiculous plot, but it didn't puss out of the kiddy murder as much as expected, and the shaky cam I'd heard so much wasn't THAT horrible, and considering the first two minutes of the film that was a surprise. The film begins with a cut of some old guy eating chicken and the camera seizures like crazy for no reason, later on it's more used so you can completely see how the children get deadified, but always miss out on the actual impact so as to keep the rating down. Not a top film of the year at all, but still, not terrible at all.

I can't really remember exactly what films I've seen this year, I'll need to read up on a list. Nothing listed here particularly impressed me beyond being an enjoyable bit of fun worth 3.5 Stars (Avengers, MIBIII, Chronicle etc)

Edit: I'm putting in my vote for The Grey. Looks great, Neison as always commits fully regardless of the objective ridiculousness of some of his scripting, somewhat interesting and unpredictable unfolding of events, and a genuinely hopeless atmosphere which is unusual for the genre.

On a family friendly front, I also quite enjoyed a New Zealand film called Boy, It's pretty much your standard New-Zealanders-are-cute-and-charming-with-their-silly-accents-and-they-have-fun-but-terrible-fathers movie, but dammit, I find it fun.

Nothing I've seen has been all that great to be totally honest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 pm 

I thought The Grey was OK, pretty solid flick, but got a bit monotonous after a while and really didn't go all the way with either being a psychological character study or a balls-out wolf movie to really have a big impact. I enjoyed it well enough, but it didn't really captivate me and I wouldn't give it higher than say, 4/5 or so. Which is still a pretty good score either way. :p

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 am 

Except that it was completely made up in every imaginable way. Plus, Joe Carnahan just sucks. Period.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 am 

Oh come on now DDay. I'm in complete agreement with you on most movies (save The Master apparently) but that's not a real criticism....accuracy has never been action movies forte.

That's like saying "this movie was bad because mixing that many drugs and alcohol would kill you" or "the Romans didn't talk with English accents" and let that ruin a movie.

That being said, I didn't like The Grey

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:54 am 

kaoswar wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Battleship????? seriously??? this is at the bottom of my worst movie list .... Dark Knight Rises was excellent though

If you skip say, the first 20 minutes, I thought it was an awesome popcorn movie. I didnt watch it for the story. Simply eye/ear candy.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 am 

I didn't have my totally blown by any films this year except for The Raid: Redemption (:drool:). Prometheus and TDKR were pretty cool, but both had their own set of problems.

...That was what I'd planned to say, until I saw Looper today. Holy shit. That movie kicked loads of ass.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I thought The Grey was OK, pretty solid flick, but got a bit monotonous after a while and really didn't go all the way with either being a psychological character study or a balls-out wolf movie to really have a big impact. I enjoyed it well enough, but it didn't really captivate me and I wouldn't give it higher than say, 4/5 or so. Which is still a pretty good score either way. :p

Yeah, 4/5 ish would be as high as it'd go. This year has kinda sucked haha.

Also, no shit DarkeningDay, for fucks sake.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:00 am 

I haven't checked out the big movies of the year yet but so far my fav is Woman In Black. A slow paced psychological horror with beautiful gothic cinematography and a melancholy ending definitely works for me. I was surprised by Daniel Radcliffe's performance. Though he would suck but he actually fitted the role brilliantly.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 am 

I wasn't a huge fan of that movie, but I was hoping it was going to bring back the gothic horror tradition of early 60s movies. Sadly, didn't really happen.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm 

My favorite movie of the year was easily Lawless. I haven't seen Prometheus yet though, but I don't think it will knock Lawless off the top spot for me. That movie was incredible.

Worst movie I saw in the theater? Probably The Dark Knight Rises. It wasn't a bad movie, but it really just wasn't that great. The plot was kind of a mess, Bane felt wasted and under-used, Christian Bale felt like he was phoning his performance in, and there was just a lot of filler.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
I didn't have my totally blown by any films this year except for The Raid: Redemption (:drool:). Prometheus and TDKR were pretty cool, but both had their own set of problems.

...That was what I'd planned to say, until I saw Looper today. Holy shit. That movie kicked loads of ass.

You should check out Dredd. Not as "holy shit" as The Raid, but very similar, and guns.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 am 

I forgot about The Raid. Jesus, it was violence porn. Loved it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:10 am 

The knife fighting scenes in The Raid were the most savage thing I've ever seen in an action movie.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 am 

You guys realize that The Raid: Redemption came out in 2011, right?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next