* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
andersbang wrote:
I'll also mention The Kindly Ones by Littel that fits Markov's request. It's about an SS officer in the Sonderkommandos behind the Wehrmacht lines on the Eastern Front and filled with graphic details both psychological (he has personal issues concerning homosexuality and incest as well as broader psychological issues from the whole, you know, exterminating people thingamajing) and of course a lot of gore, what with him being an SS officer and all. Finally a lot of 'philosofical' thoughts justificating his and the Nazi's work.

AHHHHH. I talked about this book like eight pages ago. One of my absolute favorites, a haunting, beautifully written and engaging story that truly humanizes the Nazis as individuals, instead of a collective group. Ugh, so damn good. The imagery is incredible, the story moves like lightning.

Loved that one.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm 

Another fan!

Yes, it's one of the few modern novels that managed to stick with me past reading, where the scenes would slowly come back when I was thinking alone. Plus, it's an excellent look into how mundane evil things can be, even when Max vomits at the thought of the camps, or cries at the death of a Jewish boy, or that he will never love his sister, he still just allows awful things to happen.

Spoiler: show
Like when he brutally beats and chokes his few-time gay lover in the bathroom and just leave shim in a stall, choking on his own blood

Even if he did it out of self-defense, or out of self-loathing, it shows how truly callous he is to the suffering in the world, and how his position of recording all the deaths in the war has made him stone cold to it.

I'm currently reading Lever's Sade and it's quite fascinating. I'm not a big fan of Sade's books, as they are mostly drivel wank-material for sickos, mixed in with the occasional philosophical statement, but I am absolutely fascinated by him as a man and as a figure for the epitome of Western "freedom" unhinged by God or King. Thus, this excellently written biography is wonderfully intriguing. Even if you hate everything he's written, this book just goes to show how unbearably interesting he is a man.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm 

Hell Yeah! Just today the second novel of the "No Man's World" series calles "The Ironclad Prophecy" arrived... WW1 meets Edgar Rice Burroughs-like scifi. I especially like the cover showing the helmet-mask of a WW1 british tank soldier :D
Book one (Black hand Gang) was a real blast and I have the feeling this one will stand nothing behind!

Quote:
It has been three months since the 13th Battalion of the Pennine Fusiliers vanished from the WW1 battlefield of the Somme and found themselves stranded on an alien world. Since then, their trenches have become the target for vengeful alien attacks. The tank, Ivanhoe, is sent on the trail of Jeffries, the impostor many hold responsible for their plight. Lance Corporal ‘Only’ Atkins and his Black Hang Gang, along with a captured alien Khungarrii are ordered to find him.
While the encampment faces an alien threat, the Black Hand Gang discover an ancient edifice containing a secret that will tear the Battalion apart. As the Pennines fight for their lives against the mounting horrors of No Man’s World, their only hopes for survival – and a way home – lie in the psychotropic fuel-addicted crew of the Ivanhoe and its increasingly insane commander!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm 

Been plowing through the Legend of Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore. Just started book 10. Don't remember enjoying a series this much in a long time and would highly recommend it to any fantasy fans who aren't already familiar.

Also just started The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss which seems like it's going to be great as well.

I'll second the rec on those Deathlands books, Dragunov. Read a few of those a couple years ago and enjoyed them, action packed and easy reads.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm 

@Dragonov:

Ok, here are a few "WW2 meets occult" novels I could recommend to you:

"Bitter Seeds" by Ian Tregillis
Quote:
It’s 1939. The Nazis have supermen, the British have demons, and one perfectly normal man gets caught in between.

Raybould Marsh is a British secret agent in the early days of the Second World War, haunted by something strange he saw on a mission during the Spanish Civil War: a German woman with wires going into her head who looked at him as if she knew him.

When the Nazis start running missions with people who have unnatural abilities—a woman who can turn invisible, a man who can walk through walls, and the woman Marsh saw in Spain who can use her knowledge of the future to twist the present—Marsh is the man who has to face them. He rallies the secret warlocks of Britain to hold the impending invasion at bay. But magic always exacts a price. Eventually, the sacrifice necessary to defeat the enemy will be as terrible as outright loss would be.

the follow-up to Bitter Seeds is also available and called "The Coldest War" btw...

then there's the very, dense, tensioned and gloomy yet also action packed:

"Shadows in the Mist" by Brian Moreland
Quote:
During World War II, Germany’s Hürtgen Forest was a killing field. But there was something worse than the enemy in the mist. An ancient power was waiting to prey upon those who opposed the Third Reich.
Jack Chambers survived the war, but even after all these years, he still has nightmares about Hürtgen—and the unholy horrors he battled there. Now he is determined to reveal the truth behind his platoon’s massacre and entrusts the task to his grandson, Sean. But Sean’s quest sets him in a deadly race against those who wish to bury the truth forever—and those who plan to use it to unleash hell on Earth.

"The Keep" by F. Paul Wilson
Quote:
Thus reads the message received from a Nazi commander stationed in a small castle high in the remote Transylvanian Alps. And when an elite SS extermination squad is dispatched to solve the problem, the men find a something that's both powerful and terrifying. Invisible and silent, the enemy selects one victim per night, leaving the bloodless and mutilated corpses behind to terrify its future victims. Panicked, the Nazis bring in a local expert on folklore--who just happens to be Jewish--to shed some light on the mysterious happenings. And unbeknownst to anyone, there is another visitor on his way--a man who awoke from a nightmare and immediately set out to meet his destiny. The battle has begun: On one side, the ultimate evil created by man, and on the other...the unthinkable, unstoppable, unknowing terror that man has inevitably awakened.

and for a total exploitation check out this hillarious, absurd comic. Not sooo good drawings but a totally insane story :D

http://www.amazon.com/War-The-Undead-Br ... the+undead

Quote:
It's 1945, Hitler is dead and the Nazi army is all but decimated. After a brutal campaign of street-by-street guerilla fighting, the Red army is poised to take control of Berlin. Germany's only hope lies in a secret occult cabal who plans to free Hitler's soul from Hell and use the might and power of the Frankenstein Monster, a werewolf, and Count Dracula to turn the tide of battle.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 pm 

Has anyone else read Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series? I'm almost finished with the first one, and I have to say, the protagonist is one of the most complex and interesting characters I've ever read, period. The juxtaposition between Covenant and the world he enters and quest he adopts is beautiful (in that it's terrible).

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Has anyone else read Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series? I'm almost finished with the first one, and I have to say, the protagonist is one of the most complex and interesting characters I've ever read, period. The juxtaposition between Covenant and the world he enters and quest he adopts is beautiful (in that it's terrible).

I haven't, but I've been interested for about 10 years now, haha. Should I move these books up on my priorities list?

As for what I'm currently reading: Dracula. Rereading, I should say. I've been in a strange mood for vampire stuff lately, so I figured, why not revisit the best? And it is absolutely as good as the first time I read it two years ago.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 pm 

Why the hell can't I write like Gene Wolfe. His use of metaphor and imagery is incredible.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I haven't, but I've been interested for about 10 years now, haha. Should I move these books up on my priorities list?

Yes.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 am 

Just got The Kindly Ones in the mail. I thought I'd give it a try after seeing what you guys said about it. Only 70 pages in, but I'm really liking it. I found the 25 page intro/prologue to be really effective and awesome. Definitely got me wanting to dig in to the story. I read slow as fuck but I'm gonna be tackling this book fairly hard given its girth in an effort not to dwell on it too long, much like I did when reading The Brothers Karamazov. In any case, it seems like its going to be a hard book to put down thus far.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
Hell Yeah! Just today the second novel of the "No Man's World" series calles "The Ironclad Prophecy" arrived... WW1 meets Edgar Rice Burroughs-like scifi. I especially like the cover showing the helmet-mask of a WW1 british tank soldier :D
Book one (Black hand Gang) was a real blast and I have the feeling this one will stand nothing behind!

This sounds interesting. I looked it up further and it's now on my to-buy list. Man dankt.

Currently reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I borrowed the book from a friend, who was very insistent about me reading it. It's solid so far, English humorous urban fantasy, although I'm not really that hooked.

Before that I had finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It's one of those really creative and thought-provoking speculative works that I treasure, not always with the best narrative choices, but compelling from start to finish because of the concepts and mysteries involved. I also like Stephenson's sometimes mischievously facetious style alongside the grand themes, like a less ridiculous and less self-deprecating Zelazny. Gonna have to check out Snow Crash as well.

And even before that were Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, both of which I greatly enjoyed. Obviously for different reasons. This has to suffice for now.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:33 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Just got The Kindly Ones in the mail. I thought I'd give it a try after seeing what you guys said about it. Only 70 pages in, but I'm really liking it. I found the 25 page intro/prologue to be really effective and awesome. Definitely got me wanting to dig in to the story. I read slow as fuck but I'm gonna be tackling this book fairly hard given its girth in an effort not to dwell on it too long, much like I did when reading The Brothers Karamazov. In any case, it seems like its going to be a hard book to put down thus far.

Definitely worth the effort!

I just finished Angela Carter's The Inernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman which was.. weird. Very well written, and I like how she effortlessly creates several totally strange and yet believable societies/worlds just to abandom them again. Many times an author won't 'move away' from her/his creations, here, there were no strings attached. Kind of reminds me of A Voyage To Arcturus, now that I whink about it. But it's still a very, very weird book.

Next up: Some Borges I think.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Why the hell can't I write like Gene Wolfe. His use of metaphor and imagery is incredible.

I've thought the same thing myself. I concluded that I would never be able to no matter how long or hard I tried and decided to never even hope to. It's not fair, but there it is. :) Think you'll pick up Urth of the New Sun after the Book proper? I'm still trying to motivate to get back into Long Sun... not that I don't want to read the damn thing, but I need to, like, go to my job and achieve goals and spend time with my girlfriend, none of which I can reasonably do while reading Gene Wolfe.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 am 

What makes Gene Wolfe especially good is how he's very very good at determining how smart his readers are, providing just enough clues to his puzzles that they're not frustrating, but not so many that they're too easily solved. Hell, if you read The Sorcerer's House, it's all told through letters, and thus necessarily filtered through the perspectives of their writers, and as they are mailed to different people, the writers style themselves differently for each recipient. I nearly missed the entire import of the climax, because by its very nature it's not something the protagonist wants to divulge. I finished it thinking "well, that was kind of anticlimactic," and set the book down. Then the next day I just felt that I owed Gene Wolfe the benefit of the doubt, thought about it, and damned if I didn't realize I'd nearly missed the whole thing. I loved it too, once I got it.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:52 am 

I have to write a 4 page memoir in personal narrative about an event that occurred in my life. I can't.. fucking.. think of anything! I'm seriously about to just start writing a story about being abducted by aliens. It's due in like 30 hours.

Edit:

I fucking did it! 14 pages, about a personal narrative about the morning leading up me me writing the personal narrative! It turned out to be 14 fucking pages! Now I have to type it :grr: What a morning, man. what a morning.

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

I just read 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. God, what an insane novel. It starts out quite differently from what I thought it would be, but the plot revolving the dissapearance of a female character turns absolutley CRAZY when the novel ends. I highly recommend it, honestly, one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. I've always been fascinated with crime novels and crime history (i'm a huge fan of the American TV show 'Cold Case Files') and this novel is totally up to par with that. Crazy crime scenes are awesome.

Now I'm currently reading Harry Turtledove's 'Into the Darkness'. Has anyone else read this? It's this fantasy novel that apparently has something similar to WWII. Honestly, I'm not getting it at all. I've only gone through the first chapter and it's really confusing. Has anyone read it enough to tell me it's worth the 600+ page endevour?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm 

Turtle_Factory wrote:
I just read 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. God, what an insane novel. It starts out quite differently from what I thought it would be, but the plot revolving the dissapearance of a female character turns absolutley CRAZY when the novel ends. I highly recommend it, honestly, one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. I've always been fascinated with crime novels and crime history (i'm a huge fan of the American TV show 'Cold Case Files') and this novel is totally up to par with that. Crazy crime scenes are awesome.

The 2011 US movie was great, too, though it did skimp on telling us what the scandal our main protagonist was involved in at the start was all about.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 pm 

Currently planning on seeing the Swedish version on Netflix, would like to see the US version too now that you mention it.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:19 pm 

The Kindly Ones is blowing my mind so far....like 210 pages in and despite having around 700+ pages left, so much shit has happened. Can't even imagine whats coming next. And yes, I'm updating here mid-read because well, its the reading thread and it doesn't get much action, so fuck it. Plus I'm extremely enthralled with this book thus far and know I'll be reading it for the next 2 weeks at the very least so I need to praise it somewhere. :grin:

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 pm 

DUDES AND DUDETTES! I invite to to read my own personal narrative. I wrote the entire thing this morning, revised and retyped it tonight! I wrote it as a college assignment but I've become so fond of it, I want to share it with the lot of you. I read it like ten times over myself and it's pretty much perfect. Mods, I think it meets your standards of quality :thumbsup:

It's a tale involving heavy metal, anguish and despair, and humor!

Check it out for yourself

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 pm 

Huh, the access is restricted, dude.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Huh, the access is restricted, dude.

weird. I wonder how I can fix that.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 pm 

Is it very long? Because you can put it on pastebin. Also, dropbox, mediafire, etc...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm 

I made the access to anyone who has the link. It should work now.

Try it now

The link in my previous post should work too. Yeah, it all took place this morning. I wrote it, revised and retyped it all today. It's brilliant if I do say so myself.

This story is titled: I couldn’t think of a personal narrative to write, so I waited till the last minute to
write a personal narrative about the morning leading up to me writing the personal narrative

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am 

When is it due again? I'm a writing tutor at my uni, and I noticed some grammatical/whatnot errors in my very brief viewing of it. If you want me to make revision suggestions, I wouldn't mind. I do this shit all the time.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 am 

Nahsil wrote:
When is it due again? I'm a writing tutor at my uni, and I noticed some grammatical/whatnot errors in my very brief viewing of it. If you want me to make revision suggestions, I wouldn't mind. I do this shit all the time.

I appreciate the offer. I proofreaded it this morning, and indented it. It came out much better when I made the final revisions. I feel like we wouldn't want to be going over things twice. So perhaps I'll revise the paper myself in google docs and then if you could look at it, cool. I'll message you when it's fully edited. That is the original unedited version after all. I just attached it to an email from my other computer and sent it to this one. Probably won't be till a while from now, though.

We're just doing revisions, the final draft isn't due for some time.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
The Kindly Ones is blowing my mind so far....like 210 pages in and despite having around 700+ pages left, so much shit has happened. Can't even imagine whats coming next. And yes, I'm updating here mid-read because well, its the reading thread and it doesn't get much action, so fuck it. Plus I'm extremely enthralled with this book thus far and know I'll be reading it for the next 2 weeks at the very least so I need to praise it somewhere. :grin:

I seriously need to read it again, and soon. All this reccommending it and now hearing about it again makes me want to give it a go...

But great you're enjoying it!

Turtle_Factory wrote:
I just read 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. God, what an insane novel. It starts out quite differently from what I thought it would be, but the plot revolving the dissapearance of a female character turns absolutley CRAZY when the novel ends. I highly recommend it, honestly, one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life.

Really? I must say I was rather let down by the series. I read all three novels some years ago when they were all the rage here in Denmark and I was pretty disappointed, especially with the characters (!) and the writing. The story itself is pretty good and the crime elements are decent, but still.

The Swedish movie is quite good though.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:11 pm 

@Metaldiscussor666

Just read your personal narrative. I always enjoy reading about people's daily life so in that case I could be considered a snoop :lol: I kind of like how the narrative takes on a different turn and suddenly focuses on the music you bought, it kind of brings a different element and how the main character (in this case, you) reacts to a situation. Also, sir, pumpkin spice coffee sounds very, very awesome.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

The new Humble Bundle features phantasy/sci-fi eBooks. Recommendations?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

I have never read any of those books, but Neil Gaimann is a pretty good author, I would totally root for that guy if I had to chose any.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am 

I enjoy reading "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. An outstanding piece about modern physics and quantum mechanics as it's intertwined, related to, and compared to Chinese spirituality.

Another great work is "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff. What a helluva way to describe and teach the principals of the Uncarved block and the basic understandings of Taoism without some boring, flat, put it down in 10 minutes for coffee type book. It's a book I have stuck to quite a bit.

No, I am no Chinese philosophy geek, nor do I pretend to be one. Just so happens these two works are Chinese related.

On my recent Star Trek book kick, I am still reading The Undiscovered Country, though I find it interrupts what I know from seeing the movie (I am a huge Trekkie geek and yes, have all the films, VHS and DVD as well as the original series). It does give good insight and depth into the relationships that the Klingons have with eachother that really isn't expressed in the movie (Azetbur and Kevla having an intimate relationship that in no way is expressed int he film). Overall an interesting take on a good story. The novel also goes into some detail regarding Kirk's baby momma Carol Marcus; how she died and her relationship with Kirk.

I think that is about it.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm 

Just read two books for my Canadian literature class:

Sheila Watson - The Double Hook
This was an uhh.. interesting one. It's written in a very obscure way, the text is written almost more like a screenplay than a novel. It's about all this messed up stuff that happens in a town in the B.C. interior. She's obviously a brilliant writer, but it can be a bit hard to follow at times. Overall a worthwhile read, even if some of it was a bit over my head.

Emily Carr - Klee Wick
I only knew her as a painter, but apparently she was a writer too. Really weird woman, my prof was telling us that she used to go out on the beach collecting clay in a really weird baggy dress, smoking while pushing a baby monkey in a shopping cart. This book is about her times visiting the native reserves. Pretty interesting, a bit hard to read at times (some pretty fucked up stuff), her writing technique wasn't amazing or anything, but it got the job done. Not the best book ever, but still fairly interesting.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Ditto on the other response. I'm familiar with a lot of Neil Gaiman's work. I recommend Anansi Boys.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:52 pm 

Re-reading Illuminatus! by Robert Anton Wilson/Robert Sea. First read it when I was 18, didn't fucking dig it - thought it was a pretentious, deliberately confusing piece of shit that paraded its faults as some sort of esoteric 'wisdom'. Read Schrodinger's Cat after that, liked it a bit more, still thought it was a pretentious fusion of Tim Leary worship and Robert Heinlein worship, but good for a few chuckles.

But after reading Prometheus Rising, Cosmic Trigger and Quantum Psychology - I finally get the way this guy works. Those three books had a profound impact on me, and I attribute a lot of positive change in my life to those books. Re-reading Illuminatus! is quite rewarding, and I'm going to re-read Schrodinger's Cat soon, too.

His fiction novels are quite Joyceian, and of course will not be appreciated (or fully understood) by those acclimated to the traditional Victorian novel. I never got Joyce until I read RAW (the aforementioned books as well as various essays), and you won't get RAW until you read his more grounded, "non-fiction" (I suppose) books. Again: Prometheus Rising, the Cosmic Trigger series, etc.

He's slightly mad, but quite brilliant. I've learned a lot from him. And he's mellowed the severe paranoia I've dealt with since I was a child.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm 

I should read his non-fiction. I enjoyed Illuminatus! and I feel like I grasp a decent bit of its message, but there's probably a whole lot I don't understand.

Oh and hail discordia, hail eris etc.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:15 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19942975

Possibly unknown Kafka works in the wings.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:22 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I should read his non-fiction. I enjoyed Illuminatus! and I feel like I grasp a decent bit of its message, but there's probably a whole lot I don't understand.

Oh and hail discordia, hail eris etc.

I'm not quite sure anyone understands Illuminatus! 100% except the authors. At least, I can't imagine it. But what we each get from those books is what's important, I suppose, and for me it has been a revelation.

Hail discordia, indeed. Anyone that reads this is a pope, etc.

On the topic of discordia, I love that, despite his vast intellect, RAW and the lot were not above hilarious gags, slapstick humor and an all-around jolly time. The whole concept of 'discordianism' is hilarious.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm 

Illuminatus! sounds interesting. Fiction or non-fiction though?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

andersbang wrote:
Illuminatus! sounds interesting. Fiction or non-fiction though?

Fiction. Though they cram in a lot of social and psychological commentary.

For me, the story is not as important as the way it is told. It throws a lot of interesting concepts your way, a lot bullshit concepts, a lot of intriguing theory, and a lot of laughable theory. The way your mind must operate outside of it's normal comfort zone to analyze and interpret this information is the rewarding part of the book, for me. It also has so much symbolism and inside-joking going on that I'm pretty sure anyone could read the book five times and still come out with a totally different conclusion each time.

A lot of it is just a good belly laugh, too. I'd still strongly suggest reading at least Prometheus Rising before Illuminatus!, though. PR was Wilson's PHD dissertation.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm 

Read Illuminatus if you have time. I agree with thinking no one understands it. I read back in high school so obviously I didn’t understand any of it. It inspired me to changing my writing style though. Some of my creative writing won awards which was exciting at the time. I tried to go back recently and reread but ultimately didn’t have time to focus enough.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 157  Next