Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DefeatingTheGrave
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 am
Posts: 8
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm 
 

http://defeatingthegraveband.bandcamp.com/

(There's the songs that will be on it)

I already have the cover art for it and a title. Just looking for a small CD release, 50 to 100 copies should suffice. Let me know if y'all can help me out.

Hailz!


Last edited by DefeatingTheGrave on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Lost Wisdom
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Chicagoland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm 
 

I honestly couldn't ever see this getting a release on CD, unless you do it yourself. There is too much reliance on palm-muting, and most of it sounds the same. This doesn't sound like Death Metal at all, sounds more like deathcore, or goregrind. Lots of unoriginal riffs and breakdowns. It just sounds like everything that's been done before. There's no arguing that the vocals were lowered in pitch using some program, it's easy to tell when someone's done that because it just doesn't sound right, and the drum machine is just a headache throughout this. If, somehow, you get this released, kudos to you, but I just cannot see it happening.

Top
 Profile  
DefeatingTheGrave
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 am
Posts: 8
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm 
 

Lost Wisdom wrote:
I honestly couldn't ever see this getting a release on CD, unless you do it yourself. There is too much reliance on palm-muting, and most of it sounds the same. This doesn't sound like Death Metal at all, sounds more like deathcore, or goregrind. Lots of unoriginal riffs and breakdowns. It just sounds like everything that's been done before. There's no arguing that the vocals were lowered in pitch using some program, it's easy to tell when someone's done that because it just doesn't sound right, and the drum machine is just a headache throughout this. If, somehow, you get this released, kudos to you, but I just cannot see it happening.



Okay, I'm not gonna get into a huge debate with you. But I will say this, I didn't intend to make the most inovative or technical music ever, I just aimed to make metal. The last thing I want is to get into the ever-so-popular sub-genre/genre debates that you see everywhere amongst the metal world these days. Deathcore, death metal, polka-folk-pop-reggae metal...I don't care what it's called, because it's music all the same. I respect that you gave your honest opinion, what I don't respect is your tyrant about every aspect of it. With that being said, I think you need to open up a bit and realize that a large percentage of the metal music that is made, is not especially technical nor inovative. I'm not trying to vouch for sympathy nor am I vouching for praise of my material. I'm just saying that you needn't dissect everything on such a maticulous level when, in all reality, the specific sub-genre of the music is completely irrelevant, as is the ideal that all music is going to be 100% true and unique.

Top
 Profile  
Gurut
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:30 am
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm 
 

DefeatingTheGrave wrote:
Lost Wisdom wrote:
I honestly couldn't ever see this getting a release on CD, unless you do it yourself. There is too much reliance on palm-muting, and most of it sounds the same. This doesn't sound like Death Metal at all, sounds more like deathcore, or goregrind. Lots of unoriginal riffs and breakdowns. It just sounds like everything that's been done before. There's no arguing that the vocals were lowered in pitch using some program, it's easy to tell when someone's done that because it just doesn't sound right, and the drum machine is just a headache throughout this. If, somehow, you get this released, kudos to you, but I just cannot see it happening.



Okay, I'm not gonna get into a huge debate with you. But I will say this, I didn't intend to make the most inovative or technical music ever, I just aimed to make metal. The last thing I want is to get into the ever-so-popular sub-genre/genre debates that you see everywhere amongst the metal world these days. Deathcore, death metal, polka-folk-pop-reggae metal...I don't care what it's called, because it's music all the same. I respect that you gave your honest opinion, what I don't respect is your tyrant about every aspect of it. With that being said, I think you need to open up a bit and realize that a large percentage of the metal music that is made, is not especially technical nor inovative. I'm not trying to vouch for sympathy nor am I vouching for praise of my material. I'm just saying that you needn't dissect everything on such a maticulous level when, in all reality, the specific sub-genre of the music is completely irrelevant, as is the ideal that all music is going to be 100% true and unique.


Couldn't have said it better myself :) I actually really like those tunes. Straightforward and super catchy! Good job, bro! Let me know when it comes out

Top
 Profile  
Lost Wisdom
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Chicagoland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm 
 

Quote:
Okay, I'm not gonna get into a huge debate with you. But I will say this, I didn't intend to make the most inovative or technical music ever, I just aimed to make metal. The last thing I want is to get into the ever-so-popular sub-genre/genre debates that you see everywhere amongst the metal world these days. Deathcore, death metal, polka-folk-pop-reggae metal...I don't care what it's called, because it's music all the same. I respect that you gave your honest opinion, what I don't respect is your tyrant about every aspect of it. With that being said, I think you need to open up a bit and realize that a large percentage of the metal music that is made, is not especially technical nor inovative. I'm not trying to vouch for sympathy nor am I vouching for praise of my material. I'm just saying that you needn't dissect everything on such a maticulous level when, in all reality, the specific sub-genre of the music is completely irrelevant, as is the ideal that all music is going to be 100% true and unique.


That's a part of being in music: criticism. If you can't take any criticism, then you shouldn't post music anywhere on the internet, especially here. I never said to make it technical or innovative, I'm just saying, give it a little more diversity. I'm not looking for any type of debates or arguments, I simply stated my opinion about it, and what it sounds like to me. With every artist, there is a potential for something really great to be had, and the same rule applies here, just not with the material you are promoting. And my 'tyrant about every aspect,' again man, that's part of being in the music business. It's just like writing a review, what I said, only just in the forum. Agreed, not all Metal music is technical, and it doesn't have to be, but it seems there are more unoriginal projects forming all around in this age.

Top
 Profile  
DefeatingTheGrave
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 am
Posts: 8
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 pm 
 

Lost Wisdom wrote:
Quote:
Okay, I'm not gonna get into a huge debate with you. But I will say this, I didn't intend to make the most inovative or technical music ever, I just aimed to make metal. The last thing I want is to get into the ever-so-popular sub-genre/genre debates that you see everywhere amongst the metal world these days. Deathcore, death metal, polka-folk-pop-reggae metal...I don't care what it's called, because it's music all the same. I respect that you gave your honest opinion, what I don't respect is your tyrant about every aspect of it. With that being said, I think you need to open up a bit and realize that a large percentage of the metal music that is made, is not especially technical nor inovative. I'm not trying to vouch for sympathy nor am I vouching for praise of my material. I'm just saying that you needn't dissect everything on such a maticulous level when, in all reality, the specific sub-genre of the music is completely irrelevant, as is the ideal that all music is going to be 100% true and unique.


That's a part of being in music: criticism. If you can't take any criticism, then you shouldn't post music anywhere on the internet, especially here. I never said to make it technical or innovative, I'm just saying, give it a little more diversity. I'm not looking for any type of debates or arguments, I simply stated my opinion about it, and what it sounds like to me. With every artist, there is a potential for something really great to be had, and the same rule applies here, just not with the material you are promoting. And my 'tyrant about every aspect,' again man, that's part of being in the music business. It's just like writing a review, what I said, only just in the forum. Agreed, not all Metal music is technical, and it doesn't have to be, but it seems there are more unoriginal projects forming all around in this age.


I am well aware of how things work when you are in music, believe me. I have a local band here in Montana (more of a generic metal band, I'll admit that) and people either love the music or hate it. When it's played on the radio every know and then, we either get comments from people, or we get in inbox full of hate mail. I am well aware of criticism. This comment that you've just made is much more realistic and reasonable, on the other hand, and I do appreciate that. I was not attacking you for your criticism, I was just shocked by the mindset that I perceived from your original post.

Top
 Profile  
Markov
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 473
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 am 
 

Man. It seems like this is the only response from people who simply just do not know HOW to categorize genres.
Let's all forget our periodic tables and biological categorizations and see how far we get with those fields.

Anyway, I'm in the same "mindset" as Lost Wisdom. You need to learn to take criticism well and assess on WHY someone would say what they did. If that does not happen, then the collaboration process (which is probably the entire purpose of this sub-forum) is a total collapse.

P.S. I actually liked some of the riffs in here, but it's lacking some originality. Try to find something unique to your playing style and go from there.
_________________
All of my music for free streaming here.

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Gurut
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:30 am
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am 
 

Markov wrote:
Man. It seems like this is the only response from people who simply just do not know HOW to categorize genres.
Let's all forget our periodic tables and biological categorizations and see how far we get with those fields.

Anyway, I'm in the same "mindset" as Lost Wisdom. You need to learn to take criticism well and assess on WHY someone would say what they did. If that does not happen, then the collaboration process (which is probably the entire purpose of this sub-forum) is a total collapse.

P.S. I actually liked some of the riffs in here, but it's lacking some originality. Try to find something unique to your playing style and go from there.


Defeating The Grave already said that he doesn't mind the criticism, and I can actually believe him from that post that he made in which he clearly described that. I can agree that the music is lacking some originality, but I think that the debate as to whether or not he can take criticism is completely irrelevant and besides the point as that particular element has already been dealt with. I think the only thing that may have sparked the criticism question was his initial response to Lost Wisdom's first post. When I read that post, I kind of agree that Lost Wisdom did portray quite a narrow minded approach and it came across as that it was uncommon for metal music, especially death metal music, to be quite similar in structure and design.

Top
 Profile  
Lost Wisdom
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Chicagoland
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 am 
 

Gurut wrote:
Markov wrote:
Man. It seems like this is the only response from people who simply just do not know HOW to categorize genres.
Let's all forget our periodic tables and biological categorizations and see how far we get with those fields.

Anyway, I'm in the same "mindset" as Lost Wisdom. You need to learn to take criticism well and assess on WHY someone would say what they did. If that does not happen, then the collaboration process (which is probably the entire purpose of this sub-forum) is a total collapse.

P.S. I actually liked some of the riffs in here, but it's lacking some originality. Try to find something unique to your playing style and go from there.


Defeating The Grave already said that he doesn't mind the criticism, and I can actually believe him from that post that he made in which he clearly described that. I can agree that the music is lacking some originality, but I think that the debate as to whether or not he can take criticism is completely irrelevant and besides the point as that particular element has already been dealt with. I think the only thing that may have sparked the criticism question was his initial response to Lost Wisdom's first post. When I read that post, I kind of agree that Lost Wisdom did portray quite a narrow minded approach and it came across as that it was uncommon for metal music, especially death metal music, to be quite similar in structure and design.


Hahaha, if you plan to comment on your own post, under a different account name, you should be sure to not have both of them associated with eachother. It was quite easy enough to go to google, search for 'Defeating The Grave,' find it on facebook, and come to find that you run it, along with 'Gurut', Mr. Wanke.

Image

Top
 Profile  
Markov
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 473
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 am 
 

:lol:
_________________
All of my music for free streaming here.

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
juicebitch
Juice Bitch

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1561
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
 

Hahaha, oh wow. Oh wow. :lol: Best thing I've read all week, this thread.

Good luck looking for a label kid. You'll need it.

Edit: I can't believe I paused my Winterfylleth to listen to your music, but I did. Your music is okay (by that I mean it is a few steps above, say, Nicki Minaj); you clearly have *some* playing and writing ability.

Drop the shitty attitude.
_________________
HALBERD - death/doom featuring members of the Metal Archives !!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
Album art/updates etc: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm 
 

Gurut wrote:
DefeatingTheGrave wrote:

Okay, I'm not gonna get into a huge debate with you. But I will say this, I didn't intend to make the most inovative or technical music ever, I just aimed to make metal. The last thing I want is to get into the ever-so-popular sub-genre/genre debates that you see everywhere amongst the metal world these days. Deathcore, death metal, polka-folk-pop-reggae metal...I don't care what it's called, because it's music all the same. I respect that you gave your honest opinion, what I don't respect is your tyrant about every aspect of it. With that being said, I think you need to open up a bit and realize that a large percentage of the metal music that is made, is not especially technical nor inovative. I'm not trying to vouch for sympathy nor am I vouching for praise of my material. I'm just saying that you needn't dissect everything on such a maticulous level when, in all reality, the specific sub-genre of the music is completely irrelevant, as is the ideal that all music is going to be 100% true and unique.


Couldn't have said it better myself :)


:lol: No, you truly couldn't have!

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2523
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:55 pm 
 

:lol: I'm seriously losing my shit over this. Wow.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
Suffersystem
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm
Posts: 922
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 am 
 

oh. my. god. :lol:
_________________
Tumblr / Last.fm
Xa'ligha - Lovecraftian Dark Ambient
CorpseFister wrote:
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 am 
 

Can we sticky this thread? :D
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2694
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 am 
 

Wow....
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11632
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:54 am 
 

This is the best thing I've read on here in a great while.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
der_kaiser
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 80
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm 
 

As an old experienced musician I can tell you that you cant be dreaming of getting your first recording released! For a label to sign you; You must have at least some "name", followers(Fans) and some previous releases! And By the way; Your music dont sound bad but is THE SAME million bands are doing! Keep on doing the work man but think before writing next time!

Top
 Profile  
orionmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 2446
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 pm 
 

der_kaiser wrote:
As an old experienced musician I can tell you that you cant be dreaming of getting your first recording released!


Not true. Worthy bands DO get their first release out with label backing. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of worthy bands out there.
_________________
CONTAMINATED TONES - BLOG/LABEL/DISTRO
Facebook

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 am 
 

Who cares about subgenres, this shit fucking sucks.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2694
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:53 am 
 

The repetitive chugging palm muted riffs are a snoozefest. And those vocals as someone said sound very artificial and not very good.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9352
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
 

:lol: It gets better. We got this email from the OP:
Quote:
Hey. I really need to notify you guys of a thread that I had started under my Defeating The Grave account. In was in the Promo forum and was talking about looking for a label to release the split. The first post was mine, but I had shortly thereafter kicked a friend out of a different band of mine, Gurut, which also appeared to post on that same forum. Both of those accounts are mine, yet all of the posts done by the Gurut account were not done by me, but instead by a pissed off ex band mate.

Yet, he also reported this thread, with a different story:
Spoiler: show
Image

So in the email he admits the first post is his, but the report says both accounts were hacked. :lol: And yeah, his "pissed off ex-band mate" is... praising his band. To make him look like a sock puppet. Or something!

Then again, we don't need a contradictory story full of holes to know he's full of shit, here's the IP match for the posts:
Spoiler: show
Image


:lol: Funny shit. Sorry Skylar, your reputation is done. Also, sock-puppetry is a bannable offense, as stated on that link: "Other uses of sock puppets may include (but are not limited to): [...] posting on the forum with multiple accounts all pretending to agree with each others to reinforce your viewpoint. To repeat: users caught with sock puppets will be instantly banned."

Good bye!
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
 

Might as well make the best of this situation. *gains 1 point by adding Defeating the Grave as a non-MA band to Pein's artist profile* :D
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11632
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm 
 

Morrigan, thank you for that. it's an absolute delight to see & read someone squirming and turning something so much.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
juicebitch
Juice Bitch

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1561
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm 
 

Skylar Wanke, we will remember your name. You're a legend.
_________________
HALBERD - death/doom featuring members of the Metal Archives !!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
Album art/updates etc: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Top
 Profile  
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 7741
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 pm 
 

Heh heh heh...

Wanke.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Fortunately the seminar started and when it finished, I runed away like if Usain Bolt were about to rape me.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group