Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am 

Not a huge fan of their material but figured there are some fans here. Any thoughts on who will replace her?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/n ... e-20121001

my last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:21 am 

*spit take*

WHAT

WHAT

FLOOR JANSEN IS STEPPING IN

WHAT

EDIT: Oh dear God, please let Floor Jansen stay. We must have a Floor-fronted Nightwish album.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 am 

Damn. Pretty surreal and sudden, given that I just saw them a week and a half ago. But Floor's a very capable vocalist, so I don't imagine she'll have any trouble handling the material. No idea whether this will be a permanent thing or if it'll be a "Kamelot with Fabio" sort of arrangement, but I definitely wouldn't mind hearing her sing on a Nightwish studio recording.

So long as Marco's still on board. I remember thinking, "This guy has one hell of a presence, he could front a band all by himself," then I discovered Tarot. I was very happy that day.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am 

They should hire Lemmy as their new frontwoman.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:35 am 

droneriot wrote:

:lol: :headbang:
Seriously though, I don't think anyone cares at this point. It is like the Candlemass crap where their bassist never truly likes anyone who holds the microphone. They don't interpret his words well enough and so on.

I hate Nightwish's last album and it was the first I bought from the band.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 am 

It's probably their least offensive album due to the absence of the Shrill Voice of Death™.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 am 

They should hire Mike Patton and go all Evil Film Music Orchestra!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 am 

It doesn't matter much who's behind the mic, while Tuomas keeps writing that atrocious lollipop 'metal' he's been around since... Once? it was Century Child?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:51 am 

droneriot wrote:

I endorse this message

They also could hire Varg to sing as well. I think his screams are pretty similar to Tarja's voice, so it would be like a return to the good old days

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 am 

This is shocking and sad. I've gone to bat for Annette a lot due to the fact that she didn't disserve any bashing about replacing Tarja because she wasn't involved at all in Tarja leaving. I'm wondering if Anette's physical condition has anything to do with it, she's visited the ER a couple of times since the US tour started.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:56 am 

I hated the last album but I really fucking Love Floor. I was going to pass on the gig, but I might actually go now. If she stays it might bring the back the good old days.

Annete was capable, but didn't really fit the band on dark passion play. And on the previous one, she was pretty good, but the music itself was pretty bad. Floor would fit the band better. Tickets are £20, pretty cheap for a band that big!

EDIT: Listening to so much after forever now

Last edited by Twin_guitar_attack on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 pm 

I had trouble finding anything to like about the new album, so I've shelved them for the time being. But I do like some of Tuomas' work.

I find it interesting how amicable this split is, in contrast to the last one.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 pm 

Annete bashed them pretty badly in a blog post before leaving the band for playing a show with replacements.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 pm 

So the best singer Nightwish ever had just joined the group today.

I'd be surprised if she stuck around to record an album. She's too much of a vet and would probably want too much input that would just get in the way of Tuomas' "vision".

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Annete bashed them pretty badly in a blog post before leaving the band for playing a show with replacements.

Ahh :).

I was just going off the article quote.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:17 pm 

Good. I never thought Anette was a good choice for the band. She wasn't a bad singer, but she just seemed so "average" to me. Hopefully they'll bring Tarja back, or at least bring in someone who's a real opera singer. The band was at their best during the Oceanborn era when they mixed operatic vocals with power metal.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:29 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:

Do you have the link?

Also, Wishmaster was their peak, better than the overrated (but still good) Oceanborn.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 pm 

Anette Olzon wasn't even into Nightwish or never heard of the band before she joined. I kinda suspected that this "relationship" between her and the band will be short-lived.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm 

metroplex wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:

Do you have the link?

Also, Wishmaster was their peak, better than the overrated (but still good) Oceanborn.

http://anette-olzon.blogspot.com/

She doesn't say anything really negative, just that she didn't agree to their decision to use replacement singers. Although this comment she wrote really makes me wonder what she's doing singing heavy metal, if these are the examples she comes up with:

"Rihanna wouldn't ask Britney Spears to sing for her if she was ill;=)"

:durr:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Oh dear God, please let Floor Jansen stay. We must have a Floor-fronted Nightwish album.

That would be interesting as long as Tuomas decided to take a tour back to writing decent music. I remember AF releasing some crappy albums even though Floor was there, and I do love AF and Floor. Decipher is one of my all time favourite albums for that matter. I would certainly dig the collaboration if it was on a sort of Century Child scenario. Oh I would! :)

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:56 pm 

Floor is vastly superior to Anette in every aspect, so I wouldn't mind her becoming a permanent replacement. Tuomas should also start writing decent music again though, which is not likely. We'll see what happens.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 pm 

What the hell kind of a name is Floor?

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:17 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Good. I never thought Anette was a good choice for the band. She wasn't a bad singer, but she just seemed so "average" to me. Hopefully they'll bring Tarja back, or at least bring in someone who's a real opera singer. The band was at their best during the Oceanborn era when they mixed operatic vocals with power metal.
Floor is one of the best singers around, she can handle opera vocals, no problems. The only question is how long she'll last before they piss her off too.

As for Tarja coming back, something like that is not going to happen after someone pisses you off really bad.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 pm 

King_Hands wrote:

A really stupid one! But her whole family has names like that. The sister is named Ceiling, the father is named Wall, and the mother is named Roof.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm 

King_Hands wrote:

A foreign one, you silly.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:45 pm 

Well Dark Passion Play sucked as did most of Nightwish's material. I'd rather just listen to the far superior Within Temptation even if they've left all the goth behind on the latest couple of albums.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
It doesn't matter much who's behind the mic, while Tuomas keeps writing that atrocious lollipop 'metal' he's been around since... Once? it was Century Child?

When did Nightwish ever play anything apart from 'atrocious lollipop metal'? I'm genuinely curious.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:20 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

When did Nightwish ever play anything apart from 'atrocious lollipop metal'? I'm genuinely curious.

i'd say there earlier albums were power/symphonic metal...whether you think is lollipop metal is a matter of opinion i guess. I like Oceanborn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPvrVefsSE

my last.fm

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm 

Based on nothing whatsoever, I'm going to say that Anette left because Imagin-whatever-ium underused her horribly, plus she had to try to sing over the stump grinder that is Marco Heitala. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:38 pm 

[qote]

http://anette-olzon.blogspot.com/

She doesn't say anything really negative, just that she didn't agree to their decision to use replacement singers. Although this comment she wrote really makes me wonder what she's doing singing heavy metal, if these are the examples she comes up with:

"Rihanna wouldn't ask Britney Spears to sing for her if she was ill;=)"

:durr:[/quote]

She wrote (somewhere)
Quote:
"To think a show is more important than the humans in the band is, for me, so totally not in this world.
which seems a bit disparaging.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm 

I guess she simply has no idea that there exists music that isn't pretty much entirely vocal based and got mad her generic pop artist style voice proved replaceable and inappropriate. I get the feeling the band will still suck in the future, but this is at least one obstacle for getting back to making decent music taken out of the way.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm 

they should obviously hire martin van drunen and make osdm.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

Lori Lewis for the new Nightwish frontwoman!

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:44 pm 

Now that she's gone, maybe I will actually listen to them again. I haven't liked them for a while.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm 

I have a feeling this is due to 2 views of music clashing, Anette taking offence to Nightwish moving on with out her and Toumas deciding to continue on. I kind of get both sides, I get the idea that the show must go on and giving the paid audiances something to see which the other members of Nightwish had. I also get some people believing in all or none, I know that Beasty Boys refused to perform at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since MCA and will problebly never again since he's gone, maybe Anette had the same idea. I don't know if I'l be listening to them for a while, I honeslty prefered Anette over Tarja.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
they should obviously hire martin van drunen and make osdm.

OSDM is good when the band is talented!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jessie117
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:01 pm 

I'm not totally saddened by the fact that Anette of Nightwish has now been permanently replaced. Okay, she faced a lot of heavy (and somewhat undeserved) criticism, and it's not easy for anyone to fill Tarja's role. The songs on Dark Passion Play weren't written for her, and she did much better on Imaginaerum.

But let's face it. She couldn't perform adequately live, and those remarks she made about being replaced by Elize Ryd and Alissa White-Gluz at the show in Denver when she was hospitalized...well, word of advice to anyone in any band: CAREFUL WHO YOU TALK SHIT ABOUT. She should've been grateful that they stepped up at the last minute. No wonder she got canned.

Now as for the replacement...who was that old singer from Sirenia? She might be a good fit.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 pm 

Good. She was always way too standard rock/popish for the band and her live performances of the older tracks physically hurt to listen to. At least in theory, Floor Jansen is perfect if she stays long-term - she's the right mix of rock/metal and opera vocals to sing the newer and older stuff well. Of course, her talent is probably going to be buried under the inane Rammstein-esque riffs of post-Century Child Nightwish should she record an album with Tuomas and co., but just on the outside chance that Nightwish pulls another Oceanborn out of their butts, it'd be a damn good album with Floor on the vox.

- John Calvin.

GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm 

I guess this is for the good of the band, it wasn't really going anywhere, Anette is not a bad singer by any means but Nightwish is just not the band for her singing style. I hope they find a better suiting replacement for the band.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm 

What? Oh, god damn it. I have tickets to see them in January.

I fucking love Anette's vocals and the haters can go something something themselves.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next