Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 pm 

Probably the "God damnit, not again" option, I don't feel like listening to this right now, but I could sacrifice myself. I'll edit my post later.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 pm 

I'll check them tomorrow.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

I'll take a gander again.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 pm 

I don't understand why the band Midgaard from Italy was rejected, i submitted them with this picture! where's the problem??
- http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:52 pm 

I've listened to about 3-4 songs from the new Demon Hunter album and I don't really notice any real change in sound. I'll check out more, but not impressed for now.

MatheusOliveira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:47 pm 

Why Animals as Leaders is on the blacklist? Isn't it "metal enough"?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 am 

For Animals as Leaders

Short Answer:
Spoiler: show
Napero wrote:
I've deleted Animals as Leaders for pretty damn comprehensive lack of metal.

Long Answer:
Spoiler: show
Somebody wrote:
What makes AaL not metal?

Napero wrote:
What makes tango, samba, reggae or techno not metal? The lack of metal. Duh.

I've listened to most of their only album that's already been released, and the music does not fill the criteria for being metal. The riffs are not metal, the guitar sound is clean, undistorted and lacks gonads, the song structures are not related to any metal genre. What it is is progressive rhythmic core- and jazz-influenced technically impressive rock wankery with occasional fragments of almost metallic details.

If you disagree, we must have different definitions of metal. That's too bad, but AaL is not even close to metal. A better question to ask is "what makes them metal in your opinion?". I don't think overturning this decision is likely, though, so don't waste too much of your time unless you are somehow completey convinced I haven't heard something I don't think exists.

AaL should not have been here to begin with. It's a SNAFU by a mod, and has now been corrected.

A thread created in response to the above answers where everyone lost their shit:

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

~Guest 300936
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 pm 

It's kind of old-fashioned that you have to prove that a band has released music by showing a CD (or anything physical). You should get in touch with reality and accept that releases of today are actually released on the web. More and more releases will be available on the web only.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:42 pm 

Old school or death!

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm 

And more and more, people take the time and care to produce their music to a physical medium, which is why the old fashion approach works

BastardHead wrote:

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm 

I'd say, as a musician myself, that nothing beats a physical release. I always carry a couple of my latest EP, just in case I bump into someone that might want it.

Can you do that with a download only? No.
What was the point again?

There rules are about physical release are there. Deal with them.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 pm 

The point is also that it's far, far from being as simple as silluces says in his kind, totally-unheard-of-before piece of advice for us.

But yes, the rules are the rules for now, deal with it.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm 

I have to ask something, and i hope in an answer this time. Everlasting Sorrow is a Funeral Doom band from Syria, they don't have a physical release proof on their internet accounts, but with a CD picture i think that they will be ok, because the music from my ears is completely metal, their not musically different than Evoken or Skepticism. So why the band is BLACKLISTED?? do you think that this is not metal??? with a proof of physical release, they will be accepted?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:30 pm 

Change your tone, please. Yes, with a physical release proof and a proof of metalness, the band will be accepted. You know the RULES.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 pm 

DreadlockMocio wrote:
I have to ask something, and i hope in an answer this time. Everlasting Sorrow is a Funeral Doom band from Syria, they don't have a physical release proof on their internet accounts, but with a CD picture i think that they will be ok, because the music from my ears is completely metal, their not musically different than Evoken or Skepticism. So why the band is BLACKLISTED?? do you think that this is not metal??? with a proof of physical release, they will be accepted?

Can you post your proof of physical release here?

~Guest 300936
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:49 pm 

Metalness. Silliness. The same.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm 

Did one of you reject a band submission by silluces? He seems unhappy.

At the same time, shall I assume Demon Hunter struck out again?

BastardHead wrote:

Silvanohordak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 pm 

Porque KISS no estan en metal archives teniendo discos de Heavy Metal y sin embargo bandas como Soundgarden si que estan... es incomprensible

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 pm 

KISS es rock.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 am 

And we do use English on Metal Archives.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Change your tone, please. Yes, with a physical release proof and a proof of metalness, the band will be accepted. You know the RULES.

I'm so sorry, my tone was not aggressive, if it seems aggressive, sorry i didn't want to be rude with no one

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 am 

Azmodes wrote:
DreadlockMocio wrote:

Can you post your proof of physical release here?

My question was only for know if the band was blacklisted for metalness or physical release, i was interested about it because i didn't know that bands can be blacklisted physical release reasons, i thought that the blacklist was only for metalness, so i took an example and i asked. About a CD copy i can ask to the musician.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
At the same time, shall I assume Demon Hunter struck out again?

It gets a no from me, yeah. Other staffers seemed hesitant to listen, but I know from Derigin that he agrees with me.

DreadlockMocio wrote:
My question was only for know if the band was blacklisted for metalness or physical release, i was interested about it because i didn't know that bands can be blacklisted physical release reasons, i thought that the blacklist was only for metalness, so i took an example and i asked. About a CD copy i can ask to the musician.

Yes, they can be blacklisted for other reasons than not being metal. The most common one is people resubmitting again and again without any evidence for a physical release after numerous rejections/warnings. Or many different people submitting before the release date (that is a pain in the ass for more popular, anticipated bands, like it was for Steve Harris' solo project).

~Guest 230061
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 am 

Well if bands such as Arcana, Halo Manash, Aeoga and Arditi are in the metal archives, I don't see why the band karjalan Sissit shouldn't be. The members are just as much associated with metal, if not more so than the prior said bands. Please take this into consideration as it took me a bit of time creating the discography and so forth.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 am 

Sorry mate, but I'm afraid you wasted your time. Non-metal bands on the encyclopaedia are only added because they fall under the side-project clause; that is, they were established by esteemed metal musicians in tandem with their primary, metal projects. And, mind you, a member needs to be sufficiently illustrious in the metal world for their non-metal project to be relevant to a METAL encyclopaedia.

You could've spared yourself the trouble of going through all that effort if you had have read our rules first. ;)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am 

In light of Alhadis' post, a general warning for all:

Stop trying to submit your non-metal bands as non-metal exceptions, especially when we earlier rejected your band for not being metal.

In the rare circumstance we accept non-metal bands into the Archive, that's not up to users to push for or decide, nor is it a common occurrence warranting post after post demanding it. Out of an Archive of nearly 90000 bands, maybe a hundred or so bands are considered acceptable non-metal exceptions. It's a very rare phenomenon we are very reluctant to pursue.

If your band is found to be non-metal by us, or you know it is non-metal even before submitting it, then please kindly wait for that band to release metal material before you try to advocate for it to be put on the Archive. That usually involves waiting for the band to release new material, since you can be certain that we did our best to judge all the material the band published up to the point that you decided to submit it here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am 

It surprises me that Karjalan Sissit wasn't blacklisted. Surely it must have been submitted more than a few times?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 pm 

Greetings everyone. I was about to submit my friend's band and I noticed that it was blacklisted [probably because it was submitted before, but without a proof of physical release]. The band is called Self Collapse. They are from Montreal and play technical death metal / deathcore.
Now, I am fully aware that this site is very picky with letting people submit bands in that style [which is understandable, since I cannot stand the genre myself] but in their particular case, I believe they are still metal enough to be removed from the black list and submitted to the site since the deathcore influence is quite minimal.

They released an EP on October 17th, 2009, called "the Affliction". Here is a proof of physical release :

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg56 ... fd0f91.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg56 ... 85b7de.jpg

And here's a proof of metalness :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlgpoxq-uK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDnCDIh5 ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtGbV1S ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77BR2dQ ... ure=relmfu

Etc.

If you remove the band from the blacklist, I would like to submit the band to the archives myself. Thank you !

Last edited by PhilTasmal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm 

Je vais écouter ca, je t'en reparle bientôt.

I'm gonna listen to it and I'll say my thoughts later.

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:11 pm 

Cool!

Ixtaukayotl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 pm 

Cheers!!! This morning I saw in the submition queue a band from kazakhstan Than plays doom metal, the name I cannot remember that (so sad), and I'm looking it (that band was rejected), but the thing than shows all my atention is one of the album's band... with a lenght of over 2 hours!!!

All I want is: can somebody say me the name of that band? It was rejected this morning, maybe it can be useful lo locate it.

Thanks

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm 

may I ask why Obzerter (UK) is blacklisted, please?

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 am 

For my opinion they're new album is really metal... but that's an opinion, i know that -core bands here are considered shit (and in certain cases, i agree)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRbnY8EK4Ew
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_TafYA ... ure=relmfu

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 am 

Ixtaukayotl wrote:
Cheers!!! This morning I saw in the submition queue a band from kazakhstan Than plays doom metal, the name I cannot remember that (so sad), and I'm looking it (that band was rejected), but the thing than shows all my atention is one of the album's band... with a length of over 2 hours!!!

All I want is: can somebody say me the name of that band? It was rejected this morning, maybe it can be useful lo locate it.

Thanks

Necrotroopers.

TheMirroringShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 am 

DreadlockMocio wrote:
For my opinion they're new album is really metal... but that's an opinion, i know that -core bands here are considered shit (and in certain cases, i agree)

Judging by that song it sounded like a mix of Dream Theater, Blood Mountain-era Mastodon and some more extreme bands.

Not sure if those bands will suffice as "metal"-comparisions though. But if I had to try to categorize what I heard I would say "Extreme Progressive/Technical Metal(core?)"

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 am 

DreadlockMocio wrote:

Quality is irrelevant, metalness is.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am 

For my opinion this is "Extreme Prorgessive Metalcore" or something like that, Listening to their new material i found them metal, but we need to a moderator opinion about this.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm 

It needs to be a 100% unquestionably, indisputably, completely obviously metal album to qualify. So not only will you have to wait until the full album is released for any sort of reevaluation to take place, but since BTBAM is a very high profile and controversial band, you must realize that we will take our time and scrutinize extra closely in order to make sure we make the correct judgment. It took over a month for us to make a decision on Soulfly when Enslaved was released, and their exclusion hasn't caused nearly as much butthurt hooplah as BTBAM has caused.

So basically this a message to all users, do not bring up Between the Buried and Me again until the album is out, and then save us the headache and just continue not bringing them up until we pass judgment, 'kay? Wonderful, gracias, merci, danke.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm 

Besides, an important caveat regarding cases like this: when it comes to judging non-metal bands who might have released a metal album, we do tend to be fairly strenuous and highly critical on it - perhaps to a degree above normal to that which we normally judge bands. This stems, in large part, from the fact that bands that have built their entire career on playing non-metal music must diverge significantly from that career to produce an album based on metal music. In many cases, that change requires changing the basis that they're so used to for their music. It means accepting a new style wholeheartedly with the conviction that they had with their old style. What this means for a band like BTBAM is that, like Soulfly, even if an album "seems metal" that does not make it - as BH notes - "unquestionably, indisputably, completely obviously metal..."

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

It is possible to know why Shadow Child from Malaysia was rejected?? i posted the link where they sell their EP in the submission notes.. why it was rejected, there's written how to order it
- https://twitter.com/ShadowChildOFCL/sta ... 4416934912

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 541  Next