2) Sabbat Japan 45%  45%  [ 74 ]
3) Who? Black Sabbath? I don't know these bands... 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 163
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 am 

so are Venom's!
Sabbat Japan comes from the school of Venom and although I voted for Sabbat UK, I still think they are a great band and deserve more respect.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am 

droneriot wrote:
, The Dwelling. Absolute masterpiece.

Thanks dromeriot, I will look into this.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am 

I much prefer the material by the UK band. I guess it is not a fair comparison, but I would say that the UK band is far more interesting musically. In generally I am not too fond of music like the one these Japanese do.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am 

I love the Jap Sabbat so much. They're just so much fun to listen to, but, History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver are two of the best thrash release I have ever heard. Those killer riffs, the awesome lyrics (I read the novel, The Way of Wyrd, because of the album Dreamweaver, and it was really good too), and Walkyier's theatrical vocals. Two near perfect albums. So UK Sabbat for me.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:20 am 

I'm not voting because it's been years since I've heard the UK Sabbat and I don't own any of their releases.

Put me in the camp of folks who think "The Dwelling" is a stunning piece of work though. The only others I have are Karmagmassacre and Sabbatrinity. I enjoy them both when I'm looking to just thrash out and hear some awesome songs about Black Magical Circles of Witches and whatever else, but The Dwelling has a captivating atmosphere the whole way through. Definitely interested in picking up more of their earlier material.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am 

I like almost all Jap Sabbat albums, but I could never get into their debut. Just doesn't have the same stand-out riffs to me as their later albums do, and I am not at all fond of the echo-y vocals. I dunno, something about that album in general just doesn't work for me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 pm 

The Dwelling isn't needed to trump this choice, since I enjoy Karisma and Karmamassacre more than anything the UK Sabbat has ever done, but The Dwelling just so happens to be my favorite album of all time. Japan Sabbat is awesome.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 pm 

Never understood the crazy praise for The Dwelling. There are some really great passages, but Sabbat aren't the kind of band that can pull off a 60 minute song. Jap Sabbat are really fun, but that's about it.

Going with UK Sabbat. They're just far more interesting in about every aspect.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

Japanese Sabbat and absolutely no contest as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the UK Sabbat are a cool band, but I only really like History of a Time to Come, and one album is but a drop in the sea of all of Sabbat JP's multitude of releases, many of which contain very memorable tunes. I find While it's true that the Japanese band is occasionally a bit derivative, albums like The Dwelling, Fetishism, Karrisma, and so on prove that the band can incorporate a host of unexpected influences and is in fact quite progressive.

But yes, no doubt Martin is a better lyricist than Gezol. Still, that doesn't count for so much in my book. If anything, Sabbat UK occasionally contains too many lyrics!

And how many people have even listened to morning has Broken? Anyone? It's not a bad album!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 pm 

Wow, it's even! I'm surprised by Sabbat (UK)'s performance.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Wow, it's even! I'm surprised by Sabbat (UK)'s performance.

I'm not :-D Next round "Dreamweaver vs "The Dwelling"! Seriously though I am glad to see Sabbat (uk) getting the support they deserve, they did not have nowhere near as many releases but the first two albums made quite an impact back in the day and still do, for me Dreamweaver was almost ahead of its time, I can not recall hearing anything else similar back then. This thread is making me interested in checking out in more detail the other Sabbat. Mourning was an ok release but was damned to fail trying to follow what came before.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm 

Jap. Sabbat all the way. Some of the countless EP's contains awesome underrated songs, like "Black Metal Volcano" or "Snow Woman". "Black Fire" is a hell of a song, and the "Born By Evil Blood" EP is one of the most EVIL Thrash records of all time IMO. "Evoke" is a fucking catchy record too.

I really like the UK Sabbat, love their 2 first albums and Martin Walkyier songwriting is really cool, but for the trascendence and the influence, i pick the Japanese one. Also, Gezol outfit is fucking badass hahaha.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:49 pm 

UK Sabbat. I love the Japanese band as well but I don't think they'll ever write anything as masterful as the first 2 Sabbat UK albums.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm 

It's so hard to choose. I'm gonna have to go with Japanese Sabbat simply because they're more to my tastes.

But if you could somehow scientifically determine the quality of metal music, they'd be really close to each other. :P

Last edited by Adriankat on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm 

Japanese Sabbat! although i have always wanted them to release a live album :P

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm 

UK SABBAT ALLLLL THE WAAAYYYY

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm 

This is a black day for England!

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:21 pm 

Sabbat UK by a mile or two. Such an unique and especial band for me since I was a teenager back in the late 80's. Martin's most arguably one of the best Metal lyricists ever, as well as an awesome vocalist/frontman, and Andy surely knew how to write a song.
No Martin = no Sabbat, btw. I couldn't care less about their 3rd album. Musicwise it was close to decent, but the absence of Mr. Walkyier behind the mic made the whole thing dull and poor.
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm 

SABBBATTTTTTTTRINITY
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 am 

UK Sabbat is one of my favorite bands, so there's no contest. However Jipanese Sibbat is still good.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 am 

Sabbat JP) do have a live album. It's called live at Blokula or something like that. Very good recording. SLightly drunken performance though. :lol:

Anyway, it's really cool and interesting to see all the praise for The Dwelling here. When a couple of buddies and I got into Sabbat, it was around the time of karisma, so we knew that one, and the two compilations they'd released before then, one of which was FOr Satan and Sacrifice. It wasn't easy to track down their stuff, and I remember we didn't hear of The Dwelling until a long time afterwards. Nobody seemed dto talk about it and it was sort of a hidden artefact in the discography, even though it was only a few years old. When we learneda bout it it our reaction was along the lines of,, "what the fuck is this? A Sixty Minute Sabbat song? You've got to be joking!!" Then my friend got the record and it was so weird and dark and electrifying...we just sat there for an hour, high as fuck, mouths probably gaping, drinking in this grand satanic opus. Great times!

Back to the UK Sabbat for a moment...I guess a lot of the true fans were really put off by Morning has Broken, then. I personally don't see what's so offensive about the record. I am not even that crazy about Dreamweaver and as cool as Martin's lyrics are and as caustic his biting delivery, especially on History....I think having a guy who could actually sing in a heavy/power metal style could have taken the band in a really cool direction that I would have been able to embrace. The album's interesting anyway and the singing almost reminds me of Harry Conklin at times!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

sobermetalheadduh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 am 

UK Sabbat all the way for me!
Quote:
The clerical conspiracy begins

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:47 pm 

I seem to have evened it up again, as the Japanese Sabbat gets my voice 100%!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16 pm 

I voted for UK Sabbat, the only annoying thing about them is Martin's lisp. Can't believe nobody has pointed that out yet.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Sabbat JP) do have a live album. It's called live at Blokula or something like that. Very good recording. SLightly drunken performance though. :lol:

don't they have quite a large number of live releases, with all the "aaaaaarrrghhhhhh"s in the titles or something? hahaha
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:29 am 

Didn't think it would be so even. I expected to see UK Sabbat win by a margin because they have greater appeal among the folks who consider themselves 'intellectual.'

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:32 am 

WOOOOO Sabbat (jap) is winning, I should simply close the vote, lol!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:36 am 

By four votes.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 am 

Thank you, I wasn't aware! 5 now!

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 am 

Sabbat UK have recorded consecutively the couple of greatest albums in the history of metal. Recording one album that would be considered the ultimate in metal is an achievement by itself, but Sabbat did it not once, but twice. Mind you, they were only barely 18 years old when recording History Of A Time To Come and just about 19 when recording their grand timeless masterpiece Dreamweaver - Reflection of Our Yesterdays. 23 years after being acquainted with that album and I'm still excited and feeling exhilarated when playing it, singing along with Martin's beyond-amazing lyrics, like it was the very first time, every single time. No other album ever came close to the magic contained within these two albums, and I've listened to A LOT of albums in my 25 years into metal and heavy music.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 am 

Gotta choose Sabbat from Japan. It's what I want in a black/thrash band.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:11 am 

Sabbat UK. Those albums are superior to anything in Sabbat Japan's discog!

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 pm 

While the UK Sabbat is pretty killer, I'm worship the Japanese one. None of their numerous album are anything beyond killer, and none of them are the same. You get from awesome primitive black/thrash to some with more progressive elements like Abominatrix said. The riffs are almost always killer and... ''Sabbat-y'', and the leads... Temis Osmond is one of the guitarists I respect the most. And every album got a special feeling, the atmospheres they manage to conjure are always so compelling. Man, Fetishism sounds like what desecration would sound like, Disembody has this awesome ghastly feel, The Dwelling is a bit mystic, etc. They're also an example of why I love 3-pieces so much, every part complement themselves so well.

And yes they have a shit-ton of live albums and eps, but they've got a sizable amount of interesting stuff. All first 5 EPs are must-haves, the ''Black up your Soul... ...For Satan and Sacrifice'' compilations are great, the Japanese Harmageddon EPs got awesome and unique Sabbat tracks as some of their Demonslaught ones. Seriously, you'd be surprised to hear how many tracks which doesn't sound much like anything they ever recorded are on these. And there are definitely a couple of worthwhile live albums. They definitely have a worthwhile discography to look through, even as huge as it is. And there's always common sense too, you know some random live album from HMSS or a EP containing only live tracks is not worth checking out.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 am 

Roxyben wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:
I'd love to see something like immolation vs incantation, haha.

immolation vs incantation would make for a great poll! Not sure who would come out on top with that.

It would be like dividing by zero.

I'm saddened by the Japanese lead.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

Both are godly, but must go with Sabbat UK. History Of A Time To Come is probably in the top 10 of best thrash albums ever. Truly amazing! Dreamweaver is killer too.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Sabbat UK. Those albums are superior to anything in Sabbat Japan's discog!

As I said both bands are great, but yes History of a time to come & Dreamweaver easily surpass anything from Sabbat (Japan).

intothesarlaccpit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 pm 

Even though I voted for Japan Sabbat, this thread has helped me rediscover UK Sabbat. I bought Dreamweaver a couple years back and sort of dismissed it as it didn't stick with me. I gave it a listen again and it's better than I remember it being. From what I've heard and read I think I should give History a listen.

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 am 

Despite the popular consensus, I find A History of Time to Come a bit grueling to consistently finish. While Martin's lyrics are amazing, the songs themselves feel like that would have benefited from a more mature guitarist. Now don't get me wrong, Andy Sneap did a good job on the album but there are times I feel the songs go in directions that would have been better developed as a different song. The Japanese Sabbat have plenty of good albums with all the ferocity but also melody that comes from being a bunch of NWOBHM worshipping Black Metal musicians. They've matured songwise over the years from their simple origins to more complex songwriting such as on Karisma and have continued to remain strong for over two decades as evident on Sabbatrinity.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:37 am 

Is this really up for debate? Japanese Sabbat of course. Its apples and oranges. One of the single greatest, most consistent, varied, prolific metal bands of all time vs. a good thrash metal band with few releases. A band that has combined genres and redefined boundaries across the board, all within the context of their own unique flavor vs. a thrash band with some good riffs. Don't get me wrong, I like the UK Sabbat, but they are nowhere near being the monumental pillar of heavy metal that the Japanese band is.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 am 

I went with the third option. They're both pretty cool but I don't absolutely adore either band enough to declare one of them definitively my favorite.

- John Calvin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next