Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:38 pm 

yeah an odd choice aye, but i found out yesterday that sunn have cancelled, i hope pelican still play maybe with a couple of kiwi bands and for cheaper.
also i picked up pelican - australasia on cd, sweet! i nearly got celestial by isis too
i'd love to see a band play in a church, i almost bought a church cheap actually, turns out it was so cheap because it was fucked and needed demolishing, i fancied having gigs there [and drum n bass raves too] ha ha :nods: :roll:

FleshMonolith wrote:
ok man, will do, thanks.

Last edited by dreadmeat on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
i'd love to see a band play in a church, i almost bought a church cheap actually, turns out it was so cheap because it was fucked and needed demolishing, i fanciest having gigs there [and drum n bass raves too] ha ha :nods: :roll:

Check out Sunn's Dømkirke recorded live in a Norweigan church, one of the oldest in Norway I think. Great recording and sounds otherwordly. As good as any as an intro to Sunn.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:35 pm 

anything out there that sounds like Full Blown AIDS?
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 am 

hi guys, i'm looking for music similar to early my dying bride and anathema. i'm thinking crestfallen era anathema, and demo/first album era my dying bride. stuff that is still somewhat in death metal territory, but definitely knows how to slow it down and have beautiful melodies. other records that i like that are close to what i'm looking for are on the doom side of things: saturnus - paradise belongs to you & mourning beloveth - the sullen sulcus.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:32 pm 

satiros wrote:
hi guys, i'm looking for music similar to early my dying bride and anathema

Enchantment's only album "Dance The Marble Naked" is a definite must. They kind of rode the coattails of that MDB/Anathema boom, but wrote some great songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxE4CPK1IY

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 pm 

^i just bought and sold that, it sprang to mind immediately.
how about cathedral?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 am 

I've dug out a few more for you...

Another UK band, Decomposed's only album "Hope Finally Died..." should be right up your alley, a great mix of Doom and Death Metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBgA6CMLZpU

USA's Ceremonium -- their debut album "Into The Autumn Shade" is another overlooked classic of the genre.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3Qr1gM7W0

Sweden's Eternal Darkness. The "Total Darkness" CD contains everything they released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kwJ0nNcWA

God Forsaken's debut album "Dismal Gleams of Desolation" is very much in the early Anathema vein. The 2nd album wasn't as good in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TP_r9OnMl0

and maybe Tiamat's 2nd album "The Astral Sleep". Later albums ventured more into goth and psychedelia territories, but this album features some great doom/death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMjwUrVpJE

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:38 pm 

satiros wrote:
hi guys, i'm looking for music similar to early my dying bride and anathema. i'm thinking crestfallen era anathema, and demo/first album era my dying bride. stuff that is still somewhat in death metal territory, but definitely knows how to slow it down and have beautiful melodies. other records that i like that are close to what i'm looking for are on the doom side of things: saturnus - paradise belongs to you & mourning beloveth - the sullen sulcus.

Definitely check out Virgin Black's Requiem Fortissimo, basically an ode to Lost Paradise, As the Flower Withers, Crestfallen, etc..., really good stuff. Also, Pyogenesis' first EP was doom/death with some gothic influences, but still had a number of mid and uptempo death metal sections with a nice and thick Entombed style guitar tone.

American doom/death usually carried a bit more death metal character than the UK stuff, so definitely check out Avernus' demo material (Sadness... is a masterpiece IMO), Novembers Room's first couple of albums, Morgion's Among Majestic Ruin, and anything by Dusk. I would also like to plug my friend's band Necare, which was deeply influenced by early Anathema, and my band, Nevertanezra. We definitely prefer to keep a little death metal in the doom/death equation, as many of the bands playing the style these days are more gothic/doom bands with death vocals. I hope these help.

weedian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:28 am 

jaykeisstrange wrote:
satiros wrote:

Definitely check out Virgin Black's Requiem Fortissimo, basically an ode to Lost Paradise, As the Flower Withers, Crestfallen, etc..., really good stuff. Also, Pyogenesis' first EP was doom/death with some gothic influences, but still had a number of mid and uptempo death metal sections with a nice and thick Entombed style guitar tone.

American doom/death usually carried a bit more death metal character than the UK stuff, so definitely check out Avernus' demo material (Sadness... is a masterpiece IMO), Novembers Room's first couple of albums, Morgion's Among Majestic Ruin, and anything by Dusk. I would also like to plug my friend's band Necare, which was deeply influenced by early Anathema, and my band, Nevertanezra. We definitely prefer to keep a little death metal in the doom/death equation, as many of the bands playing the style these days are more gothic/doom bands with death vocals. I hope these help.

+ Esoteric, Evoken, Asunder and Disembowelment...my top 4 doom death bands....

weedian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:50 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
I'm looking for the really crushing and extreme sludge.
Stuff like this.
Cough - At the Gates of Madness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkQalxGTVBc

Noothgrush - Erode the Person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CRmX8tvUQ

Grief is another one along the lines of what I am looking for. I also like Iron Monkey and Eyehategod a lot but they aren't quite as slow as what I want as they are more groove oriented.

Not looking for the stoner/sludge style.

Graves At Sea....look no further...

and Burning Witch of course...

weedian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:56 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Looking for some epic doom bands in the vein of Russia's Scald. I already know a selection of bands, such as Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Solstice, DoomSword, Mael Mórdha, Wishdoom, Gods Tower and Ereb Altor, but Scald just seems to be different than a lot of them. I'm not entirely sure why, probably the vocals (how they transition from lower operatic stuff to the high epic wail and the very heavy rich-sounding guitars). Anyway, any recommendations for bands or individual albums similar to Scald would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

definitely check out:
Atlantean Kodex, Warning, 40 Watt Sun, Pallbearer and maybe you find something else on http://www.cruzdelsurmusic.com/

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

weedian wrote:
jaykeisstrange wrote:

+ Esoteric, Evoken, Asunder and Disembowelment...my top 4 doom death bands....

Also awesome, just more funeral doom/death as opposed to standard doom/death. Transcendence Into the Peripheral, Embrace the Emptiness, and Epistemological Despondency are some of my favorite doom albums.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

I am looking for non gothic death/doom. I am familiar with the following bands, asphyx, disembowelment, winter, evoken, autopsy, shroud of the heretic, druid lord, morgion, cianide, coffins, hooded menace, indesinence. I am not looking for funeral doom just some other solid death with heavy doom elements. any help is appreciated.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 am 

How come you people are not using the Death/Doom & Funeral Doom help thread?

I know a few bands that fit your request. Post it in the appropriate thread and I'll do what I can to help. :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 am 

I have never been able to get into doom metal, although I did enjoy Tales From the Thousand Lakes, if that counts. I'm looking to change this- I'm not familiar with any doom metal bands, so I'm mostly just looking for a place to start. Keyboard and clean vocal use (esp. female) would be greatly preferred, and melodic playing in general.

Thanks in advance

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm 

Start with the first Candlemass album, it's kind of the gateway album for getting into doom metal.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
I have never been able to get into doom metal, although I did enjoy Tales From the Thousand Lakes, if that counts. I'm looking to change this- I'm not familiar with any doom metal bands, so I'm mostly just looking for a place to start. Keyboard and clean vocal use (esp. female) would be greatly preferred, and melodic playing in general.

Thanks in advance

Blood Ceremony has clean female vocals and occasionally use organ, but there is a lot of flute, if that would be good. Here's song where organ is utilized to great effect:

Blood Ceremony - Master of Confusion

I know of a few other bands with clean male vocalists that use a good amount of organ:

Abysmal Grief - Requies Aeterna
Antonius Rex - In Hoc Signo Vinces (the Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex album is their only doom metal album. The rest of their albums are prog rock)
Black Hole - Bells of Death

As far as getting a good start on doom metal in general, that use little to no keys, check out the following bands:

Candlemass
Pentagram
Saint Vitus
Pagan Altar
Witchfinder General

And of course, the first 4 Black Sabbath albums.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 am 

Can somebody recommend me some good trad doom with saxophone? I'd prefer nothing overtly melodic, nothing happy, and no female-fronted bands.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 am 

Thanks in advance

Check out Castle and Witch Mountain, both favorites of mine (both female fronted) at the moment and they're touring together in oct/nov! They don't have keyboards (cause keyboards in doom is gaaaay! well, in trad doom for sure!)

drone: no idea :( Would be interesting to hear.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 am 

Thanks in advance

Check out Castle and Witch Mountain, both favorites of mine (both female fronted) at the moment and they're touring together in oct/nov! They don't have keyboards (cause keyboards in doom is gaaaay! well, in trad doom for sure!)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 am 

Thanks in advance

The Slow Death are death/doom, so they have a male vocalist doing growls, but the central focus is the clean female vocalist. Also, there are keyboards.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm 

Hot damn, I just heard Black Moth's full-length for the first time, this is absolutely fantastic stuff. Is there anything else like this out there? It doesn't have to be female-fronted, but this style is fucking awesome.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:31 pm 

Does anyone here like Rose Kemp? I really enjoy her last two albums, Unholy Majesty and Golden Shroud. The former is sorta folkish doom/rock, while the second one is rather unconventional stoner/drone, and the woman is an amazing vocalist to boot. Oddly enough, I haven't seen any comments regarding her 'round these parts.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:16 pm 

just checked out haarp's husks album and it is some pretty killer sludge. i can see it appealing to fans of thou and that style of sludge

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:46 am 

This is pretty much a shot in the dark, and I'm not even sure if it exists, but has anyone heard anything like Neurosis's The Eye Of Every Storm but minus the metal parts?

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 am 

droneriot wrote:
How come you people are not using the Death/Doom & Funeral Doom help thread?

I know a few bands that fit your request. Post it in the appropriate thread and I'll do what I can to help. :)

when i posted that i was not aware that a new rec thread had been created. i have since discovered it and posted in the correct place.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 am 

I am a big fan of post-metal and atmospheric sludge bands. I love bands like Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, Pelican, Rosetta, Callisto, Mouth of an Architect etc. I wanna get into sludge metal. So recommend me some sludge bands that can be used as gateways to sludge from post-metal. I'd prefer something depressive in nature

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:26 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
I am a big fan of post-metal and atmospheric sludge bands. I love bands like Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, Pelican, Rosetta, Callisto, Mouth of an Architect etc. I wanna get into sludge metal. So recommend me some sludge bands that can be used as gateways to sludge from post-metal. I'd prefer something depressive in nature

Give this a try:

The Atlas Moth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9h_au-NweY

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Thanks in advance

There's nothing gay about keyboards in any form of doom.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm 

i dont really know any "gateway bands" from post-metal to sludge, i am sure their are tons of them i just dont know them. But i would bite the bullet and jump headfirst in to the sludge starting with classics like eyehategod, grief, and iron monkey

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 am 

droneriot wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some good trad doom with saxophone? I'd prefer nothing overtly melodic, nothing happy, and no female-fronted bands.

Camel of Doom used to leave quite some room to sax in their first albums. Then it disappeared and came back timidly on their last full-length, which, on a side note, is excellent.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Maybe Snowblood, Kongh's first demo, Batillus and Walk Through Fire's "Furthest From Heaven"

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm 

I think Kylesa would do wonders for you. Mostly their album Spiral Shadows.

This is a hell of a song, in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0Ox2KqSHk

The song is actually 5-7 minutes in lenght if I remember correctly, there's just a problem in the video that the music ends after said minutes, but the video just keeps "playing".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm 

Orthodox Caveman wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

There's nothing gay about keyboards in any form of doom.

It was a joke, dude.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Thou for sure, their first lp tyrant is a great mixture of harsher sounds, but still melodic and with build ups like MotA. This is, without a doubt, exactly what youre looking for. One of my favorite bands, you'd have to give tyrant a real listen, then move on to Peasant, the split with Leech, the split with Moloch and the split with Salome. Summit is great as well, but as an album just not as good as the other two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWHaaoC ... ata_player

Buried inside's spoils of failure is a great mix between sludge and post hardcore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tm4p-dK ... ata_player

As for sludge itself, here's the most disparaging, downtrodden, dismal song you'll ever hear by one of the best sludge bands ever. This song alone got me into sludge; great video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhSLM73J ... ata_player

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by FleshMonolith on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like doom metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
I am looking for non gothic death/doom. I am familiar with the following bands, asphyx, disembowelment, winter, evoken, autopsy, shroud of the heretic, druid lord, morgion, cianide, coffins, hooded menace, indesinence. I am not looking for funeral doom just some other solid death with heavy doom elements. any help is appreciated.

try daylight dies if you havent heard them yet.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 pm 

Okay guys, I want something very simple; basically, anything that has tons of Candlemass/Solitude Aeturnus influence, but make sure that it also uses tons of synths and/or keyboards (if they're Hammond organs, then all the better). Thanks in advance!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 am 

one only band: While Heaven Wept. I don't like them, but you're likely to.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:35 am 

Already familiar with them Morphine, sorry. Besides, I don't see them being very similar to either Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus (actually, the biggest comparison I can draw is a doomier Fates Warning).

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 pm 

it's Epic Doom with tons of keys; true I didn't see much further and didn't think of the similarities they could have share with both Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus.
You know Atlantean Kodex? Pretty impressive German Epic Doom band. And I'd say, although I won't pretend they make a heavy use of keyboard, Check out Evangelist also. Very reminescent of Candlemass.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 133  Next