Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 am 

Im looking for the real gloomy, melancholy, wrist opening stuff that drips with sadness and loss. The kind of doom metal/rock/whatever that just makes you feel like all is lost and your better off curling up in bed and dying on a rainy day. Not so much crushing and heavy (although that's ok too). And not weird deranged suicidal black metal. I want the pure funeral music please. Acoustics, other instruments and clean singing parts are welcome, even preferred.

Thanks again everyone.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 am 

Cathedral's "Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain" does this to me. A soul-crushingly morose slab of doom, and a great ending to my favourite metal album of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZDLwxTeDo

weedian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 am 

Warning's "Watching From a Distance" and Pallbearer's "Sorrow and Extinction" I would say. Although if you want something crushingly depressive I highly recommend Esoteric's "Subconsciouss Dissolution into the Continuum" or "Paragon of Dissonance" to start with.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 am 

definitely forgotten tomb - disheartenment, altho' it may stray to the black side of things too much for your request...

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 pm 

weedian wrote:
Warning's "Watching From a Distance"

That one, definitely. This is so soul-draining. A fucking heaving burden weighting on your shoulders.

I remember listening to Morgion/Solinari one day I was really down. It just made me even more depressed.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm 

Mournful Congregation are saaaaad Aussies. I guess they're more melancholy than depressing though. Maybe you'd like them anyway.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm 

Dolorian is more black metal but still fits the description. Very gloomy music.

Mourning Beloveth's "A Disease For The Ages" is very crushing and probably the polar opposite of happiness and makes you feel like all is lost. Same thing with Celtic Frost's "Monotheist".

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:53 pm 

Reading the op, Virgin Black on requiem - mezzo forte should be just what he's looking for.

Marag wrote:
Dolorian is more black metal but still fits the description. Very gloomy music.

If you have only heard the first album and define music genres solely on vocals...not what I would recommend for the op, but its a very good and unique band for sure.

Bart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm 

I would say Worship and Funeralium.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:02 pm 

Katatonia's Dance of December Souls? Renkse's voice on that album is the bitter-est thing I've heard in a metal record.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 am 

This is some sludgy doom that is some of the most outright desperate music I've ever heard (it rivals Anaal Nathrakh imo). Listen to track two for the lyrics you're looking for. http://tentacle666.bandcamp.com/

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 pm 

Give My Dying Bride's The Dreadful Hours album a listen. Not quite "wrist opening" but almost. It's more on the sad contemplative side, before the wrist opening lol. Don't ever do that shit though, at least not on my recommendation. =)

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:20 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
Give My Dying Bride's The Dreadful Hours album a listen. Not quite "wrist opening" but almost. It's more on the sad contemplative side, before the wrist opening lol. Don't ever do that shit though, at least not on my recommendation. =)

Ha thanks, don't worrying I am far from suicidal, just like depressing heavy music lately. Maybe it's cause I recently got married lol

thanks for the recs guys, am checking all of them out. Keep em coming if anyone has anymore

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm 

Nortt (blackened funeral doom) Has a nice use of keyboards with cavernous vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bldWs5rEauM

Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions (maybe too black metal and not slow enough for you)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv-VjKfw6ao

Anti (One of the best depressive black metal bands)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLGJMIQjFY

dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 pm 

I definitely second Nortt. The absolute lowest of the low of funeral doom, very depressing. I recommend the first two full-lengths and the split with Xasthur.
Some projects similar to Nortt are Elysian Blaze, Abyssmal Sorrow, Funeral Mourning and The Funeral Orchestra.

Another project that comes to mind is Gris, although it is a dsbm, there is use of acoustic guitar and interesting keyboard passages. They even composed a classical piece which is very beautiful and clearly talented, unlike the majority of that genre.

Also, Pensées Nocturnes has a classical and blues approach, a unique and clever idea I might add although it does sound very much like GarageBand.

There is also Trist, which is listed here as doom/black metal. Even more depressive than Nortt in my opinion, you'll probably want to die after hearing his music.

Some of these are not so much doom, but are absolutely drenched in melancholy so I would like to share them.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm 

Check out Nocturnal Depression. Even though they are labeled as DSBM, they have lots of doom influence; especially in the riffing and drumming

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:07 pm 

Warning - Watching from a Distance! that album has actually made me cry...

MannyQuiza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm 

Obsequies Procession

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 pm 

Maybe I've desensitised myself with all the depressing music I've listened to, but I've never really found any kind of music gut-wrenchingly depressive (albeit maybe The Angelic Process) At worst, just kind of a lukewarm melancholy. So my judgement may not be its best. But here's some of the gloomiest doom I've come across:

Abyssmal Sorrow - Requiem For the Dying Moon
Colosseum - Numquam
Forest of Shadows - Sleeping Death

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:36 pm 

Try Turkey's Depressive Mode. They were rejected from the Archives (too much atmosphere and not enough metal, basically) but it was some of the most lachrymose, sorrowful music I've ever heard.

And of course, no thread like this is complete without Draconian, whose two first albums in particular were in incredibly heavy rotation while my life was at its darkest.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 am 

weedian wrote:
Warning's "Watching From a Distance" and Pallbearer's "Sorrow and Extinction" I would say. Although if you want something crushingly depressive I highly recommend Esoteric's "Subconsciouss Dissolution into the Continuum" or "Paragon of Dissonance" to start with.

As far as being depressing/melancholic newer Esoteric has nothing on their album Epistemological despondency, particularly the songs The Noise of Depression and Awaiting My Death. Two long, drawn out songs that will probably bore most at first, but give it a few listens and if you're anything like me they'll put you into a trance and pretty much drain any enthusiasm and energy from you.

Worship's Last Tape/CD, etc, etc.. Before Doomsday is another good one. Really sorrowful riffing and a crushing guitar tone.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 am 

I actually find newer Esoteric to be rather uplifting, strangely enough. I wouldn't recommend them for someone trying to find the most depressing stuff ever.

I second the thought above of The Angelic Process being a real downer though, you can almost sense a wall of sadness and emotion hitting you in the face.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 am 

i find stuff like Khanate to be very down trodden and on the manic side of how depression really is as a mental illness filled with anger and hopeless ness.

a lot of people shit all over the band Loss, but their despond album to me is some solid funeral bummer music.

i second or third Nortt, doesnt get much bleaker for blackened funeral doom.

when i am really down i listen to a lot of death in june, swans and joy division. but i know that doesnt fit your request as they are not funeral in the least and not metal either.

asunder's a clarion call might fit the bill slow dark, some clean vocals, just really a haunting bleak record, that has a hint of the majestic but not up lifting.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:37 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:

a lot of people shit all over the band Loss,

Really? Where did you see that? I'd say they're not very much talked about in the first place...

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
primitivevoid wrote:

a lot of people shit all over the band Loss,

Really? Where did you see that? I'd say they're not very much talked about in the first place...

I have seen the despond album given a lot of flack for being uninspired, unimagative and generally a funeral doom by the numbers release. ive seen that around here on the archives forums as well as a few people i know in the "real world". that said i completely disagree and find Loss to be high caliber funeral doom art. "open veins to a closed curtain" is a classic in the making. i really enjoy despond a lot and find it truely dark and depressive, which i cannot say for all funeral doom.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

From what I've seen and heard Loss is really a love or hate case. I for one can't see the fuss about them as they're not doing anything remarkable. Actually that album bores me to death, but many will say the same about a hundred other funeral doom albums so take that as you will.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 pm 

Heard it once and liked it enough to not delete it, don't remember what it's like, though.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 pm 

Loss suck, plain and simple. Not only are they sleep inducing (as opposed to sadness inducing) but how they actually SOUND is lame. Really hollow.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm 

Nah, they're pretty good, plain and simple. I like the vocal approach. A good mix of death/doom and funeral doom.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm 

MannyQuiza wrote:
Obsequies Procession

Where do I find out about this band? The name I recall from a video posted about depressive funeral doom.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:02 pm 

I'd recommend 40 Watt Sun and Evoken's "Quietus". And I second The Angelic Process, it's really sad he commited suicide...

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am 

They may have too many fast parts for you, but Bethlehem has some pretty desperately sad moments mixed with black metal (But gives me good memories, wtf?). They have some songs in German, and some in English.

eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s3rpUep ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LmiGv8X ... re=related

EDIT: Maybe I should have actually read the whole post XD "No Suicidal Black Metal"

were they hot?

Last edited by HerrDerQual on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 am 

Thanks again for the great recs everyone. I've been trying to follow up on each one.

So far I've listened to warning's "watching from a distance" and a lot of my dying bride. After listening to three different my dying bride albums (the dreadful hour, darkness..., and for lies I sire) I can honestly say that I'm not a fan. I found most of it pretty boring.

Warning however is extremely emotional. Once I got past the dudes voice the music really made a powerful impact.

Asunder is also great.

The next ones I will try are Nortt, trist and mournful congregation, as based on reviews they seem like what I'm looking for.

Question: is 40 watt sun a lot like warning? What's another band that has the pure sadness of warning, but with heavier riffs and vocals?

Thx again

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 am 

Yes, 40 Watt Sun is pretty much Warning :)
Also try Funeral http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcE3TpO32Q The older stuff is much more heavier..new stuff is more gothic.
And Mourning Beloveth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZMMYLCNvk

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm 

40 Watt Sun is like Warning but less riff-based, more atmospheric and shoegazey.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:22 pm 

alliaphagist wrote:
40 Watt Sun is like Warning but less riff-based, more atmospheric and shoegazey.

Also as lame!!!!

Check out Fall of the Idols, I'm currently writing a review for their new album, it's grand.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:20 am 

Metantoine wrote:
alliaphagist wrote:

Also as lame!!!!

:o You must die!

EDIT: The more I read this, the more I can see what Metantoine is saying below me. Twas meant as a joke, and a lame one at that.

Last edited by ClaymanOnFire on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 am 

Yeah, ok. death threats are not cool and I'm gonna be objective and I'll do nothing about it. But yeah... I'll think I'll write them a 15% review.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am 

pbarb wrote:

Question: is 40 watt sun a lot like warning? What's another band that has the pure sadness of warning, but with heavier riffs and vocals?

Thx again

Try Saturnus' first album.

All three albums of Longing for Dawn are quite depressing too. It's Funeral Doom.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next