Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 am 

Thiestru wrote:
House - Weirdest movie I've ever seen. Figures that it's Japanese. I don't even know how to describe it, except weird. It's like the filmmakers took a bunch of hallucinogens, then made a movie depicting their experiences. It's a horror movie, but it's not scary, at least not in any normal sense. I recommend it, but only if you want to see something that's completely out there.

Are you talking about the House made in the 80s that has the nosy neighbor and the fish that comes back to life and the vietname stuff, or a different House?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:18 am 

No, I'm talking about the 1977 Japanese movie.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 am 

Nashville: Altman doing what Altman does best: Ensemble films with a mosaic of intertwining stories. This time about music artists in Nashville - mostly country as you would imagine. The film blends reality and fiction with some famous people playing themselves in small bit parts here and there. The dialogue and storytelling is familiar from his other ensemble movies. Or vice versa, considering this is one of his earliest. Clever and cutting to the heart of things, though a character or two is a bit cliche, but perhaps there's truth in advertising there. A young and naive waitress wanting to become a country star or a slick and slimy political lobbyist. It's also a musical with mostly country songs, all original and mostly even pretty well written. What's lacking in that department is the sole 'rock' band in the film: They don't perform actual rock, but rather just folk and supposedly deep and insightful, yet it comes off rather pretentious. Or perhaps that is the point.

Silver Streak: The first Wilder and Pryor film. Past the half point and it's just a Wilder show. Pryor is there in the background, but didn't even get a line. Very dull, very dated. The humor is very much lost in time. Funnily enough, The Prisoner turns up as the nemesis, pulling the ropes behind the scene.

River of No Return: Monroe & Mitchum in the 'wild' west with music. Oh, and there's a kid too. Rather ho hum. Very much relying on Marilyn Monroe's figure, without shame. She's a raunchy tavern performer - with guitar! He's a stand-up farmer in a region populated by gold rushers. Wouldn't you know it.

failsafeman wrote:
Definitely not as creepy, in my book. Kinski's Nosferatu has this guilty look about him, like he knows he's been a naughty boy but he just can't help himself.

Ah well, I see your point. I meant a different kind of creepy though. The otherworldliness of Schreck's appearance combined with the black & whiteness of the film as well as the early year of creation, makes it seem so much more... fathomable I guess. Back when the film was made, you might've actually believed that there were these kinds of creatures in the deep woods at the dark corners of the world.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 am 

A clockwork orange and Goodfellas.

I could quote this shit all day

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Dude, you need to change that asap! Escape from NY is fantastic!
What? That movie is boring as fuck. Seriously, as far as 80's action goes, it's one of the blandest and most uneventful. I never understood why it was so popular.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:56 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Dude, you need to change that asap! Escape from NY is fantastic!
What? That movie is boring as fuck. Seriously, as far as 80's action goes, it's one of the blandest and most uneventful. I never understood why it was so popular.

No way! It isn't all that action packed admittedly but it's just a rad movie with Russell at his best (aside from the Thing and Big Trouble), and honestly, I've never really considered it an action movie anyway.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm 

Saw Hesher yesterday.

It definitely was not what I was expecting, but I thought it was good. I think the movie wasn't really about Hesher as it was more about the kid coping with losing his mom.
The pool scene was by far my favorite. Hilarious.

7/10

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I just watched Silent Night, Deadly Night for the first time yesterday. It's just as good as people have told me it is. I love horror films with psychological buildup of the villain, and this has some of the best I've seen in any slasher film.

Haha, I'm pretty sure that one offended a share of people back in the day. "Christmas Evil/You Better Watch Out" was another over the top film with a very dark sense of humor and an unorthodox character study as well if you haven't seen it. Probably made in the vein of "Taxi Driver," but in his case not functioning to society's standards due to being stuck in a child's mind/Christmas mode.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 am 

Just watched The Mansion of Madness. It was a good movie, but coming from the director of Alucarda, I was expecting a bit more. I wouldn't even consider this a horror movie. It's more funny than anything else, with a lot of incidental music that reminded me of Loony Toons. On the whole, it recalled Masque of the Red Death (with Vincent Price), but not as good.

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:03 am 

Watched Meeting Evil with Samuel L. Jackson and Luke Wilson. Fucking awesome. Probably my new favorite Samuel L. Jackson character. Also watched Cabin in the Woods. Wasn't that impressed. Need to watch it again. I think it got too hyped up.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 am 

I can't decide if I want to watch The Cabin in the Woods... half the reactions i've seen say it's total dog shit and the other half say it's good, including some friends... but the trailer looks like shit to me.

I think modern horror movies are garbage for the most part as well as anything that is supposedly a horror movie that uses a bunch of CG... should I bother or should I just watch The Stuff for the ten thousandth time instead?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am 

I can't decide if I want to watch The Cabin in the Woods... half the reactions i've seen say it's total dog shit and the other half say it's good, including some friends... but the trailer looks like shit to me.

I think modern horror movies are garbage for the most part as well as anything that is supposedly a horror movie that uses a bunch of CG... should I bother or should I just watch The Stuff for the ten thousandth time instead?

Well, put it this way, the first half is kind of confusing, then
Spoiler: show
it almost becomes an entirely different one
. I saw it in theaters with my friend(both big horror fans). We didnt hate it, but its at least something different. I downloaded it for a friend and Ill eventually watch it again.

Ill post a summary here:
The teens go to the cabin and all of the horror stuff is controlled by a corporation/group. Halfway through, one of the guys and girl escape through a hidden door and go in the building where the group is and theres a bunch of monsters locked up there, where the teens unlock them(I thought this was a really awesome part)
. I didnt give away everything or the ending, but if you read that and hate it, then you wont like the ending, partly because it gets more "ridiculous". Then again, the whole movie is.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 pm 

Ridiculous I'm ok with and your brief summary was enough to intrigue me... definitely a different approach, though I can see where some people have said that they rip off plot points from other films. I hate knowing anything about what's going to happen in a movie before seeing it which is why I generally hate watching trailers these days... they show you the whole fucking movie... and your summary was probably too much info for me honestly (my fault for reading it) but the concept seems good enough to at least warrant a dollar rental from the redbox down the street.

A couple questions though...
Are the monsters and gore (I heard there was gore) all CG? That's a deal breaker for me... and can you tell me if the monsters are some typically stupid alien garbage or actually cool? That's another deal breaker... not sure if you saw Super 8 but I thought it was good up until they showed what escaped from the train at the end and then I was pissed for wasting my time.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm 

It doesn't RIP-OFF anything. It pays blatant homage, and part of the fun is picking up on what they're referencing. The monsters are fucking cool looking too, no Super 8 crap.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm 

Just watch the fucking movie and decide for yourself?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 pm 

Saw the new Jake Gyllenhaal (sp?) movie End of Watch over the weekend. It was pretty good; story is weak at times, but it keeps you entertained. But the swearing was just terrible. And not a "swearing is naughty", conservative parent kind of terrible, but in a "used so fucking much it was painful" kind of way.

All the Mexican gangbangers in the movie use fuck like they're 12-year-olds who just learned what cursing is, and they just HAVE to use it as often as possible. (Actual dialouge includes gems like "You fuckin' guys fuckin' do good, you fuckin' do this [ambush a cop], I'll fuckin' treat you fuckin' right. You fuckin' feel me? You fuckin' feel me?") The overuse was comical at first, but by the end of the movie it's just plain annoying.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:29 pm 

Cabin in the Woods was fun, my wife and I got almost instantly the references of the first half, then goes pretty well IMO. Worth watching.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It doesn't RIP-OFF anything. It pays blatant homage, and part of the fun is picking up on what they're referencing. The monsters are fucking cool looking too, no Super 8 crap.

Nice, just what I needed to hear, thanks dude.

Empyreal wrote:
Just watch the fucking movie and decide for yourself?

Don't like to waste my time, especially since I don't have much time for movie watching anyway, and being the extremely picky person I am when it comes to horror movies (I can probably count the big budget horror films made after 2000 I like on one hand) I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be wasting my time watching something that I wasn't going to like in the first place... but I'll make sure to not ask for opinions on movies in The Movie Thread going forward... should probably not ask for recommendations in the Recommendation forum either huh? :-)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:12 pm 

I'm a horror freak too and I completely agree that this decade hasn't really had too many great ones, but Cabin is one of my favourites. Though, in all honesty, it's not really a horror movie.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Though, in all honesty, it's not really a horror movie.

That was the other thing I heard that kinda threw me off since it seemed like that's what it was being marketed as. I'll definitely check it out though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 pm 

The marketing campaign makes perfect sense when you take into account the fact that the humour is mainly aimed at horror fans.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm 

I loved Cabin. I'm a fan of most Joss Whedon things I've seen (although I'm half expecting someone to take away my nerd badge when I say that I've never watched Firefly or Serenity), so this one I quite liked. When it's funny, it's darkly humorous. When it's violent, good grief is this movie gory. And the surprise cameo at the end completely caught me off guard.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:43 pm 

Don't like to waste my time, especially since I don't have much time for movie watching anyway, and being the extremely picky person I am when it comes to horror movies (I can probably count the big budget horror films made after 2000 I like on one hand) I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be wasting my time watching something that I wasn't going to like in the first place... but I'll make sure to not ask for opinions on movies in The Movie Thread going forward... should probably not ask for recommendations in the Recommendation forum either huh? :-)

Naw, man, it's just, when you start getting into a big discussion about it and keep going 'hmmm...tell me more' it just seems weird. But then again I almost never use the rec forum or ask for other peoples' opinions in here either. I like to be surprised.

I'm gonna do a review for Cabin in the Woods this weekend finally. It's time.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm 

Ridiculous I'm ok with and your brief summary was enough to intrigue me... definitely a different approach, though I can see where some people have said that they rip off plot points from other films. I hate knowing anything about what's going to happen in a movie before seeing it which is why I generally hate watching trailers these days... they show you the whole fucking movie... and your summary was probably too much info for me honestly (my fault for reading it) but the concept seems good enough to at least warrant a dollar rental from the redbox down the street.

A couple questions though...
Are the monsters and gore (I heard there was gore) all CG? That's a deal breaker for me... and can you tell me if the monsters are some typically stupid alien garbage or actually cool? That's another deal breaker... not sure if you saw Super 8 but I thought it was good up until they showed what escaped from the train at the end and then I was pissed for wasting my time.

The last 20 or so minutes has cgi, but it kind of had to be. That part was so much fun that I didnt mind the cgi at all. Im just glad they didnt release it in 3d, since it wouldve been converted 3d, which is pretty much useless.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:06 am 

The slasher film stuff throughout most of the movie though is all practical. Then once it switches to the underground area that's when the violence becomes CG, but as the above said it was kinda necessary. There are practical effects thrown in there near the end too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Naw, man, it's just, when you start getting into a big discussion about it and keep going 'hmmm...tell me more' it just seems weird. But then again I almost never use the rec forum or ask for other peoples' opinions in here either. I like to be surprised.

I gotcha, I probably should have phrased my question to be something like "I like old gory horror movies that don't use CG, should I bother with Cabin in the Woods?" Which would have given me all I needed to know without finding out anything specific about the film which, like I said before, bums me out.

Also, didn't mean my reply to come of as "dick-ish" at it sounds when I re-read it now so sorry if that's the impression it gave, just being sarcastic :-D

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

Just watched the new Paranormal Activity 4 trailer and it's really looking recycled. Ill probably skip it if its pg-13, which it's looking like it.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I'm gonna do a review for Cabin in the Woods this weekend finally. It's time.

I didn't find this to be that uncommon when I worked in a video store. It was divided at times. Some people the less you said and more confidently the more they wanted to see it. Then others had to know the ins and outs to work up to seeing anything. Typically they didn't pick it that day either.

While, I have a share of favorites from after 2000, I have to admit at least you're honest. There are a number of people that will see a film anyway with arms crossed. Not to mention go out and pass the word how much they didn't like it even more than going in.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 pm 

I haven't written an actual review in a while. But I did this mini writeup not far back when I seen "The Flowers of War" (2011). I thought it was both a haunting and heartfelt film that took on questions of conscience and self-sacrifice regarding the Nanking Massacre in pre-World War II China. Essentially a greedy mortician (Bale), overprivileged prostitutes, along with convent girls--oblivious to the true horrors of war--get thrown together at a church as the Japanese army encroaches the city. Nice to see a vivid and dramatic take with a spine over the two exploitation films that introduced me to the subject.

I did do a long summary of a film fest I attended near me but it's for mostly hard to find films at this point. "Foodie" was my favorite though: an original and hilarious short involving a friend that attempts to help another who's stressed and claims he's randomly vomiting whole, ready-to-eat foods to the other's disbelief.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:04 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just watched the new Paranormal Activity 4 trailer and it's really looking recycled. Ill probably skip it if its pg-13, which it's looking like it.

Just wondering why you think it would be pg-13? The others were all R and I haven't read anything about it being otherwise. Haven't seen the trailer yet, loading it now (insanely slow internet).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 pm 

I'm looking forward to that Sinister flick that's coming out in 2 weeks. An R-rated horror movie that doesn't seem to revolve around gore? It might have a chance...

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:47 am 

EssexCounty wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Just wondering why you think it would be pg-13? The others were all R and I haven't read anything about it being otherwise. Haven't seen the trailer yet, loading it now (insanely slow internet).

It just looks to me like its aimed at the teenage crowd(teen cast, use the Kinect gimmick). The main reason they were rated R was for Language, so they could say a few Shits and Fuck once.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
It just looks to me like its aimed at the teenage crowd(teen cast, use the Kinect gimmick). The main reason they were rated R was for Language, so they could say a few Shits and Fuck once.

I definitely agree that it's aimed at a younger crowd... I still highly doubt it will be be pg-13 though. I was reading that the rating should come out soon (this month) so we'll know soon enough. I will probably see it either way. By no means were any of the other movies "good", but I still liked them. Good/bad/whatever, they did scared me for a minute. I didn't have high expectations for the others, don't for this one either so I shouldn't be let down.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:21 pm 

EssexCounty wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

I definitely agree that it's aimed at a younger crowd... I still highly doubt it will be be pg-13 though. I was reading that the rating should come out soon (this month) so we'll know soon enough. I will probably see it either way. By no means were any of the other movies "good", but I still liked them. Good/bad/whatever, they did scared me for a minute. I didn't have high expectations for the others, don't for this one either so I shouldn't be let down.

A workprint was screened at a festival and it sounds really disappointing, to say the least. One of the new scares is
a pc turning on by itself
, which sounds totally laughable. So far, the only thing that sound good is the ending, which
pays homage to the third

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:29 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
A workprint was screened at a festival and it sounds really disappointing, to say the least. One of the new scares is
a pc turning on by itself
, which sounds totally laughable.

:ugh:
I know those movies were bad but... Really? As a self-employed computer repairman I'm honestly more scared when I get a call from someone asking me to tell them how to turn on their computer. I shit you not. It's happened more than once.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

Aliens- pretty much one of my all time favorite movies. It has such a perfect atmosphere of lo fi but high budget and some of the coolest special effects ive seen that are not CGI (i.e. the aliens themselves). From the immence amount of slaughter that happens to the main characters to the final scene where ripply battles the queen alien and "get away from her you bitch!" this movie owns. Vasquez rules. I think Sergeant Al Apone looks exactly like Avery Johnson of Halo (the videogame). Hudson, who's always freaking out when something bad happens is hilarious. All the characters have sort of over the top swaggerish attitudes (besides Corpral Hicks).

The new movie Prometheus is pretty good, but a far cry from it's predecessors.

Ill be watching Aliens for years to come.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:57 pm 

I recently watched a bunch of movies.

The Burbs: This movie was just strange and disappointing. The story of these suburban families who get together through mutual distrust for strange new arrivals in the neighbourhood. I'd heard good things about it but for me it just fell flat. I laughed maybe twice at the escalation and increasing absurdity, and the twist at the end wasn't really necessary, though I can see what they were going for. It's a sad day for a movie when a young Corey Feldman is the most entertaining thing about it.

Rounders: Entertaining movie. Every actor shines in it. Edward Norton is perfect as the deadbeat friend, Malkovitch sounds and looks very cool as the Russian shark (his particular diction lending itself well to the accent) even John Turturro, in a pretty small role, gets things moving. I found the character arcs believable and interesting, and the pace brisk. See it if you don't mind a movie that's 80% about poker.

The Legend of Drunken Master: Jackie Chan, the man is a legend. As is expected, he does some pretty crazy stunts in this movie. Jumping from heights, getting burned, flipping through windows. The fight choreography is great as usual from him, incorporating comedy and his environment into it as is his trademark. The translation, as with most of these movies, is over the top and sometimes strange while still remaining somewhat smooth. It's a story you expect from him, protect artifacts from evil businessmen.

Rumble in the Bronx: Another Chan movie, most of what I said above applies to this one too, with some more entertaining locals, better character development, and even crazier stunts. The montage of Chan hurting himself a bunch of times during the credits was a nice touch.

Crank 2: Stupid movie. Not even pretty entertaining. Tries hard to be quirky and simultaneously gritty while having a lame sense of humour. Stupid over the top. Just stupid. Even the first one was better, while still sucking considerably. There are better ways to hurt yourself than watch this movie.

Dr.Strangelove: I've somehow managed to spend all these years without seeing this movie while loving Kubrick's other works. I was looking for some new comedies that had slipped me by when I noticed that this was frequently listed as the number one comedy of all time, so I had to see it. While I wouldn't agree with that assessment (as the movie is very much a slow burn, dark form of humour with few genuine belly laughs. More like ''that's clever'' kind of chuckles.) I love the crazy of the general who instigates the whole thing and his preoccupation with ''precious fluids''. Peter Sellers is great in this, I hadn't even realized he also played the president until I IMDB'ed it. He assumes three different characters with a world of difference between them. Who knew a legendary comedy could be made out of cold war tensions?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Legend of Drunken Master

Best film scene ever.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
The Legend of Drunken Master

Best film scene ever.

I should watch Jackie Chan movies with English dubbing more often.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:00 pm 

Everything from the 90's onwards has typical, kind of funny, okay dubbing (except the prisoner, which is made nonsensical by the dub.) But his old stuff, like that movie being from the 70's is mostly hilarious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 818  Next