Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 pm 

Jeff Scott Soto it's another excellent and powerful singer. The first scream on I'll See The Light Tonight is fucking boss.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Tony Martin and David DeFeis.

Amen. You, sir, *KNOW* the good stuff.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 am 

Bruce Dickinson hands down for men. Dio and Freddie Mercury are both equally good but for my money, Dickinson forever. Love his belting mid-range and of course the air-raid siren highs from the glory days of the 80s. And on top of that he has an instantly recognizable voice and lots of charisma and personality. He's just a world-class metal singer and the penultimate example of that.

For women, Marjan Welman of Autumn. Reason? Here. Amazingly powerful and yet calm, like a warm autumn (ha ha) afternoon. I could listen to her all day.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 pm 

(edit-trimmed fat:)

To the list of power I add Messiah Marcolin and give special honor to the late Agyl. Patton never moved me like that guy.

(and thanks for the reminder of Diamanda Galas. That woman does not fuck around. At all ..)

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:37 pm 

Ronnie James Dio, Johnny Gioeli, Tony Martin, Eric Adams, Hansi Kursch, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Glenn Danzig, David Wayne, Mike Howe, Roger Daltrey, etc. I could go on and on and on and on.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:24 pm 

Thought the point of this thread was to say why?

But yeah, Roger Daltrey's always had a very wide vocal range and is able to sing anything from a relatively low note to a really high scream. Not only that, but I think he's (apparently) still able to sing at around about the same level.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 pm 

Hate to jump on the bandwagon but Mercury and Dio all the way.

Freddie Mercury is the greatest rock vocalist of all time, there is no one that can match him, his range, power, delivery... he was the total package and the amount of soul in his voice and passion he put into his performances is virtually unmatched.

I'd also like to add Otis Redding. There are few vocalists in the history of music that come across as emotionally invested as that man did. If all you're familiar with is Sitting on the Dock of the Bay I would highly suggest looking further into his work.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Thought the point of this thread was to say why?

Do I really need to explain why?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Jeff Scott Soto it's another excellent and powerful singer. The first scream on I'll See The Light Tonight is fucking boss.

I think we'll get along just fine. One of my favorite singers ever. 'Marching Out' is a classic album.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:30 am 

Freddy Mercury is absolutely the number 1 for me. As for people I have actually witnessed, Ronnie James Dio, and Peter Tagtgren. The high notes that Peter hits on album do not compare to how huge it sounds live.

Also, as far as combining both voice and performance, I would place Howlin' Wolf right at the top of the list. This man was INTIMIDATING in a way that Watain only dream of. Just look at this guy. His eyes are looking at your soul and draining the life out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ou-6A3MKow&feature=related

Wellbone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:25 pm 

Chino or Dio.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am 

After seeing Anneke Van Giersbergen last night it made my previous post about her all the more true. So powerful, yet lovely.

GuitarGuyNack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 pm 

Ross Dolan.You can perfectly understand every word he says even though he does death metal vocals.It's almost as if he's just speaking rather than singing even though he's not.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm 

John Fogerty.

The guy can sing like a fucking wildman (Born On The Bayou), evil and menacing (Run Through The Jungle) or utterly heartfelt and/or forlorn (Lodi, Someday Never Comes). I heard some CCR song the other day called "Pagan Baby" and was reminded how incredible he is.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm 

I was just thinking, this thread has a lack of Big Boss. This must be rectified; Such a powerful, operatic but at the same time rough voice;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7BlSu_3F4Y

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 pm 

He's definitely not the most "powerful" ever but I love Eric Hawk's voice I don't know why but I prefer him to almost any other clean vocalist.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metallic Kilt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:48 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
I'd say Graham Bonnet. That guy has a massive voice, and even John Birch commented that he was amazed at how loud and powerful his voice was. This is coming from a guy who worked with Bruce Dickinson!

I'm thoroughly shocked that someone Graham Bonnet. He is criminally underrated.

Yeah and Daniel Heiman

Candent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:19 am 

Rowan London from Virgin Black should not be neglected in this thread. If you get a chance to hear him live don't pass it up.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 am 

I think it's also worth mentioning what a sad state of affairs metal is in when somebody actually puts Jonathan Davis and Phil Anselmo on their list, who's next? Fred Durst?

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 am 

Actually, if we're talking about Power Metal/Cowboys From Hell era Phil Anselmo, I'd agree about him being a terrific vocalist, if not the most powerful singer ever. And damn, his work in The Great Southern Trendkill (rock solid album, by the way) is one of the most vitriolic and pissed off vocal performances you'll ever hear in metal. The rough, bluesy and somewhat "grungy" approach he uses in Down nowadays is cool, too.

Now, about Jonathan Davis..... I got no excuse for him. Whiniest, most annoyingly angsty dude to ever get behind a mic.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 am 

I'll concede that Phil does have his moments and i do like Cowboys From Hell but anything after that i really can't get into and i usually just skip so maybe I'm just being biased and as far as their pre Cowboys music I've never heard it so maybe there's a gem or two there as well.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am 

I'd rec you to go listen to Power Metal then. Don't be fooled by it's stupid cover though, as it's top notch heavy/speed metal in the vein of the best moments of 80's Judas Priest. Also, I believe you would do well by checking out Down, his main band. They play a brand of Southern metal which is simple, catchy, and heavy as hell in some instances.

Now, as to not stray too far in the off topic department..... What do you people think of Screamin' Jay Hawkins? The man certainly was capable of demonstrating his nickname wasn't simply that, as he was one of the loudest (if not the loudest) singers of his time.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 am 

Yeah I've been meaning to check out Power Metal after reading the reviews for it I just haven't gotten around to it yet and as far as Down goes I'm not really into the whole southern rock/metal and I remember not liking them very much but that was years ago so I will be sure to get them another shot, atleast for objectivitys sake.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 pm 

I actually believe that Phil Anselmo is an underrated vocalist (at least on the archives, everywhere else his feet are kissed). Which is strange, because I'm not too fond of grunge or groove metal, barring a few bands. But I'm probably one of the few people who prefers his tough guy shouts to his singing on CFH and PM, I just think he sounds more dedicated to sounding as rough and tough as possible than shrieking to the high heavens Halford style.

Maybe I'm just fucking retarded. XP

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 pm 

I would have to agree with you that the "tough guy" thing works for Phil better than anything else it's just that I don't think he's that great even when he does what he does best.

Azmodes wrote:

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm 

What about Ronnie Van Zant? He kinda helped "make" Lynyrd Skynyrd in their early years up until the plane crash that killed him, and (to name but one) his performance in Freebird is incredible.

In relation to Phil Anselmo though, he was really at his best on Cowboys From Hell where he combined his different vocal styles which resulted in (to me) a much more rounded performance.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:44 pm 

Candent wrote:
Rowan London from Virgin Black should not be neglected in this thread. If you get a chance to hear him live don't pass it up.

Never even remotely thought of him, he does possess a great range for an opera trained fellow Id like to see him do some more of his own stuff aside from Virgin black

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 pm 

Yeah Ronnie Van Zant was pretty bad ass who knows where American rock/metal might be today if he and a few key others had not me untimely demise.

Azmodes wrote:

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am 

re: Anselmo

I've always felt it was a shame that they moved away from the sound on CFH... songs like Shattered and The Art of Shredding instantly had me hooked when I first heard them and I think had they, instrumentally, stuck closer to that style then Anselmo's vocals would have followed suit. The Halford-esque vocals just wouldn't have fit on their following records which is why they weren't there. I'll give Anselmo credit all day for a being a great vocalist and while his style on the later records may not have been everyone's cup of tea it was exactly what the music demanded and their success is a testament to that. Dude is a total douche though.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 am 

Ronnie James Dio for me. The guy could do anything with his voice and actually sounded great till he unfortunately passed away.

I'd mention David Defeis as well if he still sounded as good as he did on the ''classic'' Virgin Steele albums. :(

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 pm 

it's in the non-metal section, so I'll add John Farnham. Not sure how he sounds these days, but in the 80s/90s his voice was strong, his range was huge, and he was a frontman to boot (although I know that shouldn't count here)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie about Phil Anselmo wrote:
Dude is a total douche though.

Back in the day? Most definitely, but during the last the decade he has chilled quite a bit (to my understanding, it has something to do with Dimebag's death). Now he's a pretty mellow guy, if also a bit crazy in his own personal way. I also think it's pretty awesome that he's one of the few prominent metal musicians who's still in touch with the underground scene.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm 

You know I've seen and been a part of a lot of Pantera bashing on this thread the past few days and I think its worth noting, for Pantera fans anyways, that while they are not the best band in the world they certainly are not the worst. I feel that the reason Pantera gets so much shit on this site and its forums is because this site has a global user entity instead of a predominantly American user base and it would seem to me atleast the the general populous of people who think Pantera is an awesome band are predominantly Americans. Most likely because they were a big part of the resurgence of American metal in the early 90's were as the rest of the world was getting to experience the likes of black metal and melo death first hand so it's not so much that we just don't like Pantera it is that they just fail in comparison. By the way I am American and I happen to believe Pantera is seriously overrated but hey to each their own.

Azmodes wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 pm 

What Pantera does is entirely different from black or melo anything, and comparing them just doesn't make sense if you're weighing them on a scale of how well they play metal. Liking one better than the other, sure, but that's just a taste thing and doesn't really involve any particular nationality nor any standards really.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm 

I was just saying that I personally feel that compared to the other genres they fail that's all just my opinion on the matter

Azmodes wrote:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 pm 

Not sure how has been in USA, but here Pantera was and still is liked for most of metalheads, being that they're still being heard a lot and/or that evokes some kind of memories of youth; at the very least there's a sense of respect for their good albums/songs and how good musicians are/were. I've only seen this constant bashing here and nothing else.

At the end, Pantera was an entry level metal band that happened to have a very 'tough guy' attitude (mostly Phil I would say) but delivered some solid albums and songs. that's all. I don't get the bashing and I've heard the 'fathers of metalcore' argument many times, but with all honestly I think Pantera was of a way higher quality than those bands who're linked to.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
By the way I am American and I happen to believe Pantera is seriously overrated but hey to each their own.

best youtube comment i've ever read on another site

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:09 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
(...) the general populous of people who think Pantera is an awesome band are predominantly Americans.

Nonsense. I can't speak for other countries, but I can safely say that Argentinian metalheads love Pantera for the most part. You should see the kind of riot that goes down in biker bars and similar places when songs like Cowboys From Hell or Revolution is my Name start playing.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm 

Maybe I should've been a bit clearer in my earlier post, in my experience more Americans are fans than other people. That's not to say that Pantera has no fans in countries other than America. Nor was I saying that they suck completely and have no good music at all, but again to each their own.

Azmodes wrote:

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm 

Robin Pecknold from Fleet Foxes. Not in a Ronnie James Dio power way, but just... argh. Fucking love that man.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next