Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm 

I met Marc Rizzo from Soulfly before a concert 2 years ago and I said that I thought he'd be taller without actually realizing it was him and then swiftly apologizing when I did. He seemed cool about that though and he high-fived me, which was something that I wasn't expecting.

Devin Townsend's one of the coolest people in person.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 am 

Oh yeah, I always thought Chris Caffery of TSO and Savatage was a cool guy until I met him a couple of times. I also heard some hilarious stories about him in regards to interactions with women but I've been sworn to secrecy :x

elude
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:01 pm 

I most recently met Michael Keene of the Faceless, and he was the nicest guy! So enthusiastic! Haha

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm 

80s metal act Banshee played a tiny bar nearby a few weeks ago and I got to meet each member. Vocalist George Call (also of Aska and Violent Storm) is actually a friend of my wife's family, but I had never met him in person. Really cool guy, we hung out and talked music and family stuff. Terry Dunn, guitarist and only original member, was really cool and grateful despite there only being about ten people at the show. I bought a copy of their first EP, Cry in the Night, off him and he seemed surprised that someone actually knew about it. I told him I thought it was a classic and the smile on his face was worth being overcharged for the ep. He put us on the guest list for the show the following night but we couldn't make it. Their bassist is Mika Horiuchi, who played with Cellador for a couple years. Nice guy, but really stuck out since he was dressed like a street punker. He pointed out that we both we were wearing Misfits merch (I had a shirt, he had a pin). I didn't really talk to their drummer Vinnie Parma though.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm 

soulonfire wrote:
80s metal act Banshee played a tiny bar nearby a few weeks ago and I got to meet each member. Vocalist George Call (also of Aska and Violent Storm) is actually a friend of my wife's family, but I had never met him in person. Really cool guy, we hung out and talked music and family stuff. Terry Dunn, guitarist and only original member, was really cool and grateful despite there only being about ten people at the show. I bought a copy of their first EP, Cry in the Night, off him and he seemed surprised that someone actually knew about it. I told him I thought it was a classic and the smile on his face was worth being overcharged for the ep. He put us on the guest list for the show the following night but we couldn't make it. Their bassist is Mika Horiuchi, who played with Cellador for a couple years. Nice guy, but really stuck out since he was dressed like a street punker. He pointed out that we both we were wearing Misfits merch (I had a shirt, he had a pin). I didn't really talk to their drummer Vinnie Parma though.

Keep in mind that Mika played for Falling In Reverse. I wish I was kidding.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:07 pm 

I talked a bit with the guys from Morgirion (or was it Morgion? Can't remember) outside the Middle East in Boston while waiting in line for Agalloch this summer. They mentioned the coincidence of how Hammers of Misfortune were also playing in Boston that night (with John and Aesop both having been in Ludicra), and I was able to get a few of the sordid details of the Ludicra breakup.

Since I brought up Agalloch, I'm Facebook friends with Aesop Dekker and while I've never conversed with him in depth, he seems pretty chill. Likes his coffee and craft beer, two things I can definitely get behind.

I chat online with Arthur von Nagel of Cormorant every now and then. Very nice person, as is his wife Amber.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Had a long drinking night with PAIN. Peter and a drummer are very friendly.
Once I had two days with PUNGENT STENCH in tour bus, all of them are nice.
ROTTING CHRIST - partly organized a gig for them, hadn't any problem in conversation, very quiet and intelligent (especially Sakis)
Had a few days tour with spanish CEREBRAL EFFUSION, there were too much interesting talkings about culture, their homeland etc, good fellas!
Barney from NAPALM DEATH is a good guy to talk with if you speaking interesting things for him
MARDUK were very tired because of Moscow airport custom service, so we didn't even tried to bother them. Cool guys, anyway.
Another cool persons to speak with wnen they're in good mood: Peter (VADER), Inferno (BEHEMOTH), Bruno (DAS ICH), all of MENTAL DEMISE.

Also I had some connections via Facebook with Ares, Morrigan and Vrolok from AETERNUS, they're awesome and intelligent people!

nahtanoj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:22 pm 

Thrasher4life wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:
Lord Serpent from Ceremonial Castings is a douchebag. When he isn't busy bragging about his wardrobe, he starts stickin his nose in everyone's face.

Care to back this up or expand at all?

This is completely false.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 pm 

I talked to the 2 guitarists of Vattnet Viskar for a few minutes after their show on Sunday and the seemed like pretty cool guys, and seemed to really enjoy playing the show and talking with people even though probably only 20 or 30 people were there.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm 

nahtanoj wrote:
Thrasher4life wrote:

Care to back this up or expand at all?

This is completely false.

He seemed nice when I met them.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:04 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Lets see, off the top of my head I've met Matti Way (Disgorge/Pathology) and asked him about his vocals, he was pretty cool even though we didn't talk too long, also met all the guys from D666 (except for kk warslut who was nowhere to be seen) at the same show and welcomed them to Denver since it was their first time there. I also met Cain Cressall (The Amenta) when they opened for Vader and we talked about Australian metal and Gorguts for about 20 minutes.

Cain Cressall is a legend i met him when seeing the amenta

i met many musicians but one who stands out for me is blake(the singer) from beyond terror beyond grace, really nice guy also the bass player from that band is nice too

Cain is so short though cool guy though

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
rant about Phil Labonte

is that you Brian Fair ??? :-D

super_ruben09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

Rhuarc wrote:
For the bad, I was backstage at a Municipal Waste gig and Ryan Waste asked if I worked there before telling me "You can get the fuck out then"
Wanker anyway....

Really? That's weird. I met him (very) briefly after a Volture gig a few months ago and he seemed like a nice guy. Some of my friends stayed longer than me and hung out with him (and the rest of the band), they told me they were pretty cool guys.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:57 pm 

Well if you're just wandering around backstage then I wouldn't be surprised if anybody told you to beat it. If I wandered into the kitchen at Chili's I'd expect the cooks to tell me to get the fuck back out to my seat.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm 

Rhuarc wrote:
For the bad, I was backstage at a Municipal Waste gig and Ryan Waste asked if I worked there before telling me "You can get the fuck out then"
Wanker anyway....

I would have just showed him the quarter ounce of pot stashed in my boot and said your loss, bud.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 am 

iAm wrote:
Rhuarc wrote:
Wanker anyway....

I would have just showed him the quarter ounce of pot stashed in my boot and said your loss, bud.

stashed in your boot? thats some smelly sock pot :p

Harrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 am 

halfformedfetus wrote:

Yeaaaaaaaaah. we dont put pot in bags or anything.. :scratch:

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:47 am 

Arthur from Cormorant, shit, all of Cormorant are super nice guys. I remember meeting the guys of Solstice (US) a couple months ago and all of them were awesome too. They wished me happy birthday on stage!

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 am 

Harrow wrote:
halfformedfetus wrote:

Yeaaaaaaaaah. we dont put pot in bags or anything.. :scratch:

ha ha it was a joke.....smoke some weed then you might realize

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 pm 

Met Hunolt and Dukes at an Exodus gig this summer, and Sakis from Rotting Christ aswell. All were really nice, friendly and fan-oriented. Also, at Metalfest here, Chrigell from Eluveitie and Markus from Ensiferum really stood out.

Will always remember Fear Factory though, they must be like the worst band ever, really pompous and they seem to think they are so good band it's beyond belief. Their guitarist actually threw picks at the end of the gig as if these were potato chips. Really arrogant. Don't know why they have fans at all, but oh well, to each his own.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm 

I met the members of Taking Dawn at a DragonForce concert when I was fourteen. We weren't able to see their performance because my friends mom was in crutches, so that slowed us down, but after the show, I ran into them and made a joke about one of their songs (could you give me the time? Is it 'Time to Burn'?). The singer high-fived me and signed the poster 'To John, cause it's Time To Burn!' They were cool motherfuckers.

I know that MetalHeadNorm talked shit about this band, the singer of Mutiny Within was pretty cool. I complemented him and he shook my hand and gave me a pat on the back.

I haven't really met any douches... yet.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 pm 

Will always remember Fear Factory though, they must be like the worst band ever, really pompous and they seem to think they are so good band it's beyond belief. Their guitarist actually threw picks at the end of the gig as if these were potato chips. Really arrogant. Don't know why they have fans at all, but oh well, to each his own.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not seeing the connection here, but how is Dino throwing guitar picks an example of being a douche. Usually, most fans at concerts would love to catch a pick from one of the guitarists as a collectable.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
rant about Phil Labonte

is that you Brian Fair ??? :-D

You try meeting him and then tell me how much of a fucking joy he is to be around. I'll wait.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone say that he's a nice guy. The people who know him from ATR think that he's a rockstar-wannabe primadonna, while the people who know him from the gun store he owns think that he's a rude, abrasive, arrogant asshole.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:36 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Devin Townsend's one of the coolest people in person.

I'd have totally bet on that. Guy doesn't seem to take himself seriously.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm 

I met Craig Locicero after a Forbidden gig, he seemed tired but was willing to talk with us. Awesome dude, talked with me and my friend about gigs he'd go and see when he was a kid and shit. Signed my Forbidden bumper sticker, ha.

John Kevill- Also a cool dude. Talked with me for a while about a bunch of stuff.

Jon Macak- Talked to him after the Diamond Plate sets both times I've seen them. Great show, and a cool dude. Talked to us for a long time, and joked around. He recognized us the second time too. Dude was so cool I bought their CD and gave them some weed money.

I also met Mark Tornillo after an Accept gig. I was hoping to meet Wolf but I didn't see them. He didn't say much to us, but admittedly, it was right as he got off of the stage, so I doubt he had much breath, and the bands on the whole were in a hurry to go after the show, as the Accept bus left the moment Kreator finished. Pretty sure they were trying to leave for the next show.

I've also heard many stories as well about Devin Townsend. My friends went to go see him, and before he even got off of the stage he was willing to talk to them and take pictures.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am 

Goldblaze wrote:
Met Hunolt and Dukes at an Exodus gig this summer, and Sakis from Rotting Christ aswell. All were really nice, friendly and fan-oriented. Also, at Metalfest here, Chrigell from Eluveitie and Markus from Ensiferum really stood out.

Not denying that Dino is an asshole, but tossing picks to the audience at the end of gigs is a pretty common practice.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 pm 

i dont like the idea of throwing picks around in a dark stage with hundreds of open eyeballs either, but i can understand the band wanting to give something for the crowd to remember them by, even if its something little like a pick. i wouldn't see them throwing guitar straps or sweat rags, i'd find that more rude than getting a pick in the eye and would probably throw it back.

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm 

I met Matt Pike from High on Fire back in autumn of 2007 when they were on tour with Mono. It was at the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, OH and we both happened to be standing outside of the venue having a cigarette, so I approached him and told him how much I loved his band and their new album at the time (Death is This Communion). He was very appreciative and shook my hand, and thanked me for the support. He had to then hurry back inside to start getting ready for the show, but the brief exchange was very cool. At the same show, I also talked with a few members of Mono as well at their merch table, but I could tell there was still somewhat of a language barrier. Extremely humble band, and one of my favorites for almost 10 years now. It was an odd pairing of bands for a tour, but seeing two of my favorite acts in one night was just fine by me.

At the same venue a year earlier, I saw Pelican and met a few of the band members before their set. They were very nice and were grateful for the accolades I gave them for their side-project Tusk, particularly the album Tree of No Return, which I still think is the best concept album I've ever heard.

I seem to remember meeting Planes Mistaken For Stars back in 2004 when I saw them at the Nautica venue in Cleveland, but I was also very drunk at the festival (Strhess Fest, I think), so I'm not really sure. I do know that I bought a t-shirt, some buttons and their latest album at the time (Up in Them Guts) from their merch table.

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Goldblaze wrote:

Not denying that Dino is an asshole, but tossing picks to the audience at the end of gigs is a pretty common practice.

You got me wrong there, I didn't say that he is an asshole because he threw some picks, but he threw something like 50 picks. Usually guitarists throw 2-3 (the ones they were using). Besides, look at his interviews on youtube, the guy seems to think he is the next Jimmy Page or Ritchie Blackmoore, very influential and all that.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:14 am 

I don't remember if I've posted in this thread before (I think I have), but here are the most recent folks I've met:

Primordial! This whole band is composed of really nice guys. I bought their (live) bassist a Jameson and we (the band and I) proceeded to get hammered together last weekend at ProgPower. I don't remember what all we talked about, but it was great.

The dudes from Solution .45 were very friendly. Not much to say other than that. Just good, personable people.

The lead singer from Lanfear was awesome! He was pretty drunk (as was I) when I met him, but I got him to do a scream, and he complimented my singing and told me I should stick with it. What a guy!

Marcus Siepen and Frederik Ehmke from Blind Guardian were really nice. Blind Guardian's my all-time favorite band, so I was elated to be able to meet these dudes.

Everyone in Seven Kingdoms that I've met is cool as hell. I've mainly talked to Aaron Sluss, and we chat sometimes on Facebook. Super nice guy.

I met Karl Sanders of Nile at the Morbid Angel concert in Atlanta a couple of nights ago. Very friendly, very humble.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 pm 

elude wrote:
I most recently met Michael Keene of the Faceless, and he was the nicest guy! So enthusiastic! Haha

Michael Keene is a great dude. We caught him after a show in LA, he obviously wanted to get out of there but he still stopped and chatted with us for about five minutes. Gave one of my friends the pick he used that night, on account of that it was his birthday.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:06 am 

Got a couple more circa tonight:

John Strachan, Chris Brock, Dan Sneddon (Early Graves): SUPER nice guys and a ton of fun to talk to; they have a penchant for road stories, but John and I got talking about first-wave metalcore and post-hardcore. Just some of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet.

David Sanchez, Pete Webber, Reece Scruggs (Havok): David was super nice and reacted with genuine amazement when I told him that I had been listening to them as far back as Pwn 'Em All, eventually giving me a pick as a goodwill token; Pete was kinda standoffish and a man of monosyllabic answers, but seemed appreciative when I complimented him on his playing while they were hauling their stuff off the stage; finally, Reece seemed to be standoffish like Pete at first until I managed to catch him and complimented him on his leadwork. He turned out to be a very mellow and down-to-earth guy.

Chance Garnett, Scott Hedrick, Evan Linger (Skeletonwitch): Like Early Graves, some of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet. We didn't talk too much, but it was clear that they were good guys.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 am 

a mate of mine met chris caffery once and asked him if he could buy him a beer. caffery said yes, sure thing bro (or something to that effect). my mate went and bought the beer and when he came back, caffery was now talking to a bunch of people. he accepted the beer from my mate then turned his back to him and didn't say another word. top bloke.

Eternal Winter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm 

I've met the guys from Warbringer. They're all pretty chill and seem like cool guys.

And i met Francesco Paoli from Fleshgod Apocalypse. Once you get around his accent, he's a nice guy. Also good for talking about tips for drumming. :)

Orbliis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 pm 

I met Steve Flynn from Atheist at the airport once. We talked about Jupiter(the album) until it was time to board.

He's pretty much the most normal guy ever. Works for Google or something.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 pm 

Orbliis wrote:
I met Steve Flynn from Atheist at the airport once. We talked about Jupiter(the album) until it was time to board.

He's pretty much the most normal guy ever. Works for Google or something.

Steve is an awesomely cool guy! When I interviewed him I was all shacking and trembling and he said some reassuring words, for me to take my time and work it out without any feeling of pressure. We talked for almost half an hour but we could've been there the whole day. Really really simple person and most of all very humble.

Steve, you rule man! :thumbsup:

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:52 pm 

I recently met Gorgoroth's Infernus and Taake's Hoest. Quite cool guys, I mean, very articulated and very friendly to my surprise...

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 pm 

First and foremost the dudes from Chimaira were so nice, Rob Arnold even remembered my name from meeting me the year before. That was the shit.

The Human Furnace from Ringworm was really nice too, surprisingly with how pissed he looks on stage.

Met Michael Keene from The Faceless and asked him to sign a poster. At first I thought he was kind of a douche because he was ignoring a lot of what everyone in line was saying, but then I realized they were going on stage in a half hour and he was about to get ready, so that's fair. He was really humble, surprising for how much talent he has.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 am 

The fellows in Napalm Death were very cool when I chatted with them outside of a very small venue in my hometown. This drunk girl had a bowl and tried offering it to the vocalist and goes, "No thanks dearie, I don't smoke up anymore."

I enjoyed it!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Got a couple more circa tonight:

John Strachan, Chris Brock, Dan Sneddon (Early Graves): SUPER nice guys and a ton of fun to talk to; they have a penchant for road stories, but John and I got talking about first-wave metalcore and post-hardcore. Just some of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet.

David Sanchez, Pete Webber, Reece Scruggs (Havok): David was super nice and reacted with genuine amazement when I told him that I had been listening to them as far back as Pwn 'Em All, eventually giving me a pick as a goodwill token; Pete was kinda standoffish and a man of monosyllabic answers, but seemed appreciative when I complimented him on his playing while they were hauling their stuff off the stage; finally, Reece seemed to be standoffish like Pete at first until I managed to catch him and complimented him on his leadwork. He turned out to be a very mellow and down-to-earth guy.

Chance Garnett, Scott Hedrick, Evan Linger (Skeletonwitch): Like Early Graves, some of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet. We didn't talk too much, but it was clear that they were good guys.

That's just the impression I get from Webber period. He doesn't seem like a dude that talks too much.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next