Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
but track listing sucks

What the fuck does this even mean?

He's probably just a wizard who can see into the future and calculate that the names of the songs don't fit the atmosphere.

Seriously, this album will be great like all their others.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 pm 

Listening to Through Silver in Blood finally. This is fucking awesome. Heavy, oceanic and standoffish - totally badass.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Listening to Through Silver in Blood finally. This is fucking awesome. Heavy, oceanic and standoffish - totally badass.

Yep. Good description

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Absolutely. Yesterday I listened to Enemy of the Sun, Through Silver in Blood, and Times of Grace straight through. It was a fucking journey.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yep. Good description

There are a lot of interesting textures on that album for sure. I've not heard it in years though. If you like TSIB, definitely check out Souls at Zero and Enemy of the Sun...they're even better IMHO. I was huge fan in the mid 90s but stopped following them after Times of Grace, which I felt was a bit of a step down...

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 am 

Is there a pre-order for this up anywhere yet? I checked neurot and their store and couldn't see it, but my internet is pretty bad so I could have missed it. I'm specifically looking for a vinyl release, maybe some kind of collectible edition. The more useless crap packaged with it, the better.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:08 am 

October 30th is the release date, so I would just keep checking the Neurot website for preorder info.

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm 

Visual Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rezrvi-IEBU&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=September+5%252C+2012&utm_campaign=NEUROSIS+Press+Release+%25233+%2528Video%2529&utm_medium=socialshare

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 pm 

I'll be glad to find out they used all that time to come up with a new approach because, evolution shmevolution, the last album was treading water.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 am 

Hope they release a real taster... So we can get some insight to how this will turn out! I heard that there will be more synth on this one than the previous ones, and that the synth will have a more prominent role. That will be very interesting to hear.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:23 am 

One thing I can say, that one single riff on the trailer is mouth-watering! :drool:

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:06 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
but track listing sucks

Bleeding The Pigs sounds like a song from some goofy teenage grindcore band

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

Sounds like, well it doesn't sound like that to people who don't listen to goofy teenage grindcore bands. And what's wrong with the rest of the songs titles!?

"u sir r a idiot!"

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Dude, they also have a song called 'Burning Flesh In Year Of Pig'. What does that song sound like?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:16 pm 

Well, I kind of agree with him actually, none of those song titles sound like what I would have expected from these guys. I'm still fairly new to em but yeah, seems a bit of a disconnect. I'm sure it'll be at least worth a try though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 pm 

So:

1. We All Rage In Gold
2. At The Well
3. My Heart For Deliverance
4. Bleeding The Pigs
5. Casting Of The Ages
6. All Is Found… In Time
7. Raise The Dawn

I'm not psychic or anything but according to these track names and the reports I've been seeing, that teaser above included, this album seems to be going in a more visceral route that will probably touch society and its current issues more than the individual self on an introspective manner. At least that's the vibe I get from the little bits of info I've seen and heard.

Tracks' 1 and 4 names come out as punkish in attitude to me, as if they wanted to attack some specific social issues rather than being all esoteric. Track's 3 name comes out a bit awkward for them indeed but the rest seem rather usual for the band.

And by the way that song, "Burning Flesh In The Year Of Pig", is about... burning flesh! The "pigs" here might be a metaphor for either the regular people or the other spectrum of it, the big fat cats that rule society. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this goes!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:55 pm 

They could call all of their songs "Doo Doo Brown Like Whoa Dude Brah" for all I care.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:58 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
They could call all of their songs "Doo Doo Brown Like Whoa Dude Brah" for all I care.

:lol:

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 pm 

ha, I second the :lol: on that post. The sound titles....seem fine. Really don't see how they would seem weird or different for Neurosis. Maybe a few interesting choices but after all, shouldn't they be interesting? ;)

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 am 

The whole album is going to be different, as said earlier, it will feature more prominent synth.

The titles are different, but they ARE good.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am 

When I think of Neurosis I remember cool album names like Enemy of the Sun, Souls at Zero, Through Silver in Blood etc and song names like Suspended in Light, To Crawl Under One's Skin, Stones from the Sky, Enclosure in Flame, Become the Ocean etc. I expected better song titles, that's it. I am a big fan of them and I don't care for the name of the songs if the music is good. So it really doesn't matter that I don't like the song titles because I still have real high expectations form this album and hope it will be one of the best of the year.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 pm 

It seems that they're using samples again from films and such. I remember them saying that they were just going to do spoken word samples themselves from now on. Can't wait for this.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm 

Track posted up! At The Well

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/ ... t-the-well

Not sure whether to listen now or wait. Dunno if I can wait though...

They played it live when I saw them last year but haven't listened to it since.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
Track posted up! At The Well

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/ ... t-the-well

Not sure whether to listen now or wait. Dunno if I can wait though...

They played it live when I saw them last year but haven't listened to it since.

Fuck me sideways! :o

Their use of dynamics is brilliant as usual and the song is so very Neurosis that it leaves no doubt about the upcoming quality of the album. That burst of rage by the fifth and seventh minutes is something. There are also some admittedly new elements, pretty much as it is described in the track review, that seem very interesting and give the song a somewhat fresh approach. I'm eager to see them over the course of the entire album. That fade out near the end is also indicative of something turbulent coming afterwards in the tracklist, at least it gives me that impression.

Now to wait another month for it. :grumble:

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:09 am 

Shit! I'm sure Honour Found In Decay will be the best release of 2012 for me. The song sounds like Neurosis, but it still sounds different than the material on their previous albums. That's what makes Neurosis so awesome, they never make the same album again. Glad I already pre-ordered the 16-page booklet version of the album.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:53 am 

juusokult wrote:
Shit! I'm sure Honour Found In Decay will be the best release of 2012 for me. The song sounds like Neurosis, but it still sounds different than the material on their previous albums. That's what makes Neurosis so awesome, they never make the same album again. Glad I already pre-ordered the 16-page booklet version of the album.

Where did you pre-order? It's not on Neurot recordings yet.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 am 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
juusokult wrote:

Where did you pre-order? It's not on Neurot recordings yet.

A recordshop in Finland called Recordshop X. Here's a link http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/neurosis/honor_found_in_decay/#cd-1

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 am 

According to Neurot preorders will begin Oct 15.

Also, the new track is killer.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 am 

Yep, that's Neurosis alright. They always come up with new ways to keep their music fresh, can't wait for the full album.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 am 

The first couple of minutes are boring as hell. It picks ups a lot with that cool keyboard break. Decent song, but that's all.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

Well, that was great. Haven't heard Von Till shout in a long time, feels good. Massively heavy, smooth dynamic, Neurosis are back.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:23 pm 

This should be a good first Neurosis purchase I'd say.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:19 pm 

Song sounded Neurosis-fresh, I dig. Wonder how it will sound in the context of the complete album...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 pm 

Yup, awesome as expected. The keyboard parts are excellent, I'd actually think that one part was real bagpipes if it wasn't mentioned on the npr thing that it wasn't. Kind of makes me think of their last two record with some really cool new stuff as well. Can't wait for this to come out.

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm 

I'm diggin' it. Will be another Neurosis purchase for me.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm 

Seeings as how Neurosis is releasing a new album shortly I thought now would be a good time to discus the influential and genre bending band. I was introduced to this legendary band through their genre bending classic Through Silver and Blood which sounded to my young ears like the sound track for a bad acid trip. The music was epic crushing and beautiful all at the same time. I am not the biggest Neurosis fanboy i respect their legacy but do not love and praise all their records. i have more to say and will in time but would like to hear others opinions and thoughts on the band.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm 

After Times of Grace, I stopped paying attention to them. I'm sure they did some interesting stuff here and there after that but my musical tastes were changing and expanding at the time plus I felt like it was a real step down from previous work. Souls at Zero and Enemy of the Sun were their best IMHO, but I haven't heard them in years. I should probably buy copies of them in the next couple of months to revisit them. Through Silver was my introduction as well and felt like everything I was looking for at the time (97 or 98).

biggedge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm 

Good timing. I just happened to be reading asmox' review of TSIB yesterday, and I think it is my favorite review of all time. That's all I got.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 pm 

I'm not very good at describing music so I'll just relate what I know.

Neurosis has been one of my favorite bands since I heard Enemy of the Sun in high school after it came out. I thought it was really weird and scary, but eventually I picked it up and got into it. Soon after, I got Souls at Zero and I thought it was even better - one of my desert island albums to this day. I didn't like Through Silver in Blood much when it came out, but after seeing them on that tour in a tiny ass little club, I was sold. In hindsight, all of their albums kind of have that effect on me at first, then I begin to appreciate what they're doing on subsequent listens. In those days I paid attention to all the lyrics and every musical part of the album, and thereby those early albums became very meaningful to me due to the things I was dealing with.

Basically they're always a blind purchase. I would say that their weakest of the modern era is Given, it just feels like a bunch of songs. However, they have a great thing going soundwise with Albini, especially on Eye of Every Storm. It's every bit as good as the 90's material and the most cohesive, though the previous one where they started that direction is not far behind. Eye has that flow, and the amazing parts musically and lyrically, that I like best about the 90s material.

The Word as Law is a good one for me too, in that you can see where they are going. It dosen't have the brow beating intensity but it's very intelligent and well played.

And for all that, I've only listened to Times of Grace with the Grace CD playing once. My girlfriend at the time got me the Grace CD but I didn't manage to give it the attention it deserved.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 pm 

The first time I heard Neurosis was 5 years ago. They were one of the suggested videos on a Mastodon video. It was the live performance of Locust Star at the '96 Ozzfest. I didn't think much of it really, the guitar was too simplistic for me at the time. I couldn't get why the song was good. However after a while I kept seeing people talking about them online and started listening to Times Of Grace. I gave it about a month but I just couldn't get into it at all. After a while I started listening to Through Silver In Blood. It only took a short time... I was hooked.

Started listening to the rest of their discography. I listened to these for so many months. Nothing else would do. My favourite era would have to be the "middle era" with Souls At Zero, Enemy Of The Sun, Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace. I would have to say that Through Silver in Blood edges it. Just everything flows so well with Purify being my favourite Neurosis song. I also love the later ambient years but I just love the raw aggression more. I still haven't listen to their first too but I will because I'm into hardcore punk more these days.

Have still yet to listen to Times Of Grace and Grace together. I have the double CD edition with the two together from Neurot but I still haven't been bothered to get a second CD player. But I should really sometime! My favourite band I'd say. Looking forward to the new album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next