Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am 
 

samekh wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Oh, and try Ereb Altor, the first two albums are epic doom, perfecting the Bathory sound on the second. The third is, to be honest... a bit disappointing.


A bit disappointing is an understatement in my opinion. The third album is a travesty on the Ereb Altor name.

Stormheit is another band kind of similar to Bathory's epic period, but with some NS lyrics and worse vocals.

Nah, it's a musical and direction change, I thought the album was still excellent, solid riffs and solid songwriting. Not as good as The End though and I don't know why they decided to change towards a bm sound, there's enough bands playing this kind of stuff right now.
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am 
 

samekh wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Oh, and try Ereb Altor, the first two albums are epic doom, perfecting the Bathory sound on the second. The third is, to be honest... a bit disappointing.


A bit disappointing is an understatement in my opinion. The third album is a travesty on the Ereb Altor name.

Stormheit is another band kind of similar to Bathory's epic period, but with some NS lyrics and worse vocals.

Nah, it's a musical and direction change, I thought the album was still excellent, solid riffs and solid songwriting. Not as good as The End though and I don't know why they decided to change towards a bm sound, there's enough bands playing this kind of stuff right now.
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2755
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 am 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Nah, it's a musical and direction change, I thought the album was still excellent, solid riffs and solid songwriting. Not as good as The End though and I don't know why they decided to change towards a bm sound, there's enough bands playing this kind of stuff right now.


Yeah I know we're you're coming from Metantoine, it is a good album on its own. I think everybody is going to compare it to the first to which will more than likely see it getting marked down in comparison. I too am baffled at the change as there are not enough doing epic Bathory and as you said plenty doing this stuff. :scratch: . Worst of all Ereb Altor were one of the better at this style.

Top
 Profile  
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm 
 

Well it's definitely not a bad album, but they had such a great thing going on the first two, it's just a pity that that's the end of it. Epic doom isn't a particularly big genre, but black metal is, and now there's one less good epic doom band, and one more black metal one -among thousands, not to mention trading in the powerful vocals for rasping. To put it another way, there weren't many better albums than By Honour and End in their style, but there's plenty way better black metal albums out there than Gastrike.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2755
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:22 pm 
 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Well it's definitely not a bad album, but they had such a great thing going on the first two, it's just a pity that that's the end of it. Epic doom isn't a particularly big genre, but black metal is, and now there's one less good epic doom band, and one more black metal one -among thousands, not to mention trading in the powerful vocals for rasping. To put it another way, there weren't many better albums than By Honour and End in their style, but there's plenty way better black metal albums out there than Gastrike.


Very true Balor, my thoughts exactly. On a brighter note I think Bloodshed Walhalla is working on the follow up as we speak and so is Sig Ar Tyr so there is still some light at the end of the tunnel.

Top
 Profile  
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 am 
 

Hell yeah! I was worried it would just be the one from Bloodshed Walhalla, this is great news mate.

Top
 Profile  
u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 467
Location: Bangladesh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am 
 

Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/witch_possessed

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?


You could try Viikate. Their actually melodic heavy metal with schlager influence, but they have a couple of folky vibes as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BauEcsPjhpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNQje0Txas
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 pm 
 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?


anything by Kauan ... vocally similar to Viikate, but ten times more moody.

Marțolea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pZKPFiyho

Нежеголь [Nezhegol']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqd7bnYdxmY

Tevana 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fv_CleWOL8

Winterdome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7OOMdhNNc

伏羲 [Fu Xi]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxxDzN7npqc#at=40

Mael Mórdha
http://youtu.be/w7f4OsMGKNE#at=158

Libra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhIhsZP7MgM
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти


Last edited by Erotetic on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
brandon1986
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:11 am
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 pm 
 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?


try empyrium http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Empyrium/2345

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210ZIUPfUK4

Top
 Profile  
Sharkuu
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm 
 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Is there any depressive folk metal band? Folk metal band whose main theme is melancholy instead of vikings, pagans or beer drinking and partying?

The Mist And The Morning Dew
Uaral (The music leans more towards folk than metal though)
Forest Of Shadows is a folk-influenced death/doom band, folk influence is most prominent on the ''Where Dreams Turn to Dust'' release
Estatic Fear
And Primordial has a few depressive songs, The Coffin Ships being the best example
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Sharkuu

Top
 Profile  
Suffersystem
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm
Posts: 922
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm 
 

gimme some shit like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBILpaT ... re=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6fyu3N ... re=related (same song but yknow.. yeah)
folky shit that'll remind me of how disappointed I am for not living on middle-earth
_________________
Tumblr / Last.fm
Xa'ligha - Lovecraftian Dark Ambient
CorpseFister wrote:
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Top
 Profile  
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
 

This is pretty awesome. Makes it all the worse that they broke up. And it's seemingly impossible to get a hold of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwmd0-3e_no

Top
 Profile  
VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 51
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:40 pm 
 

Anyone know of any folk in the vein of Woods of Ypres' "Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth?"
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/FeedingWhatIAm

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1122
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:49 pm 
 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
This is pretty awesome. Makes it all the worse that they broke up. And it's seemingly impossible to get a hold of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwmd0-3e_no


Fuck, Morrigan broke up?!?! That just ruined my day. I love that band (especially the first four albums). Unfortunately I never got the split with Abigail.

Top
 Profile  
SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 am
Posts: 46
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:12 pm 
 

I enjoy Slavic, Nordic and Mid-Eastern Folk Metal. I have never heard any Folk Metal bands with a Mediterranean/Southern European sound. Think of a Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/whatever Temnozor, that is what I am looking for. However any solid Southern European Folk Metal will do.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm 
 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I enjoy Slavic, Nordic and Mid-Eastern Folk Metal. I have never heard any Folk Metal bands with a Mediterranean/Southern European sound. Think of a Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/whatever Temnozor, that is what I am looking for. However any solid Southern European Folk Metal will do.


how about the Triarchy of Vasconia* split release Iluntasunaren Itzulera?

*Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa, and Ilbeltz. (the latter two have since released their debut LP; Ilbeltz would probably appeal most, though Aiumeen Basoa's album is better than their offering on the split release)
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm
Posts: 485
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 am 
 

Ilbeltz' album is absolutely amazing
_________________
I'd call you a cunt but you lack the depth and warmth

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 493
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 am 
 

ok i dont care too much where its from coz im from nowhere near eroupe,but i have been enjoying isengard and would like to know of some more bands like them
.have been recomended some other bands but they dont have that raw budget recording kind of sound isengard have.
im new to this music and have a punk background so dont get to in to the over produced stuff with heaps of keyboard and stuff if ya know what i mean.i do still like that pagan feel with the music,but maybe just a bit more raw

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm 
 

Holy smokes! I don't care who you are, I just found one of the best folk metal albums ever made. I don't really know how well known they are. There are two reviews for his debut album. Anyways the band is Tengger Cavalry and the album is Cavalry Folk. I seriously urge everyone to listen to the first track, Galloping Steeds, and try to tell me I'm wrong.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 am 
 

bloodycumshit wrote:
ok i dont care too much where its from coz im from nowhere near eroupe,but i have been enjoying isengard and would like to know of some more bands like them


Storm (Nor), Skald (Swe), Vanaheim, Myling, Naastrand (Fra), Fjörd, Ahti, Horde Thor, Peste Noire (Fra), Stirnagard, Belenos (Fra), Nachtfalke, Lönndom, Ulveheim, Myrkraverk, Sorgsvart
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 493
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 am 
 

Erotetic wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:
ok i dont care too much where its from coz im from nowhere near eroupe,but i have been enjoying isengard and would like to know of some more bands like them


Storm (Nor), Skald (Swe), Vanaheim, Myling, Naastrand (Fra), Fjörd, Ahti, Horde Thor, Peste Noire (Fra), Stirnagard, Belenos (Fra), Nachtfalke, Lönndom, Ulveheim, Myrkraverk, Sorgsvart


thanks

i too am from nz

edit:guess you new that already new that from my "location" under my name

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 am 
 

bloodycumshit wrote:
i too am from nz

edit:guess you new that already new that from my "location" under my name


didn't notice, TBH :)
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 977
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm 
 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I enjoy Slavic, Nordic and Mid-Eastern Folk Metal. I have never heard any Folk Metal bands with a Mediterranean/Southern European sound. Think of a Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/whatever Temnozor, that is what I am looking for. However any solid Southern European Folk Metal will do.

Haha I was actually thinking of posting exactly that request earlier today.

Seconding Aiumeen Basoa, I also can recommend Hordak from Spain, check album The Last European Wolves. Abit like spanish Forefather. You might also enjoy La Caruta di li Dei from Italy, but the production on keys and drums is horrible.

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1122
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 pm 
 

Slag wrote:
Holy smokes! I don't care who you are, I just found one of the best folk metal albums ever made. I don't really know how well known they are. There are two reviews for his debut album. Anyways the band is Tengger Cavalry and the album is Cavalry Folk. I seriously urge everyone to listen to the first track, Galloping Steeds, and try to tell me I'm wrong.


Heh, pretty cool stuff. I like the use of throat singing, though it sound as if all of the vocals are delivered that way.

I'd probably buy this album but it's a bit pricey ($36 after shipping for a double-CD sent snail-mail from China).

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm 
 

Yeah, it is definitely a hefty price. I ended up ordering it and a t-shirt from the guy, who was very helpful with figuring out the appropriate shirt size (since asian sizes is different). All of the money is going directly to him, though, so I don't really feel like I'm losing much. He seems like an extraordinary talent and I have no problem supporting his musical endeavors.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 am 
 

samekh wrote:
Slag wrote:
Holy smokes! I don't care who you are, I just found one of the best folk metal albums ever made. I don't really know how well known they are. There are two reviews for his debut album. Anyways the band is Tengger Cavalry and the album is Cavalry Folk. I seriously urge everyone to listen to the first track, Galloping Steeds, and try to tell me I'm wrong.


Heh, pretty cool stuff. I like the use of throat singing, though it sound as if all of the vocals are delivered that way.


another Chinese band used it to good effect, too:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgLrg2cuADA#at=33
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1159
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 pm 
 

Can anyone recommend to me some folk/pagan metal similar to the most recent Moonsorrow album? Thanks.
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 am 
 

^hah Nice. I actually don't think the music is all that special though.

analog_winter wrote:
Can anyone recommend to me some folk/pagan metal similar to the most recent Moonsorrow album? Thanks.
There is actually a thread about this one band, called Ildra, that is apparently very alike to Moonsorrow. I actually don't them, but they seem to be highly recommended.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1159
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm 
 

Slag wrote:
^hah Nice. I actually don't think the music is all that special though.

analog_winter wrote:
Can anyone recommend to me some folk/pagan metal similar to the most recent Moonsorrow album? Thanks.
There is actually a thread about this one band, called Ildra, that is apparently very alike to Moonsorrow. I actually don't them, but they seem to be highly recommended.


Well, to each their own, I really enjoyed the new album. I'll give Ildra a listen some time and see if I like them.
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 pm 
 

Snap, I left out a word there. I meant to say that 'I don't actually know them.' So I can't speak to their (Ildra's) music's quality.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: British Indian Ocean Territory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am 
 

Looking for the most polka-ish folk metal imaginable.
_________________
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just games.

Top
 Profile  
HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: British Indian Ocean Territory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 pm 
 

Anyone?
_________________
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just games.

Top
 Profile  
ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 am
Posts: 38
Location: United Arab Emirates
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:50 pm 
 

I want to know a band that plays in a style similar to Eluveitie. Basically I want a fusion of folk music and melodic death metal but I don't want something too fast. Maybe 130 - 175 BPM if possible.

Top
 Profile  
Screwby
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 pm 
 

I have a pretty wide perspective, to be honest I am not really sure of what I am looking for.

Some of my favourite bands are Bathory, Moonsorrow and Primordial, I also love Dordeduh's latest album 'Dar De Duh'. It's hard to find bands that have the same uniqueness like these. I do love pagan metal with black metal origins, but I despise humpa folk metal and folk/pagan metal with happy melodies and singing (I think that is pretty clear with my favourite bands).

I prefer shrieked black metal vocals, but I do like clean if it's performed "properly" (Primordial, Agalloch).
Something that really blew my fucking mind out was the vocals on 'Black Lake Nidstång' by Agalloch, really tormented and eerie vocals.
Epic song structures and long songs are no minus.

I am full aware of that my description aren't reallt that specific, but I gave some examples of what im looking for.

I would appreciate some help!

Top
 Profile  
ColeMiner
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 am
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 am 
 

Love those vocals on 'Black Lake Nidstång' as well.

I'm guessing you are familiar with Negura Bunget. If not you must give them a listen.

Top
 Profile  
Screwby
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am 
 

Negura Bunget is in the top of my list aswell :)
Thank you anyway!

The search continues...

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Looking for the most polka-ish folk metal imaginable.

Maybe you'd be into Kromlek?.. I'm just finding out they split up this year. :(
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 pm 
 

ExNoctemNacimur wrote:
I want to know a band that plays in a style similar to Eluveitie. Basically I want a fusion of folk music and melodic death metal but I don't want something too fast. Maybe 130 - 175 BPM if possible.
I'm not really a fan of Eluveitie, but these guys, Abinchova, might do it for you. If not I would honestly just advanced search "melodic death metal/folk metal."
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 855
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:59 am 
 

Screwby wrote:
Negura Bunget is in the top of my list aswell :)
Thank you anyway!

The search continues...


don't think it has anything to do with your current search, but all Negura Bunget fans should check out their side project Marțolea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ2m-lqNTw#at=89
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group