Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 am 

Not metal... But Circa Survive's new album was released some weeks ago and I finally gave it a listen, LOVED IT! Some post-rock influences into the mix, and everything else just as good as I expected, Circa does not disappoint.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:14 am 

Black Breath - Sentenced to life was AWESOME.

Feast of the damned is one of the best metal songs i've heard all year. Killer tone and memorable, addictive songs.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 pm 

Rumplestiltksin Grinder's new album Ghostmaker sounds really, really good so far. If you like Skeletonwitch, this band (especially their newest one) should be up your alley.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:02 pm 

I enjoyed the new Grave Digger. I'll have to go back to it.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 pm 

Anyone mentioned Resugency - False Enlightenment?

Though I hate the cover art, it's some raw, powerful death metal I'm finding to be an enjoyable listen.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm 

I think, that at this point it's quite safe to add the In The Silence debut, since it's pretty damn awesome :)

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm 

Putrevore - Macabre Kingdom

I Finally gave this a thorough listen and it kicks so much ass. Huge Rottrevore influence but isnt strictly a worship band as i first noted. Absolutely crushing stuff.
Thanks again for name dropping, Misfit

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:10 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:

I Finally gave this a thorough listen and it kicks so much ass. Huge Rottrevore influence but isnt strictly a worship band as i first noted. Absolutely crushing stuff.

Cool, glad you like it. I was surprised to find out just how good it was, especially after thinking some of the other, similar albums we've been discussing would stand above the rest. This album is as good as any of them and will compete as my favorite. We're getting spoiled with all these great new OSDM releases. :)

chaos_aquarium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 am 

Half Blood by Horseback
Possession by Christian Mistress
In Somniphobia by Sigh
De Vermis Mysteriis by High on Fire

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 am 

Listened to the new Grave Digger album today, the best and worst part about the band is that you pretty much know exactly what to expect. Still a very good album though. Its worth picking up a copy with the bonus tracks "Saints of the Broken Souls" was one of my favorites. Also "Charon" makes me wish they would do a folk album, that was an awesome intro.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:

Cool, glad you like it. I was surprised to find out just how good it was, especially after thinking some of the other, similar albums we've been discussing would stand above the rest. This album is as good as any of them and will compete as my favorite. We're getting spoiled with all these great new OSDM releases. :)

Is this a vinyl only release?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

nile_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 am 

Testament's Dark root of Earth
Rush's Clockwork Angels

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am 

Ex Deo's "Caligvla". I call this the "Agony" (fleshgod apocalypse) album of 2012 due to the use of symphonic elements and death metal.

Ereb Altor - Gastrike (easily said, Bathory worship)

Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm 

Pretty much no one mentioned the new Naglfar. I think it's their best one in terms of overall songwriting and production. Just well made, catchy, melodic black metal.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Both, but vinyl released ahead of CDs as explained by the band/promotion/label. I don't know if both are currently available or not. What I heard was from vinyl.

vanadiis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm 

Zonaria's new album Arrival Of The Red Sun is fucking killer.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Both, but vinyl released ahead of CDs as explained by the band/promotion/label. I don't know if both are currently available or not. What I heard was from vinyl.

Ah, thanks. I went to order this on Xtreem and only vinyl was available. I don't collect vinyl so I'll have to wait for the CD version. I'll certainly be buying this when it's out. Thanks for clarifying. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Ex Deo's "Caligvla". I call this the "Agony" (fleshgod apocalypse) album of 2012 due to the use of symphonic elements and death metal.

Is it any good?

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm 

Slag wrote:
InfernoxDeath wrote:

Is it any good?

It caught my attention with its entire "ancient roman-era" theme. Album art is one of it as well, which was done by Seth Siro of Septicflesh.
I really like the symphonic arrangements on it as well, and i feel this is a better release than their debut.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 pm 

Carach Angren - Where the Corpses Sink Forever

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 pm 

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not (I think I have), so here's some of my favorite albums of 2012.

Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God
I loved Nucleus when it came out, and I think Sun God is even better. Sun God feels much more consistent as an album than Nucleus IMO; the standout tracks on Nucleus really stood out, whereas Sun God, due to its consistency, took a few more listens to coax out the peaks and valleys. And I love albums that do that, because it gives you a reason to go back.

Pharaoh - Bury the Light
This album surprised the hell out of me, because most melodic power metal is bland and ball-less. This is neither; Pharaoh have some truly impressive songwriting chops and an ear for unique melodies that don't sacrifice the riffs. Most power metal I like is closer to traditional heavy metal; Bury the Light does not fit in that category, which is why this album was such a present surprise.

Chapel - Satan's Rock and Roll
I haven't seen ONE mention of this album in this thread. Shame on the lot of you! This is badass, riff-filled black/traditional heavy metal, in the same vein as Midnight and Speedwolf. It is physically impossible to listen to Hell Breaks Loose and not headband. Seriously, try it.

Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis
This album has been mentioned multiple times in this thread already, so you should all already know what it is. Pure, unrelenting, aggressive black/death. Every last second of this album is vicious.

Proclamation - Nether Tombs of Abaddon
Speaking of vicious, how about some bestial black metal? I've only heard one other Proclamation album (2008's Messiah of Darkness and Impurity), and this is definitely the better album. Pure black filth of the best kind.

Summoner - Phoenix
I might be biased in favor of these guys because they're from Massachusetts, but fuck it, this album is awesome. Psychedelic stoner doom with plenty of catchy riffs. Good mix of atmosphere and doominess.

Black Pyramid - II
Another band from Massachusetts that I might be biased in favor of. This album actually made my end-of-year list last year, but the official release date was in January, so it's making a repeat appearance. More stoner doom, but without the psychedelic influences of Summoner; this album is just straight up riffs.

Wrathprayer - The Sun of Moloch: The Sublimation of Sulfur's Essence Which Spawned Death and Life
The bestial tones of war metal mixed with the atmosphere of Necros Christos and Father Befouled. Can you really go wrong with that? The Sun of Moloch is the sound of your soul being consumed by a black impenetrable chaotic mass, never to return. It took a few listens to fully sink in, but this album is an experience.

Katatonia - Dead End Kings
This is quite possibly my favorite Katatonia album. I was a fan of the changes in direction they made on Night is the New Day (Frank Default really adds a lot to their sound), but the execution wasn't what it could have been; the album's standout tracks are fantastic but there was just as much filler. Dead End Kings has no filler; even the weaker tracks have something that stands out about them, and the stronger tracks are utterly incredible. The Parting, The Racing Heart, and Lethean have some of the best choruses I've ever heard out of Jonas Renske.

Young Hunter - Stone Tools
These guys came out of nowhere. They piqued my interest when they did a west coast tour with Cormorant (of whom I'm a huge fan), and Stone Tools wound up blowing me away. They're another psychedelic doom band, although more on the psychedelic side than Summoner (it seems Young Hunter aren't even on MA, although I'm not sure whether that's for musical reasons or because no one has submitted them).

Honorable mentions go to Pallbearer, Dodecahedron, and A Forest of Stars, any of whom could move up the list upon further review.

---------------

Other thoughts on 2012:

-I've only listened to Clash of the Gods once, but I was disappointed. I do plan to revisit it, but it didn't have quite enough of the aggression that I look for in a Grave Digger album.
-I was very excited about the new Weapon, but the two songs they've released don't inspire much confidence. They're not as musically interesting as the stuff on From the Devil's Tomb, and the production has been cleaned up a little too much IMO. Hopefully a listen to the whole thing will change my mind.
-On a different note, the preview for Desolate Shrine's The Sanctum of Human Darkness has me VERY excited. I don't know if it's coming out this year but it could be near the top of my list if it is.
-I'm currently listening to The Burden of God by Nightmare. I doubt it'll make my EOY list but this is very solid. I hear some Grave Digger, some Pharaoh, and some Symphony X in their sound. Definitely a solid album.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 pm 

I haven't heard as much stuff as I would usually hear, but some of my favorites have been Christian Mistress, Gojira, 16, Overkill, Asphyx, Aura Noir, and Goatwhore.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am 

Hel's Das Atmen der Erde is great album, recommended for all people who are into paganmetal.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Pretty much no one mentioned the new Naglfar. I think it's their best one in terms of overall songwriting and production. Just well made, catchy, melodic black metal.

I completely forgot about Teras. I loved Harvest, not sure if it's better than their last, but still solid swedish black metal. An extension of his arm and will is definitely one of their best songs though, some of the other tracks left less of an impression on me though.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Hel's Das Atmen der Erde is great album, recommended for all people who are into paganmetal.

Thanks for this. It compliments the uptempo Batavi by Heidevolk quite well. Almost like the two albums are distant cousins.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
Young Hunter - Stone Tools
These guys came out of nowhere. They piqued my interest when they did a west coast tour with Cormorant (of whom I'm a huge fan), and Stone Tools wound up blowing me away. They're another psychedelic doom band, although more on the psychedelic side than Summoner (it seems Young Hunter aren't even on MA, although I'm not sure whether that's for musical reasons or because no one has submitted them).

I second this album. It will definitely end up in my top ten, hell probably top 5. They're a lot more rock than metal tho, I think that's why they're not on MA. They have a great unique sound, and I love the whole desert rock influence and feel of the album. Highly recommended.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:52 pm 

gotta add Cobolt 60's "The Grim Defiance"! Excellent black/thrash!

takar_blackangel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:24 pm 

I'm 75% through Witchcraft's Legend and I must say it very well could make my top 10. It absolutely blows The Alchemist out of the water. We're getting more focused songs, more memorable riffs and some awesome, very powerful vocal here and I absolutely love that.

Otherwise, I'm still looking into much of 2012. Putrevore, Carach Angren and Dodecahedron, for instance, are still on my backlog. However, Katatonia's Dead End Kings, Agalloch's Faustian Echoes, Be'lakor's Of Breath and Bone, Dawnbringer's Into The Lair of the Sun God and Ne Obliviscaris' Portal of I all left me with my jaw on the floor and those will most likely carve themselves a place in my "2012's best albums" list.

I'll certainly go through this whole thread and listen to a few more albums in the following weeks, so those albums up there might get bumped off.

If memory serves me well, 2012 wasn't shaping to be all that great when it began, but so far I am very very satisfied with what I've heard. And the upcoming weeks could very well be awesome since Anaal Nathrakh, Aeternam and Gris (Yeah, Sepulchral Prods confirmed it on their Facebook page) are releasing new stuff this year.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:33 pm 

I wanna see some new releases from some underground bands. Not bands that have been around for like 20 years. I only care about original releases from those kinds of bands usually. Also, no more bands that aren't original (like this swedish death metal revival stuff).

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:00 pm 

That's nice.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm 

Epicardiectomy - Abhorrent Stench of Posthumous Gastrorectal Desecration
Amphibian - The Toxic Frog Room
Been playing Brutal Death Metal/ Goregrind a lot lately.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I wanna see some new releases from some underground bands. Not bands that have been around for like 20 years. I only care about original releases from those kinds of bands usually. Also, no more bands that aren't original (like this swedish death metal revival stuff).

Check out Hellwell then.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Your criteria is extremely vague.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:34 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Well, aint that cute

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:36 am 

Al-Namrood's Kitab Al Awthan has been pretty good. I only heard it once so far but it's at the level of Estorat Taghoot, I think. Really great black metal with oriental influences everywhere. There's also a story (in broken English) in the booklet about what the album is about, plus English song titles. Really great stuff which I'm sure a lot of people here would enjoy.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 am 

So I just previewed Wormfood's Decade(nt) and it sounds pretty good! Basically a re-release of their first album Eponym with some live stuff and covers at the end. I wouldn't mind picking this up. It would make up for Posthume, that's for sure.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:21 am 

I just listened to Dystopics by Diskord who someone mentioned in the FFA and I have to say, it's fucking great. Less catchy than Autopsy but maybe more faceted I'd say.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 am 

I liked the first Diskord a lot more, has a better, if still flawed production

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 am 

Spinning Spectral Lore's Sentinel (gotta love alliteration) right now. Really, really weird stuff. Hate mentioning them all the time, but they sound a bit like Krallice, at least in terms of wild, winding tremolo riffage, but a lot more mythical and grandiose. Really fascinating stuff.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 pm 

New Illdisposed album is really cool, check it out if you're into Melodic Death Metal with some good grooves and low pitched vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCVnSbcjF1c for fans of Disbelief, Hatesphere, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy, etc

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 36  Next