Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
the Hour Of Penance fans might like this ( The End Of All Reason) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NL-uBJ1_4Q the album was recently released on September 14, digital format only for now... Really good stuff!

Do you think their Metal Archives genre listing of Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore it is accurate? I liked the first little bit of it then it devolved for me. Rapidly.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:25 am 

brain hammer wrote:
Thank you both for the recs. The first Gigan album sounds interesting.

You're welcome. I'm glad you like it. Don't discount the follow-up, either. I hope they continue to make interesting death metal like that in the future.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:58 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Machine_Dead wrote:
the Hour Of Penance fans might like this ( The End Of All Reason) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NL-uBJ1_4Q the album was recently released on September 14, digital format only for now... Really good stuff!

Do you think their Metal Archives genre listing of Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore it is accurate? I liked the first little bit of it then it devolved for me. Rapidly.

well, their first release (the mini-album) is pretty debatable concerning the genre they're taking, it had kind of a deathcore production and feel to it, although when you go looking for any deathcore elements you would practicly find none. No breakdowns, no hardcore vocals, no group shoouts, no djent-ish/vibrating guitar tone, no pumpy guitar rhythms,... yet somehow you kinda get reminded of All Shall Perish - The Price Of Existence for the way they mix up melodic elements with technicality. And for the new album can assure you, they really stepped it up a couple of notches and went for the technical/progressive death metal path.

So to answer your question, if there would happen to be a change of genre on their MA page. then i'd put something like; (technical) melodic death metal (before) and technical(/progressive) death metal (later)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm 

I'm looking for fairly recent death metal releases with very organic, natural production. No triggered drums, overly compressed tracks, excessive multitracking or noticeable protooling. As an example, Drawn and Quartered - To Kill is Human, or the Splatterhouse album I was recommended earlier (thanks!). One of my favourite productions is Immolation's Here In After, and of course None So Vile.

In other words, quality death metal without the lifeless production style that has run rampant these last years.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

Does there exist black/death metal bands depicting WWI and II concepts? Basically bands similar to Panzerchrist and newer God Dethroned.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Does there exist black/death metal bands depicting WWI and II concepts? Basically bands similar to Panzerchrist and newer God Dethroned.

I used advanced search for you and found:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sturmtiger/122416
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nek ... aust/42826
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Infernal_War/14386
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Skavinjer/95825
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Torchbearer/12891

Many such bands probably don't have "world war" in their lyrical themes, merely "war" or something.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

I used advanced search for you and found:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sturmtiger/122416
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nek ... aust/42826
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Infernal_War/14386
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Skavinjer/95825
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Torchbearer/12891

Many such bands probably don't have "world war" in their lyrical themes, merely "war" or something.

Thanks! Although to be fair I already knew a good number of those bands which was why I posted here. Thought someone just might have something different.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for fairly recent death metal releases with very organic, natural production. No triggered drums, overly compressed tracks, excessive multitracking or noticeable protooling. As an example, Drawn and Quartered - To Kill is Human, or the Splatterhouse album I was recommended earlier (thanks!). One of my favourite productions is Immolation's Here In After, and of course None So Vile.

In other words, quality death metal without the lifeless production style that has run rampant these last years.

Binah - Hallucinating In Resurrecture (2012)
Putrevore - Macabre Kingdom (2012)
Resurgency - False Enlightenment (2012)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:54 pm 

I have the Binah album, and it's not at all what I'm looking for. It's extremely produced, with massive (probably very multitracked), polished guitar sound, artificial plastic drums sounds complete with one of the clickiest bass drums I've heard in a while. The mix is crystal clear, every instrument is very audible and clearly defined, and there's not a trace of murkiness or mud in the sound, and not even the smallest bit of any illusion that the tracks weren't all recorded separately in about fifteen hundred takes each. I'll give the others a listen but... Do you have any idea what Here In After sounds like, for example?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm 

The best I can think of is Sonne Adam's debut, although that would probably be nothing new to you.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:08 pm 

That's also somewhat too overproduced for my request. The mix is again crystal clear, whereas I want quite a bit of mud. The guitar tone is unrealistically thick and massive, and the drum sounds are too neat, if you get what I mean.

Or do you mean the EP Armed with Hammers? I haven't heard that one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That's also somewhat too overproduced for my request. The mix is again crystal clear, whereas I want quite a bit of mud. The guitar tone is unrealistically thick and massive, and the drum sounds are too neat, if you get what I mean.

Or do you mean the EP Armed with Hammers? I haven't heard that one.

Now that you say it like that I think you should pick up the EP. :nods:

I'll post other names if they come to mind.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:22 pm 

Thanks. I'll check the EP out.

By "fairly recent" I meant something made in the last ten years or so, it doesn't need to be from this decade. To be fair the year of release doesn't in any other respect but that early 90s releases tend to have certains production styles that I don't like. Thin guitars, very dry drum sounds, or those gated snares with added reverb. I'm looking for full-bodied drum tones, particularly.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:44 pm 

What your opinion on Sepsism's latest (2009)? It may have a slight polish but I think you'll enjoy it. I know you said no triggers but how about Ulcerate's debut? It doesn't abuse them and has quite the full sound on the drums.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

The Ulcerate album is definitely not what I'm looking for. It's slick, clear and smooth all around. I haven't heard any Sepsism.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 pm 

Yeah, it is indeed. Although I do love the drum sound on that one. :p

Try Distorting The Mortal Visage though, could go either way but it's worth a shot.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 pm 

Hard for me to understand the request...sounds like you just want poor or shitty production, more or less. I have to wonder how many bands don't record track by track rather than together at once these days...or in the past 20 years. ;) Maybe some more info? I'll give it another go, however.

How about:

Enmity - Vomit Forth Intestinal Excrement (2008).

Sepsism is fantastic. That's a great rec for anyone. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 pm 

He wants muddy stuff but with a full sound and little to no digital trickery. Namedroping Here In After made it easy. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Hard for me to understand the request...sounds like you just want poor or shitty production, more or less. I have to wonder how many bands don't record track by track rather than together at once these days...or in the past 20 years. ;) Maybe some more info? I'll give it another go, however.

How about:

I'm not looking for shitty production - do you think there's absolutely nothing in between Binah and Enmity? If Binah is natural production to you, what do you consider overproduced? It's also not important how the recording was done - what's important is that the record gives the illusion of a live recording, as for example None So Vile, Here In After, To Kill Is Human and all those other great albums I suppose you've never heard then.

You could say that Majesty And Decay, for example, isn't heavily overproduced, but productions such as that are still far too polished for my request. As far as Immolation records go, CtaWB crossed the line I think. Failures For Gods still had that mud and grit.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

How about:

I'm not looking for shitty production - do you think there's absolutely nothing in between Binah and Enmity? If Binah is natural production to you, what do you consider overproduced? It's also not important how the recording was done - what's important is that the record gives the illusion of a live recording, as for example None So Vile, Here In After, To Kill Is Human and all those other great albums I suppose you've never heard then.

I have heard of None So Vile. I was challenging myself to find something very recent that would fit your description at first. Then, I realized that I may know some older albums that fit. Finally, I realize that this is a very good question that I don't know the answer to. This results in a fun challenge to come up with some that could fit. I thought Binah was a dirty-sounding album intentionally done to have more of a raw feel to it, thereby fitting your question fairly well. The Binah album is a significant contrast to what, for example, Puteraeon's Cult Cthulu album gives you. I wonder if analog vs. digital is applicable to this question? Krisiun's new one is done analog, yet has a very nice, clean, yet heavy production uniquely done with all analogue equipment. Sounds like there are a ton of variables here. I'll be interested to follow this thread and see what people come up with.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm 

You said it yourself, Binah is intentionally made to sound raw, which in the end comes out sounding unnatural. Much of the new old school sounds like that and I guess that's the whole point of the request, to find something that doesn't.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 pm 

Perhaps Binah has quite abrasive sounds in comparison to mainstream metal releases - emphatic snare, very heavily distorted guitars, booming bass. It's not raw in the slightest though, and mix is one of the clearest I've heard in a while. I'm looking for sounds that are, raw or not, as unartificial as possible. The drum sounds must resemble the sounds of a live drum kit as closely as possible, and the guitars must not be unbeliavably thick and layered like Vorum or something. I could've specified in my first post that the overall sound must not be excessively clear.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm 

Undergang, maybe?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:

This sounds good indeed. But far from Hour of Penance. More technical approach here.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 am 

Can anyone rec me something pretty much exactly like Defeated Sanity's "Chapters of Repugnance" album? I know quite a few brutal death bands, so don't rec anything too well known, thanks!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Undergang, maybe?

I sampled the debut album, it was rather good. Not exactly the thing I had in mind (as in, not raw enough, I suppose), but still a vast improvement over most modern death metal production wise. Thanks!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Glad you dug that Splatterhouse record! If you can track down their demo, split with Birdflesh, and split with Gruesome Stuff Relish they're all worth having and have a very consistent sound. Pretty sure the demo is impossible to find (isn't even on the archives) but I'd be happy to up the tracks for you if you'd like.

As for your request, if you're in the mood for some top notch Bolt Thrower worship then definitely check out War Master. I haven't heard their new LP but the Chapel of the Apocalypse demo and Thrones of Tyranny ep's production should be right up your alley.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:14 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Can anyone rec me something pretty much exactly like Defeated Sanity's "Chapters of Repugnance" album? I know quite a few brutal death bands, so don't rec anything too well known, thanks!

Disgorge (US)
Sepsism
Decaying Purity

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Undergang, maybe?

I sampled the debut album, it was rather good. Not exactly the thing I had in mind (as in, not raw enough, I suppose), but still a vast improvement over most modern death metal production wise. Thanks!

You're welcome, glad you like it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:12 am 

Hey Ilwhyan, concerning your early request, have you heard !T.O.O.H.!'s second album? It has little to do with the polished and triggered affair that is Order And Punishment, in fact it's pretty raw sounding and the drum snare and cymbal crashes in particular sound great. Maybe you could give that album a go?! I think you might enjoy it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 am 

androdion, I haven't. I only have Řád a Trest. Thanks, I'll put that on my to-listen-to list.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:03 am 

^ I have that album and yeah, production is far less polished than their latest one. Still really good, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:12 am 

MikeyC wrote:
^ I have that album and yeah, production is far less polished than their latest one. Still really good, though.

I actually think that Pod Vládou Biče is the best album they've made, everyone raves about Rád A Trest and Kali so many times but I wonder if they've ever heard the rest of the band's discography. The ten minute closer "Já je proto proti" is something else.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 am 

androdion wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I actually think that Pod Vládou Biče is the best album they've made, everyone raves about Rád A Trest and Kali so many times but I wonder if they've ever heard the rest of the band's discography. The ten minute closer "Já je proto proti" is something else.

It's a tougher listen, but ultimately worth it. I think Rad A Trest deserves its accolades, too.

Haven't heard the first one, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

I may have a few recommendations for you, though some will be older than the last decade, but will fill your requisites as for what you're after I believe. So here goes:

Armoured Angel. This recording is from 1992, some it will be outside the time frame you asked for, but what the hell, this is some damn good, gritty death metal from Australia.

Anatomy. Again from Australia, we have this band, which is from 1993 (sorry about the time period mate...). Not sure how you will take this one, but it's damn good anyway.

Psychrist. This is from 1999, and Australian (again), but this monstrous album reminds me of (later) Immolation to a point, and whilst not overly raw, it still contains a fair chunk of grit and grime.

Embrace Of Thorns. This band is from Greece, and is fairly raw, but still powerful, and grim death metal. Really good stuff. This has some serious, grim atmosphere to it, with a gravelly guitar tone and menacing vocal work. I highly recommend this album in particular. The follow up Praying For Absolution is equally (though more vicious) good.

Ritual Torture. To be fair this is a demo, so the raw sound goes hand in hand, but I can't let this one go by unmentioned as it's fucking awesome. Crushing, stellar death metal with excellent songs to back it up. Recommended!!

Lantern. From Finland I give you this two piece, whose ep is among one of my favourite ep's of late. Really good, cryptic stuff. The rawer production helps this recording a lot, as I couldn't imagine this done any other way.

Sanguis Imperem. This is pretty barbaric stuff here, but it's good with it, and nice and rough.

There are more I would mention, but you may already be familiar with them (Grave Miasma, Cruciamentum, Claws, Impure Worship, Zom etc), and they also may not be pertinent to this request.

EDIT: Damn right Mikey! Killer shit indeed.

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:19 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Anatomy. Again from Australia, we have this band, which is from 1993 (sorry about the time period mate...). Not sure how you will take this one, but it's damn good anyway.

Psychrist. This is from 1999, and Australian (again), but this monstrous album reminds me of (later) Immolation to a point, and whilst not overly raw, it still contains a fair chunk of grit and grime.

These two = :thumbsup:, especially Psychrist.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:31 am 

MikeyC wrote:
It's a tougher listen, but ultimately worth it. I think Rad A Trest deserves its accolades, too.

I've heard them in reverse chronological order and for a long time I thought that !T.O.O.H.! was all about the sound on Rád A Trest. It was a shock to me when I recently purchased their first couple of albums then, the rawness and craziness on them is on a really different level altogether. The compositions are much more complex and less streamlined, the production sounds much more natural (although on the debut it tends to be a bit too raw for its own sake) and although their typical melodies are there they aren't as prevalent as on Rád A Trest. I don't know but I think they have a little something that Rád A Trest fails to achieve, a bit of a Contrastic feel at times probably.

I still think that Rád A Trest is good but having listened to the remaining discography I tend to prefer the early records now, mainly their second album.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:34 am 

androdion wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I've heard them in reverse chronological order and for a long time I thought that !T.O.O.H.! was all about the sound on Rád A Trest. It was a shock to me when I recently purchased their first couple of albums then, the rawness and craziness on them is on a really different level altogether. The compositions are much more complex and less streamlined, the production sounds much more natural (although on the debut it tends to be a bit too raw for its own sake) and although their typical melodies are there they aren't as prevalent as on Rád A Trest. I don't know but I think they have a little something that Rád A Trest fails to achieve, a bit of a Contrastic feel at times probably.

I still think that Rád A Trest is good but having listened to the remaining discography I tend to prefer the early records now, mainly their second album.

Fair enough. Their sound is a lot rawer, at least on their second one, but I still really like the third one.

I'm curious to see what they'll come up with now that they've reformed again.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:36 am 

Oh, that I am as well! Especially considering they don't have a label behind them again, which was the case on their first couple of albums. ;)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:43 am 

androdion wrote:
Oh, that I am as well! Especially considering they don't have a label behind them again, which was the case on their first couple of albums. ;)

Yeah, exactly. Only time will tell, but I'm confident of something good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 289  Next