* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 am 

Stolen directly from facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... t=1&ref=nf

So a new album named mysterium in 2013 and a bunch of reissues. Ofcourse im looking forward to the new album. The Hellwell was a definite step up compared to playground which was never close to matching Voyager although it was still a decent album. I also dont own Metal yet. Ill prob get most of these reissues i dont have yet.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am 

Fantastic! Instant purchase for me.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:11 am 

Great! Can you share more details, I don't have a facebook account.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am 

I'm very curious and a little nervous. Three albums in rapid fire succession is a daunting task, but if anyone's up to it it's my personal lord and savior Mark Shelton. I definitely agree that Hellwell is better than Playground, but I've found that they work really well together. Listening to one usually makes me want to put on the other for some reason, like two halves of the same weirdo coin.

You've got to get Metal man! Cage of Mirrors and Queen of the Black Coast are two of their best songs ever, and the others are no slouches. Enter the Warrior's main riff sounds like a drunk (and possibly injured) viking loping into a battle. edit: On further reflection I'm almost sure you've heard the album even if you don't own it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am 

I hope Out of the Abyss is among the albums to be reissued, I can't find that one for a reasonable price.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 am 

Playground ruled, and Hellwell reminds me of like Courts of Chaos 2012 XL or something, man... Which is awesome!

This is the actual message from Facebook:

"MANILLA ROAD - New Record Deal in Europe!
We are happy to announce that we have a signed with Golden Core/ZYX for Europe. I know that most Manilla Road Fans would have expected us signing with one of those (great and important) underground labels or at least with one of those long-lasting metal companies, so to some it must appear to be an unusual choice. Fact is that their labelboss is a Manilla Road fan since the eighties and he really wanted to sign us. That´s very important for a band (or it should be!). On the other hand Golden Core is a very strong and powerful label within the company ZYX, who have a perfect distribution system. Releases like Running Wild, Wacken DVDs/BluRays/CDs, Subsignal, Megahertz and ex-Accept singer U.D.O. hit the German charts. Golden Core will also guarantee strong promotion activities that are being handled by the agency CMM.

Golden Core/ZYX will not just release the new album MYSTERIUM in early 2013 but also the whole back catalog (except of two albums). Some of the classic releases will contain bonus tracks. "METAL" is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, "Crystal Logic" in 2013.

For the record: During the last 12 years most of the Manilla Road CDs (new and reissues) were import items here in Europe. Even the world gets smaller and smaller it means that many CDs weren´t released in Europe. Same with "Playground of the Damned". With the new deal you will soon also find the CDs in European shops and not just in online shops or through mailorder companies.

The official press-release by CMM was sent out today to all the media.
PS: High Roller Records will go on handling the vinyls of Manilla Road, also in future!"

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:07 am 

YES!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 pm 

Wow, that's pretty fast. I'm wondering what the new one will be like, given that each Manilla Road album tends to be pretty distinct...the name hearkens back to Mystification, so is it going to be another Poe-themed power/thrash album? Or is that just a coincidence? Anyway I'm definitely looking forward to it. Shelton hasn't let me down yet.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:04 pm 

Killer news, I loved Playground of the Damned so I'm looking forward how this will end up. I got a couple of the LP reissues, but I can't keep up :(. Should get Spiral Castle soon though, probably my favourite from their newer ones.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:42 pm 

Import items "here" in Europe...did they relocate? So the new album will be an import in the States.

I get it, it looks like they want to be "bigger"...just seems a lot of talk about distribution channels. BTW, the current reissues from Shadow Kingdom are easily obtainable.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:14 pm 

Yeah, I'm not too sure what this means in regards to Shadow Kingdom Records. Will that still be the band's North American label, I wonder?

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Yeah, I'm not too sure what this means in regards to Shadow Kingdom Records. Will that still be the band's North American label, I wonder?

I doubt it or surely they would have been mentioned. All this talk of charting is silly. Also inferring Running Wild albums are easy to find is kind of funny too.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 pm 

It's weird the band would jump ship so quick from SKR when they've been releasing so much stuff on that label lately.

Hope it works out for the best though

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 am 

Good. They're one of the gaping holes in my collection, so this will be a good chance to start seriously collecting them.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 am 

Cool mang. Starting to get into these guys, hopefully it's in the vein of Mystification or Voyager :) and not in the vein of Metal :( Definitely check it out and I'll have to snap up Open the Gates with it too.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 am 

ogmetal wrote:
Import items "here" in Europe...did they relocate? So the new album will be an import in the States.

I get it, it looks like they want to be "bigger"...just seems a lot of talk about distribution channels. BTW, the current reissues from Shadow Kingdom are easily obtainable.

That was posted by the drummer Neudi, who is German. I imagine SKR will still handle distribution in the US.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:35 am 

Yeah, they confirmed that Shadow Kingdom will still be doing the exact same stuff for them in the US. Same with High Roller doing the vinyl releases.

Caspian, I can't imagine them ever doing something in the vein of Metal again, so don't worry. :)

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 am 

What in gosh darn tarnation is wrong with Metal? Enter The Warrior is a great song! I listen to it each morning when I need to get my gallop on.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:05 am 

waiguoren wrote:
What in gosh darn tarnation is wrong with Metal? Enter The Warrior is a great song! I listen to it each morning when I need to get my gallop on.

Aye, it is an awesome album with many classic tracks. That album actually has my favourite Mark Shelton vocals. But maybe it's too primitive for something similar to be seen in 2013.

And the band messaged on their Facebook page saying they are still with Shadow Kingdom Records, so that's cool.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 am 

Metal is probably my least favorite MR album other than the debut, but I do understand its appeal among those who like proto-metal and hard rock; it's just not really my style. Enter the Warrior is a cool song, though. My favorite Shelton vocals might actually be on MotB; despite the fact that it's not one of my favorite albums, his tone is just so raw and emotive on that one.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm 

MotB was actually the first Manilla Road I listened to and when I later heard Atlantis Rising and Spiral castle, I was floored. Shelton has always had quite the knack to transcend sug-genre limitations and create a quickly distinctive mood and style for each record. Looking forward to the new one.

Haven't listened to Playground yet but the Hellwell album is one of my personal bests for 2012!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 pm 

You gotta listen to Playground. It's quite old-school.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm 

i actually find it odd that caspian doesnt really like the metal considering it sounds a bit more psychedelic and everything.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 pm 

Yeah, the psychedelic and progressive influences are what I love most about the first four albums (After Midnight, Invasion, Mark Of The Beast, Metal). Obviously Metal was more metallic than the previous three, but you're right, it does sound more psychedelic than what came after.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i actually find it odd that caspian doesnt really like the metal considering it sounds a bit more psychedelic and everything.

He thinks any kind of 70s rock is for old men or something.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 am 

It's just a bit of a nothing album really. It's a bit psychedelic but not psychedelic enough, it rocks but not hard enough, it's not very metal, it's just not.. anything.

..And yes a lot of 70's hard rock/proto metal isn't my cup of tea at all haha, which doesn't help. Unless if it's particularly heavy or crazy enough I'm not really interested in anything from that era 8)

Not to worry though bros, I do like a lot of other Manilla Road, thus preserving it's holy loved-by-everyone-on-MA status.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 am 

Shelton sounded great on Open the Gates when he wasn't using his normal singing voice, and even sounded decent on some of their newer material notably Voyager when he hit those falsettos (if that wasn't the newer guy that is). I would worship at the feet of this band and own every album if the poor fellow didn't suffer from chronic laryngitis, lord knows they make incredible heavy metal but I just can't get fully into their material in spite of owning all of their pivotal albums. Great news though and I'll be sure to pick up some of the reissues when they are released.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Diamonds_and_Rust
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:36 am 

Manilla Road rules! so a new album is more than a great news!

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 pm 

great news. Manilla Road and Darkthrone are the only two metal bands that could put out a release every year and keep sounding fresh!

And new Darkthrone in 2013 too! THE UNDERGROUND RESISTANCE!

metalboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 am 

Ill get it.Love Manilla Road.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:15 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
great news. Manilla Road and Darkthrone are the only two metal bands that could put out a release every year and keep sounding fresh!

And new Darkthrone in 2013 too! THE UNDERGROUND RESISTANCE!

Shit the year hasn't even ended that the next one sounds damn promising.

spacelordjones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:33 pm 

Manilla road has certainly gained momentum over the past few years, they definitely deserve it!

Really looking forward to the re release of "Metal". One of my personal favorite releases, though I can see how its not for everyone. Some bonus tracks/ alternate takes would be killer.

........And "Cage of Mirrors" is a trip, even by Manilla Road standards.

Last edited by spacelordjones on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 am 

always happy to hear from Manilla Road. Nary a bad record....they're all fresh and will stand the test of time! Playground was a bit old school...they've always been "old-school" but you remember the brave epic motions of "Atlantis Rising" and "Spiral Castle" that bled down a bit to "Gates Of Fire" and heavily on "Voyager"?
I'd like though if they took an approach similar to "Mystification" with this one. That record took me the longest time to apprecaite but when it clicked...it was LOVE!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:09 am 

I actually agree with caspian here. I'm not big on the first album either, I've always felt that it was Crystal Logic where they found their way. Having said that, any reissue of Manilla Road is good news by me.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

wasn't too pleased with playground of the damned, but i'm eager to hear any new material that is released. manilla road's quality and track record is almost unparalleled in metal.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 pm 

Manilla road is gaining momentum because people are slowly realizing that it is the best band ever.
Yes

Actually more seriously. I think several factors helped make manilla road and similar sounding bands more popular. Its festivals like kit, their never dying fanbase in greece, Helstar touring constantly in europe and the old school metal "revival".

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm 

Sweet. This means I should listen to more than only the couple I have then.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 pm 

You definitely should. After hearing Voyager today (my final MR album), I've come to the conclusion that all of Manilla Road's albums are amazing in their own way.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 am 

There is a reason I'm snatching up the original pressing vinyls now... before they get way too expensive for anyone to buy them... the increasing popularity should make my collection skyrocket in value.

But I am so freaking excited for another album. Playground was a bit of a let down for me. I would love to hear something on par with Voyager or, even better, Gates of Fire.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm 

Anyone see the new artwork for the reissue of "Metal"?

http://www.hrrecords.de/high_roller/sit ... php?id=302

OCTOBER 19th

Can't wait.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next