Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:12 am 

Hello everyone, maybe this is the 10th time that string gets broken at same position. I really need help, I could buy a new guitar If that guitar is hopeless to get fixed. All help is appreciated.
The guitar is Cort X1 it's not the best, but I've recorded some stuff using it, it wasn't that bad.
Edit : It was broken when palm muting on master of puppets main riff (as usual, most of the times it was broken when palm muting).
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am 

How long has that string been on the guitar before it broke? Do you play especially heavy handed? What gauge of strings do you play?

There's a million different things that can cause a string to break, is the metal especially jagged where the string is laying?
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm 

First please put that pic in a spoiler window, second wear sweat bands, I used to go through a pack of strings a day cause I sweat so much and PM almost constantly, the sweat would ooze down onto the base of the string and erode them terribly, that may or may not help but it certainly made a difference for me, I can't even remember the last time I changed strings.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm 

The string is being over-stretched. Either you're applying waaaaaaaay too much pressure when palm-muting or you're using incredibly cheap, bad quality strings. It also could be that the saddle is too low (it looks like one side is higher than the other).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm 

What's that white strip on the string?

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 pm 

The string has been for around one month maybe a little bit more, the white strip is something that was recommended for me before to protect the string from sweating palm, the string is Ernie Ball 0.048 , the saddle is high actually. I don't know, I am thinking of selling it and buying some better one.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 pm 

Have you tried filing out the saddle? Often, there will be very small rough or tight spots that you don't really see or feel that put enough strain on the string to break it after it moves around there for a while. Find a very thin, round metal file and work on it a little bit.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
The string has been for around one month maybe a little bit more, the white strip is something that was recommended for me before to protect the string from sweating palm, the string is Ernie Ball 0.048 , the saddle is high actually. I don't know, I am thinking of selling it and buying some better one.

Honestly a month of constant playing seems reasonable. I play my bass generally 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes and break the lowest string roughly that often.

A sweat band, if you're getting a lot of moisture on the strings, is not a bad idea. Not sure what the white strip deal is about but I'd say file the area on the saddle where the string is laying down a bit as a precautionary measure and see if that makes a difference... trying a heavier gauge of strings might not be a bad as well.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm 

I don't think that it's a filing issue.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm 

If you are breaking your string only once a month, that is completely normal. If you are playing guitar regularly(6+ hours a week), then that is to be expected.

FYI: If you are playing guitar frequently, I suggest, as does every serious player and instructor I have worked with in my 13 years of playing stringed instruments, that you change your guitar strings every 2 weeks(every 4-6 weeks for bass). Doing so will not only improve your tone, but it will improve your playing, as strings lose their tension over time, and the response you get off of your pick changes. Having good strings on your guitar will ensure that your technique is consistent.

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 am 

I've got guitars with strings over 3 years old that haven't snapped yet. Do you stretch your strings properly when you put them on?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:05 pm 

Oil down your fretboard and "pull" your strings once you've changed them. If you're like me and sweat pure battery acid, wear a sweatband to reduce corrosion when playing live or under intense light.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:39 pm 

i had occasional strings snapping when i was playing guitar for not that long but these days strings last me forever and i play several hours a day pretty most days of the week and im not very gentle either.

I guess there is something that rubs against your string somewhere that makes it snap. The picture aint loading for me btw.

JerryLeeEx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 pm 

Get some graphite or roller saddles. I used String Savers saddles on a guitar I had back in high school when I was having the same problem and it never happened again.

Reply to topic