Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Melkor_Grimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 am 

This is my latest project. I'm attempting to do something a little different here, combining influences from Cradle of Filth, Marilyn Manson, and gothic rock to create something new. This is just a short snippet of the song as I haven't finished recording it yet. The vocals are just a demo, I'm going to re-record them properly when I get time but any feedback on my vocals and the song in general would still be much appreciated!

http://soundcloud.com/abysmaldirge/goth-metal-rock-song

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am 

Hey Melkor: I feel like you've got a real good idea of the sound you are trying to go for. The vocals still aren't quite there, but I don't think the problem lies with the performance per se. They are too far out front, they need to be sitting into the music much more in my opinion. I once heard a tip from a sound engineer that the snare hit and the vocals should be at approximately the same volume. Obviously this is not a rule that can be applied indiscriminately, but it has come in handy for me on a few occasions.

I like the doubling of the vocals, though, and I think that goes some ways towards strengthening them compared to some of your other SoundCloud efforts. Also, it is a tried-and-true fact that adding some overdrive to your vocals can smooth out an uneven performance, maybe worth experimenting with?

Melkor_Grimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 pm 

Hey, thanks for your feedback and response. For the final version, I am planning on mixing the vocals better. I realise they are a little to loud in the mix at the moment.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is overdrive? Is it an effect? Like a distortion pedal?

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:10 pm 

Yeah man, overdrive is kind of similar to distortion as they are both some sort of clipping applied to the original signal. I think the following image does a good job of explaining the difference between the two: http://www.gmarts.org/pix/fx/fx_clip1.jpg. Overdrive is more of a "soft clipping" while distortion is more of a "hard clipping". If you are using a modern DAW, there's a good chance you have one or the other as VST's you can easily apply to your vocals.

Melkor_Grimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:31 am 

Thanks man, I'll definately look into getting one of those!

Here's an updated version of the track if anyone else would like to check it out:

http://soundcloud.com/abysmaldirge/goth ... ng-updated

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:25 am 

I know this thread is old but I honestly think this is great!

Melkor_Grimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 am 

Thank you, I appreciate it!

lachygonzalez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 pm 

If your looking to merge Industrial, Goth, and Black Metal, I suggest you listen to Moonspell. They successfully merge many of those genres together

Reply to topic