Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:03 pm 

Seeing as how ZZ Top is putting out their first album in about nine years, I'm rather curious to hear takes on the band overall. I only have Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres at this point though the latter has become a big favorite of mine. I'll probably check this one out after a good listen or two and maybe snag some copies of Eliminiator and Deguello along the way.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:10 pm 

I heard the singles or whatever a while back and thought it was pretty boring. They said this would be a return to form although I still don't feel it's as authentic as the first albums were. Great band, but they've fizzled out into a shell of themselves.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 pm 

if you dig those two album you already have i would definately recommend their first album "zz tops first album" and deguello and tejas. pretty much their first five releases are the shit... havent really given anything past eliminator a listen, and what i did check out really didnt prompt me to dig any further. i had no idea they were puttin out a new album though, thanks for the heads up!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 am 

Love the band. Or well, at least parts of them. You can't go wrong with 70s ZZ Top. All the albums are stellar, even if there are weaker tracks on some of them. I really like even the more countryish Tejas. The three 80s hit albums though... There are some really great songs there - Tube Snake Boogie, Sharp-Dressed Man, Rough Boy, I Got the Six, Got Me Under Pressure - they're pretty dull albums in general. Especially Legs off of Eliminator is pretty embarrassing (and yes, I know they didn't write it) though so is most of Afterburner. Fortunarely they picked up at the beginning of 90s again, with the more of a throwback to the 70s but with the harder and heavier sound of the 80s Recycler and the generally well-written Antenna. Especially Recycler is a spectacularly strong album in terms of songwriting. And if you ignore the two songs tacked on at the end by the label. Burger Man and Doubleback - while good, catchy and fun songs as well - are more of a throwback to Eliminator with their hit-seeking properties. Can't say I'm too fond of what they've done after that. Some good songs on the later albums, but nothing very spectacular and the sound has been a bit too modern for my taste. I'm not too keen on hearing anything new from them. I doubt it'll be something that I'm interested in.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:50 pm 

Ah, I did some research and it would appear that the new album was produced by Rick Rubin. Well that would explain why it might sound like shit.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm 

ZZ Top are a great band, but I'd prefer their old songs more.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:35 am 

i like a bit of zed zed top, la grange is awesome, i should look up some more

Reply to topic