Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:41 am 

After doing some extensive research on these stones, and considering the message they send, I can honestly say I am super intrigued by the idea it presents. Who else has read about them, and what do you think about the "10 rules" or whatever you want to call them. Lots of mystery surrounds them of course. Nobody knows who payed to have the built, but the work of the geometry is super complex, with all the workings of the sun and alignment of the stones. Written in 8 different languages, plus 4 ancient languages on the "explanation stone". There a ton of theories on these things, and a lot of religious groups (mostly christian) have been lobbying to get them destroyed. Lots of people fear its the "New World Order", and much other conspiracy theorist type ideas. Anyway. here is the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

the 10 rules are as follows

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

Thoughts???

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 am 

These laws are all pretty standard and not particularly interesting, to be honest. It's like erecting some stones to declare that rape and murder are wrong.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 am 

Some hippy(ies) erected some monument anonymously and wrote feel-good hippy "laws" on them. And this is significant because...?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 am 

It doesn't say anything new, and I don't agree with some of it (particularly the first few), but I kinda like the idea of a monument to reason and balance after a lifetime of seeing nothing but monuments to religion and warlords. It feels refreshing.

All of the supposed "mystery" around it makes me laugh, though.

LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
These laws are all pretty standard and not particularly interesting, to be honest. It's like erecting some stones to declare that rape and murder are wrong.

Standard? How many nations/people do you know that live by these "standard laws"?

I mean I don't really agree with some of these... like the first one, I understand the need for population control, but I dunno who the fuck came up with 500 million as the answer... I'd like to see the research that led to that number. I also understand the immediate dismissal of the whole idea, and expected it. Although the hippie labeling made me lol, such a negative light on the push for peace. I don't think I'd ever see myself as a hippie, but I am all about world peace, its kind of amusing to see how many people think of that as a joke (and a bit sad).

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 am 

LeeKiing26 wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:

Standard? How many nations/people do you know that live by these "standard laws"?

Other than the very specific population limit, these kinds of ideals can be found basically everywhere.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 am 

...like advocating eugenics? Where, particularly?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:53 am 

It was a pretty common sentiment in the early 20th Century.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 am 

I guess I feel like that megaphone in the desert is a more interesting, not to mention cooler, "who dunnit".

They're like a crop circle. I end up just staring at it, at a loss and kind of not caring how they got there or what kind of weird Mormon Rothschild version of a Dr. Bronner vision-ranter got them there. Seems like a lot of cost for not much result. But if there's one thing people need, it's a band wagon. Even if it means eugenic genocide couched in "chosen few in harmony with the divine" type shite. People are .. SO fucking weird.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:33 pm 

The one that gets alotta stupid people all worried is that first one "maintain population under 500 million" which we're waaaaaaaaaayy over and unless drastic changes happen soon, it's not gonna get anywhere near that number anytime this century. But personally, I believe everything written in those stones are pretty cut-and-paste rules for how to not fuck up your home. too bad the vast majority of us will never follow half those rules though... so it's essentially a giant waste of stone.. how ironic.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 pm 

I feel that if we take 10-15 quotes by the greatest scientists, artists, poets, free thinkers, humanitarians we would have a better list than this one. I dont like the list at all because its written in some wired language that doesnt really make you feel that BAM effect like - "An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching".

I dont really care who wrote it or who decided to have a monument for it - its not really effective.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

hahah .. i like how the Georgia Guidestones is just kind of one big, expensive, esoteric meh.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:28 pm 

Reads like a former hippy became a Libertarian later in life.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 pm 

Why is 500,000,000 in balance with nature? That's an oddly even number.

The doofusses who created this likely felt they were among the genetically fit and diverse 500mil deserving of existence, likely indicating that in reality they are not.

GTog wrote:
Reads like a former hippy became a Libertarian later in life.

Sounds about right.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Why is 500,000,000 in balance with nature? That's an oddly even number.

Well, technically it said under 500,000,000. :-P

Anyways, this thing seems a bit silly to me, but I guess I'd give it a visit if I was ever in the area.

autonomous_deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm 

Thought i would re-post the guidelines again for all the people thinking this has anything to do with current laws or "hippie" ideals. You couldnt be further from the truth and if you disagree, wait till you graduate high school before commenting on anything you think. Most places around the world practice the exact OPPOSITE of each guide posted, except MAYBE the world court thing, which you could still argue is a failure because of the PEOPLE running it, not the ideal. Really if we could just enforce guidelines number 1 and 10, i think the rest would fall into place. I mean, just look at guideline #7. You cant tell me that we are currently using that rule in any nation.

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.l
2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm 

The first commandment is to by undisclosed means eliminate the majority of the human population and the second is a call for eugenics. That is inherently exceedingly suspicious.

Anyway, taken one by one or all together, any or all may or may not be good ideas, but in this form arranged in the way they are, as an anonymous monument in the middle of nowhere with obvious religious overtones, these cannot be taken seriously as meaningfully prescriptive policy advice or a call to action, but only as self important phrase mongering for the gratification of a likely unsocial artist. I'm not aware of any effort to expound on these guidelines, translate them into practicable action, or take that practicable message to the masses.

Reply to topic