Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CelticWhisper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm 

Been replaying DooM and DooM II on GZDoom with the "Brutal Doom" mod (well worth a play if you're into old-school games with a shitload of gore and savagery added in) and would like to supplement the experience with some metal. Not that the music already featured isn't good, but metal would complement the added brutality nicely.

Unfortunately, searching "lyrical themes" for "doom" turns up a lot of bands who play music about general themes of doom and despair, and not specifically the computer games called "DooM." I did find Revenant, but they have no releases to their name.

I'm looking for either metallized remakes of official DooM in-game music or original songs written about the games, their events, demons, locales, etc. Not going to be very picky here, since the novelty factor is enough. Of course, quality is always important but I know this is niche stuff so beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:33 pm 

Bobby Prince sampled from metal and rock bands in creating the soundtrack to DooM and DooM II.

This video demonstrates several of these songs.

Slayer and Pantera have had several songs sampled from by Prince. The composer knew precisely how much of a song he could sample without incurring copyright infringement. He's been doing this long before DooM as well.

But I find several bands to fit DooM, not just the ones sampled by Bobby Prince. For me I like any kind of fast-paced metal - thrash, death or black metal.

I also found a couple bands that wrote lyrics inspired by DooM.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Li ... man/250355
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... che/112959

Both of them have a song called "Doom" that's about DooM.

The band you mentioned, Revenant, has an EP out:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Revenant/3540342751

And you can download it from their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Revenant/223753350974652

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

CelticWhisper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm 

Badass! Thanks, goatfangs!

Any other suggestions? I'll take whatever I can get. Going to see about tweaking video settings tonight so nuts.wad, with its insane monster count, doesn't smash my video card's kneecaps and garrotte it with its own entrails as its eyes pop out of...hmm...maybe I've been playing too much DooM lately.

Anyway, looking forward to fragging along with some of that.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:22 pm 

Nuts.wad with Brutal Doom? Gooooood luuuuuuck with that one. Even without it, I don't see much of a point to that map, other than it's infamy. With certain weapons mods, the map is definitely playable, just not that fun to play.

Now, if you want a good wad to play Brutal Doom with, I suggest Alien Vendetta. Perhaps Deus Vult but you'd have to only play the first four maps - at least with my PC the fifth map (which is really just the first four combined into one gigantic map with almost 3000 monsters) doesn't run smoothly with Brutal Doom's extra graphical effects... and I can run Skyrim on max settings at 45 FPS. I also like Hell Revealed, Hell Revealed 2, Deus Vult 2 (I'm not sure but Brutal Doom may not work with this one), Scythe and Scythe 2.

My main method of getting into new bands is by listening to their stuff while playing Doom.

One genre I really like playing Doom to is metalcore from 2002 or earlier. It could be the first two Killswitch Engage and All That Remains albums, old Darkest Hour, Aftershock, Overcast, Shadows Fall, Heaven Shall Burn (whole discography for that band), God Forbid and any band that's been around long enough to know not to do the same fucking breakdown every fifteen seconds.

But I'll listen to anything while DooMing it up. One playthrough of Hell Revealed was done to Black Boned Angel and Sunn O)))... which gave the game a creepier feel. On the doom side of metal, Khanate also sounds killer while playing DooM. Any sludgy guitar-heavy metal with a guitar sound that absolutely crushes will do if you don't mind the music being considerably slower paced than the gameplay.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

CelticWhisper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 am 

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha! I tried nuts.wad again and it still slowed my PC to a crawl. Re-ran it on default settings without Brutal Doom and I needed sv_fastweapons 1 to even finish in a reasonable amount of time. Ahhh, good times.

I'll definitely try those mods. I marathoned a good bit of Hell Revealed 1 last night and holy crap, that was awesome.

I'm going to see about grabbing some Black Boned Angel and Khanate and trying those while playing. Already have some Sunn O))), so that'll work too.

As for the general recommendation, I have to admit I'm not 100% sure what qualifies as sludgy. I'm normallly a symphonic metal d00d - Therion, Hollenthon, Epica, all that. Other than the bands you mentioned, is there a band that's a good starting point for "sludge metal" where I can search for similar bands? Unfortunately the search here on MA doesn't include album ratings in band search results, so even if I search "sludge" I won't see at a glance which bands are highest-rated.

Thanks again for the recs - going to try some Deus Vult & Deus Vult 2 and see how Brutal Doom behaves with them. Will let you know if I figure out how to make them cooperate.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:13 pm 

CelticWhisper wrote:
Other than the bands you mentioned, is there a band that's a good starting point for "sludge metal" where I can search for similar bands? Unfortunately the search here on MA doesn't include album ratings in band search results, so even if I search "sludge" I won't see at a glance which bands are highest-rated.

Simple. Search last.fm.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:10 pm 

For more DooM wads, I recommend also browsing the Cacowards.
http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

As well as the 10 years of Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/10years/

Especially in recent years, there are several wads that would not work with Brutal Doom because they themselves use either new weapons or new monsters.

----

As for sludge, there's quite a few bands you should start with. Grief comes to mind, as well as Eyehategod and Crowbar.

Reply to topic