Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aristocrap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm 

So I have a nice leather jacket that I got for cheap at a flea market. I love it the way it is, but I'd really like to customize it a bit. The first thing that came to my mind was adding some spikes on the collar and shoulders for a metal look. I'm not terribly worried about cutting holes into leather, since I didn't spend a fortune on the jacket.

Thing is, it seems that spikes and studs on jackets is a feminine thing nowadays. Sure, Rob Halford could pull off spiked leather no problem, but that was back then. It seems today a lot more females wear spikes on clothing than men do. But I guess I don't have much care for what other people'd think. Anyway, opinions and suggestions are all I'm asking for; I've already got the procedure down.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 pm 

Aristocrap wrote:
Thing is, it seems that spikes and studs on jackets is a feminine thing nowadays. Sure, Rob Halford could pull off spiked leather no problem, but that was back then. It seems today a lot more females wear spikes on clothing than men do.

Today in our modern world, more females eat yogurt than men. Hence, you should never eat yogurt ever, even when you really like it, lest it make you look feminine.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 pm 

I have noticed that it is mostly women who wear these things now, so you're not incorrect in this observation. This should in no way be a hindrance to you wearing such things, tho. It's a bit of an investment making these things and requires some thoughtfulness and aesthetic sense, so it naturally won't quite jibe with the slovenly look popular with many male metalheads.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 pm 

Just plan it out before you do it. Might sound obvious, but some people will just start driving spikes through. Use something you can get off the leather easily, and mark up where you want each of the spikes/studs before you start doing it.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm 

How about you're 20-30 years fucking late, there's a concern. Unless you stick up for yourself every time somebody fucks with you wearing that shit your only an embarrassment to the genre.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 pm 

Aristocrap wrote:
I don't have much care for what other people'd think.

Well there you go, sounds like you're set and dressed for success.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 pm 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:
How about you're 20-30 years fucking late, there's a concern. Unless you stick up for yourself every time somebody fucks with you wearing that shit your only an embarrassment to the genre.

"embarrassment to the genre"? Really? Fuck that, he can wear whatever the hell he wants. I saw a woman at a gig awhile back wearing a chainmail tank-top thing. Haters gonna hate.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:57 am 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Close-minded shit heads like you are an embarrassment to the human race.

Wear whatever you feel like, and the less other do so, the less you should worry. Unless you are as trendy as the guy above, who can't wear anything that everyone else doesn't!

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:42 am 

As a person who studied design and printed his own t shirts, its really tough to plan out a good design for a jacket and as TheUglySoldier said - a lot of things can go wrong and you would probably ruin the jacket or it would look like a retarded kid made it. I know that in Toronto I seen security guys made guys take their jackets off before going into a concert for safety concerns - moshing with spikes isn't what they find safe. I cant speak for your town but it might happen if you plan to go to a show. If you want to go with friends to a pub - do you really need a jacket with spikes in it?

As far as women wear more spiked vests or jackets as a metal statement - I haven't really noticed. They might wear it as a goth thing - but thats probably different and the interaction between old skool metal heads and goths is somewhat minimal if you go to a Kreator show. Is it still in fashion for younger guys to wear it as oppose to a 40 year old metal head. I cant say.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 pm 

I have never seen the correlation between "women" and "spiky jackets".

If anything, less males aren't wearing them, it's just that more females do now too than perhaps they did before...
I mean, studs and spikes and rhinestones... they are all totally different things.

I rarely see women with spiked jackets unless half their head is shaved, and what's left of their hair is usually some bright, neon color, too...

Anyway, do you like the look, or do you wanna seem cool? It's not a complicated issue. Either you like it, or you think it looks girly. If you don't like that, don't wear it...

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
I have never seen the correlation between "women" and "spiky jackets".

If anything, less males aren't wearing them, it's just that more females do now too than perhaps they did before...
I mean, studs and spikes and rhinestones... they are all totally different things.

I rarely see women with spiked jackets unless half their head is shaved, and what's left of their hair is usually some bright, neon color, too...

Anyway, do you like the look, or do you wanna seem cool? It's not a complicated issue. Either you like it, or you think it looks girly. If you don't like that, don't wear it...

Agreed, this comment is spot on. I've noticed girls wear studded stuff often, but as far as spikes go, i see as many bright-haired punks of both sexes.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 am 

I really don't understand the issue with the fact that women wear spikes, too. I mean, we're not talking about lipstick and high heels here, we're talking about spikes. If you like them, wear them. But don't wear them with lipstick and high heels, or you'll look girly.

Heh. I clicked on the topic thinking it would be a thread asking about cutting holes in the leather or care of spiked stuff.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 am 

I dont understand why this is necessary. Jackets function perfectly fine without spikes.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 am 

Good point. T-shirts function perfectly well without band names or imagery on them too.

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Good point. T-shirts function perfectly well without band names or imagery on them too.

They function better without sleeves.

hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 pm 

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

They function better without sleeves.

this is the truth.

OP: does the possibility of appearing feminine by wearing spikes on your leather jacket really perturb you? what about having long hair? if that's really the first thing to cross your mind then you should probably give up on this whole heavy metal thing and buy a closet full of tapout shirts.

edit: BUT to actually answer your original question, definitely have a solid plan in line. also be willing to spend at least twice the time you think you're going to need actually putting the studs in, as the whole process takes a good amount of time.

you could also do it discharge style:

Aristocrap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 pm 

No, it doesn't really bother me. I guess it was a moot point to bring up, but never-mind that. I was thinking of something like so:

I like the spikes on the collar bits and I'll probably extend them to the top of the shoulders if I end up with enough. I was going to reserve the area right below the shoulder on my arm for military-like band patches. Eventually, I might want a painted logo (or a couple) on the back, but that'll come much later if at all. I don't have much experience with sewing, so how does that work with leather?

Carpathianchrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 am 

Buy special leather needles and use a thimble and it should be just like sewing denim. Otherwise expect the back of the needle to end up planted in your skin a few hundred times.

I have noticed that it is now trendy to have studs on everything, there is even those completely spiked shoes by Doctor Marten's that look awful. Punks I can accept but these people are just doing it because it is the current trend.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 am 

The pictures that were posted here, I don't think those jackets are feminine in any way.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:18 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
The pictures that were posted here, I don't think those jackets are feminine in any way.

But you are.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 pm 

All the middle aged women love my bangs.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 pm 

Aristocrap wrote:
So I have a nice leather jacket that I got for cheap at a flea market. I love it the way it is, but I'd really like to customize it a bit. The first thing that came to my mind was adding some spikes on the collar and shoulders for a metal look. I'm not terribly worried about cutting holes into leather, since I didn't spend a fortune on the jacket.

Thing is, it seems that spikes and studs on jackets is a feminine thing nowadays. Sure, Rob Halford could pull off spiked leather no problem, but that was back then. It seems today a lot more females wear spikes on clothing than men do. But I guess I don't have much care for what other people'd think. Anyway, opinions and suggestions are all I'm asking for; I've already got the procedure down.

I attribute spikes and leather jackets more with punk then metal but that is just me. Halford is a fancy bitch if not the fanciest bitch in the world. Mahfucker had 8 or so costume changes when I saw them last year on their last tour. You asked us for an opinion but you don't even care what we or others say so I think this is pretty pointless.

Reply to topic