Pantheist
Shape of Despair
Skepticism

The Funeral Orchestra
Thergothon
Tyranny
Wormphlegm
Worship

Last edited by tyri on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:08 am 

Nothing's too obvious for me yet! My doom experience basically begins and ends with Bongripper and Esoteric. Thanks for the recs guys, as always.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:01 pm 

tyri wrote:
Death/doom recommendations:

Quote:
The Gathering

What.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:05 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
tyri wrote:

Quote:
The Gathering

What.

I'm guessing you've never heard Always...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 pm 

androdion wrote:

Hmm...you might be right, because I don't have it.

Weird.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 pm 

Since this has it's own thread... does Finland's Scum fall under the definition of death/doom and does anyone know of any other bands like them?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
androdion wrote:

Hmm...you might be right, because I don't have it.

Weird.

I though so. :p It's a quirky little album indeed.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 pm 

Finally got around to the rest of the recs for my request. I knew Daylight Dies and Swallow the Sun already. Not really digging Barren Earth, the vocals just weren't really for me. Forest of Shadows and The Slow Death are both good though, the former being pretty much exactly what I was looking for, the latter being even more melodic than I expected, but a nice addition to my repertoire of female-fronted doom (early 3rd and the Mortal, The Sins of thy Beloved, Funeral's 1997 demo). Thanks everyone! More recs in the vein of Forest of Shadows and Horrified would be appreciated.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:41 am 

Syntek wrote:
My original thread got locked, for good reason, now that I've seen this thread. Here's my original post:

Syntek wrote:
Specifically, I'm looking for bands such as Colosseum, Doom:VS, the first half of Black Sun Aeon's "Routa", and Swallow the Sun. Also Forest Stream and The Foreshadowing, at a stretch.

Other than these bands I've never found something polished enough and emotionally satisfying to keep me engrossed for a whole album. I've tried to get into Nox Aurea and Saturnus a few times, but they seemed too generic for me when I was giving them a listen.
Keep it either modern doom/death or funeral doom also, as I doubt stoner or traditional doom has anything in terms of what I'm looking for.

Anyway, it'd be good to see what you guys've got.

Any recs would be appreciated! :)

Nobody?
I didn't think it was too difficult to fill out, but maybe it's too difficult.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:07 am 

There are too many bands that could fit the bill.

For a start, I personally don't see much similarities between say, Colosseum and The Foreshadowing... It's difficult to know what you're after exactly when you're referring to different bands playing different styles of Doom.

edit: a simple suggestion. If (I mean if I got it right), if you're after polished and smooth doomy music, you could check out the whole Firebox/firedoom catalogue.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:57 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
edit: a simple suggestion. If (I mean if I got it right), if you're after polished and smooth doomy music, you could check out the whole Firebox/firedoom catalogue.

Indeed!

Another thing you could try would be the more modern melodic death/doom bands. Try Rapture and browse the "similar artists" tab, you'll find many good things.

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 am 

Marag wrote:
Is there such a thing as grind/doom? Or at least death/doom where the death metal influences feels more like deathgrind?

Try out:
Cianide- The Dying Truth
and
Divine Eve- Vengeful and Obstinate

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
There are too many bands that could fit the bill.

For a start, I personally don't see much similarities between say, Colosseum and The Foreshadowing... It's difficult to know what you're after exactly when you're referring to different bands playing different styles of Doom.

I actually posted it as a thread looking for gothic influenced doom/death, but forgot to mention that in the post in this thread.
But yes, that all indeed was what I was looking for.

androdion wrote:
Morphine1873 wrote:

Indeed!

Another thing you could try would be the more modern melodic death/doom bands. Try Rapture and browse the "similar artists" tab, you'll find many good things.

Thank you both. This'll keep me occupied for a while.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:22 pm 

Does anybody know some good death/doom with traditional heavy metal influences? Simple trad metal, not melodic stuff. Similar to the mighty Doomstone!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:49 am 

mike40k wrote:
Are there any funeral doom bands where the main are vocals more akin to a black metal shriek, rather then the usual low growls?

Might i recommend "Make a change... Kill yourself", any release really man. Blackened Funeral Doom Metal. There self titled was a release i enjoyed very much, 1 hour 11 minutes and amounting to no more than 4 tracks, each simply titles chapters 1,2,3,4. Brilliant Black Doom though, check that shit !! \m/ \m/

Custom Original artwork/ Logo/ layout designs for bands/ labels etc. Message me on here of my page if interested...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm 

Marag wrote:
Is there such a thing as grind/doom? Or at least death/doom where the death metal influences feels more like deathgrind?

Sorry for the late reply because I totally forgot about this band, but you should definitely check out the first Mangled Torsos album "Drawings of the Dead." Great doomy death/grind.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm 

Awesome thread. I'm looking for bands like Lord Azmo: death/doom instrumentation with clean spoken vocals

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:07 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Awesome thread. I'm looking for bands like Lord Azmo: death/doom instrumentation with clean spoken vocals

I think you'd enjoy Vedova. Literally death/doom with spoken vocals.

Also, if the vocals don't have to be spoken, you may enjoy It Will Come, Unsilence, and Morito Ergo Sum. Basically the same concept, melodic death/doom riffs with clean vocals.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 pm 

Anyone know some more primitive Celtic Frost-worshipping death/doom bands like Winter, early Cianide and Crimson Relic/Divine Eve? I do know Coffins, of course.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 am 

droneriot wrote:
Anyone know some more primitive Celtic Frost-worshipping death/doom bands like Winter, early Cianide and Crimson Relic/Divine Eve? I do know Coffins, of course.

Delirium and Sempiternal Deathreign of course! ;)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 am 

I know both of them, of course. ;) Sempiternal Deathreign is one of my all time favourite bands. I guess my request was going more in a direction of new bands playing that primitive death/doom style. Most modern death/doom bands seem to be inspired by the Peaceville three, Incantation or Candlemass/Runemagick. I want raw (slow motion-) headbanging fury :D

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:40 pm 

Can't help you there much. It may be a lost art... :wink:

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:31 pm 

What about October Tide? a good ol' bit of Jonas Renkse

Custom Original artwork/ Logo/ layout designs for bands/ labels etc. Message me on here of my page if interested...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 pm 

tyri wrote:

no early Katatonia?

droneriot wrote:
Marag wrote:

Sorry for the late reply because I totally forgot about this band, but you should definitely check out the first Mangled Torsos album "Drawings of the Dead." Great doomy death/grind.

no problem. i just checked it out, good stuff!

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:08 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I know both of them, of course. ;) Sempiternal Deathreign is one of my all time favourite bands. I guess my request was going more in a direction of new bands playing that primitive death/doom style. Most modern death/doom bands seem to be inspired by the Peaceville three, Incantation or Candlemass/Runemagick. I want raw (slow motion-) headbanging fury :D

It may be a bit slower than what you're looking for, but have you heard Necro Schizma? They basically play Hellhammer/early Celtic Frost type riffs at extremely slow speeds. Hope this helps.

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
I need more sinister/evil funeral doom like The Funeral Orchestra or Catacombs. not sad shit (sad shits cool too but I need EVILLLL).
like that kind of Candlemassy sinisterness. but funeral doom.
If you don't know what I mean just look up The Funeral Orchestra and you'll get it.

Have you heard Stabat Mater? They don't really have the same atmosphere as The Funeral Orchestra, but it's some of the most evil sounding funeral doom I've ever heard.

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:24 pm 

Now I have a request too. Anybody know of any bands that sound similar to Unholy? I'm looking for that creepy, evil, and dissonant type of black/doom/death they went for on their first couple of albums. Stuff that sounds like their later albums would be cool too, but while both periods have that weird otherworldly atmosphere, I would prefer to find something more along the lines of their more raw approach.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:05 pm 

jaykeisstrange wrote:
Now I have a request too. Anybody know of any bands that sound similar to Unholy? I'm looking for that creepy, evil, and dissonant type of black/doom/death they went for on their first couple of albums. Stuff that sounds like their later albums would be cool too, but while both periods have that weird otherworldly atmosphere, I would prefer to find something more along the lines of their more raw approach.

You've got to hear Dolorian, man. Check out their first album, When All the Laughter Has Gone. That should be exactly what you're looking for.

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 am 

I have When All the Laughter Has Gone and the self titled album, the former of which definitely has a similar feel to Rapture or Gracefallen. Great band, any other suggestions?

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 am 

jaykeisstrange wrote:
I have When All the Laughter Has Gone and the self titled album, the former of which definitely has a similar feel to Rapture or Gracefallen. Great band, any other suggestions?

Try out their voidwards, its better then their other two albums, as good as they are. You might also want to try Nightly Gale (Illusion of Evil or Imprint) or maybe Murkrat (Start with the second album).

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 am 

Just thought I'd share a really good melodic death/doom band from Australia called The Nihilist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nybN9eN6D8

Again, it'd be great if anybody knows any more bands like this.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm 

Byrain wrote:
jaykeisstrange wrote:

Try out their voidwards, its better then their other two albums, as good as they are. You might also want to try Nightly Gale (Illusion of Evil or Imprint) or maybe Murkrat (Start with the second album).

Agreed. Nightly Gale and Murkrat are both mind blowing. You may not enjoy them since they have predominant clean vocals (although Nightly Gale has some pretty harsh screams every now and then), but the music itself should sound pretty good.

I also think you may possibly like Atriarch and Wreck of the Hesperus. Both bands lean a little more towards the sludge side of doom metal, but they both play dark doom with some great, extreme atmosphere.

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 pm 

My band traded some of our discs to Aesthetic Death records for some of their titles and Murkrat was among them. The other guitar player has it, I'll have to see if he has any more copies I can grab. I'll check out the others though, thanks again. Any idea where to get Voidwards? I've been looking for a while and the only one I could find was a pricey one on eBay.

gioval09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 pm 

jaykeisstrange wrote:
My band traded some of our discs to Aesthetic Death records for some of their titles and Murkrat was among them. The other guitar player has it, I'll have to see if he has any more copies I can grab. I'll check out the others though, thanks again. Any idea where to get Voidwards? I've been looking for a while and the only one I could find was a pricey one on eBay.

I bought a copy for 17EUR a year ago from Aftermath (http://www.aftermath-music.com). They still have some copies of this and s/t.

EDIT: Aah, damn, I just saw it's out of stock :(

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm 

I found out about Arcana Coelestia today. Italian blackened funeral doom, and I'm liking it. I already have the relevant advanced search bookmarked, so that bit of advice is headed off at the pass, but I wanted to bring them up here in case anyone had any thoughts or bands that they find similarly atmospheric or effective, etc. More of an "I recommend them" post, this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raUqjFJP ... re=related

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:37 am 

check out URNA latest album. And Esoteric of course.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 pm 

Esoteric and I are well-acquainted, but yeah I thought about them, too while I was listening to AC. Never heard of URNA. Will check. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am 

Sharkuu wrote:
Fallen is a funeral doom band that uses only (very low sounding) clean vocals.

Thanks. Pretty cool stuff.

TheUnhinged wrote:
Grove, Herodias, and Skumring also combine funeral doom with clean vocals. Same goes for Murkrat's new album.

Murkrat is pretty sweet, I like the woman's vocals. Herodias was terrible. Haven't heard the other two.

Metantoine wrote:
Anyway, here's my rec for you, later Pantheist, it's more progressive doom, but they were a funeral doom band before and you can still feel this in their music

So far I had only heard early Pantheist and it was terrible, but I approached their later stuff with an open mind thinking it couldn't be worse than their debut, and yes, it was a whole lot better, but not really what I was hoping for.

Anyway, thanks to the three of you, and sorry for the late response, had a lot of other things to check out first!

-edit- By the way, if anybody's interested, I put a link to my death/doom group on last.fm in my signature. :)

zackled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 am 

droneriot wrote:

You can check out my band. Just formed. http://actofimpalement.bandcamp.com/alb ... al-warfare

We have some stuff up there. Heavily influenced by Sabbath, Bolt Thrower, Celtic Frost, Coffins.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 am 

Cool and all, but try to keep the promotion in the Promo forum, please.

Vlad is awesome!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next