Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am 

Even though it's just a scratch recording, I'm really happy with how this song is turning out. For a brief bit of background, my wife is a huge metalhead, and I'm writing a concept album around the idea of her being a serial killer as an anniversary or birthday gift (depending on when I finish it). This is one of the songs. I'm super happy with it, it's fucking badass! It sounds good, but keep in mind it's a scratch recording.
signal chain:
drums: EZ drummer + drumkit from hell for extra cymbals and toms
bass: GTR amp, 2 cabs, 1X15 and 4X10, both "miced" with an SM57
Rhythm guitars: Dirthead VST (a fantastic simulation of a mesa head) and poulin lecab 2 speaker cab sim (can't recommend it enough for a good mesa sound)
vocals: Sitting on my ass right in front of my computer with a rode NT1-A
lead guitar: simulanalog tubescreamer, Poulin Le456, poulin lecab 2

Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72840986/the%20 ... orture.mp3

(edit/update: The entire album is out now, and you can get it here for 5 bucks. All proceeds to go charity, to no-kill animal shelters. So get some badass death metal and save some kitties, you cheap bastard!)
http://onlyashadowremains.bandcamp.com/ ... emeditated

Last edited by infinitenexus on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 am 

Granted, I've got a bottle of wine in me right now, but I was really enjoying listening to this song and playing some air drums to it and I damn near broke my nose when my snare drum hand whacked me right in the face.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 am 

Hey, this is really cool. I hear some Dimension Zero and a tiny bit of Vomitory/Torture Division in the song. Perhaps you could've played around with the drum programming a bit more but the guitar sound kills, man. The high register pulloff/bend during the chorus sounds awkward too, maybe replace it with a pinch harmonic or something, but that's just me. I'm liking the vocals too, and the song as a whole.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm 

Damn this was pretty damn sweet. I really like it. I was going in not expecting much but I'm pretty impressed. And I love that solo. But I do see where it can be improved, like in the drums where they are almost a constant same tempo. There is plenty of variation that could've been used while keeping it all in the same tempo.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm 

Yeah, I'm going to go back in there and add some "color" to the drums, some fills, etc, to break up the monotony. This is just my scratch recording, so the drums are pretty basic right now. Thanks though!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:13 pm 

Yea I figured it was more place holders since it wasn't the final. Will the rest of this album be similar?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm 

Yeah. Shortly after we got married I got the idea to make a sort of concept album around the idea of my wife being a serial killer. Not hugely original, but fun, nonetheless. I let her know and she was bouncing off the walls happy at the idea of it. So I have a song about her stalking a victim, a song about her torture-murdering the victim, dissecting, eating the corpse, etc. They're all kinda modern cannibal corpse/aborted-influenced, and I have I believe 6 or 7 songs so far. It's a fun side project.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 am 

That's pretty awesome. I liked the idea and how you did it based around your wife. very cool, esp since the music is good.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 am 

Thanks, I appreciate that. Once I finish it I'll post it all on here so everyone can download it.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 pm 

I enjoyed it. If I were to offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be about the drum kick pedals. The double kicks are going almost non stop the entire song, and it just seems like there's no kick variety. That's my only suggestion.

Also, 0:30 sounds a lot like 0:29 in Exhumed's 'As Hammer to Anvil' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEo-8407cPg&t=0m29s).

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 am 

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I noticed that also, the kicks are going pretty much non-stop, I just need to figure out a way to lessen that without losing some "oomph", so to speak. What can I say, I'm a guitarist, not a drummer :-D

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:40 am 

Sounds good!

But I think that your vocals are a bit too high for the character of the song..
Lower growls would make it darker!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm 

dope shit, bro.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

bloodhornbloodfrost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 am 

Fuck yeeees. As soon as this track started I was hooked bro. Love the concept album idea about your wife. Maybe I should do that for my ex{Now best friend} But keep it up you got my attention man
-l-\;m;/-l-

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Thank you for the constructive criticism. I noticed that also, the kicks are going pretty much non-stop, I just need to figure out a way to lessen that without losing some "oomph", so to speak. What can I say, I'm a guitarist, not a drummer :-D

Fair enough. I'm primarily a drummer and a beginner guitarist, so I'm the opposite.

The best I can suggest is for every section you want to keep the "oomph", try to rely more on the snare than the kick for it. In death metal, while the kick is prevalent, the snare does most of the work. The constant double kicks makes it sound like a power metal drum track or something. The snare is the key. Also, death metal fans love blast beats so don't hesitate to use them.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:04 am 

The very beginning reminds me of 'Skeleton Christ' by Slayer. But maybe that's just because I'm a Slayer fanboy, obviously. But,yeah, nice job!(Probably doesn't mean much coming from me) :lol:

Ozzy88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 am 

Wicked tune dude, dig the chorus! Any chance for a copy of the lyrics?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am 

Yeah good work. I wanted the squeal in the chorus to have some more teeth, but that was really my only critical note. Production was good, vocals were good and levels were good. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

(666th post were thoughts on a death metal song .. not bad.)

Ahnenerbe_Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Even though it's just a scratch recording, I'm really happy with how this song is turning out. I'm super happy with it, it's fucking badass!

Badass indeed!

Seriously, infinitenexus, that song absolutely KILLED. Please keep posting tracks as you go and let us know if you decide to burn a few CD's and make them available for purchase.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm 

Great composition. I'm not a fan of the guitar and bass tone, they should trade some fuzz for depth. Other than that, it sounds catchy so well done.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:11 am 

To all who inquired about the rest of the album, it's done. Here's my bandcamp page to said album, where you can hear the entire thing and purchase it if you'd like.

As a side note, all profits from this album will go to charity.

http://onlyashadowremains.bandcamp.com/ ... emeditated

Enjoy! (tracks 3, 7, and 8 are probably the best, in case you want to know where to start)

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm 

Guitar sounds amazing, riffs are great, at some part I remembered a riff from Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, felt the same, but I really like the song, the only thing that I didn't dig was the solo, but it's about taste I don't really like that kind of solos, but great work man.
Edit: after another listen, yeah vocals felt like Morbid Angel Altars of Madness album, really great performance as well.
have you uploaded it on youtube ? I'd really like to share it with Death Metal musicians here on facebook.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm 

Whoa, wasn't expecting much but this is pretty ripping dude! I would definitely say you do the faster mid-tempo and out right fast parts better than the slower stuff... that may have more to do with my personal preference though as I like the fast jams. The chorus on Halls of Gore and the part from about 2:00 through the solo on Consumption of the Cadaver are good examples of you pulling off the slower tempo nicely imo. Nice work man!

Also, I usually detest drum programming but I thought your end result was done nicely, especially on the faster sections and fills.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:56 pm 

Nightwisher - I haven't put it on youtube yet, probably after work today I'll do that to try to get it out there some more. This album is just on bandcamp for now, since I can set the price ($5) and I get the highest percentage of that (more to charity).

dontlivefastjustdie - Thanks!

Now I just have to get people to actually buy it. It's only 5 bucks, and that goes straight to charity, but we live in the age of downloading music, not buying music. So far I have plenty of listens on bandcamp, but only 1 purchase.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:28 am 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Guitar sounds amazing, riffs are great, at some part I remembered a riff from Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, felt the same, but I really like the song, the only thing that I didn't dig was the solo, but it's about taste I don't really like that kind of solos, but great work man.
Edit: after another listen, yeah vocals felt like Morbid Angel Altars of Madness album, really great performance as well.
have you uploaded it on youtube ? I'd really like to share it with Death Metal musicians here on facebook.

All the songs are now on youtube. Here's a link to "hiding the remains":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jVm7tlp ... ure=colike

And here's a link to my youtube channel. All the songs from this album, "Premeditated", have the same picture, so just check all the red colored videos, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/user/onlyashadowremains

Reply to topic