Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 pm 
 

Finally reviewed Dephosphorus's Night Sky Transform


One of my favorite releases this year.


http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.co ... sform.html
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12165
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:11 pm 
 

Whatever the hell this band is called... this is pretty great

http://bandzone.cz/but
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:12 am 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Whatever the hell this band is called... this is pretty great

http://bandzone.cz/but


Yeah! I just call them but.

I only have that promo from 09, do they have anything else?
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12165
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 am 
 

That's all I know of. i'd like more myself.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am 
 

Okay, so my power finally got turned back on. I'll record some rough takes of those riffs after work today.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12165
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:27 am 
 

and I have nothing!
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 am 
 

hahaha I totally forgot to email them, damn it. Okay, I get G+ notifications on my phone, remind me at like 6:00 PM so I don't forget. I promise I'll get something to you. :lol:
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12165
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 pm 
 

I just sent it now that I got home.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:14 pm 
 

What exactly are Grindcore, Hardcore, Goregrind and Crust? What defines them as genres?

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
What exactly are Grindcore, Hardcore, Goregrind and Crust? What defines them as genres?


Man, everybody has their own definitions of what is or isn't [genre], I'd say just look at wikipedia's or last.fm's definition to get a general idea.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:02 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
Sanctium wrote:
What exactly are Grindcore, Hardcore, Goregrind and Crust? What defines them as genres?


Man, everybody has their own definitions of what is or isn't [genre], I'd say just look at wikipedia's or last.fm's definition to get a general idea.


Are you kidding? That's like saying everyone has their own definition of wood. Wikipedia is the last place anyone should be looking for anything related to genres anyways.

Top
 Profile  
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: In your basement
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
Man, everybody has their own definitions of what is or isn't [genre], I'd say just look at wikipedia's or last.fm's definition to get a general idea.


Are you kidding? That's like saying everyone has their own definition of wood. Wikipedia is the last place anyone should be looking for anything related to genres anyways.

K here we go mister pushy, Crust=punks answer to thrash, grindcore=punks answer to death metal, hardcore=punks answer to speed metal goregrind=grindcore with gore lyrics.
Mind though thats a bastardized way of explaining it, but the simplest by far.
_________________
The Book Of Wayne Another shitty bedroom project

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
Are you kidding? That's like saying everyone has their own definition of wood. Wikipedia is the last place anyone should be looking for anything related to genres anyways.


No, I'm not kidding. What I was saying was is that you'll get a different answer depending on who you ask, and instead of spending time linking you to a whole bunch of stuff on YouTube, you yourself can look at a dictionary-esque definition on wikipedia or last.fm as they're not too far off or absurd. Also, the wood comparison is pretty laughable, as wood =/= art, whereas art can give people various impressions that aren't "right" or "wrong". Unless you're inquiring about the genres' historical upbringing, which wasn't specified, then there could be more concrete evidence.

Case in point: I disagree with everything TheEvilSocky just said, but that doesn't mean that he's wrong at all. There are so many different regional styles of the aforementioned genres that there really is not a set answer.

EDIT: removed my e-temper tantrum
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:33 pm 
 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

K here we go mister pushy, Crust=punks answer to thrash, grindcore=punks answer to death metal, hardcore=punks answer to speed metal goregrind=grindcore with gore lyrics.
Mind though thats a bastardized way of explaining it, but the simplest by far.


I want a musical definition not their historical placement. The way you describe Goregrind means it's exactly the same as Grindcore musically but when you look at bands like 40% Gradi and Pig Destroyer you know lyrics are not what separates them.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:42 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
Sanctium wrote:
What exactly are Grindcore, Hardcore, Goregrind and Crust? What defines them as genres?


Man, everybody has their own definitions of what is or isn't [genre], I'd say just look at wikipedia's or last.fm's definition to get a general idea.


Yes.

The easiest way is to have you hear bands that epitomize the genre.

Crust - Doom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhnv5fDMopc

Grindcore - Napalm Death http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkzibXbPwnk

Hardcore -Killing Time are synomous with NYHC which spawned what is comonly reffered to as hardcore nowadays (stuff like Hatebreed, Sworn Enemy, Terror, etc.). The era of the beatdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvYAnH6pVLk

Discharge probably the first hardcore band, also called dbeat (named after them) as you can see, one name means a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WgrGRawcQ

Goregrind -General Surgery arguably a genre found in Carcass's honor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlbVvfZ ... re=related

Grindcore is basically a punk band trying to play as fast as possible and with lots of metal influence. Over the years it's moved more towards metal.

Hardcore is very loose, almost as loose a term as metal. Old hardcore was simiply more abrasive punk like Bad Brains or Black flag, now it can be anything from Hatebreed or Wolfbrigade.

Goregrind is simply grindcore with an attention to gorey subject matter, much like a lot of older death metal. Usually has a lot of a death metal influence as well.

Crust is dirty punk that often has metal influences and usually promotes a strong DIY ethic and left-wing/anarchist politics.



As dragunov said, these are loose definitions that cna change from band to band, the thing to keep in mind is Hardcore is probably the broadest term there and is the evolution of punk. Grindcore is basically a hybrid of punk and metal, and crust is an offshoot of hardcore as goregrind is an offshoot of grindcore.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/


Last edited by FleshMonolith on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
Sanctium wrote:
Are you kidding? That's like saying everyone has their own definition of wood. Wikipedia is the last place anyone should be looking for anything related to genres anyways.


No, I'm not kidding. What I was saying was is that you'll get a different answer depending on who you ask, and instead of spending time linking you to a whole bunch of stuff on YouTube, you yourself can look at a dictionary-esque definition on wikipedia or last.fm as they're not too far off or absurd. Also, the wood comparison is pretty laughable, as wood =/= art, whereas art can give people various impressions that aren't "right" or "wrong". Unless you're inquiring about the genres' historical upbringing, which wasn't specified, then there could be more concrete evidence.

Case in point: I disagree with everything TheEvilSocky just said, but that doesn't mean that he's wrong at all. There are so many different regional styles of the aforementioned genres that there really is not a set answer.

EDIT: removed my e-temper tantrum


Wikipedia says BFMV and great batch of other garbage is Metal, not to mention things being labeled as "Indie Rock" or "Alternative" so they are not a reliable source for anything regarding music. The analogy was fine though, because there are rules for what makes something wood (this goes for genres too) if there are not rules for genres then do kindly explain why Goatpenis is not Hip-Hop musically. The fact that you will get a different answer from one person to another does not mean there is not a definition, it does not mean that what a genre is changes from person to person, it means one or more does not know what they are talking about unless they say the same thing with different words. Example: What's Thrash Metal? "Oh, that's just NWOBHM with Punk influences" or "Oh, that's when the NWOBHM bands way back when started to embrace the Punk scene and decided to form a whole new genre of their own!" I would also like to point out I am not talking about bands that have influences from other genres like the way you might think the definition of Black Metal changes because of Black/Death Metal bands combining influences.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 293
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
Sanctium wrote:
Are you kidding? That's like saying everyone has their own definition of wood. Wikipedia is the last place anyone should be looking for anything related to genres anyways.


No, I'm not kidding. What I was saying was is that you'll get a different answer depending on who you ask, and instead of spending time linking you to a whole bunch of stuff on YouTube, you yourself can look at a dictionary-esque definition on wikipedia or last.fm as they're not too far off or absurd. Also, the wood comparison is pretty laughable, as wood =/= art, whereas art can give people various impressions that aren't "right" or "wrong". Unless you're inquiring about the genres' historical upbringing, which wasn't specified, then there could be more concrete evidence.



Wikipedia says BFMV and great batch of other garbage is Metal, not to mention things being labeled as "Indie Rock" or "Alternative" so they are not a reliable source for anything regarding music. The analogy was fine though, because there are rules for what makes something wood (this goes for genres too) if there are not rules for genres then do kindly explain why Goatpenis is not Hip-Hop musically. The fact that you will get a different answer from one person to another does not mean there is not a definition, it does not mean that what a genre is changes from person to person, it means one or more does not know what they are talking about unless they say the same thing with different words. Example: What's Thrash Metal? "Oh, that's just NWOBHM with Punk influences" or "Oh, that's when the NWOBHM bands way back when started to embrace the Punk scene and decided to form a whole new genre of their own!" I would also like to point out I am not talking about bands that have influences from other genres like the way you might think the definition of Black Metal changes because of Black/Death Metal bands combining influences.


Druganov is right, Wikipedia is a good place to get information on underground genres like crust, D-Beat, goregrind etc. And he's right in that a lot of people have there own definitions of genres, there are so many varieties within each genre and everyones tastes are differnet so people aren't going to agree 100%. Nobody here gives a fuck about a mainstream band like BFMV so that's a bad example to use, and of course their wikipedia page is going to suck, they're a shitty band and their fans are idiots.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:09 pm 
 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Crust=punks answer to thrash

Crust has nothing to do with thrash, you're thinking of "thrashcore" or "crossover". Crust is punk-based riffage with some metal instrumentation and elements, but the main base (i.e. the riffs) relates to punk. The metal influence can vary from being small to being ever present.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
grindcore=punks answer to death metal

Not quite, although the metal-oriented grind tends to lean on death metal. Grindcore was just punk taken to the extreme, even more than crust and early hardcore, and it began to side itself with metal bands a lot due to Napalm Death. But the fact is that there are grindcore bands which have no metal riffs or structure, while others have a lot of extreme metal. That eventually also lead to the "deathgrind" subgenre.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
hardcore=punks answer to speed metal

It's just fast, pissed off and dirty, d-beat styled punk. Although d-beat is a characteristic it doesn't mean that bands which don't use the technique aren't hardcore. A new modern style of hardcore emerged on later years, 90s and 00s which some call "modern hardcore" and is more polished and well produced.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
goregrind=grindcore with gore lyrics.

This has been widely discussed and people here have said many times that there are differences in sound, not only in lyrics. The simplest thing really is to compare FETO with Symphonies Of Sickness, others might get into further detail.

Another post another opinion, hein Dragunov?! :p Anyway I hope it was helpful.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Druganov is right, Wikipedia is a good place to get information on underground genres like crust, D-Beat, goregrind etc. And he's right in that a lot of people have there own definitions of genres, there are so many varieties within each genre and everyones tastes are differnet so people aren't going to agree 100%. Nobody here gives a fuck about a mainstream band like BFMV so that's a bad example to use, and of course their wikipedia page is going to suck, they're a shitty band and their fans are idiots.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk


Like I said it's not limited only to BFMV there's a present abundance of diarrhea labeled Metal, anything labeled "Alt-" and "Indie" or any made up Metal genre (Viking Metal, Speed Metal, Funk Metal, Rap Metal etc...). I also pointed out how bands that combine influences do not matter the least bit. Go re-read the whole post again, I shouldn't have to repeat myself when information like that is available.

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:50 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
motherfucking facepalm of doom


Dude, I fucking know wikipedia is shit most of the time, so I wouldn't recommend it to you if the definition was way off. Why don't you just listen to a bunch of different hardcore/crust/grind bands and figure the shit out for yourself? Because you're obviously not going to get the answer you're looking for here.

Sanctium wrote:
then do kindly explain why Goatpenis is not Hip-Hop musically


I'm too busy listening to music to give a shit, frankly.

ANYWAYS

I was going to ask if any of you knew of any bands that were similar in style to In Battle/Realm-era Bolt Thrower, but with more blasting going on? Most of the bands in this style are just crust/stenchcore, nothing that really pushes them into "obviously grind" territory.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:40 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
Sanctium wrote:
motherfucking facepalm of doom


Dude, I fucking know wikipedia is shit most of the time, so I wouldn't recommend it to you if the definition was way off. Why don't you just listen to a bunch of different hardcore/crust/grind bands and figure the shit out for yourself? Because you're obviously not going to get the answer you're looking for here.

Sanctium wrote:
then do kindly explain why Goatpenis is not Hip-Hop musically


I'm too busy listening to music to give a shit, frankly.


If Wikipedia actually had the right information it wouldn't matter anyways because I'm asking for a simple definition, not a ballsack of leads to an unreliable website or to learn anything about its historical placement. I ask at all because I don't like it (but would like the knowledge of what defines it which said originally) and don't want to have to go through a whole bunch of shitty bands when someone with an I.Q. above room temperature that does like it can just say "Goregrind is...." "Hardcore is...." and not get mad because they failed to provide anything useful. I also don't understand how you "don't give a shit" and but "give a shit" enough to quote the last part at all, or how it voids you from explaining something so elementary...unless you know I was right.

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
 

@ Sanctium - Have you read my post above? It provides what you ask to some extent. Although, and to take Dragunov's side a bit, Wiki or RYM definitions on those genres are quite accurate. People always piss on Wikipedia but they forget that a lot of the info there is actually valid.

Dragunov wrote:
I was going to ask if any of you knew of any bands that were similar in style to In Battle/Realm-era Bolt Thrower, but with more blasting going on? Most of the bands in this style are just crust/stenchcore, nothing that really pushes them into "obviously grind" territory.

I second this request! :nods:
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 293
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Druganov is right, Wikipedia is a good place to get information on underground genres like crust, D-Beat, goregrind etc. And he's right in that a lot of people have there own definitions of genres, there are so many varieties within each genre and everyones tastes are differnet so people aren't going to agree 100%. Nobody here gives a fuck about a mainstream band like BFMV so that's a bad example to use, and of course their wikipedia page is going to suck, they're a shitty band and their fans are idiots.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk


Like I said it's not limited only to BFMV there's a present abundance of diarrhea labeled Metal, anything labeled "Alt-" and "Indie" or any made up Metal genre (Viking Metal, Speed Metal, Funk Metal, Rap Metal etc...). I also pointed out how bands that combine influences do not matter the least bit. Go re-read the whole post again, I shouldn't have to repeat myself when information like that is available.


Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote. Go re-read the whole post again, I shouldn't have to repeat myself when information like that is available.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote. Go re-read the whole post again, I shouldn't have to repeat myself when information like that is available.


I'll dumb it down for you:

You: "Something about why Wikipedia is Okay."
Me: "Why it's not."
You: "Something about why bands with varying influences matter (ex:Black/Death Metal.)"
Me: "I only want a definition for one genre not mixes and hybrids."
You: "A rant on a band that doesn't matter and irrelevant information."

Now tell me, did you read the post at all?

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:07 pm 
 

androdion wrote:
@ Sanctium - Have you read my post above? It provides what you ask to some extent. Although, and to take Dragunov's side a bit, Wiki or RYM definitions on those genres are quite accurate. People always piss on Wikipedia but they forget that a lot of the info there is actually valid.


That's exactly what I was looking for, not leads to other websites and yada yada yada

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 293
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:

I'll dumb it down for you:

You: "Something about why Wikipedia is Okay."
Me: "Why it's not."
You: "Something about why bands with varying influences matter (ex:Black/Death Metal.)"
Me: "I only want a definition for one genre not mixes and hybrids."
You: "A rant on a band that doesn't matter and irrelevant information."

Now tell me, did you read the post at all?


It's funny how you say you'll dumb it down for me, when everything we've told you has gone right over your head. Why is something like wikipedia not okay, while metal-archives is okay? You seem to not like wikipedia because you disagree with some peoples opinions on there. Do you realize that normal everyday people post information on wikipedia, just like with metal-archives. The people who wrote the BFMV page are not the same people who wrote the grindcore and crust pages. BFMV and all the other wikipedia pages you mentioned have nothing to do with the grindcore, crust etc pages. It's just like how metal-archives works. Why is this so hard for you to understand? And Druganov also mentioned last.fm yet you only flipped out on wikipedia. Information on last.fm or any other user based site has just as much chance of being incorrect as wikipedia has.

"I only want a definition for one genre, not mixes and hybrids." Do you not remember your original question? You asked what Hardcore, grindcore, goregrind, crust are. We're trying to explain it and give you sites with good information but you're being very stubborn. You must be new to extreme music or else you would have known that they are all hybrids and mixes of other genres. Is it really too hard to just go to youtube, listen to some songs and find out first hand?
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: In your basement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 am 
 

androdion wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:
Crust=punks answer to thrash

Crust has nothing to do with thrash, you're thinking of "thrashcore" or "crossover". Crust is punk-based riffage with some metal instrumentation and elements, but the main base (i.e. the riffs) relates to punk. The metal influence can vary from being small to being ever present.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
grindcore=punks answer to death metal

Not quite, although the metal-oriented grind tends to lean on death metal. Grindcore was just punk taken to the extreme, even more than crust and early hardcore, and it began to side itself with metal bands a lot due to Napalm Death. But the fact is that there are grindcore bands which have no metal riffs or structure, while others have a lot of extreme metal. That eventually also lead to the "deathgrind" subgenre.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
hardcore=punks answer to speed metal

It's just fast, pissed off and dirty, d-beat styled punk. Although d-beat is a characteristic it doesn't mean that bands which don't use the technique aren't hardcore. A new modern style of hardcore emerged on later years, 90s and 00s which some call "modern hardcore" and is more polished and well produced.

TheEvilSocky wrote:
goregrind=grindcore with gore lyrics.

This has been widely discussed and people here have said many times that there are differences in sound, not only in lyrics. The simplest thing really is to compare FETO with Symphonies Of Sickness, others might get into further detail.

Another post another opinion, hein Dragunov?! :p Anyway I hope it was helpful.

Ok I think you guy's got my "answer to" wrong, I meant it as in "crust is related to punk the same way thrash is related to metal" you know two different side's to the coin, do you get it know or do I need to do a play by play?
_________________
The Book Of Wayne Another shitty bedroom project

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:25 pm 
 

You don't need to get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't attacking you but rather "correcting" some minor mistakes in your factual appreciation of said genres. And yes I get what you mean, although I disagree with your simplified view of things. I don't see Amebix as punk's other side of the coin on metal's thrash, but then again even crust has many different types of bands. Hell, modern Swedish crust is almost death metal in style but with punk beats and riffs! For grind vs death I can somewhat agree on your view, although I think that both genres evolved simultaneously and together. Not in a "this is punk" vs "this is metal" kind of scenario. But, you know, this is just my opinion which doesn't invalidate yours so you don't need to get stressed out about my remarks. ;)
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm 
 

So, early Bolt Thrower with more blastbeats, anyone? Also, Gate (JPN) fucking rules.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Sanctium wrote:

I'll dumb it down for you:

You: "Something about why Wikipedia is Okay."
Me: "Why it's not."
You: "Something about why bands with varying influences matter (ex:Black/Death Metal.)"
Me: "I only want a definition for one genre not mixes and hybrids."
You: "A rant on a band that doesn't matter and irrelevant information."

Now tell me, did you read the post at all?


It's funny how you say you'll dumb it down for me, when everything we've told you has gone right over your head. Why is something like wikipedia not okay, while metal-archives is okay? You seem to not like wikipedia because you disagree with some peoples opinions on there. Do you realize that normal everyday people post information on wikipedia, just like with metal-archives. The people who wrote the BFMV page are not the same people who wrote the grindcore and crust pages. BFMV and all the other wikipedia pages you mentioned have nothing to do with the grindcore, crust etc pages. It's just like how metal-archives works. Why is this so hard for you to understand? And Druganov also mentioned last.fm yet you only flipped out on wikipedia. Information on last.fm or any other user based site has just as much chance of being incorrect as wikipedia has.

"I only want a definition for one genre, not mixes and hybrids." Do you not remember your original question? You asked what Hardcore, grindcore, goregrind, crust are. We're trying to explain it and give you sites with good information but you're being very stubborn. You must be new to extreme music or else you would have known that they are all hybrids and mixes of other genres. Is it really too hard to just go to youtube, listen to some songs and find out first hand?


If by "over your head" you mean pointing giving indirect answers because you just can't admit you don't know what they are but still want to "help" then yes. It doesn't take much to edit Wikipedia and I would think it certain that the people that frequent this sticky have far more knowledge and experience with it. You're right they're the same people that said BFMV is Metal it's the same website with tons and tons of false information, at least here something will be called "Metal"core not "Heavy Metal." There is a world of difference. And I do realize he mentioned last.fm but that is just too obviously retarded to even bother with because they both suck for the same reasons. You telling me to go to a site does not help, if you wanted to help (because you knew what those things were) you would say what they are and not send someone on a hunt for information. It's incredibly simple and you're thinking way too much about it the question when all I wanted was "This genre is this, that genre is that blah blah blah." And no, I'm not new I can tell you either didn't read the last post, didn't understand the last post, or have just run out of things to whine about and are grasping at straws. When I say I wanted a definition for a genre and you say it varies because there's so many bands with so many influences, you'd have to be fucking retarded to not get that they all have similar things in common. Since I don't like the music at all (like I said but you failed to understand/read or whatever), I shouldn't have to go through so many bands to find what those things are, because someone can do it for me (again what I said in the last post that you didn't get.) I really don't get how asking for a simple answer is being stubborn, you just seem mad because you don't want to admit you didn't understand the original request or couldn't answer it in the simplest radical form like anyone that really knew what they were talking about could.

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 pm 
 

Dude, just drop it already. We're all incompetant and stupid, we get it.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Poser Slayer Grindman Arselick Level X

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 2870
Location: Moon's Spawn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 pm 
 

The Powercup/Pizzahifive split rules tremendously.
_________________
Shane Embury's nudes

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 293
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm 
 

Good God Sanctium, you are fucking retarded. And you're totally right, I don't know what these genres are even though I own well over a thousand albums.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
 

theposega wrote:
The Powercup/Pizzahifive split rules tremendously.


Most definitely! One of my favorite releases this year. Have you heard the PHF/Archagathus split yet? I'm eager to hear that one...
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am 
 

Haha what the fuck happened in here?!

Thirding the ruleage of the PC/PHF split.

Also, thirding the need for early BT worship with more blasting!
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Poser Slayer Grindman Arselick Level X

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 2870
Location: Moon's Spawn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 am 
 

Dragunov wrote:
theposega wrote:
The Powercup/Pizzahifive split rules tremendously.


Most definitely! One of my favorite releases this year. Have you heard the PHF/Archagathus split yet? I'm eager to hear that one...


I haven't, but I'm sure it'll rule. Canadian Horse and the few splits I have of Archagathus are fucking awesome.
_________________
Shane Embury's nudes

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am 
 

Dragunov wrote:
theposega wrote:
The Powercup/Pizzahifive split rules tremendously.


Most definitely! One of my favorite releases this year. Have you heard the PHF/Archagathus split yet? I'm eager to hear that one...



Really liked the Pizza Hi-five Infernal stronghold split, will have to track this down.

Saw PH5 live here in Brooklyn and the guitarist's strings snapped so he played the whole set with a bass. It was funny, and energetic... but I don't know about good.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Sanctium
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Tenenesse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Good God Sanctium, you are fucking retarded. And you're totally right, I don't know what these genres are even though I own well over a thousand albums.


Then you should just say what they are if you know some much? :scratch:

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm 
 

Sanctium wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Good God Sanctium, you are fucking retarded. And you're totally right, I don't know what these genres are even though I own well over a thousand albums.


Then you should just say what they are if you know some much? :scratch:



You're lucky mods don't care about this thread otherwise you would have been banned a bit ago.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 pm 
 

Looking for more pissed off, heavy and violent power violence like Sex Prisoner, Mind Eraser, Hatred Surge, Despise You, etc. If it's obvious skip it, if not let me know

Key points
-pissed off and vicious vocals
-beatdown sections
-beatdown sections
-beatdown sections
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 88  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MonumentalBlackArt and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group