Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:32 pm 

Why do we not allow them? I mean, if they appear on the album, should they not recieve credit?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 pm 

Once I asked the same question and MalignantThrone wrote:
Because most compilations are composed of material drawn from other non-compilation albums. If you know which albums have material that is included on the compilation, then you can find the lineup on those albums' respective pages - listing the lineup on the compilation's page would be redundant in such a situation. But aside from that, listing band members for a compilation that spans multiple eras of the band would be a mess. Imagine seeing this on the lineup page of a compilation album with 13 songs:

Harry - Vocals (tracks 2, 4-6, 9-13)
Joseph - Vocals (tracks 1, 3)
Mac - Vocals (tracks 7-8)
Horace - Guitars (tracks 1-3, 7, 12)
George - Guitars (track 4)
Bob - Guitars (tracks 5-6)
Derek - Guitars (tracks 8-11, 13)
Bob - Bass (tracks 2, 5, 7-9, 13)
Billy - Bass (tracks 1, 3-4, 10-12)
Leo - Bass (track 6)
Luke - Drums (tracks 1-2)
Josh - Drums (tracks 3, 7, 9, 12)
Manny - Drums (tracks 4-6, 8, 10-11)

As you can see, it would look atrocious.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm 

Looking back on that comment, I agree with it if by a "compilation album", we're talking about a sort of "best of" or "greatest hits" album. I keep thinking more and more, though, that there needs to be an option that would allow a user to add lineups on compilation albums, because there are some that do have a solid, consistent lineup (for example, most albums consisting entirely of cover songs) and there's no need to put a choke hold on their lineups if that's the case. Maybe if there was a box that only Veterans/trusted users could check to enable a compilation's band lineup.

And while we're on the subject of compilation lineups, I think the higher-ups should stop restricting roles in the miscellaneous field. I know that you're probably afraid that dumb users will add the band lineup there, but at the same time there are a lot of really specific lineup roles that usually can't be added because they're not one of the preset fields. Perhaps you could wipe these restrictions, and then just put a big red bold warning telling users not to add the actual musicians to the Misc. section...?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:45 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
(for example, most albums consisting entirely of cover songs) and there's no need to put a choke hold on their lineups if that's the case.

Albums consisting entirely of cover songs are considered full-lengths, not compilations. They are only compilations if the album in question is a compilation of covers songs that the band recorded throughout their carrer.

Quote:
And while we're on the subject of compilation lineups, I think the higher-ups should stop restricting roles in the miscellaneous field. I know that you're probably afraid that dumb users will add the band lineup there, but at the same time there are a lot of really specific lineup roles that usually can't be added because they're not one of the preset fields. Perhaps you could wipe these restrictions, and then just put a big red bold warning telling users not to add the actual musicians to the Misc. section...?

If there are any specific roles missing, just request them and we'll decide whether we should add them or not.

Total_Soul_Rape
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:20 pm 

Hey,

You said you don't allow them?
But how does it come that i find Compilation albums that do allow line ups?
Like this album for example?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... ons/339875

It has the whole line up right there.
Which is kinda huge.

While this album has no line up.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fo ... day/352760
And those are actually only 3 artists.
2 members and 1 guest!

I think the line up's should be allowed for all.

Hailz

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:37 pm 

It's a bug with the site where you can initially add a release as a normal album, and with it, add an entire lineup, but then change the album type to 'Compilation', and it will keep the full lineup on the page.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Reply to topic